• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright (3DS) Screens

weeaboo

QGk5J.jpg

ieBw5.jpg

Tu9Cc.jpg

NurSl.jpg

48dVl.jpg

eS4GJ.jpg

s3Uy7.jpg

W83tg.jpg

HTmir.jpg

nwaw3.jpg

JLzoV.jpg

RIjSG.jpg

There should be a new trailer somewhere

iavi

What is it about Phoenix and not translating to 3D well? Same thing with UMVSC3, his model looks stiff as hell. Maya, on the other hand, looks fucking great, in both mentioned cases. So weird.

Santar

Excited for this, nice how they recreate poses from the Ace Attorney games.
Really hope the game leans more to AA than Layton as I personally am not a fan of those games.
Wonder if we'll get a localization.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Phoenix still looks awkward. He's too scrawny and expressionless, same as UMVC3. Honestly it puts me off the game. His face just doesn't look right.

EDIT: I see I'm not alone.

the problem i see with 3D Phoenix is that he looks more like a human being, thus more serious and the crazy bits around him don't seem to fit too well, i.e. his hair

still, buying this

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Ushojax said:
Phoenix still looks awkward. He's too scrawny and expressionless, same as UMVC3. Honestly it puts me off the game. His face just doesn't look right.

EDIT: I see I'm not alone.
oh no, his chest looks 0.3cm narrower! so scrawny!
he looks the same. in other words, he looks just fine.

ShinNL

I never thought Maya was cute, but here she is looking super cute :O

I really like the style. I don't really have a problem with Phoenix.

zigg

jooey said:
he looks the same.

No, he really doesn't at all. I think there's a lot of expression to his character that's typically drawn in through exaggerated art, stuff that's done quite differently in 3D.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, does anyone know how this game plays yet?

trinest

Is it me or are the 3D models for the main characters in those screenshots much better than the original media, which when we first saw this game it was the other characters looked better now its the main characters look better. They seem to have more polish which is pretty good.

trinest said:
Is it me or are the 3D models for the main characters in those screenshots much better than the original media, which when we first saw this game it was the other characters looked better now its the main characters look better. They seem to have more polish which is pretty good.

they kind of look the same to me

So one aspect of this crossover that I have been wondering about: fonts. It recently struck me that, at least with the localizations, each series' DS games have been pretty consistent in what font(s) they use. I'm wondering what this game does, but having not played any of them in Japanese and not being a Japanese speaker, I can't determine anything from those shots.

jgminto

His nose and eyes look weird. Maybe they are spaced too far apart? I'm not sure but it makes you focus on his nose.

EVIL

zigg said:
No, he really doesn't at all. I think there's a lot of expression to his character that's typically drawn in through exaggerated art, stuff that's done quite differently in 3D.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, does anyone know how this game plays yet?
you base his lack of expressions on one screenshot. Its perfectly possible to do him justice * hur hur* in 3d, so lets wait for some actual game play before judging how well it works.

GSR

Odd that they aren't showing off any screens involving presenting evidence (hell, there isn't even a button for it on the cross-examination), since it's in the demo at L5 World:

s8BT6.jpg

Thoraxes

GSR said:
Odd that they aren't showing off any screens involving presenting evidence (hell, there isn't even a button for it on the cross-examination), since it's in the demo at L5 World:

s8BT6.jpg
The touch screen maybe?

the problem with phoenix's 3D models is that he looks a little too dumb and naive, and he is anything but.

not a big deal tho. as long as the writing and puzzles are top-notch, i'm all in. what is shu takumi's role in this game?

watershed

Banned
Looks great but I hope we see some new stuff soon. Level 5 seems to be doing really well at the start of this new handheld gen.

The M.O.B

After playing the Layton games and then getting around to finishing the Phoenix Wright games (& Apollo Justice), I wish Level-5 wasn't doing the story, dialogue, or characters.

Phoenix Wright games have Layton beat in all of those categories, the story is more engaging, the dialogue is better, funnier, and gives life to the characters, the characters are actually unique.

In Layton, everything takes a backseat to the puzzles(not necessarily a bad thing), there are many characters but 95% of them you will forget about by the end. The story is just there, it's simple and just serves as a purpose for the puzzles. But at least the puzzles are good.

Do we know who is in charge of what for this game? Anybody from Capcom working on it?

