• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Downloaded the newest revision and tried out Jak 1, it still drops as low as 40 fps for me when there's lots of polygons on screen. I had the task manager open and the four cores it was using were at around 20% usage, though they tended to spike a bit whenever the game slowed down (but still not near 100%). Unfortunately it crashed on the opening cutscene when I was switching between fullscreen and window. I'll try again and see if I can get ingame this time.

EDIT - Reloading my save got me into the tutorial, it still slows down to 45-50 fps unless the camera is zoomed way in on something. I could probably try OC'ing a little more, I'm currently at 4 ghz.

Dizzy-4U

Is there a way to integrate a Ps2 game on steam? Not adding the pcsx2 exe itself but like a shortcut to auto-boot a game? I think I saw some pics some time ago from a gaffer doing this with FFXII.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it :)

Lesiroth

Dizzy-4U said:
Is there a way to integrate a Ps2 game on steam? Not adding the pcsx2 exe itself but like a shortcut to auto-boot a game? I think I saw some pics some time ago from a gaffer doing this with FFXII.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it :)
Could you link your found solution? Other people(including me) could benefit from it.

Gyoru

Decided to test Valkyrie Profile 2 with the new multithreaded VU1 speedhack with FXAA enabled. 60 FPS most of the time although it still suffers when there's a lot of effects on the screen. The graphic issues are still present in the current revision.

pVQ8o.jpg

hauton

Trying ZoE2, and I think I'm bottlenecked by some completely different problem than everyone else.

My NTSC game is actually faster with 8-bit texturing disabled than enabled
And the PAL version is significantly faster - actually it's weird because i'm still getting the same mid/high 30s fps as NTSC, but it's a lot smoother in both animation and sound
Things like FXAA or 2x vs Native make nearly no difference
All in all, a clusterfuck that I can't seem to solve

I think my computer is just messed up in general

SSE4.1
DX11
i5 750
AMD 5850

Enemy Of Fate said:
do you know if there is anyway we can bring these issues to the attention of the PCSX2 developers through some sort of feedback system or something?

Just go to the main PCSX2 forum and tell them the problem....some of the Devs hang out there and do take notice of problems in paticular games...i did this for REZ, in hardware mode it used to draw the aiming reticle & targets twice on the screen..making targeting impossible...REZ used to look like this...

pcsx22011-03-3018-58-51-79.jpg

the only way you could play the game was in native low res software rendering...

a couple of weeks later it was fixed!!!!.

Does anyone know if the latest rewritten 4866 build has MGS3 performing better? I had quite a few framerate issues in that game, especially in the slightly more dense jungle and intro cutscenes.

That reminds me, I still gotta get back to Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy 12. I think I'll finish KH2 first though.

DieH@rd

Banned
The English Conquistador said:
Does anyone know if the latest rewritten 4866 build has MGS3 performing better? I had quite a few framerate issues in that game, especially in the slightly more dense jungle and intro cutscenes.

That reminds me, I still gotta get back to Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy 12. I think I'll finish KH2 first though.

MGS3 works a little better yes. Just ignore framedrops in the very eartly parts of the game, after that game works just fine.

Zafir

Lesiroth said:
Could you link your found solution? Other people(including me) could benefit from it.
Well, I can't link you the post, but I can tell you how to do it.

Basically add PCSX2 into steam, right click and choose properties. In the box under neath target, at the end of what it already says type "<Iso directory here>". It'll then autoload that iso. If you want to have different config files for it, then copy the ini files into another folder(Like in a folder with the games name) and then at the end of that, just add --cfgpath=<Directory of the folder containing the inis>

Works like a charm for me.

