• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Blizzard just trademark its next WoW expansion?

Weenerz

Banned
According to www.MMO-Champion.com Blizzard just filed for "Mists of Pandaria", and they are thinking it will be an expansion and not a book of some kind. As a former WoW addict, it is a bit upsetting with the trend of Blizzard churning out expansions at a faster rate, while charging or soon to be charging for "premium" content, like sending your BoAs to other realms. And with them showing off their Real Money AH in Diablo 3, it just feels like Blizzard is becoming more like Activision every single day.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2399-Mists-of-Pandaria

g5UGN.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is Pandaria actually big enough for an expansion pack?

I would have guessed them chasing down Kil'jaeden in the Twisting Nether, but at that point they would pretty much be out of people to fight except Sargeras.

Weenerz

Banned
Yes, much more important to pick that out of whatever I said. I probably fucked up other things in the OP as well.

Thanks to whoever edited the topic, should have proof read the title a few more times so the babies could focus on the thread.

you don't understand what the real money AH accomplishes. it is meant to counteract the rampant item selling and bot spam that plagued diablo 2.

Weenerz

Banned
warbegins said:
you don't understand what the real money AH accomplishes. it is meant to counteract the rampant item selling and bot spam that plagued diablo 2.

And a percentage goes to Blizzard, which is their main intention. Don't kid yourself.

Tucah

you speak so well
Pandaren are pretty cool but it'll take more than that to get me back into WoW after TOR. One MMO is enough for me.

Belfast

Weenerz said:
According to www.MMO-Champion.com Blizzard just filed for "Mists of Pandaria", and they are thinking it will be an expansion and not a book of some kind. As a former WoW addict, it is a bit upsetting with the trend of Blizzard churning out expansions at a faster rate, while charging or soon to be charging for "premium" content, like sending your BoAs to other realms. And with them showing off their Real Money AH in Diablo 3, it just feels like Blizzard is becoming more like Activision every single day.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2399-Mists-of-Pandaria

g5UGN.jpg

Geez, man. Are you kidding? If anything they need to crank up the content production!

gillty

Banned
Well according to the leaked product schedule that has been accurate so far an expansion is due 2012 q2. I would assume it would be at blizzcon if true.

I agree though that Blizzards recent business practices have been disappointing.

Weenerz

Banned
Belfast said:
Geez, man. Are you kidding? If anything they need to crank up the content production!

Cataclysm has been out less than a year, I didn't say they need to stop adding content, they just need to stop cashing in on expansions and do the patches they promised.

Weenerz said:
And a percentage goes to Blizzard, which is their main intention. Don't kid yourself.
so you would rather have faceless botters raking in the dough with no recourse if they decide to scam people. got it.

Soule

I'm not too bummed at the pace they churn out the expansions but I do raise my eyebrow to it (however keep in mind it's not like they're announcing it, this is just a trademark), oh well not really my problem anymore as I haven't played in a few months.

And seeing as how it was brought up I support the decision in D3 for the realm money AH.

Kifimbo

Cataclysm trademark had a similar description.

Computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold together as a unit; downloadable computer game software; interactive multimedia computer game program; mousepads

Weenerz said:
the trend of Blizzard churning out expansions at a faster rate

More noise has been made about major WoW content patches coming further and further apart than the reverse. Faster expansion releases are highly desirable.

I'm sure the vast majority of WoW players are thrilled at the increased rate of content production, regardless of whether it's an expansion or a patch. Hell, the main reason that most people I know stop playing is because it stagnates and you're left waiting for the next big raid.

Of course, this really doesn't apply to a large part of the userbase, as most don't even get to the end game.

As for the whole BoA transfer stuff, that's pretty much just an extension of character transfers and the like. If the user base demands it, Blizzard (slowly) get around to it.

Belfast

I'd actually like to see this as a mini-expansion of sorts, since it is unlikely to have an impact on the story at large. New race, few low-level starter zones, maybe a new high-level zone with a raid and a dungeon?

Weenerz

Banned
HotHamWater said:
I'm sure the vast majority of WoW players are thrilled at the increased rate of content production, regardless of whether it's an expansion or a patch. Hell, the main reason that most people I know stop playing is because it stagnates and you're left waiting for the next big raid.

Of course, this really doesn't apply to a large part of the userbase, as most don't even get to the end game.

As for the whole BoA transfer stuff, that's pretty much just an extension of character transfers and the like. If the user base demands it, Blizzard (slowly) get around to it.

