• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Refused To Let Keiji Inafune To Complete Mega Man Legends 3

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
"So, I told them that I was going to found my own independent company and leave Capcom. However, I stated that I was ready to make a contract with them so that I could keep working on those projects that I started. I couldn’t start making contracts with other publishers for sure if Capcom agreed to the proposition, but I wanted to see those projects that I started to completion. But it couldn’t be done. They answered, ‘We have no need to do that.’"

"[I went to the trouble of]…Finding the right time, gathering the team members, planning strategies, all so we could barely start on Mega Man Legends 3. I really don’t want to quit at this crucial moment…but I can’t keep going at Capcom. I am too tired to keep going. I wanted to leave Capcom to recharge my energy, and support Capcom from there, but it seems they don’t allow it. I want to make all my effort to keep Legends 3 alive, but I’m really not sure I can do it."

Source

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cXzAv.jpg

Poor Inafune. He really has a lot of love for Capcom, but like most large corporations, in the end all he will ever be is another number. Now he is even less to them.

He should get some plastic surgery and disguise himself as a terrible Western developer who's never made anything good. Capcom will be scrambling over themselves to hang him their most hallowed IP.

wwm0nkey

badcrumble said:
He should get some plastic surgery and disguise himself as a terrible Western developer who's never made anything good. Capcom will be scrambling over themselves to hang him their most hallowed IP.
hmmmm that might just work! lol

I am not entirely sure I can blame Capcom for this one

"I quit your company publicly, but if you keep paying me money, I will keep making games that you have absolutely no confidence will sell" isn't the best elevator pitch I have ever heard.

shwimpy

badcrumble said:
Wasn't his love for Western developers/games the reason why Capcom went to shit in the first place?

wwm0nkey

ShockingAlberto said:

"I quit your company publicly, but if you keep paying me money, I will keep making games that you have absolutely no confidence will sell" isn't the best elevator pitch I have ever heard.
it actually kind of seems like he asked this before he went public with the announcement.

shwimpy said:
Wasn't his love for Western developers/games the reason why Capcom went to shit in the first place?
With how Capcom is now I really don't think it was just him.

They didn't refuse to let him work on it, they refused to farm out the game to his indipendemt studio, which he supposedly started because he wanted to get away from Capcom.

So Capcom wanted to can the game. He wanted to continue developing it in a new independent studio. Why would Capcom allow that? That would mean Capcom would still need to invest in the game they saw no future in.

I would only blame Capcom on this if Inafune offered them to fund the project himself.

Beth Cyra

ShockingAlberto said:

This is me. Yeah it sucks for Legends fans but I can't blame Capcom.

wwm0nkey

I wander if he is still trying to get the rights to make Megaman Legends 3.

I am actually very shocked Capcom didnt take CC2 up on their offer.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Man.

Fuck Capcom's higher-ups and board members, because you KNOW they're the ones responsible for this bullshit.

Fucking hell. Worst Japanese company right next to Tecmo? I think so.

Zen

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
I just really want to know what in the hell is going on with Capcom

They're run by CEOs that don't understand games, and only care about the dollars. They're only focused of the raw numbers with no understanding or appreciation for the industry itself.

According to Inafune.

wwm0nkey said:
I wander if he is still trying to get the rights to make Megaman Legends 3.

I am actually very shocked Capcom didnt take CC2 up on their offer.

Well that certainly wasn't a formal offer, and if it has happened, it's not something we'd hear about any time soon, if at all.

wwm0nkey

funkystudent said:
It would have been nice if it happened but I get why capcom didnt let it happen.
I don't, they had a prototype ready to go on a content starved platform for only $2

The protoype was fun and had 3 or so hours of gameplay according to some of the people that got to play it.

Capcom just sucks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This isnt news - we already knew that he offered to to keep workin on his projects until they are finished.

Arcblade

Banned
People honestly believe he wanted to leave and forsake his brain children?

Lmmfao

Capcom... how you gonna troll yo'self this hard?

Deku

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

voice of reason again.

You can now go back to your regularly scheduled hand wringing and fake outrage.

Ra1den

Zen said:
They're run by CEOs that don't understand games, and only care about the dollars.

Funny, that describes the modern Inafune fairly well, with his attempt to cater to the west to gain better sales, and releasing a bunch of shit as a result.

Coxy

Fuck capcom but fuck inafune too, he's just passing the buck when he was the one spouting the mantra for years about killing off these kind of projects to appeal to the west

Zen said:
They're run by CEOs that don't understand games, and only care about the dollars. They're only focused of the raw numbers with no understanding or appreciation for the industry itself.

Pretty much this. Evident in many other industries as well.

Reminder:

How far along was Legends 3? Was it only a couple of levels, or was this almost complete?

Clearly the final game had a long ways to go (I think the Devroom indicator had the game listed at about 25% complete), but the Prototype Version seemed ready to go.

Some say that the project had very little chance even from the start, others think that the results of the DevRoom project, specifically the small number of registered members might have been the main reason for cancellation. I understand that you don't have any concrete information on this but I'm sure everyone would be interested in your opinion.

I don’t want to speculate on that, but the thing I find strange is that the Prototype Version was, for all intents and purposes, finished, but not released. If it were up to me, I would have wanted to make it available to at least get some sort of return on the investment that had been made so far, and to allow the contributors to see their creations come to life, and to judge what consumer interest was in the project as a whole. Then again, maybe it would have been even more heartbreaking to get the Prototype Version but not a full game.

http://www.gamesradar.com/exclusive-only-journalist-ever-play-mega-man-legends-3/?page=2

MLH

God bless you Inafune. I feel sorry for the devs that are still with Capcom who want to work on MML3 but the higher ups wont let them. Devs want it, fans want it, but a small number of higher ups don't.

Top Bottom