• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 |OT| Not bad for a number 2 game

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
ctw0e said:
Just bought a G27. Should I buy this game?

Definitely. I have a G27 and in my opinion Codemasters titles really do work amazingly well with the wheel. Personally, I'd go as far as saying that their games are amongst my favourite implementations of force feedback. Plus the on-wheel button layout should work well with DRS / KERS etc for F1 2011.

I personally could not get comfortable with the game tonight because I was having a hard time with the wheel settings. Just to save people some time, Orgun's settings do not work at all unfortunately and you're better starting at default in both Logitech Profiler and in-game.

I think I got the steering perfect with:
Logitech Profiler
Degrees of Rotation: 900
Allow Game To Adjust Settings: On
In-Game
Steering Deadzone: 0
Steering Linearity: 10%

Didn't get a chance to mess with FFB settings and for throttle/brake I had everything set to 0% (game defaults) and it felt like throttle/brake had no travel, like no matter how sensitive you'd press it'd be at 0% or 100%. I went into the cockpit view and the animations make it also look that way. So i'll have to play with that some more.

Cockpit view is easier to see out of in this game and I wouldn't be surprised if people use it over TV Cam. The menu system is a lot better in my opinion with most of the fluff removed.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Quote said:
I personally could not get comfortable with the game tonight because I was having a hard time with the wheel settings. Just to save people some time, Orgun's settings do not work at all unfortunately and you're better starting at default in both Logitech Profiler and in-game.

Logitech Profiler
In-Game

Didn't get a chance to mess with FFB settings and for throttle/brake I had everything set to 0% (game defaults) and it felt like throttle/brake had no travel, like no matter how sensitive you'd press it'd be at 0% or 100%. I went into the cockpit view and the animations make it also look that way. So i'll have to play with that some more.

Cockpit view is easier to see out of in this game and I wouldn't be surprised if people use it over TV Cam. The menu system is a lot better in my opinion with most of the fluff removed.

Brilliant, cheers for the heads-up. That looks like the same profile settings that I use for F1 2010 actually. I have no idea why they set the default for the deadzone to be greater than 0. I'm really looking forward to using the cockpit view with the slightly higher viewing height. The updated cockpits + team specific wheels look great.

Orgun

Quote said:

Logitech Profiler
In-Game

Damn, I was hoping they would carry over from 2010 :(

Edit: wait you have the degree of rotation at 900? Try setting that to about 270-300

Orgun said:
Damn, I was hoping they would carry over from 2010 :(
Man, me too. I find this stuff way too overwhelming. I can't wait till you and a few other vets get it so I can copy your settings again!

Frawdder

Quote said:
Good to hear that the cockpit view is better this year.

"This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 18 hours" - Ugh. Why? WHY?!

amar212

Lucius86 said:
Can we PLEASE get gaf impressions?

I hate Traction Control.

Traction Control is solely responsible for ONLY problem I have with this game. I personally drive without TC. I drive without any assists whatsoever and I am using my beloved G25, because issues with random activation of central spring in Fanatec models have not yet been solved.

But AI drivers just loooovessss Traction Control. Every single one of them. And they do not give a damn I do not use it. And they even don't give a damn how Traction Control devices are banned in current regulation of F1. They love it so damn much, they even use it on wet races. And since I'm driving on Professional level of AI, constant Traction Control allows those bugs to speed out of turn 100% more effectively than I can.

I have no problem they're using damn TC in dry races. On Professional setting I can drive as fast as they can and I'm having a Time of My Life™ during all sessions of Long Weekends with my Lotus. I can fulfill all Team Challenges in Practices and I can qualify in front of all my low-tier buddies, even breathe on Barichello's neck - and I do not even have a KERS because Lotus do not have one. And I so love this game.

But in wet races I am on brink of frustration, because in order to be competitive and retain my decision to drive on Professional AI - Normal AI is too slow on dry and I can obliterate whole mid-tier with my Lotus since 2 seconds per lap means everything in this game - I have to use Strong Traction Control. Not Medium, because even Medium can't provide enough grip to catch up with those TC bugs speeding out of every exit like they're carried on the Wings of the Traction Fairies. I have to use Strong.

And I really hate the fact I am using Traction Control. Whole experience becomes subconsciously different. Because I can speed out on those same Fairies Wings makes me have no joy in tackling acceleration pedal in order to retain control of the vehicle.

