Leaks have begun...
I give you a screenshot of part of the WvWvW map
Official stance seems to be that it is OK to discuss it
since it has leaked, but anyone who is involved in any testing is breaking the NDA by releasing it...
Originally Posted by Kvinna:
Just to let you guys know, we do not condone leaking information that's currently under the NDA, ever. Questions about what has already been exposed will not be answered and we will be taking a more forceful stance against anyone that decides that the NDA does not matter.
Edit: Sorry, I'm editing this because I don't agree with what I previously wrote. It was a hasty response after waking up to see a bunch of PM's, reports and other communications.
You guys are free to discuss what has already been leaked. We don't want to stop you from doing that. The information is out there so why not talk about it?
Anyway, the above screenshot is basically part of the center map in WvWvW. The overall game will take place on 4 "maps" that people are moving between. There is the central map, then three outer "Home" maps.
What is shown in that screenshot is only part of the central map. There is basically a fog of war on areas not explored by the player, and most of the map wasn't explored by the player at that point...
Here is a sketch/theory on what may be in the unexplored regions
So, the screenshot is basically a third of one of the four maps. So, it isn't even close to the full size of the map... Players go through a portal to get into the other zones, which will have their own maps, and the entire battle plays across the four zones. This is definitely where most of the fighting will happen given that it is the central map, but that isn't to say that you won't see fighting in the other zones.
For reference of scale, if it is using the same proportions that the previous maps have been using, then Castle Bailey is roughly the same size as Lion's Arch or Ironforge(WoW), both of which are pretty large.
Other pieces of information coming from the source of the leak...
- There are three teams; Blue, Red and Green
- The castle is in the centre of the map. To the north of the castle, but not visible on the released screenshot, is the Red team's base
- In order to see the darkened areas on the map, you must explore those areas
- Each team has access to a waypoint to their home base and to other significant areas of the map when you take control of them. For example the keep and castle should provide a waypoint once captured
- Supplies are used to make siege weapons. Helping out the NPCs at the Lumber and Mine camps will provide your team with these supplies
- There are small NPC towns located on the map. Helping them will enable them to aid your team. For example they will attack the enemy keeps, mines etc.
We also don't know that this is the entire central map... There may be more space extending out beyond the portals with other strategic points.
It also may be a reduced scale map for use at upcoming Conventions or press events(obviously, having a map designed for thousands that can only be played by hundreds wouldn't work). We don't really have any information or context given that this is a leak.