Edit: Oh right and don't forget to change the name of the steam short cut to the game name in the top box. xD

gokieks

Zafir said:
If you want to have different config files for it, then copy the ini files into another folder(Like in a folder with the games name) and then at the end of that, just add --cfgpath=<Directory of the folder containing the inis>

Oh nice, I didn't know about that switch. Now I can load a different config for FFXII (invert both axis of right analog stick so that I can actually stand the camera) and not have to change it back for any other game.

what kind of configs would help performance with a phenom 2 quad core cpu with gran turismo 3/4? mine's running at 3Ghz, and I have tried oc'ing to 3.6 or so, but get stability issues, do I have any other options for improvement besides a higher speed? My other specs are 4gb of ddr3 ram and a 768mb GTX 460

Dirtie

nincompoop said:
Hot damn... now I just need to find a controller plugin that actually works well with the Xbox 360 controller. With the LilyPad plugin I can't move forward at full speed in any of my games for some reason, and the other two plugins I tried don't even recognize it. (Actually I think one of them doesn't work at all.)

Change the sensitivity for each direction to a bit above 1. Mine are all about 1.2 or something.

Mr Nightman said:
what kind of configs would help performance with a phenom 2 quad core cpu with gran turismo 3/4? mine's running at 3Ghz, and I have tried oc'ing to 3.6 or so, but get stability issues, do I have any other options for improvement besides a higher speed? My other specs are 4gb of ddr3 ram and a 768mb GTX 460

Phenom II's just arent up to the task, even good ones running at 4Ghz or more are too slow for some games..GT games included.

Maybe if they optimise this new multi threaded rendering abit more, things will get better, but i doubt by the degree needed to make games like GT run smooth.

Fact is, Intel 2500/2600K CPU's running at 4.5Ghz or more (which is equivalent to a Phenom II running at more than 6GHZ!!! BTW) are the only CPU's that will run 99% of games at 100% speed.

Yaska

So a kind of general question. With introduce of GDSX AVX version, should one with intel i7 2600k use that one instead of SSE4?

Been out of loop with the SSEs and such since I've been using SSSE3's for so long haha.

Magnus

Holy shitsticks. Holy SHITSTICKS.

TL;DR = I'm blown away, but if anyone cares, my quick personal story:

I've hooked up my (2008) PC to my TV for the first time ever, a 46" Panny Plasma. I have no idea why I've waited so long to try that out, but hey, amazing. I was running Windows XP with some crazy bloated registry from the last two years that was slowing things down. Realized I could grab Windows 7 (a student license) for free from my college (had no idea till now). So, wiped it clean, experiencing 7 for the first time, enjoying a wonderful, fresh new system, and thought, what the hell, now that it's hooked up to the TV and as fast and clean as it'll ever be, let me give PS2/Wii emulation a try. Got my systems still hooked up and everything, but hey, enough people on GAF have gushed about what these games CAN look like on even a halfway decent PC.

My PC was built by a friend, nothing special. Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz, GeForce 8800GT (a beast for its time, iirc), 2GB RAM (lol).

I own FFXII and FFXII Int'l ZJS and used the English patch last year when I learned about it on GAF, and even sought out a fat PS2, MagicSWAP and a Slide Tool so that I could actually play it. And it worked, and it was cool, but shit, what I would have given to have XII ZJS English look even just as good as XII did when I was playing it upscaled on my PS3.

Fast forward to today.

I installed PCSX2 using the GAF thread advice. I didn't even have the patience to check the XII/ZJS specific guide to tweak settings, I thought, let me just fire it up and see how it looks and plays.

Fast forward to the start of my post.

Holy SHITSTICKS.

Fuck, is this ever motherfucking GORGEOUS. WHAT. Holy FUCK. I mean, there's no denying the still images in this thread and the other PCSX2 thread....but to see it look so beautiful in motion....man. I just didn't think it was going to run this well, so fast, without even so much as a tweak, on my 2008-era PC.

Wow.

I mean, after I played it for a bit, I realized a couple of sound issues are off (sync issues, specifically), and I'm sure once I get into the crazier and more heated battles with more intense spell effects, that some slowdown will occur, but I haven't even applied the ideal tweaks yet that are recommended.

I'm SO ELATED. Thank you GAF.

I don't actually have any of the HD Compliation PS3 releases yet (my first will be the Ico/SOTC one next month) -- do they look this great? I can't imagine they would. I mean, they're going to be gorgeous, and optimized, and all trophy'd up and what not, but wow. This is unreal.

