• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: The Xbox 360's 10 Year Lifecycle Could Overlap With Next-Gen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Today, Microsoft's European head made a fairly obvious statement, though most interesting was his lack of denial that the next Xbox will be unveiled at E3 2012.

Metro said:
GameCentral: You’ll be well aware that everyone thinks you’re going to announce a new console at E3 next year. When you were talking about the Xbox 360 lasting 10 years did you mean 10 unbroken years without a successor or just a 10 year lifespan at retail?

Chris Lewis: Well, we think we’re more than halfway through but given we are still growing, we think we’re at a healthy part in the life cycle still because we’ve pumped this adrenaline into the arm of the business with Kinect and the scope and scale of what that means for publishers and developers I think is huge. And indeed with Xbox Live which does truly stand us apart from everybody else. So we think we’re a little over halfway with the life cycle of the console, but that’s not to say there won’t be an overlap…

GameCentral: So those 10 years, they won’t be the Xbox 360 alone? The Xbox 720, or whatever it’s called, will presumably be leaking into some of those 10 years?

Chris Lewis: Could possibly be the case. I’m not going to announce specifically or talk about timing. But you could imagine there could be overlap, it depends. We’re not being specific about the next generation at this stage. We’re very fixated on what we’re doing right now and the success we’re enjoying.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...rlap-with-360s-10-year-lifespan#ixzz1VSovJnhG
Source: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...xbox-could-overlap-with-360s-10-year-lifespan

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If the new Xbox comes out in 2014, the 360 will be 9 years old by then. So it really doesn't matter if it overlaps or not.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
all i see here is a microsoft exec being evasive over the question of possibly releasing a new console by xmas TWENTY FIFTEEN.

itsgreen

Was pretty obvious indeed...

But still should make it clear for people who though it would 10 years dedicated to 360.

Seems pretty expected since MS has every reason to keep supporting a system that is successful and growing. Live will be the bridge for X360 owners to cross over with to the next one, obviously. Also, this may allow for the strong probability that the successor hardware platform will start off on the high-end at $399 to stay a reasonable distance from the old system which should be $99.99 to $129.99 or so by next gen release. I don't think anyone is leaving this current gen as abruptly and poorly-supported as the last one just to move on to the new hardware as they all surely recognize the value of properly bridging platforms directly and leading consumers to their next entertainment trough as seamlessly as possible. Sony now has PSN to connect the platforms and Ninty has...who the fuck knows, really.

So this pretty much guarantees an E3 2012 reveal then.

I do hope the rumours about them pushing the release date forward by a year in response to the Wii U are not true. Last thing MS need is another RROD fiasco (and this back peddling comment here doesn't inspire much confidence)

Osietra

Banned
What would be awesome is if they announce this to the press at E3 with the bombshell that the audience are actually literally sitting on the next console. How cool would that be? The next xbox is a chair. It could have cool secret compartments and everything, with vibro-feedback fully integrated into the cushions etc.

GavinGT

Banned
I see nothing there that indicates there will be a new Xbox at next year's E3. He doesn't even acknowledge that part of the question. Why would they? 360's in a great place right now.

TheOddOne

Turning 10: Chris Lewis on Xbox’s past, present, future
Right, last one. And I have to ask this. There’s an awful lot of talk about you announcing your next console at E3 next year. Have you got anything to say about that?

Look at where we are now. We’re still growing. You knew I’d say this.

I said it to Dom outside.

No plans to announce anything. We think we’re in great shape. Consumers think we’re in great shape. We offer good value. We’re fixated on this generation, and our publishing and development partners love the consistency that that brings. Huge growth ahead of us, and nothing to announce.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Raonak said:
Huh. since when did MS jump on the 10 year plan wagon?
Since Sony said they had a 10 year life cycle for the PS3 and used it as a fear tactic to scare consumers into believing the Xbox 360 would be replaced as fast as the original Xbox. Microsoft countered by saying the X360 would last 1 day more than the PS3.

onken said:
Yeah I don't think anybody wasn't expecting a 2012 reveal.

I doubt one.

Halo 4 is coming in late 2012, for Xbox 360. Which means Xbox 3 is not coming in 2012, period. Why talk about a successor console that wont be due until late 2013? It doesn't make any sense.

I think they might show a vague no-gameplay teaser for next gen at e3 2012, that is the most I can possibly imagine them doing.

He does not seem to deny that nextbox will be unveiled at E3 12 though. It's nothing concrete, and i'm not sure whether to construe his responses as denials or not, but you'd think he could have just issued a more clear denial.

2013 at the soonest, which would follow the xbox 1 to 360 transition with a Halo releasing the year before. Because of the complications from a console launch the install base will not justify a Halo release despite all hardware units selling through.

