• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic 06

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
Having said that... there's something about this game. I'm not sure what it is. Charm? Maybe that's the word. Maybe not. For some reason, I still want to play this game. I want to finish the whole thing. I want to see just how far the rabbit hole goes. I get a sense of excitement while playing. Between the loading times and losing progress, this game is... fun. And to be honest, well...

I can't say the same thing about Sonic Unleashed, or Colors.

Dude just admit you were wrong, sheesh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anth0ny said:
Like E.T 2600 bad. The game isn't that bad.

I have watched the whole LP, and I would say this game certainly looks worse to play than ET. It's probably the worst game of all time.

Orayn

Andrex said:
I have watched the whole LP, and I would say this game certainly looks worse to play than ET. It's probably the worst game of all time.
It's a complete mess for sure, but still a far cry from the likes of Big Rigs and Extreme Paintbrawl.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Orayn said:
It's a complete mess for sure, but still a far cry from the likes of Big Rigs and Extreme Paintbrawl.

I don't know, are those games as long as Sonic 2006? Because we have to compare the amount of torture required to "beat" each one IMO.

Besides that, Sonic has an abhorrent script and disgusting plot, bugs up the ying yang, and simultaneously tarnishes its own series namesake and that of its developer in a way no other release, major or minor, has ever done before its release and likely will never again. This isn't event taking into account the "hype" and the way the developers misled its fanbase before release ("going back to Sonic's roots.")

Even its graphics are sparse, ugly, low-poly, low-texture, 5fps or less at times, with bloom thrown on top of the vomit to make it look barely decent for "next-gen." Just compared with Unleashed, or hell even Colors, it falls woefully short of meeting the graphical bar. To say nothing of the awful character art (spindly-legged Sonic and realistic-Eggman among the worse redesigns of all-time, up there with Bomberman Act Zero.)

I would consider Sonic 2006 worse than Superman 64, based on ProtonJon's LP being amazing while Sonic 2006's LP gives us an idea on how painful the game is.

ET can at least be figured out how to play consistently, AFAIK.

Big Rigs, I haven't played, but based on videos it's bad in a non-painful (in fact, opposite of pain) and funny way.

The soundtrack in 06 is one of the best in the Sonic series. My motivation to want to listen to the entire OST got me through this game. While playing, I would try and imagine a game that was up to par to the quality of the music. It's sad. It's just so sad and painful that such a brilliant OST was wasted on a beta version of a game. It's a crime.

Surprisingly there are glimmers buried deep deeep in Sonic's gameplay resembling something fun. Even the pokecapn LP admit it at one point. But then the load times make you wait. The framerate enters bullet time. FUCKING SHADOWS ARE GENERATED ON THE FLY NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. WHY. The level design works against you. Collisioning issues. Shitty uncontrollable friend sections. More load times. Out of control Mach-Speed sections. Coding that would embarrass a teenager making a flash games. Lifeless town and side missions. The list goes on and on.

It's baffling what a trainwreck they managed to create here. I would personally be interested if one day a documentary was made about this game. What went wrong. What the team went through. What kind of decisions and thinking they were fucking making to release the game in the state it was. Because whatever they did to create this is really something fucking special, and it needs to be documented forever so it never happens again.

(except for organizing a music team that awesome, great move on their part. that's it.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SwiftSketcher said:
The soundtrack in 06 is one of the best in the Sonic series. My motivation to want to listen to the entire OST got me through this game. While playing, I would try and imagine a game that was up to par to the quality of the music. It's sad. It's just so sad and painful that such a brilliant OST was wasted on a beta version of a game. What a crime.

Surprisingly there are glimmers buried deep deeep in Sonic's gameplay resembling something fun. Even the pokecapn LP admit it at one point. But then the load times make you wait. The framerate enters bullet time. FUCKING SHADOWS ARE GENERATED ON THE FLY NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. WHY. The level design works against you. Collisioning issues. Shitty uncontrollable friend sections. More load times. Coding that would embarrass a teenager making a flash games. Lifeless town and side missions. The list goes on and on.

It's baffling what a trainwreck they managed to create here. I would personally be interested if one day a documentary was made about this game. What went wrong. What the team went through. What kind of decisions and thinking they were fucking making to release the game in the state it was. Because whatever they did to create this is really something fucking special, and it needs to be documented forever so it never happens again.

At least 99% of the design decisions in the game were just plain wrong, and the nonexistent dev time and budget just exacerbate it almost to a point of horrible game singularity.

He has got a good point though. There's a certain morbid kind of fun that you get from this game that you don't from Colours in seeing just how bad it can possibly get!

Oh and believe me, you haven't even seen the half of it yet. It somehow gets worse!

FreeMufasa

Bad game but I had a lot of fun with it playing it co-op. I'd still prefer if sonic games had stayed in the adv/adv2/06 gameplay style instead of unleashed. But I don't hate unleashed gameplay anymore. playing the game again with just the day time levels and then following it up with Colours shows how good it is.

I remember thinking the same thing about 06 as you did. It can't be as bad as people say and when you play the first beach level, it's not really that bad. Then the glitches and shit jump in and it's all down hill.