Magnus

Incoming double post:

So XII is running great, as per the configuration guides in the OP. The only issue is, the audio is lagging 0.5-1s behind. It's infuriating (first-world problems), but yeah. Any way to address this?

Skilletor

I've got FF12 running perfect except that it'll pause every so often. Anybody know why?

Also, I've ripped my VP2 iso, but when I try to load it the program hard locks after the Playstation 2 screen. Any suggestions?

I <3 Having a PC.

Luigi87

scitek said:
Can you play FF12 in its entirety? I'd hate to get far into it and not be able to finish.

If you can run it, you can play it completely.
Thanks to the emulator, I finally decided to replay FFXII after quitting half-way through years ago, and got through the whole game.

neoemonk

Glad I found this thread. I've been messing around with this emulator lately. I threw in my Nocturne disc the other night but it looked a little shaky. However, I was just running the default settings. I'm going to mess around with the config stuff a bit here and see if I can't fine tune it.

I'd also love to get my Dual Shock 3 working with the bluetooth receiver I have on my PC, but my keyboard and mouse already use it so I'm not sure if I can pile everything on there.

Shanks

How will this run on the new Macbook Pros on bootcamp? The CPU is more than capable it seems but I'm not sure about the integrated card. I don't need it to be more than 480P or similar to what the Playstation 2 runs at.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
neoemonk said:
I'd also love to get my Dual Shock 3 working with the bluetooth receiver I have on my PC, but my keyboard and mouse already use it so I'm not sure if I can pile everything on there.
Unfortunately, using MotionInJoy's wireless support with PS3 controllers will overwrite any existing BT drivers, so you won't be able to use other devices like your kb/m if installed. I'd recommend just using the controllers wired or grabbing a XB360 pad or something.

Skilletor

I got Valkyrie Profile 2 running. It seems fine until I get to the first area...the woods or whatever. I forget the name. In the first town it runs smooth 60fps, but when I get to the woods I've got these red borders everywhere and the framerate is terribly inconsistent. Then, in battle, runs fine again. Cutscenes also run erratically.

When I enable the Tri-ace gamefix, tehre's a note that says to enable the IPU hack. I don't see this option anywhere. I'm wondering if this will fix my problem.

Can anybody help?

Edit: Weird, in the next area it's fine. Game runs perfect, aside from cutscenes.

Thinking about putting together an HTPC/Emulation box in the coming months and wondering how one of these newer CPU/GPU combo chips will work with PCSX2. Specifically, the A8-3850 (quad-core 2.9GHz, 5570-based GPU). Has anyone done any testing with this?

Lime

Skilletor said:
I got Valkyrie Profile 2 running. It seems fine until I get to the first area...the woods or whatever. I forget the name. In the first town it runs smooth 60fps, but when I get to the woods I've got these red borders everywhere and the framerate is terribly inconsistent. Then, in battle, runs fine again. Cutscenes also run erratically.

When I enable the Tri-ace gamefix, tehre's a note that says to enable the IPU hack. I don't see this option anywhere. I'm wondering if this will fix my problem.

Can anybody help?

Edit: Weird, in the next area it's fine. Game runs perfect, aside from cutscenes.

The Forest in the beginning is a known issue and has not been able to be fixed by emulation.

By the way are you able to remove the interlaced lines in cutscenes? And what is your framerate + settings?

Skilletor

Lime said:
The Forest in the beginning is a known issue and has not been able to be fixed by emulation.

By the way are you able to remove the interlaced lines in cutscenes? And what is your framerate + settings?

Yeah, after I posted I read up. After that section everything seems fine. Are there other sections with known problems?

I'm getting 60fps, but there are lines in some cutscenes. Not lines, really, more like rectangle boxes. Is that what you mean?

I'm extremely new to all of this.

