• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

woober said:
I don't like it. That feature actually gave the squad leader some meaning and a function.

I'll bet they got a stack of data that showed the squad leader getting killed over and over, and people having no one to spawn on.

That would fix itself in clan matches etc, but it looks like they decided to balance for the majority instead of the minority (which is...well...I've got mixed feelings about that).

That completely ruins the subway. One guy can hide way up, and just let people spawn on him. Arm the A MCOM (in the bathroom) alone, and your entire squad can spawn on you, even if you aren't the leader.

Meh.

I see a lot of talk about how BF3 pre-order sales are up 2,300% or whatever over BF2 pre-order sales. Does anyone know what BF2 pre-order sales actually were? How many copies were pre-ordered of BF2? Trying to extrapolate an actual number for BF3.

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:
I'll bet they got a stack of data that showed the squad leader getting killed over and over, and people having no one to spawn on.

That would fix itself in clan matches etc, but it looks like they decided to balance for the majority instead of the minority (which is...well...I've got mixed feelings about that).

That completely ruins the subway. One guy can hide way up, and just let people spawn on him. Arm the A MCOM (in the bathroom) alone, and your entire squad can spawn on you, even if you aren't the leader.

Meh.
If only squad spawning actually worked in the alpha.

LordCanti

mr_nothin said:
If only squad spawning actually worked in the alpha.

It did at points. I'd imagine they can pinpoint those points in their data.

I just got to the 8 minute mark in that interview, and he does come right out and say that you can spawn on anyone in the squad. Squad leader just became a completely useless position, with a nice big star over your head that will probably draw fire from the enemy.

Kyaw

LordCanti said:

I just got to the 8 minute mark in that interview, and he does come right out and say that you can spawn on anyone in the squad. Squad leader just became a completely useless position, with a nice big star over your head that will probably draw fire from the enemy.

So they are useful! :D

paskowitz

Mr. Snrub said:
Battling with GAF's painful list options, but I got a text version of everything from the info sheets, for anyone interested:

[*]Attack Jets
  • A-10 Thunderbolt

a-10-0SC002.JPG

My body is ready!

belvedere

Junior Butler
LordCanti said:

Same here. He even acknowledged that it was a hotly debated topic but what they ultimately decided upon. I think they should at least try both configurations in beta.

Interesting that comarose "came in hot". They must have listened to all of us alpha's bitching!

Also, comarose only on PC?

mr_nothin

Banned
LordCanti said:

Yea I know but what I mean is that most people just probably assumed there was something they werent getting when it came to squad spawning. I heard tons of ppl asking how the squad spawning works. They probably didnt even bother when it actually did work.

Blah, that killed a little bit of the hype for me. I'm hoping they change it.

Arucardo

demolitio said:
Holy shit! I didn't even notice the 60mm mortar on that list. That brings back a lot of good BF memories. Maybe the AH-6 can be my FO for me and tell me exactly where the shells were dropping and what changes to make. I can see a lot of teamwork moments for my friends. :)
I'm thinking that it's just the mortar strike that the recon class had in BC2.

Regarding the squad perks on that fact sheet, how do you guys think those will work?

I'm guessing only the squad leader can equip them, otherwise it might result in a clever squad having 4 perks..

LordCanti

Arucardo said:
I'm thinking that it's just the mortar strike that the recon class had in BC2.

I'm hoping it's not that at all. I want to set up a mortar, and actually drop shells in.

Also..how has no one mentioned the anti-mine robot yet? How awesome is it that you can literally just drive a little robot around and take out enemy mines (and claymores potentially)? Epic.

Tunavi

Banned
Hands down, thats the best trailer I've ever seen for a game. No bullshit, all glorious gameplay, so fucking sick. Hyped.

edit: comment on youtube: thumbs up if your watching this in 2011. wtf

Kyaw

Tunavi said:
Hands down, thats the best trailer I've ever seen for a game. No bullshit, all glorious gameplay, so fucking sick. Hyped.

I agree. They weren't hyperbol-ing when they said it was 'EPIC' on twitter.

Yes. I was pretty damned impressed with MW3's Spec Ops trailer, but this takes the cake.

