• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

I'm going to try to say something logical for a change.

Yeah, we are all raging (trololol) because we can't play this properly on release night...but it will get fixed in a day or two and it will be the superior version once it's fixed.

PC Master Race optimist, signing off.

Salsa

MisterAnderson said:

Yeah, we are all raging (trololol) because we can't play this properly on release night...but it will get fixed in a day or two and it will be the superior version once it's fixed.

yup. Believe.

Duallusion

Canceled my X360 preorder this morning (probably just in time too). 10 - 12 hours on average is a far cry from promised 15 - 20, and these estimates (however unreliable) sure do factor in regards to my full-price purchases.

Will still buy but wait for a price drop.

Thunderbear said:
But the guy you quoted said "This game runs insanely smooth that my eyes hurt. Weird."

Running smoothly would be framerate, not visual fidelity? I agree with you about visual fidelity, but Rage runs butterly smooth which I assume is what he meant...

Yeah, should have clarified.

Dilli666

MisterAnderson said:

This. Thanks to all the US beta testers.
I'll add your discovered fixes/patches on Friday when the game unlocks in EU.

;-)

Dmented

Banned
Looks buggy as hell but I don't see why people are complaining calling it a console port on PC.

No shit.

Carmack has said all along that it's a console game.

Autofokus

Autofokus - Page 51 said:
By page 65, I predict a major backslash about the tech.

Main arguments : a) muddy textures and b) UE3 poor texture streaming 2.0
And I wasn't even talking about the PC version. :)

brb, I'll get me a cookie. *nom nom nom*

Crazy excited for the Digital Foundry face-off as i'm VERY curious to see how often both version drop their resolution and how low it really goes.
Just judging from the vids thrown up, it looks pretty damn great in that regard ala WipeoutHD and not Dark Athena.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To whomever commissar bacon is on Steam: yes, I unlocked the game just fine using a US VPN, and, yes, you assumed correctly my Steam identity. (You were offline by the time I noticed the chat request.)

reektann

It's a shame how Carmack has said the texture quality is the same across all versions. Maybe they'll bring out this PC high res pack they were talking about.

kx11

Banned
should i upload some very low textures from ps3 version ?? some people need to see how carmack is wrong about his game

Welp, with a good hour or two under my belt and i am really liking the game despite the horrible pop in textures but i am going to try the beta Nvidia drivers out even though my GTX285 won't apparently get to use the OpenGL 4.2 drivers. I just did my first sewer mission and even though it was ultra short it was fucking rad. It was
nothing but KILL KILL KILL one mutant after another as i had to kind of fight my way across one sewer and up a flight or 3 of stairs while under constant mutant attack, was quite the adrenaline rush!!!

Salsa

kx11 said:
should i upload some very low textures from ps3 version ?? some people need to see how carmack is wrong about his game

for the 11th time: read what Megatextures actually are.

NBtoaster

reektann said:
It's a shame how Carmack has said the texture quality is the same across all versions. Maybe they'll bring out this PC high res pack they were talking about.

That would be something like 50GB.

SalsaShark said:
for the 11th time: read what Megatextures actually are.

I'll help:

Wiki MegaTexture

MegaTexture employs a single large texture space for static terrain. The texture is stored on removable media or a computer's hard drive and streamed as needed, allowing large amounts of detail and variation over a large area with comparatively little RAM usage. Depending on the pixel resolution per square meter, covering a large area could require several gigabytes of memory. However, an average video card has only 1 gigabyte of RAM available, not including what is used by the rest of the game. As the player moves around the game, different sections of the megatexture are loaded into memory. They are then scaled to the correct size and applied to the 3D models of the terrain.

Sloane

Banned
Eurogamer said:
This certainly isn't a video game like the ones we're used to playing in 2011, smothered in celebrity voice actors and shoulder-grabbingly intense expository cut-scenes, and varnished by psychologists so we never look in the wrong direction when we're sprinting away from a set-piece. Instead it's something simpler and more old-fashioned.
All I need to know. Sounds perfect.

daxter01 said:
people with the game does lack of dynamic lighting bother you?

From all the footage I've seen, not in the least.
Artists dig a bang up job sculpting this world. I really think that's awesome and appreciate the environments that much more because of it. Nothing procedural.

Yuripaw

Banned
Reuenthal said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5oEdfT4OWY

Yeah with me having a somewhat old hardware and for PC gamers in general having problems I will probably skip this.
Yikes, that is hideous...here I was considering getting the PC version.

Other than all the PC performance complaints, for anyone who picked it up at midnight (assuming they're watching this thread), how's the game so far? This game wasn't high on my list of fall releases, but I kinda want it after seeing the GB quick look cuz it kinda looked awesome.

NBtoaster said:
Where's the AA man

But yeah, pretty impressive detail.

I knew someone was going to say that about AA haha. It is the sacrifice i had to make to have GPU Transcoding on. I might try AA again though even if only at 2x or 4x to see how it goes.

Jubbly

GPU Transcode makes a huge difference to the crappy texture streaming, but if you turn fast enough you can still see it as it changes. And I'm reading those on AMD can't use it? If so, uggh... I remember the terrible streaming in Singularity v1.0.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC said:
Well, this is practically unplayable for me. Any time I turn around the game pauses for a few seconds while the textures load. Alt-tabbing to the task manager reveals ~90% CPU usage, so I can only assume that GPU transcoding isn't working at all.

Setting Steam to go online seems to have fixed this for the most part (the only time the game has briefly frozen since the beginning is when I followed Dan Hagar out of the garage and into his ad hoc office). Weird, but I can now play the game.

mxgt

Banned
Was looking forward to seeing PC performance and impressions this morning before the EU release. Wow. Glad I didn't pre order this yet.

Jubbly

JaseC said:
Setting Steam to go online seems to have fixed this for the most part (the only time the game has briefly frozen since the beginning is when I followed Dan Hagar out of the garage and into his ad hoc office). Weird, but I can now play the game.

Didn't read earlier posts, but what GPU and CPU have you got?

Soooo, I am having a ton of fun just wondering around on foot...For example as i was headed to Wellspring
i came under attack by like 3 buggies with cannons and a watchtower with a gunner in it
and i was kinda unhappy i couldn't fight back, so i walked back on foot through the canyone and took out the little bugger in his nest, was so satisfying being able to do that.

Also, the buggy is the bees knees guys. I am having fun with the little side quest of killing the
Authority drones that you can get loot from by blasting off rock ramps and ramming into them
. The last one i just blew up, i thought it would be impossible from where i had to jump off of since the strip was so short and when i got it i let out an audible fuck yeah.

Top Bottom