Settings are: (Copied from one of the first posts with my changes) Using the latest PCSX2 build. 0.9.8

Computer Specs

CPU: Intel i5-2500k at 3.3GHz
GPU: 1GB nVidia GTX 460
RAM: 8GB

Emulation Settings

EE/IOP: default
VUs: default
GS: Framelimiter - enabled, Frameskipping - disabled, Use Synchronized MTGS - no, Disable all GS output - no
GS Window: Aspect Ratio - Widescreen (16:9) - Custom Window Size - 1920 x 1080, Disable window resize border - no, Always hide mouse cursor - no, Hide window on suspend - yes, Default to fullscreen mode on open - yes, Use exclusive fullscreen mode (if available) - no, Wait for vsync on refresh - no
Speed Hacks: enabled, default
Game Fixes: Tri-Ace fix

Graphics Plugin Settings

Renderer: Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: Bob tff (screen shakes without)
D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - n/a, Scaling - 4x, Native resolution - no
Hardware Mode Settings: Texture Filtering - yes, Allow 8-bit textures - no, Logarithmic Z - n/a, Alpha Correction (FBA) - n/a
Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0-4x, Alpha Hack - no, Offset Hack - no, Skipdraw Hack - 0

What's a good site for hosting larger images?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
TaroYamada said:
The Yakuza link in the OT links to the God Hand settings, not sure if anybody noticed.

Check the bottom. :p

"Also, I use the exact same settings with Yakuza and it runs fine. Only halfway through but not had any problems outside of blurry cutscenes. They can apparently be fixed with the skipdraw hack."

Skilletor said:
What's a good site for hosting larger images?

http://abload.de/ lets you upload large images and the thumbnails are pretty handy in that they give both dimensions and filesize. It's all in German, but it's not too hard to figure out with Google translate.

Also, if you're having issues displaying FMVs, you can always try toggling into software mode (F9) during them. Not sure if that'll help specifically with VP2, but it's helped with other games where their cutscenes don't play nice with HW mode/upscaling.

Skilletor

ExMachina said:
Check the bottom. :p

"Also, I use the exact same settings with Yakuza and it runs fine. Only halfway through but not had any problems outside of blurry cutscenes. They can apparently be fixed with the skipdraw hack."

http://abload.de/ lets you upload large images and the thumbnails are pretty handy in that they give both dimensions and filesize. It's all in German, but it's not too hard to figure out with Google translate.

Also, if you're having issues displaying FMVs, you can always try toggling into software mode (F9) during them. Not sure if that'll help specifically with VP2, but it's helped with other games where their cutscenes don't play nice with HW mode/upscaling.

Thanks. :) I'll try those tomorrow.

Here's one from the imgur site. Seems to have some compression, though.

Lesiroth

Does anyone have a decent config for SMT: Nocturne? I tried it out yesterday, and the game is REALLY blurry, even on 2/3x native. Shadows are overlapping as well, not to mention the screen is vibrating all the time. Did anyone manage to play the game through with PCSX2?

flowsnake

Lesiroth said:
Does anyone have a decent config for SMT: Nocturne? I tried it out yesterday, and the game is REALLY blurry, even on 2/3x native. Shadows are overlapping as well, not to mention the screen is vibrating all the time. Did anyone manage to play the game through with PCSX2?

I had similar issues until I changed the interlacing mode. Try playing around with that.

I think I settled on Blend bff in the end.

ZoddGutts

Noob question. How do I enable anti aliasing? I tried to do what the OP said but that won't work. My GSdx file is also different for some reason.

vpOSN.jpg

Even if I put a 1 instead 0 in "UserHacks_AlphaHack=0" it doesn't enable the anti aliasing:

Htjo2.jpg

I guess it could if if I change the GSdx file of "aa1=1" to "aa1=16" would that make it 16aa in game?

Edit: Looks like I had to edit in "allowhacks=1" into the file. This should be updated in the OP. >_<

Skilletor

I got ZOE2 running pretty smooth. I've only played it for like 20 minutes, though.

I know this is stretched, I was just trying it out and didn't change my settings to 4:3.

So pretty. :D

I like this webhost!

Edit: My settings are the same as my post above for ZoE2.