Besides that, this is the best F1 game I have ever played in last 15 years.

Shaneus

So psyched. Psyched, I tells ya.

Anyone know how the performance of Crossfire (and even just standalone GPUs) is? I remember that it was horrible for the most part, mainly due to Codies using the old EGO engine. If they're using anything from Dirt 2 up I should be happier than the proverbial... something.

Edit: Oh, thank fuck they are. But it says that 2010 was using the same as Dirt 2. Fuck off, that game ran like a dream on my PC.

Angst

Frawdder said:
Good to hear that the cockpit view is better this year.

"This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 18 hours" - Ugh. Why? WHY?!
Followed by 2-3 hours of decryption... :/ I'll have to make sure to remember to turn on my PC and start decrypting before going to work.

AcridMeat

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Can we PLEASE get gaf impressions?

Shit is good.

SO GOOD!

Played 3 20% races online, had ~18-20 cars on the grid for all of them, mix of about 4-6 humans with AI. Melbourne/Monza/Montreal. Handling is so god damn good this year it's amazing that it's been just a year. Losing grip in the tires is dramatic. I found myself leading or making good progress to only spin or lose a front wing in a wall. I need to figure out how to check my tires with my wheel so I have a better understanding of the grip levels. Online objectives are fantastic, they have little XP bonuses for things like clean laps or deductions for collisions. SHIT IS SO GOOD!

Didn't try a wet race or get a big enough crash for a safety car, though I thought I had. It may be a case where someone crashes out of the race entirely that there needs to be a safety car. Maybe just not a big enough incident, will test more later.

I had a chance to use the DRS a few times while catching people. Fortunately, in the final race at Montreal, I didn't seem to make much progress on the person ahead of me. So it seems like it's implemented well as I wasn't that close out of the exit of the corner.

Oh and I've already managed to flip the car over entirely and take out Alonso in the McLaren exactly as Button did this year at the same corner and didn't get penalized as well.

edit: Two nit-picky things. One, you can only have 1 lap, 3 lap and 20, 50, 100% races. No option for 30 or 40% which sucks for me as I loved 30% for career mode. Also when setting your tire strategy, while I think I can understand where they're coming from with the tires having a cliff and your style will effect how long they last, it gives no indication how many laps the tires are worth. As a result I went with their default recommended pit stop. This happened when I was on the same team with someone and when I was alone with an AI teammate. So I guess it's up to us to choose when to pit? Thinking about it now I completely forgot Henry was on my team for the Monza and Montreal race, I'm glad we didn't end up in the pits at the same time.

edit 2: Fuck that is a shame to hear about wet races. I'll need to test that next.

Lucius86

Banned
I did say driving in the wet was a different beast with no TC on in the build I played back in June - looks like we are in for some tough races in these conditions.

amar212

Shaneus said:
That definitely does suck about the AI using TC. Hopefully it's patched out or there's an option for it.

OK, I can't say 100% they are using it - because there is no TC or any other indicator - but I have no other explanation for their perfect out-of-the-apex traction.

There is no way in universe I can accelerate quickly and cleanly and they are during wet sessions. I would understand that Red Bull car is having better traction/downforce/differential than my Lotus and would never suspect TC - but when HRT cars are obliterating me through every corner with literally seconds ahead, it is just not right.

Also, matching their times on wet sessions is almost impossible without assists. My Lotus should be slightly faster than HRT and Virgin - which definitely is on dry surfaces, I have also started a career with Virgin before Lotus, but on Professional it was a real problem to catch up with Team Challenges so I switched back to Lotus - but on rain there is no way on Earth I can be competitive without usage of TCS. Their times are really uncatchable.

It is either Traction Control or their acceleration handicap on wet races is equal to 0. Which is a real bummer, since there is no way you can keep up with them using wheel on wet races on Professional AI and without no assists.

On the other - stranger - hand, I managed to catch up Gold Trophy on Time Attack wet races without any assists usage. Even "gold ghost" is catchable without assists (OK, we're talking McLaren car here) on wet Montreal.

I don't know. This game is pitch-perfect in my book, but something is definitely out of balance in those wet-races AI times. They're either using some kind of traction assists or they are portrayed as drivers who can accelerate on wet without any issues whatsoever. It is probably a balancing issue - I am aware of that - but maybe they could program a tad slower AI if you're decided to run without TC.