The M.O.B said:
After playing the Layton games and then getting around to finishing the Phoenix Wright games (& Apollo Justice), I wish Level-5 wasn't doing the story, dialogue, or characters.

Phoenix Wright games have Layton beat in all of those categories, the story is more engaging, the dialogue is better, funnier, and gives life to the characters, the characters are actually unique.

In Layton, everything takes a backseat to the puzzles(not necessarily a bad thing), there are many characters but 95% of them you will forget about by the end. The story is just there, it's simple and just serves as a purpose for the puzzles. But at least the puzzles are good.

Do we know who is in charge of what for this game? Anybody from Capcom working on it?
Shu Takumi, the creator of the Gyakuten Saiban series, is writing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maya is perfect.
Phoenix almost: strangely his eyes are too black.

The M.O.B said:

...yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with everything you said here with the exception of the story bit. I've always preferred Layton over the Ace Attorney series, mostly because the Ace Attorney series stopped being interesting after Pheonix stopped being the main character.

The stories in the Layton games are just an excuse for the puzzle-solving (hence so many random characters giving you puzzles for some random reason), but at least they were interesting, even if they didn't make sense most of the time (Diabolical Box). Professor Layton himself is one of the best written and thought-out characters this generation, IMO.

DR2K

Banned
milkyjay20 said:
the problem with phoenix's 3D models is that he looks a little too dumb and naive, and he is anything but.

not a big deal tho. as long as the writing and puzzles are top-notch, i'm all in. what is shu takumi's role in this game?

His character is dumb and naive like 90% of the time in the games.

The M.O.B

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
...yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with everything you said here with the exception of the story bit. I've always preferred Layton over the Ace Attorney series, mostly because the Ace Attorney series stopped being interesting after Pheonix stopped being the main character.

The stories in the Layton games are just an excuse for the puzzle-solving (hence so many random characters giving you puzzles for some random reason), but at least they were interesting, even if they didn't make sense most of the time (Diabolical Box). Professor Layton himself is one of the best written and thought-out characters this generation, IMO.

anime-phoenix-wright-876301.gif

Layton's entire character is "I IZ TRUE GENTLEMEN", which he repeatedly lectures Luke about over and over. He is boring. He points out puzzles, doesn't make any jokes or say anything interesting, doesn't seem to have much emotion, or just never shows it. I can't blame the Layton games for having boring characters and story, they wanted to focus on the puzzles and they accomplished that exceptionally well.

Luke is ............well............ lets not even go into which series has the best sidekicks.

watershed

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Layton's entire character is "I IZ TRUE GENTLEMEN", which he repeatedly lectures Luke about over and over. He is boring. He points out puzzles, doesn't make any jokes or say anything interesting, doesn't seem to have much emotion, or just never shows it. I can't blame the Layton games for having boring characters and story, they wanted to focus on the puzzles and they accomplished that exceptionally well.

Luke is ............well............ lets not even go into which series has the best sidekicks.
Did you play Unwound Future? That game really flushed out Layton's backstory and gave him depth as a character. I agree Layton was relatively stiff in Curious Village and Diabolical Box didn't advance the series much in any way. But UF had a better story with lots of emotion mixed into all the crazy stuff. Layton came off as much more human at the end of UF.

fernoca

Father_Brain said:
What is it with Level-5 and releasing screens at sub-3DS resolution? This and Fantasy Life...
Guess for "damage control".
-If the screen were at the exact same resolution, people would complain about the lack of "compelling textures".
-If the screen were at a higher resolution, people would complain about "bullshots".

Is more of a "here are some pics so you all know we're still making it, leave us alone!..bye!"

:p

The M.O.B

artwalknoon said:
Did you play Unwound Future? That game really flushed out Layton's backstory and gave him depth as a character. I agree Layton was relatively stiff in Curious Village and Diabolical Box didn't advance the series much in any way. But UF had a better story with lots of emotion mixed into all the crazy stuff. Layton came off as much more human at the end of UF.

Not yet, I played the first two Layton games, I was going to skip unwound and just get the last spector but maybe I will gamefly Unwound Future if this is true.

watershed

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Not yet, I played the first two Layton games, I was going to skip unwound and just get the last spector but maybe I will gamefly Unwound Future if this is true.
I won't spoil anything for you but the game's story is directly related to Layton's past and its the most emotional story in the series. I consider it the best game in the series yet.

Top Bottom