Sofo

Just wanted to give props for this thread. It's very informative and simple (hey, I'm not very tech savvy). My problem is I tried running DMC and Onimusha and even though they both ran (most of the problems were with setting up the controller) they both felt slow and "dragging". Granted my desktop isn't too powerful, I tried the speedhacks and nothing. Oh well, can't wait to try it as soon as I get a new computer. :)

vertopci

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Completely playable with default settings, IQ can be greatly improved with D3D upscaling and HW AA.

So I'm guessing by completely playable, it doesn't mean it runs perfectly? If so, what issues are present? Trying to decide whether I should just dust off my PS3 and play it on there or use PCSX2. Any problems with sound/music?

Beats

vertopci said:
So I'm guessing by completely playable, it doesn't mean it runs perfectly? If so, what issues are present? Trying to decide whether I should just dust off my PS3 and play it on there or use PCSX2. Any problems with sound/music?

I played the entire game recently on PCSX2 at full speed the whole way through, and I don't recall any problems with the sound/music. The motion blur in some parts of the game is really apparent though at higher resolutions. But there's not much you can do about that I think. Took a while to get used to it.

vertopci

Beats said:
I played the entire game recently on PCSX2 at full speed the whole way through, and I don't recall any problems with the sound/music. The motion blur in some parts of the game is really apparent though at higher resolutions. But there's not much you can do about that I think. Took a while to get used to it.

Cool, thanks! P4 on PCSX2 it is!

Sanic

I'm trying to play MGS3 but am having performance issues of some sort. I always get a framerate of 30+ according to PCXS2, but the game appears to be running in slow motion. That's the best way I can describe it really. any tips?

Gvaz

Banned
Pandoracell said:
I'm trying to play MGS3 but am having performance issues of some sort. I always get a framerate of 30+ according to PCXS2, but the game appears to be running in slow motion. That's the best way I can describe it really. any tips?
Whatever hacks you have are showing 30fps but you're not getting full speed emulation.

ymmv

Banned
I'm currently enjoying the hell out of Xenoblade running on Dolphin. I've already put in 55 hours so far.

The great emulation experience made me wonder if playing FFXII on PCSX2 could be just as good. I've seen very impressive HD screens from the game, that's exactly what I want. The only thing is: I already put in more than 100 hours into the original PS2 game but never finished the game. I stopped playing at about 85%-90% completion. Is there some way I can use the PS2 save game in PCSX2 so I pick up from where I left off?

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah, I don't have the links though, it's kind of involved. You need like an action replay or something similar that allows you to backup your saves to a usb stick, then you need a usb stick that actually WORKS in the ps2 (I found that older ones worked, like 2gb or 1gb or so in fat32). Then you use that to back it up to the usb. THEN you stick that into your computer, and there's a program to convert the action replay max file to a readable format of sorts. THEN you have to use another program to insert the save file into the memory card that pcsx2 has.

By that time you've spent like 30 minutes easy if you have all the stuff together already. First time doing it expect an hour and make sure not to overwrite anything if something like that happens or is an issue.

It's relatively simple to put it back on the ps2, you just reverse the process.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
ymmv said:
I'm currently enjoying the hell out of Xenoblade running on Dolphin. I've already put in 55 hours so far.

The great emulation experience made me wonder if playing FFXII on PCSX2 could be just as good. I've seen very impressive HD screens from the game, that's exactly what I want. The only thing is: I already put in more than 100 hours into the original PS2 game but never finished the game. I stopped playing at about 85%-90% completion. Is there some way I can use the PS2 save game in PCSX2 so I pick up from where I left off?
Yeeeeah, as Gvaz said... it's pretty convoluted. I mention save transferring in the OP, though it assumes you either:

- have a PS3 + memory card adapter
- can boot a file manager like uLaunchElf on a PS2 (with an Action Replay, a boot disc like Swap Magic, FreeMCBoot, etc.)

...to copy saves to a USB drive.

If you have either setup and want more detail, shoot me a PM and I'll send ya the specific steps.

You then transfer them to your PC and use the program MyMC (http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca:11068/mymc/index.html) to add them to your PCSX2 memory card image.

Top Bottom