• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

snatches

I just got a release list from Bethesda....first one in a while. I gave it a quick glance then did a double take and spit take with my morning coffee.....take a look:

PS2 AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
XBX AMF Extreme Bowling 2006 (Mud Duck) 9-May-06
PS2 IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
XBX IHRA Sportsman Edition 9-May-06
PS2 Pirates Of The Caribbean:Legend of Jack Sparrow 1-Jun-06
PS2 Star Trek - Battlestations 6-Oct-06
360 Star Trek - Legacy 6-Oct-06
DS Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PSP Star Trek - Tactical Assault 6-Oct-06
PS3 Oblivion 6-Nov-06
PSP Oblivion 6-Nov-06

Well,

That kills my need for the 360 for the moment. I really want it, quite badly, but I may now be able to wait until '07

trmas

Banned
Wonder if it will have a bunch of extras, or just be the same game? I might end up buying this game twice if there are a ton of extras.

snatches

I don't know what the hell they would do with a PSP version but I can tell you that the list is from Bethesda, and is definitely not speculation. Perhaps the PSP version is a take off that allows you to use your created character in side quests, with some kind of connectivity angle with the PS3 version.

goldenpp72

Of course it wouldn't be a straight port, I simply doubt the effort in general. If it does happen it will be horrible.

teiresias

PSP?? I'll take this with a grain of salt, but obviously it would be nice if it came to PS3 since it's so far the only game that is making me want an X360, and quite obviously the "no HDD" excuse isn't valid anymore - maybe we'll get a GOTY Edition with all of the microtransactions included!!! Superior version FTW!!!

They did release an Elder Scrolls game on the N-Gage so a PSP version wouldn't be out of the relm of possibility.

article_ShadowKey2.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
snatches said:
I don't know what the hell they would do with a PSP version but I can tell you that the list is from Bethesda, and is definitely not speculation.

Sorry to ask again, but who did they circulate this to? Retail, press, analysts..?

White Man

Make it a cleaned up port of Daggerfall and the PSP version could be the best Elder Scrolls yet. Of course it would have to be REALLy cleaned up and modernized.

Core407

Banned
I swear to God, If they get rid of all the loading times and take away the low res textures in the distance, Ill buy a PS3 for this one game.

snatches said:
I don't know what the hell they would do with a PSP version but I can tell you that the list is from Bethesda, and is definitely not speculation. Perhaps the PSP version is a take off that allows you to use your created character in side quests, with some kind of connectivity angle with the PS3 version.

Agreed.

I don't know why people would even begin to think it's a simple port. The handheld market is a place almost all publishers are trying to go and the PSP is the only system that might get them there. I'd expect it to be loosely tied to Oblivion using similar game mechanics, locations, and character models (scaled down obviously), but with a PSP specific engine and significantly less aggressive in terms of scale.

How can Morrowind on the go be a bad thing? These guys have made what many consider the best RPG in recent times, but once it gets attached to the PSP, it's suddenly worthless? I'd love to finally get a decent RPG on the PSP, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

I still don't know if this is true or not, but the reaction going down party lines all the time is tiring.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, probably won't be a port, but more along the lines of the cell phone game.

Phats is correct, Oblivion needs all love.

teiresias

snatches said:
Write it down. The 6th is the ship day so November 7th is Black Tuesday. PS3 launch.

Not necessarily, I remember my local EB having PS2 launch titles in maybe a week or two before the console launched. Somehow I doubt Sony would allow a developer to inadvertantely leak the launch date via a distributer email.

But seriously, Oblvion at launch would be VERY nice - a nice contrast to what appears to be a large swath of largely "arcady" games that is currently on tap for launch. But between Oblivion, FFXII, and wanting to replay some PSOne games if the BC makes them look rather nice I'm going to be drowning by the end of the year.

Odrion said:
Yeah, probably won't be a port, but more along the lines of the cell phone game.

Phats is correct, Oblivion needs all love.

Yeah, I've consistently thought, "You know, this PSP game could have easily been done on a cell phone. They are pretty much the same."

[/super duper mongo rolleyes]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Obliivion for PSP? Huh? Maybe some side quest type of deal.

To those of you who have played the game extensively, how difficult do you think it would be to port something like that with massively scaled down graphics?

Basically, how much more the actual game (not graphics!) is complex that Morrowind, which was a game I could possibly see on PSP, with graphics much worse than on Xbox obviously.

Have in mind that there are engines on PSP (Daxter) that allow for streaming environments like we are used on consoles, and despite that Daxter is one of the best looking games on the system.

Row

Banned
Doesn't MS have some kind of deal with Betesda, that reduces Bethesda to being MS' bitch? I find this (PS3 & PSP releases of Oblivion) hard to believe

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If they include in the PAL version (or if it is region-free) English Subtitles and all the in-game books with their original English text (the Italian localization has many grammar errors and dubious sentences) and the graphics+frame rate+physics+A.I. are AT LEAST on par with the Xbox 360 version, I WILL double-dip.

snatches

teiresias said:
Not necessarily, I remember my local EB having PS2 launch titles in maybe a week or two before the console launched. Somehow I doubt Sony would allow a developer to inadvertantely leak the launch date via a distributer email.

They said it would launch by November 10th, the 7th is a pretty good bet.

PS3 isn't hard to believe, but I'd be suprised if the PSP had anything approaching Oblivion. I'd rather they created a PSP-focused game in the Oblivion world.

Row said:
Doesn't MS have some kind of deal with Betesda, that reduces Bethesda to being MS' bitch? I find this (PS3 & PSP releases of Oblivion) hard to believe

No.

Bethesda signed with Take-Two this time around. I believe they self published Morrowind on the Xbox. I'm not aware of any exclusivity for Microsoft.

Top Bottom