• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Flunkie

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Downloading. Bought with soundtrack, you guys better do the same.
For less than a dollar more, why wouldn't you?

But does the soundtrack appear in the game list? Or just as music files in the game folder?

Edit: I should know from Frozen Synapse that it's the latter case, just want to reassure myself.

Red

SalsaShark said:
Downloading. Bought with soundtrack, you guys better do the same.
Wait I didn't see that option. I think I just got the vanilla package :(

Fuck I didn't scroll down far enough. Bought in browser and "with soundtrack" wasn't on screen. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

GatorFan

Banned
Died after the second boss. I don't get what the secrets are though. Said I found a spider in the basement? lol Awesome game though

Salsa

Fuckin loving it.

LOVE the idea of a
machine that trades your hearts for coins
, plenty of stuff that basically makes you set up your own difficulty through risk/reward.

Stitch

Gold Member
is there no 360 pad support or am I too stupid to enable it?

edit: ok I guess keyboard only
edit2: wasd?? yeah no thanks. I wait for the pad support...

Salsa

Stitch said:
is there no 360 pad support or am I too stupid to enable it?

Nope, at least for now (i can see why, given the hints, way of shooting/number of buttons and whatnot).

I'll set up a .cfg file to use with joytokey and put it here to download, as soon as i die for the first time :p

Crimson Clown said:
The lack of controller support is kind of baffling. Playing with the keyboard and/or mouse doesn't feel right.

There's no mouse.

edit: ah! he added mouse shooting at the last minute it seems, but yeah its more akward.

Red

SalsaShark said:
Nope, at least for now (i can see why, given the hints and whatnot).

I'll set up a .cfg file to use with joytokey and put it here to download, as soon as i die for the first time :p
I love you

duckroll

Pros:
- Creative theme
- Interesting gameplay mechanics
- Lots of mystery in what the gameplay offers
- Pretty fun

Cons:
- No controller support
- Resolution support is terrible
- Takes ages to load after launch
- Framerate drops galore
- Controls kinda lack responsiveness
- Game fails to terminate process upon exit

Salsa

Died with Gurdy, and god damn do i love this game.

Gonna work on a pad support alternative now.

duckroll said:
Pros:
- Creative theme
- Pretty fun

Cons:
- No controller support
- Framerate drops galore

Had none of this, but the other ones are understandable. Controls arent nearly as tight as Tommy's on SMB, so for one coming from that it can be kinda jarring, but id say i got used to it (different weapons also shoot differently and it helps).

Im expecting a patch in the next couple hours to fix the process not ending thing and the load times.

duckroll

I think the game needs a few patches before it'll really shine. The core idea is really interesting, and the game is fun, but the technical aspects are really pretty bad, especially compared to SMB.

duckroll said:
Pros:
- Creative theme
- Pretty fun

Cons:
- No controller support
- Framerate drops galore
Hmm will wait for patches then

Also died on the second boss, but I was wearing a laser eye and latex/leather suit that a demon sold me for my life.
The only thing missing would be the eye firing lasers of understanding.

Awesome start and I can only imagine that it'll get better from here.

Still haven't figured out how the different colored hearts work out, though.
Seems as if the red ones are "regular" health and the blue ones seem to be one-shot bonus health.

This game is for sure made by crazy people for crazy people - I love it.

duckroll

SalsaShark said:
Had none of this, but the other ones are understandable. Controls arent nearly as tight as Tommy's on SMB, so for one coming from that it can be kinda jarring, but id say i got used to it (different weapons also shoot differently and it helps).

Im expecting a patch in the next couple hours to fix the process not ending thing and the load times.

In rooms where there are like 8-9 enemies all firing garbage at you, the framerate DEFINITELY drops. The problem isn't so much the framerate, but the responsiveness when it drops. It's a bit iffy regularly, but in these situations it becomes kinda lame to try evading stuff while shooting since it's just sluggish.

Salsa

DMPrince said:
Hmm will wait for patches then

While i agree with some of what duckroll said; id say dont. The game is great fun once you get into it and knowing Edmund the patches will coming later today or tomorrow.

duckroll

Honestly, I don't see why anyone who is really interested in the game at all would "wait". It's less than 5 dollars. You can barely get a good lunch for that amount of money.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yeah, this game is cheap (yay!) and looks cool, like Smash TV crossed with Legend Of Zelda and Chris Cunningham's worst cartoon nightmares, but no controller support? I'll wait for it to be patched in, thanks. There's no excuses for lacking pad support in PC games these days.

*remembers that AAAaaaaAAAaaaaAAA! never had controller support patched in, despite numerous requests*

*STILL salty at Dejibaan Games for that*

Eusis

Dambrosi said:
There's no excuses for lacking pad support in PC games these days.
While this isn't one of those cases, there ARE a lot of games that are either designed specifically for kb/m or simply would be a mess to map to a gamepad (like a lot of strategy games.)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
kyubajin said:
Man this game is hard... and I don't know what any of the items do until I waste them :/

Hardcore baby.

Salsa

Alright, finished a controller support alternative:

ijnoND0VJtqrF.png

Instructions: Just download, unrar the file, run it and stop bitchin!

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ha16igqh9y6b8zg

Glass Rebel

I played about 6 times, got no further than basement three, encountered 3 different big bosses and 4 mini bosses, was at the arcade, got 3 familiars, several upgrades and LASER TEARS.

Love this game.

Dambrosi

Banned
Eusis said:
While this isn't one of those cases, there ARE a lot of games that are either designed specifically for kb/m or simply would be a mess to map to a gamepad (like a lot of strategy games.)
While that's true, what I'm getting at is that "those that can, should", i.e., there's no excuse for this kind of game not to include controller support as standard. It's clearly an oversight which must be remedied.

EDIT: And I see that our very own SalsaShark has provided for us. Thanks, dude!

Top Bottom