And I am just talking about 2 seconds per lap - which is the difference I am witnessing on Pro AI - but in 12 lap races it is 24 seconds, and with such 2-seconds-per-lap-gap there is no way you can achieve any Team Challenge (R&D, Qualify position or Race position) if you opt not to use assists.

Lucius86

Banned
2 seconds a lap isn't as bad as I thought you were suggesting, but still a concern.
Appreciate the feedback. So it is clear you are not performing that badly in the wet if in Time Attack wet races you are doing good, unless your car setup is all wrong for wet conditions.

Damn these next 3 days are going to be murder.

amar212

Lucius86 said:
2 seconds a lap isn't as bad as I thought you were suggesting, but still a concern.
Appreciate the feedback. So it is clear you are not performing that badly in the wet if in Time Attack wet races you are doing good, unless your car setup is all wrong for wet conditions.

Trust me, 2 seconds are everything here. I am running all races on the very brink of particular goal - either Qualifying or Race - and even 0.500 seconds means something with the car I am having at the beginning of the career.

I am perfectly aware that my car will reach some upgrades through R&D process during the career thus becoming technically better - but as I highlighted problem is that equally *bad* cars such as HRT and Virgin can outperform me on wet by large margin and how only way to catch up with them is by using TC.

My setup is good for wet, problem remains their perfect traction through corners. I just can't mimic that kind of acceleration control during exits. If I catch them through faster corners and straights, slow corners are place where they just disappear.

I don't know. I would like to hear others opinions on this in days to come. As I noted earlier, I am driving with G25 wheel, without any assists, all sim-based options enabled and on Professional AI. While dry races are Made in Heaven™, wet races are tad problematic from reasons disclosed before.

But it is the ONLY issue I am having so far, game is great by any mean and I guess I will find some balance in upcoming days, even if it means switching TC-on during wet races.

Steering Deadzone 0%

Steering Saturation 0%

Steering Linearity 10%

Throttle Deadzone 0%

Throttle Saturation 0%

Brake Deadzone 0%

Brake Saturation 0%

There's only 6 scenarios in Time Attack by the way, which is rather disappointing. DLC maybe?

Orgun

Sleeplessnights said:
Steering Deadzone 0%

Steering Saturation 0%

Steering Linearity 10%

Throttle Deadzone 0%

Throttle Saturation 0%

Brake Deadzone 0%

Brake Saturation 0%

There's only 6 scenarios in Time Attack by the way, which is rather disappointing. DLC maybe?

Wow, only 10% linearity by default? that'll be going right up to 80% straight away. :)

amar212 said:
I hate Traction Control.

Traction Control is solely responsible for ONLY problem I have with this game. I personally drive without TC. I drive without any assists whatsoever and I am using my beloved G25, because issues with random activation of central spring in Fanatec models have not yet been solved.

But AI drivers just loooovessss Traction Control. Every single one of them. And they do not give a damn I do not use it. And they even don't give a damn how Traction Control devices are banned in current regulation of F1. They love it so damn much, they even use it on wet races. And since I'm driving on Professional level of AI, constant Traction Control allows those bugs to speed out of turn 100% more effectively than I can.

I have no problem they're using damn TC in dry races. On Professional setting I can drive as fast as they can and I'm having a Time of My Life™ during all sessions of Long Weekends with my Lotus. I can fulfill all Team Challenges in Practices and I can qualify in front of all my low-tier buddies, even breathe on Barichello's neck - and I do not even have a KERS because Lotus do not have one. And I so love this game.

But in wet races I am on brink of frustration, because in order to be competitive and retain my decision to drive on Professional AI - Normal AI is too slow on dry and I can obliterate whole mid-tier with my Lotus since 2 seconds per lap means everything in this game - I have to use Strong Traction Control. Not Medium, because even Medium can't provide enough grip to catch up with those TC bugs speeding out of every exit like they're carried on the Wings of the Traction Fairies. I have to use Strong.

And I really hate the fact I am using Traction Control. Whole experience becomes subconsciously different. Because I can speed out on those same Fairies Wings makes me have no joy in tackling acceleration pedal in order to retain control of the vehicle.

Besides that, this is the best F1 game I have ever played in last 15 years.
2010 is a bit like this too right? legendary AI always benefit in wet races.

Orgun

Sleeplessnights said:
Whoa, cheers for that! Just changed to 80% and it feels so much better.

No prob, you might also want to try raising braking and throttle saturation to 100% if you havent already (if you're using wheel/pedals) and see how that feels then reduce until you like it.

