• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. - Japan goes CRAZY [Screenshots - 1080p/No AA?]

Ratrat

Bomber Bob said:
been playing for like 30min

extremely lazy port
You mean direct, with absolutely no changes, tweaking right? Thats about expected tbh. I haven't played it on psp so its all new for me but there doesn't seem to be much incentive for people who have besides hd+3d.

TheExodu5

Banned
Actually, wait...if I use my DS3 to play Monster Hunter on the PSP Go, can I use the right analog stick to control the camera?

Ratrat said:
You mean direct, with absolutely no changes, tweaking right? Thats about expected tbh. I haven't played it on psp so its all new for me but there doesn't seem to be much incentive for people who have besides hd+3d.

I actually think this is the psp version almost untouched running on an emulator.

2d gfx is extremely blocky

6xo9u.jpg

iNMI9.jpg

e8lA7.jpg

smMwy.jpg

Alrus

Kurod said:
I would laugh
cry
so hard if the camera was still controlled by the d-pad.

Too bad, it's the superior way to play it :p Without "the claw" even. But it would be kind of weird to not have the option to have the camera on the second analog just like Tri.

Sseklebeast said:
Are you on a Japanese PS3? If not I was wondering if you could tell us if you were able to transfer data and play online?

yea japanese PS3, and sorry I've never played the psp version I dunno how it works.

TheExodu5 said:
Do the controls work like Monster Hunter Tri? Can you play online?

sorry never played tri

BooJoh

The scaled 2D elements look pretty bad/lazy, but I'll still buy it if they release it in America. I'd much rather have a portable version though.

It doesn't look like the best port but I will love to be able to play on my TV and with a DS3. That alone makes it worth it for me anyway. :)

BooJoh said:
The scaled 2D elements look pretty bad/lazy, but I'll still buy it if they release it in America. I'd much rather have a portable version though.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/28212079/About_Monster_Hunter_Portable_3rd_HD_ver.?pg=1 pretty much says that they aren't going to bother with 3rd HD in Europe or NA.

Capcom is basically asking Sony to do a bunch of work for a lazy-ass port when they can't even be bothered to localize the PSP version, which was the excuse for the lazy-ass effort.

TheExodu5 said:
Actually, wait...if I use my DS3 to play Monster Hunter on the PSP Go, can I use the right analog stick to control the camera?

nope :( it's still much better on a Go though, purely because of the dpad/stick positioning

BooJoh

Kyon

Banned
Sseklebeast said:
I use this and I am allowed to use Adhoc Party without a wired connection.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010TEOLQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's actually pretty convenient since my cable modem is on a different floor than my consoles. Works like a charm once you set it up. :)

OMG thanks! mine is on the first floor and ive been trying to not bring the ps3 downstairs and take out the sd tv out of the garage like i did for the past 2 years for the other portable games, so the used is $40 on amazon, would this work even though i already have a modem and everything? can i set it up upstairs? whats your set up? (sorry for all the questions)

Kyon said:
OMG thanks! mine is on the first floor and ive been trying to not bring the ps3 downstairs and take out the sd tv out of the garage like i did for the past 2 years for the other portable games, so the used is $40 on amazon, would this work even though i already have a modem and everything? can i set it up upstairs? whats your set up? (sorry for all the questions)

You can set it upstairs if you want. My cable modem and router are in my computer room which is downstairs from the room with my consoles. It's not hard to setup at all but the installation can be a bit buggy. If you end up getting one and you need help feel free to message me.

345triangle said:
you can definitely use pre-existing PSP save data on this, right? considering it.

At first I thought yeah we can use our existing PSP save data on P3rd HD! It turns out in the lastest firmware update, Japanese PS3s were the only systems to get special options in XMB to allow save transfer and even some adhoc options. People outside of Japan will be getting their copies tomorrow ( mine is coming in Friday hopefully ) so if I hear anything I'll post it here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No trophies right? :(

Kyon

Banned
Sseklebeast said:
You can set it upstairs if you want. My cable modem and router are in my computer room which is downstairs from the room with my consoles. It's not hard to setup at all but the installation can be a bit buggy. If you end up getting one and you need help feel free to message me.

alright thanks!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lame, I wish they remastered it instead like God of War: Origins.

Sseklebeast said:
At first I thought yeah we can use our existing PSP save data on P3rd HD! It turns out in the lastest firmware update, Japanese PS3s were the only systems to get special options in XMB to allow save transfer and even some adhoc options. People outside of Japan will be getting their copies tomorrow ( mine is coming in Friday hopefully ) so if I hear anything I'll post it here.

hm, well as a resident of japan and owner of a EU PS3 that would certainly suck if true. i have pretty much zero interest in this if it means starting from scratch...thanks for the info though!

Not sure if its cool to link another forum but here is something I found on Capcom's Unity Board :

Dagger_32 said:
Hello! I just got MHP3rd HD and I thought I would post a few helpful tips as I figure out how to get things working.