SensualSeduction said:
Why are there 2 P90's in the game ?

The P90TR is just a P90 with a silencer and upper rail..

I kinda get the feeling that list was hastily put together by some intern. There are a few typo's.

updated the GIFs and lowered their filesize a bit:

what do you think, use that method or the classic raw image link?

CLICK TO SEE THE ACTION

Keasar

LordCanti said:
Also..how has no one mentioned the anti-mine robot yet? How awesome is it that you can literally just drive a little robot around and take out enemy mines (and claymores potentially)? Epic.
I have several times. :p
I am totally into knowing what it is, what it can do, its exact role, how it is controlled and etc etc.

LordCanti

Keasar said:
I have several times. :p
I am totally into knowing what it is, what it can do, its exact role, how it is controlled and etc etc.

Sorry. Posts are going by so fast, that it is hard to keep track.

jbQTiqiaB.gif

I just realized that there is an ammo counter in this shot. No infinite ammo for vehicles, confirmed?

Kyaw

Also that is not a UAV as most of us in the mumble channel thought.

It's the gunner seat of a helicopter.

I don't think the ammo is limited though, it's just not burst fire like BC2.

LordCanti said:

jbQTiqiaB.gif

I just realized that there is an ammo counter in this shot. No infinite ammo for vehicles, confirmed?

It says 22/0, 0 = infinite maybe?

Cain't call it mayne

Edit: I'm pretty sure I've seen the x/0 for ammo in BC2 and it was infinite

LordCanti

Kyaw said:
Also that is not a UAV as most of us in the mumble channel thought.

It's the gunner seat of a helicopter.

I don't think the ammo is limited though, it's just not burst fire like BC2.

It says 22/0 on the ammo counter, and 22 on the vehicle HUD. Do you think it automatically refills after you deplete that ammo?

I'd kind of be happy to learn that ammo wasn't infinite. Gives people an incentive not to shell mindlessly.

sw33tclyde said:
It says 22/0, 0 = infinite maybe?

I guess it could be interpreted that way as well. We'll have to wait and see.

Keasar

LordCanti said:

jbQTiqiaB.gif

I think its gonna work like in the alpha on the APC, you have a magazine on the veichle, shoot it until it runs out and then it will reload.

LordCanti

Keasar said:
I think its gonna work like in the alpha on the APC, you have a magazine on the veichle, shoot it until it runs out and then it will reload.

Was the LAV X/0 ammo as well? I can't find any screenshots that I took inside a LAV to check.

Edit: Found screenshots. It is X/0.

Oh well. Nevermind.

I won't be complaining as I indiscriminately launch missile after missile out of my jet.

Animator said:
They already said all maps are available for all modes from day one

I'm also assuming the 4 pre order bonus maps aren't included with the 9 maps shipping on the disc, correct?

This will bring the total map count to 13 then?

dLMN8R

ii Stryker said:
I'm also assuming the 4 pre order bonus maps aren't included with the 9 maps shipping on the disc, correct?

Yes. The Karkand maps won't even be released until a while after the game comes out.

Keasar

ii Stryker said:

.....good point, I hadnt thought of that. Well then I am good. :)

mr_nothin

Banned
ii Stryker said:

It's 9 maps not including the Karkand expansion. Demize answered that on twitter.

JWong

Banned
So about the music...

I think it's pretty obvious it was the original BF theme from the beginning. I think it's slowly sounding like the original as it gets closer to release.

LordCanti

Tallshortman said:
Co-op looks decent though not groundbreaking. 64p conquest looks insanely fun though.

At one point in the interview, it sounded like he let slip that there would be planes in the co-op mode at some point. Could be interesting.

I'm definitely hoping for a map maker, so that we don't have to rely on DICE for new maps. I have a feeling that EA is going to keep that from happening though, so that they can sell DLC to a captive audience.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Kyaw said:
It would be kinda realistic but seeing as this is no sim (probably half working gauges), i would want to be in 'combat' view at all times.

I cannot wait for the beta... and the imminent press failures at trying to fly on Thursday.

Also from the latest interview, you can spawn on any squad members now.

Yes! Like this much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom