• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Halo movie next year, Speilberg behind it

wwm0nkey

Not really so much of a rumor as it seems to have been very very clearly stated in the French press release kit for Halo: Cryptum.

At the bottom of the press release for the book this was stated

"A film adaptation is set in 2012. It will be conducted jointly by two heavyweights of American cinema: Steven Spielberg and Dreamworks."

Now we know Spielberg has been fighting to get a Halo movie done ever since he read the script for The Fall of Reach and we do know he has talked to Microsoft about it.

Seems like everything Halo is destined to be leaked by the French lol

Source HBO

wwm0nkey

Vinterbird said:
So they're filming Cryptum and the Forerunner trilogy instead of Fall of Reach? Not as hyped as I could be now.
Hey now Cryptum was an amazing book and the events in the Forerunner trilogy do set up the story for the new Halo trilogy.

Why tell a story on a Trilogy that has just closed? I mean I would LOVE a Fall of Reach movie too but Cryptum is just as good and could be adapted to a movie pretty well too.

Jethro

Senorspielbergo.jpg

Woo-Fu

Banned
Spielberg is also behind a sci-fi TV show that features a far future that has pocket-sized, fixed-length laser cutters, but doesn't have infrared detectors.

Oh wait, they don't have infrared detectors when searching for unauthorized children but they do magically appear millions of years in the past to help track dinosaurs at night.

A TV series so lacking in the basics that in one scene people are told to dump their rebreathers in the bins---and they do so---only for those rebreathers to magically reappear around their necks in the very next scene.

At this point hearing "Spielberg is behind it." is as encouraging as hearing "This only causes diarrhea in rare cases."

He's basically a marketing tool for people living in a rosy past.

blamite

It would be really really interesting but also super risky if the movie was actually based o the story of the Forerunners. Cryptum was great but I don't think it's what most people would expect or want from a Halo movie.

What't the context of the original source, is that blurb talking about the Halo franchise as a whole, or Cryptum specifically?

wwm0nkey

Woo-Fu said:
Spielberg is also behind a sci-fi TV show that features a far future that has pocket-sized, fixed-length laser cutters, but doesn't have infrared detectors.

Oh wait, they don't have infrared detectors when searching for unauthorized children but they do magically appear millions of years in the past to help track dinosaurs at night.

A TV series so lacking in the basics that in one scene people are told to dump their rebreathers in the bins---and they do so---only for those rebreathers to magically reappear around their necks in the very next scene.

At this point hearing "Spielberg is behind it." is as encouraging as hearing "This only causes diarrhea in rare cases."

He's basically a marketing tool for people living in a rosy past.
Well i don't really see how you could fuck up Halo: Cryptum's story, its already there and established and its a good story.

mr stroke

Unless hes directing I am out. Everything hes been attached to(Transformers, Terra Nova) when hes not directing has been junk.

So we've gone from Peter Jackson and wingnut to Steven Speilberg and dreamworks. Not a trade I'd have asked for personally but it could be good.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The more important question is whether Halo: The Movie: The Game will be released.

J2d

wwm0nkey said:
Now we know Spielberg has been fighting to get a Halo movie done ever since he read the script for The Fall of Reach and we do know he has talked to Microsoft about it.
The idea that Spielberg has to fight to make a Halo movie is pretty funny, anyway I hope something comes out of it.

J2d said:
The idea that Spielberg has to fight to make a Halo movie is pretty funny, anyway I hope something comes out of it.

And Peter Jackson fought hard for it the first time around. It's strange that two of the film industry's most bankable names have struggled to get a Halo movie into production is pretty amusing. If were a studio exec and those two came by saying they really wanted to make this, I'd hand them the money straight away.

Firestorm said:
Neill Blomkamp for director or bust.

I have never understood this sentiment. I really don't think his style is a good match for the Halo aesthetic at all. Maybe, maybe if the movie were just about ODSTs, but that would be disappointingly restrictive. The best parts of the Halo mythos for me are sweeping vistas and grandeur on a massive scale, which is why I was so stoked when PJ was going to be involved.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Not excited, Steven Spielberg doesn't mean quality anymore. The Neill Blomkamp/Peter Jackson duo was what I wanted. I trust Frankie and the guys at 343 have the best intentions, but Halo Legends had some huge low points. Imagine Spielberg's movie being like The Package? I am actually scared.

wwm0nkey

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
And Peter Jackson fought hard for it the first time around. It's strange that two of the film industry's most bankable names have struggled to get a Halo movie into production is pretty amusing. If were a studio exec and those two came by saying they really wanted to make this, I'd hand them the money straight away.
Well if they where finally able to land a deal then we might finally see the one good video game movie. I can see them just calling the movie Cryptum though rather than Halo Cryptum

godhandiscen

The agreement fell through last time because Microsoft apparently wanted more money than Fox and Universal Studios were willing to give. Then script by Alex Garland wasn't bad, but the Chief sort of didn't feel like in the games.

I hope the movie is actually set in the Cryptum's side of the Halo universe. Telling a story in the game side's of the universe is hard as Bungie has showed us.

[Nintex]

I guess Microsoft thinks this is worthwhile because they need a marketing tool for the next Xbox and what will get people more hyped about Halo than a blockbuster movie?

wait, out in 2012 or to be announced in 2012? To make a decent halo movie, you'd need a pretty big budget and a tonne of CG. There's no way they could film, render and release in 2012.

I think the high budget and the fact that MS wants quite a lot of control is making this hard to swallow for the movie industry. They are not really used to dealing with mega-corps like MS and prefer to control everything themselves (like merchandising etc...).

wait, out in 2012 or to be announced in 2012? To make a decent halo movie, you'd need a pretty big budget and a tonne of CG. There's no way they could film, render and release in 2012.

Probably production starting 2012. So expect this in 2014 or so. Hmmm... maybe with the next gen?

wwm0nkey

snoopeasystreet said:
I want to say announced in 2012, not unless they have been working on it under our noses for awhile.

wwm0nkey

UnluckyKate said:
Spielberg should adapt the Fall of Reach instead of the Halo arc
Well why tell a story from an arc that has closed. Makes much more sense to tell the back story of the arc that is just starting up.

blamite

wwm0nkey said:
Well why tell a story from an arc that has closed. Makes much more sense to tell the back story of the arc that is just starting up.
it seems like a pretty big risk to make a Halo movie without any of the characters or settings that 99% of Halo fans are familiar with though. If this movie turns out to be real, I'm betting that it won't be Forerunner based, at least not entirely.

Withnail

As others have noted the timeframes don't make sense, unless they're saying it will begin production in 2012 in which case this is years out.

Cartman86 said:
Spielberg won't direct it. He's too busy.

No but he might take a producer role and 'oversee' a younger director he likes, as he did for JJ Abrahms and Super 8.

TheOddOne

This might be intresting:

Halo franchise roadmap includes new trilogies and film, transmedia campaign reveals
During a panel last night at the New York Comic Con, transmedia company Starlight Runner -- a business that helps plan cross-media campaigns for various properties, including Microsoft's Halo franchise -- gave a presentation on its work. Among the slides shown, company president and CEO Jeff Gomez previewed one that gave the audience a look at the future of Halo: two new trilogies starting in 2012/2013 with a major motion picture set for release by 2014.

Update: Microsoft representative Ryan James contacted Joystiq to say, "We worked with Starlight in the past, but the info isn't an accurate representation of our plans for the Halo franchise."
2 new trilogies and a motion picture? Sweet.

godhandiscen

Withnail said:
As others have noted the timeframes don't make sense, unless they're saying it will begin production in 2012 in which case this is years out.

No but he might take a producer role and 'oversee' a younger director he likes, as he did for JJ Abrahms and Super 8.
This project is already fucked.

Xater

Spielberg is absolutely not going to direct this, just producing. Let's hope they get a talented director.Blomkamp was such an awesome choice, but judging from all the interviews where he talked about Halo i doubt he would return to the project.

Busty

Banned
Seem like a PR guy (intern probably) Googled HALO movie so he could mention it in the press release and got this old story.

Couple of reasons why this won't fly. There is NO WAY in hell a HALO movie will be ready for 2012. Even if they started filming today they'd struggle to make a release date of next Xmas owing to the massive VFX work that would need to be done.

Secondly Dreamworks is seriously struggling with their finances at the moment. Their primary backer, an Indian media company called Reliance, is all but cutting the cord with them over the losses they've suffered over their recent slate.

Apparently Dreamworks have told various agents and managers around town that they are not taking pitches or buying projects at this time. So much so they had to get Fox aboard to finance most of Robopocalypse and that's with Spielberg directing.

It's not impossible but Dreamworks is on shaky ground at the moment and I just don't see them committing to such a massive project. Especially in the sort term. IIRC Warners kicked the tires on the HALO franchise years ago but balked at MS' demands for creative control.

If MS want a HALO movie that they can creatively control and retain lots of righs in the long term why don't they pay for this movie themselves and get a studio to distribute it for them?

Jethro said:

Hahahahaha

To be fair thought I made the EXACT same mistake when I started a thread on this very subject over TWO YEARS AGO.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370662

Funny how things change. Did they ever catch that IESB guy for raping his stepdaughter?

wwm0nkey said:
Nope he has been talking to Microsoft after he read the script for The Fall of Reach two years ago.

IIRC it didn't even get that far. Spielberg wanted a big Transformer sized franchise for his 'new' Dreamworks operation and knew that HALO was probably one of the biggest IPs out there not attached to a studio. Simple as.

CAA were handling the rights for MS and he made contact. I'm fairly sure that nothing ever came of it.

Top Bottom