IMPORTING YOUR SAVE

Once you install the game on your PS3 you will will to import your save from your PSP. This is done by connecting your PSP up to your PS3 with a USB cord. Make sure your PSP is in "USB Mode" the go to your PS3 and under the "Game" tab you will see a Save Data Uility file labeled PSP Remastered/Minis/PSP (or something close to that) , find your MHP3rd save file in there and copy it. You can now disconnect your PSP from your PS3.

On your PS3 start your game, you can chose the first option to start playing single player. (I suggest doing this then climbing in your bed and saving, I don't have a reason why, it just felt like it confirmed everything for me, LOL.)

GETTING ON AD HOC PARTY

If you want to play on Ad Hoc Party make sure you have the Japanese version installed on you PS3, if you do not simply go to the MHP3rd HD game disc under the game tab on the XMB. DO NOT press x to start the game, instead chose the 2nd option and it will get ad hoc party installed for you. Once that is done quit it and start up MHP3rd. When it starts up chose the option on the right!

Then you will be on the japanses ad hoc screen. Before you begin you have to accept some terms or something, so make your way through those. (It took me a few tries cause I think I kept backing out or hitting x instead of o or choosing the right option when it should have been the left one, you'll get through with trial and error eventually) once that is done go to start and then select the world and room as you normally would then you can switch to the game once in a room by pressing, R2!!! And enjoy! It is awesome! ...well I think it is I haven't been able to actually play it yet.

Alright guys, I hope this at least helps get you started. Unfortunally I have got to get to work. I only had about 20 mins to figure things out so there may be kinks here and there. I will be back tonight to post any more info and help if there are questions. I do not know Japanese so I figured this out with just messing around. If we all just help eachother and post what we have figured out the language barrier should not be a problem. See you on Ad Hoc tonight!

Sounds good to me. :)

BooJoh said:
Wow... there goes most of my hope for ever playing 3rd.

Just import it. If you have played ANY Monster Hunter before Portable 3rd is super easy to play through. Especially with mhf3.com to help you with the quests and carve translations.

Dead at the UI screenshots, lol.

And we can't blame Capcom for not bringing Portable 3rd to the west. Let's be honest, most people already pirated imported the japanese version, and PSP is dead in EU/US.

Too bad about the HD Ver. though. C'mon Sony, you don't want to piss Capcom off.

French

Banned
duffyside said:
Can someone summarize what happened for me? The HD remakes for PS3 aren't coming to the West?

Well this one has no trophies and iirc SCEE and/or SCEA do(es)n't allow games without trophies to be released.

Duffyside

Banned
French said:
Well this one has no trophies and iirc SCEE and/or SCEA do(es)n't allow games without trophies to be released.
Is that all? Hm, I doubt anyone went through the trouble of making these games available for the PS3 just for Japan. I mean, Japan was totally fine with their PSP versions. It's places like America and Europe where people would give these games a try if they were put in high-def on a home console...

Zafir

Apparently it's something to do with the networking as well. Here's the quote from capcom -

They have to make exceptions to approve this sort of project in the West: one that runs on PS3 but doesn't have trophies or make use of regular PSN for online play... it uses a modification of adhoc party which doesn't exist in the West.

In short, it requires them to localize and launch SCEJ network services (which is development work and QA/localization and support on their side) that don't currently exist in either territory and a release it from the usual platform requirements for trophies, etc. It's not trivial on Sony's part.

And we won't start the localization process until we know we can bring it out here (as much as I know you guys want it). I know MH fans are frustrated. Trust me, I want to bring more MH games out here too... and games will come, it's just going to take time.

If Capcom has bigger plans for MH in the west, they might think that releasing this here would hurt the franchises potential and make it seem like some cheap, budget game or something.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Zafir said:
Apparently it's something to do with the networking as well. Here's the quote from capcom -

thats bullshit. Adhoc Party saw release in both the US and EU. Capcom makes a LOT of "its them, not us!" excuses.

Orayn

Pie and Beans said:
thats bullshit. Adhoc Party saw release in both the US and EU. Capcom makes a LOT of "its them, not us!" excuses.
Adhoc party did, but I would not be the least bit surprised if SCEE and/or SCEA had stipulations against co-opting their PSP "special feature" as a title's only form of multiplayer. The lazy porting sounds annoying, but I'll give Capcom the benefit of the doubt on their reasons for the delay in bringing it over.

DiscoJer

Sammy Samusu said:
Dead at the UI screenshots, lol.

And we can't blame Capcom for not bringing Portable 3rd to the west. Let's be honest, most people already pirated imported the japanese version, and PSP is dead in EU/US.

I'm sorry, but if Squenix could bring over a MH clone earlier this year, and so could Namco (not exactly a big supporter of the PSP in the west, at least not lately - declining to publish PQ2 PSP and not picking up WKC PSP), then Capcom could have brought over the real thing.

Capcom is basically a dick of a company these days, if it's not a million seller, they just don't want to bother.

Top Bottom