I just don't see the "vast majority" of WoW players being excited about spending another $40 for an expansion when they just did that, on top of paying a monthly fee. How many content patches have they released for Cataclysm? And they have already re-hashed two instances, while they added and tweaked some of it's content, it's still re-hashing it.

brewmaster. What else would go with pandaria?
Weenerz said:
I just don't see the "vast majority" of WoW players being excited about spending another $40 for an expansion when they just did that, on top of paying a monthly fee. How many content patches have they released for Cataclysm? And they have already re-hashed two instances, while they added and tweaked some of it's content, it's still re-hashing it.
its again

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So the expansion is going add this location? http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaria a bit underwhelming tbh, would have rather have seen - the great sea, twilight nether, emerald dream etc. Unless there's going be more to the expansion than Pandaria.

Majine

Banned
Couldn't it just be a content patch? The wording definately falls in the line with "Rage of the Firelands" and such.

Weenerz said:

You act like this is coming out next week. It's a trademark. One that could just as easily be for a Trading Card Game.

Your post's actually remind me of Barrens chat and the WoW forums, full of incredible over reaction at the slightest thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lafiel said:
So the expansion is going add this location? http://www.wowpedia.org/Pandaria a bit underwhelming tbh, would have rather have seen - the great sea, twilight nether, emerald dream etc. Unless there's going be more to the expansion than Pandaria.
Unless they've just thrown any semblance of lore logic out, Pandaria would have to be a pretty small place.

Majine said:
Couldn't it just be a content patch? The wording definately falls in the line with "Rage of the Firelands" and such.
I don't think you need to trademark patch names.

Dragon

Banned
Weenerz said:
Yes, much more important to pick that out of whatever I said. I probably fucked up other things in the OP as well.

Thanks to whoever edited the topic, should have proof read the title a few more times so the babies could focus on the thread.

I think when it's in the thread title people have the propensity to point it out. Are you a native English speaker? Maybe it's just a pet peeve but I don't like when people mess up it's/its or you're/your or there/their/they're.

Weenerz said:

I know some WoW players (the sixty-plus psychos in my old guild) that will lose their shit over playing pandarans.

They were about as close as you can get to the token WoW demographic that you can get.

Home

Sounds like a good thing to me if they're announcing it this early, with Cata coming out just last december. Hopefully it means that the rest of thier content production for cata is going well and there won't be huge gaps between raids like WoTLK (yes I know Firelands took a long damn time).

I don't play anymore but I remember the time between TBC and WOTLK to be ridiculously long, and the same for wotlk to cata. All the big changes to the world happen in the expansions, new races etc. I'll probably dive in again when this comes out.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nirolak said:
Unless they've just thrown any semblance of lore logic out, Pandaria would have to be a pretty small place.
Blizzard throwing out lore logic? Na they definitely wouldn't do that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nirolak said:
Is Pandaria actually big enough for an expansion pack?

I would have guessed them chasing down Kil'jaeden in the Twisting Nether, but at that point they would pretty much be out of people to fight except Sargeras.

Yeah I don't see it. Pandaria is sort of meant as a joke.

Twisting Nether / Emerald Dream is much more likely for an expansion pack.

Belfast

Weenerz said:
Cataclysm has been out less than a year, I didn't say they need to stop adding content, they just need to stop cashing in on expansions and do the patches they promised.

That's cool. But part of their last business call did state they were basically going to push more paid expansions. :(

Thoraxes

It'll probably be Pandaren stuff, and there will probably be Naga lore.
If any guess is good, i'd be willing to bet we'll see a great sea expansion with Azshara at the end of it.

Also probably playable Nagas.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ZealousD said:
Yeah I don't see it. Pandaria is sort of meant as a joke.

Twisting Nether / Emerald Dream is much more likely for an expansion pack.
I guess you could technically have that in a Pandaria based expansion pack, at least one of the two.

Thoraxes said:
It'll probably be Pandaren stuff, and there will probably be Naga lore.
If any guess is good, i'd be willing to bet we'll see a great sea expansion with Azshara at the end of it.

Also probably playable Nagas.
That is another interesting possibility.

Kifimbo

By the way, to give you an idea, Cataclysm was trademarked in July 2009 and announced a month later during the Blizzcon.

Trojita said:
Blizzard throwing out lore logic? Na they definitely wouldn't do that.

True, but there's also the fact that news about Pandaria related content always comes out when the internet is angry with Blizzard :p

cdyhybrid

Playable Pandaren Brewmasters would be the only thing they could do to make me even consider resubbing. Of course, they would have to actually make the game fun to play before I'd actually do it.

Top Bottom