• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Sells Close To 3 Million Worldwide

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Warner has announced that Mortal Kombat has sold nearly 3 million copies world wide.

MCVUK said:
"We are very pleased with the success of Mortal Kombat so far," says Tremblay, adding that the game has now sold close to 3m units worldwide.

"With the launch of Mortal Kombat, we have already paid for the acquisition of the Midway assets, and we are just beginning to leverage this acquisition with much more to come."
Source: http://content.yudu.com/A1thlc/MCV120811/resources/22.htm

For comparison, here are the sales of other fighting games as of June 30th, 2011 (Capcom), March 2011 (SSB Brawl), May 12th, 2011 (Tekken 6), and March 2009 (Soul Calibur IV):

SSB Brawl: 10.27 Million
Tekken 6: 3.5 Million
Street Fighter IV: 3.1 Million
Soul Calibur IV: 2.3 Million
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: 2.0 Million
Super Street Fighter IV: 1.6 Million

If anyone has final shipment numbers for Soul Calibur IV, that would be greatly appreciated, since then we can see how the fighting game rebirth went as a whole.

Busty

Banned
This is the most interesting part of the article...

With the launch of Mortal Kombat, we have already paid for the acquisition of the Midway assets...

Warners have made some really smart deals in their quest to become a player in the gaming scene and I'm glad that investing in the original creative team behind Mortal Kombat has paid off for them.

Hopefully WB will continue to pick quality development teams out of the wreckage of their original owners (THQ and Codemasters I'm looking at you) and keep people making games and keep them working!

KingDizzi

Banned
It seems every single big game these days does really big numbers, simply every big game and by that I mean games that get a decent amount of advertising. Won't be any shock about that but it's weird how publishers struggle even when most of them have games which can do 3+ million with ease. Mortal Kombat basically shipped most of that in one region, I think it dropped off the charts in the PAL regions. Already getting ready for PAL threads where we get info on how FIFA 12 is bigger than Jebus and MW3 is the second coming. It has got to be something like huge advertising budgets which means so many publishers struggle right? For example I've seen BF3, MW3 and Gears 3 adverts during football games months ago, shit can't be cheap.

Kafel said:

Dropped in price quickly.

Alrus

Mortal Kombat was always extremely popular, even when people considered the game to be shitty (but Midway couldn't survive on the back of one single franchise), so it was a given that this one was gonna sell great since it felt more like classic MK =)

schick85 said:
Wow at the 3 million. Japanese aren't even into the MK series.

Fighting games haven't sold that great in japan for while. US/EU are the main market for the genre.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Busty said:
Hopefully WB will continue to pick quality development teams out of the wreckage of their original owners (THQ and Codemasters I'm looking at you) and keep people making games and keep them working!
They have such a good quality of developers already.

Rocksteady Studios (Batman)
Snowblinds Studios (Champions of Norrath, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance)
NetherRealm Studios (Mortal Kombat)
Monolith Productions (Condemned, F.E.A.R.)
TT Games (Lego cashcow ;-))

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
bandresen said:
They have such a good quality of developers already.

Rocksteady Studios (Batman)
Snowblinds Studios (Champions of Norrath, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance)
NetherRealm Studios (Mortal Kombat)
Monolith Productions (Condemned, F.E.A.R.)
TT Games (Lego cashcow ;-))
They also bought Turbine (Dungeons & Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online) fairly recently.

REV 09

well deserved. GoTY so far for me, and a new standard for fighting games on consoles. Post release support has been great too. I hope they do another season of characters.

gunbo13 said:
Large international followings all over.
Yes, so many people forget about this when talking about NPDs. In so many podcasts I hear people disappointed at like 500k NPD sales for example, but they are totally missing that NPD is US only and that if it sold 500k on the NPDs, it probably sold over a million copies overall.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Busaiku

gunbo13 said:
Large international followings all over.
It still makes no sense.
It was barely a factor in Europe (didn't debut too high, and was gone after 3 weeks), and all 3 versions only did about 310k in Japan.

Where does Namco keep sending them.

It's nice to see that fighters are doing this well - now I'm just hoping that the net code for these games get sophisticated enough to have arcade-like experiences online, that'd be sweet.

Top Bottom