Orgun said:
No prob, you might also want to try raising braking and throttle saturation to 100% if you havent already (if you're using wheel/pedals) and see how that feels then reduce until you like it.

I had Saturation at 100% in 2010 (So super sensitive, right?) Well apparently in 2011 it's got a reverse effect. So 0% is the super sensitive.

Edit: Just went back to 70% Linearity, which is what I used in 2010. I was driving the whole time with 10%.

Orgun

Sleeplessnights said:
I had Saturation at 100% in 2010 (So super sensitive, right?) Well apparently in 2011 it's got a reverse effect. So 0% is the super sensitive.

Edit: Just went back to 70% Linearity, which is what I used in 2010. I was driving the whole time with 10%.

Oh weird, thanks for the tip off. I would have changed that straight away :)

Launch Trailer

pmj

amar212 said:
I drive without any assists whatsoever and I am using my beloved G25, because issues with random activation of central spring in Fanatec models have not yet been solved.

What exactly is this Fanatec central spring problem? How does it manifest?

Foliorum Viridum said:
Where the hell are my screenshots people? Come on!

I want to see what it looks like in DX11 on ultra.

I only have the PS3 version, you want screenshots of that? :p

Lucius86 said:
And more impressions! Why is it good?!?

I haven't had enough track time with to know why exactly is it good. But it is good.

MoGamesXNA said:
Definitely. I have a G27 and in my opinion Codemasters titles really do work amazingly well with the wheel. Personally, I'd go as far as saying that their games are amongst my favourite implementations of force feedback. Plus the on-wheel button layout should work well with DRS / KERS etc for F1 2011.
Ok, thanks!

Haven't read the whole thread but what platform are you playing on? I assume there is force feedback on the PC-version as well?

Ahhh, can't wait to binge on this game this weekend. Thanks for the early impressions Amar, bummer about the TC. Hopefully this is something that can be patched easily enough.

Lach

Omiee said:
Should i be worried about the lack of buttons on my logitech g25?
i still want to use drs and kers etc.

Does the G25 have a third pedal? I have a G27 and I was pondering if it would make sense to put DRS Activation onto the clutch pedal...

[edit] Having no idea of race driving, which is the normal way to drive? left/right foot for brake/accelerate or switch right foot between the two?

Wax Free Vanilla said:
yes.

have they fixed the frame rate problems that plagued the console versions of f1 2010?

I don't have a way to take screenshots from the PS3. BUT, I have not experienced any frame rate drops. I've tried Monaco and a handful of tracks where the frame rate usually dropped and I experienced none.

Omiee said:

The two buttons on the wheel will be used for DRS and KERS. The rest, you'll have to manage it from the shifter.

Lach said:
Having no idea of race driving, which is the normal way to drive? left/right foot for brake/accelerate or switch right foot between the two?

Right foot acceleration, left foot braking.

Omiee

hmm yeah ill just use those 2 buttons. i cant wait, i should have the game tomorrow =(

i thought i would have it today ah well.

amar212

Omiee said:

My config (G25):

red buttons on the wheel > look left/right
gear stick down > kers (I/0 function)
gear stick up > look behind (I/0 function)
clutch pedal > KERS (because it is not I/0, you have to push it while you want to use it)

I tried many combinations, but since I can't live without left/right view - especially in online MP - above configuration proved best. Looks a bit crazy, but it is extremely useful and handy.

Manik

The site I've ordered from (uk based) have given me a tracking number now, so sounds like they might be dispatching today. Excitement!

And then it'll have a release day lock on it too, no doubt!

Finally, F1 2010 is coming down in price. I've been wanting it for the entire year, but goddamn, it's always been $30+. Codemasters are, by far, the best racing developers since Bizarre Creations shit the bed.

I will get F1 2011 depending on 2010.

Lucius86

Banned
The Mana Legend said:
Finally, F1 2010 is coming down in price. I've been wanting it for the entire year, but goddamn, it's always been $30+. Codemasters are, by far, the best racing developers since Bizarre Creations shit the bed.

I will get F1 2011 depending on 2010.

Wrong answer. Get F1 2011 now.

Fixed1979

Foliorum Viridum said:
Give us some good impressions, Staab.

I expected more posts today, to be honest. Americans are slackers or too busy playing!

It's work time!! I'll try to get some Fraps on the go tonight though.

Top Bottom