Busty

Banned
While I think we'll see a new Xbox in 2014 (or whenever) I just don't think we'll get a big reveal of the next console at E3 next year.

I may be in the minority here but it still feels too early for a new console reveal and with the economy the way it is people aren't going to want to hear about the next big consumer electronic expenditure.

But that's just me. I do love to kill buzz.

Omikaru

2012: Halo 4 on 360.
2013: Next-generation Xbox launches.
2014: Halo 5 on next-generation Xbox.
2015: 360 discontinued.

Believe it. And I bet you we'll see similar movements from Sony with the PS4. Something tells me Sony won't let Microsoft get a year long head start on them this time around.

Medalion

Banned
Despite people mock the Wii U's potential

Microsoft and Sony would be stupid to give the Wii U a year or 2 head start

Sophia

Wasn't Microsoft working on some forward compatibility some time ago? I remember hearing something about it ages ago, but I don't recall anything coming of it.

kadotsu

Banned
Medalion said:
Despite people mock the Wii U's potential

Microsoft and Sony would be stupid to give the Wii U a year or 2 head start

To be fair in terms of shared tech, which 3rd partys care about they are playing 6 year catch-up. If Nintendo however decides to go for a standart that could host "next gen" titles Sony and MS would be pressured. My guess is still end of 2013 or early 2014.

I think people should be more patient. The longer they wait, the bigger the leap in technology there will be. In other words; If the console releases in late 2013, early 2014, there is a bigger chance that the new hardware will allow for more than just a few new graphical whistles.

We all want generation leaps to allow gameplay not possible in the previous generation.

Furthermore, when these new consoles launches the developers will be unexperienced as shit with the new hardware. I say, let them take their time and build something really good.

Fou-Lu

Well, I've already decided I'm not buying a Microsoft console again unless they do something incredible, so I don't care if it's one year or four until the next xbox. Really hoping for some PS4 info at E3'12 though.

Withnail said:
I thought this was obvious.
If you go through older threads, it doesn't seem obvious to most people and no, I don't know why. It's funny to see everyone freaking out about this, just because someone from MS talked about a 10 year cycle.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
2012 reveal 2013 launch and a couple years of overlap sounds right before stopping sales of the old one.

Raide

360 = super cheap entry-level console. (sub $99)
720 = high end fancy next-gen machine for hardcore adopters.

Make is so MS!

unless their plans has changed very recently, they won't announce any new console in 2012, at least not at e3; they specifically addressed this and said that they will focus on Live platform for the next e3. I think we should look at e3 2013 and an early 2014 release.

Raide said:
360 = super cheap entry-level console. (sub $99)
720 = high end fancy next-gen machine for hardcore adopters.

Make is so MS!
Almost like Sega did with Master System/Mega Drive, I liked the idea then too (my parents could only afford the 8-bit way), but I don't know if it really did Sega any good :S

theskat

Banned
I just want E3 2012 Microsoft conference end with the word "Imagine...." and then show a 30 second clip that TOTALLY blows whatever then-current PC game out of this world! Then the numbers 2014 blur for just for the tinyest moment on the screen, and then... silence. Then, let the GAF meltdown begins. :D

Medalion

Banned
theskat said:
I just want E3 2012 Microsoft conference end with the word "Imagine...." and then show a 30 second clip that TOTALLY blows whatever then-current PC game out of this world! Then the numbers 2014 blur for just for the tinyest moment on the screen, and then... silence. Then, let the GAF meltdown begins. :D
Imagine is right because that is not gonna happen...any of that

ghst

thanks for the laugh
theskat said:
pressed with desperate circumstances, the console die hard now turn to e3 fanfic.

Omikaru

theskat said:
And by the time the system launches, PC has already surpassed it.

I hope Microsoft show what appears to be a Halo 4 pre-rendered cinematic, only for them to announce that it is in fact running in real time on the Xbox Next.

BLagiver

Banned
It will be a sad 10 years with just kinect crap, multiplats and halo 15, 16, 17 and forza 8, 9, 10. Then you add in the 60 dollars times 10 and you have 600 dollars you could of saved in XBL fees. In this economy every penny counts bros.

TheOddOne

BLagiver said:
It will be a sad 10 years with just kinect crap, multiplats and halo 15, 16, 17 and forza 8, 9, 10. Then you add in the 60 dollars times 10 and you have 600 dollars you could of saved in XBL fees. In this economy every penny counts bros.
Smh.

Chinner

Banned
theskat said:
and then it has like a picture of a PC which says "$3000" and next to it is the new xbox and it says "$299" and then they announce xbox live is free.

Rolf NB

Feels like it was only yesterday when Xbox fans pointed at laughed at Sony for saying the same thing. Like so many things this gen that are no longer exclusive, I'm glad we can talk about this intelligently now.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
theskat said:
Yeah sure, with a misleading tech demo.

Top Bottom