Sega should fix it, add a few more things and re-release it as Sonic Adventure 3. Because that's what it is pretty much.

OMG Aero

Anth0ny said:
Having said that... there's something about this game. I'm not sure what it is. Charm? Maybe that's the word.
Pretty sure the phrase you are looking for is Stockholm Syndrome.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
SPOILERS
Worst_Elise3--article_image.jpg

I agree that Sonic Adventure 2 Sonic/Shadow stages are the best form of 3D Sonic. But Colors is still really good, and you don't have to suffer through hours of mediocrity to get to it. Boosting didn't dominate that game like it did Unleashed, and I even liked Unleashed.

In any case, playing Sonic 06 is not the correct response to not enjoying colors. The only way Sonic 06 is good in any context is sitting down with a group of friends and laughing at it. Or watching the pokecapn LP wherein which a group of friends sit down and laugh at it.

If anyone is else is thinking about trying to play Sonic 06 alone, just think about this: It's worse than Shadow The Hedgehog. The gravity of that statement might not sink in if you haven't played Shadow, but to those who have, even briefly, you know the deal. Stay away, far away.

MechaX

Anth0ny said:
Having said that... there's something about this game. I'm not sure what it is. Charm? Maybe that's the word. Maybe not. For some reason, I still want to play this game. I want to finish the whole thing. I want to see just how far the rabbit hole goes. I get a sense of excitement while playing. Between the loading times and losing progress, this game is... fun. And to be honest, well...

I can't say the same thing about Sonic Unleashed, or Colors.

Keep playing, and you'll see exactly how wrong you really are with this one.

And if you manage to get to the final actual stage, you'll see how much fucking "charm" this piece of shit has.

Dark Schala said:
Obligatory Sonic 2006 is a bad game and here's why video post.

Because they want you to meet Sonic Man.

http://i.imgur.com/XqsJN.png[IMG]

As for the end of your post... you probably [I]need[/I] to finish the Silver Story, the Shadow Story and the Last Story before you render a final verdict for this game. Trust me, I did them and I was just ... oh god, I can't stand even playing through the first hub world and the first level of Sonic's Story anymore. The game is so... unfun to me, and it became even moreso after I did the the Shadow, Silver and the Last Story.

This puzzle in Silver's Story, in particular, is awful.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/34mOG.jpg[IMG]

Don't.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious, a comment on the video is actually defending the game. Sonic fans are truly mad. Actually my brother was one and bought this game, and proceeded to tell me that everything was just part of the game and I wasn't good enough.

Over the years, he proceeded to change his opinion though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It really is a vile game. Truly among the worst I've ever experienced. What's worse is that there ARE some decent bits in there among the crap (rare though they may be). I was actually excited for this game and purchased it on day for full price. Seriously. I was right there playing it before anyone on GAF had even posted a single impression. I did NOT expect those loading screens or the barrels of other shit that is wrong with this game.

The only piece of credit I can give the game is that it ran at 60 fps (well, much of the time). Yes, in an era where framerates typically dive well below 30 fps this piece of shit game actually managed 60 fps even with fully dynamic shadows across the environment (though the draw in of those shadows was rather pathetic). It just seems strange to me that such a poorly programmed game could actually deliver 60 fps at 1280x720. Shame all following 3D Sonic games were 30 fps with slowdown. :\

Tambini

Lol great read

I remember when a friend offered to get me Sonic 06 for my birthday. He said it looked awesome and we should try it out together.

"aww how kind..hey heres an idea..lets check the reviews to see just how awesome it is!"

dodged a bullet

I promised sonicGAF a few month ago id get 1000/1000 Gamescore on this game, and im still dedicated to that promise.

I actually dont hate the game.

Not even trollin thou

Zafir

FreeMufasa said:
Bad game but I had a lot of fun with it playing it co-op. I'd still prefer if sonic games had stayed in the adv/adv2/06 gameplay style instead of unleashed. But I don't hate unleashed gameplay anymore. playing the game again with just the day time levels and then following it up with Colours shows how good it is.

I remember thinking the same thing about 06 as you did. It can't be as bad as people say and when you play the first beach level, it's not really that bad. Then the glitches and shit jump in and it's all down hill.

Sega should fix it, add a few more things and re-release it as Sonic Adventure 3. Because that's what it is pretty much.
Heh, I kind of agree. Loved the SA/SA2 gameplay style. That said I still quite enjoyed the daytime unleashed levels and Sonic Colours. My only disappointment with colours was there wasn't enough level variety. I mean there was like 7 acts for each stage? Would have liked to see more stages and less acts, personally.

I remember being so hopeful for 06 though. Bought it for full price. In the end I only managed to get a bit further than the TC before I thought fuck it and gave up. The funny thing is, I actually didn't hate it for the first 2ish levels from what I remember. It's just, the levels seemed to get sloppier and sloppier. I think I finally gave up after flame core, because I was just sick of the glitches. I mean I was actually afraid to hit speed boosts, incase the game threw me off the ledge for it thanks to not hitting it at the right angle.

Rain_ng

Banned
Got the 1000/1000 when it first came out, just to prove that it could be done. I remember collecting the last Achievement, saving then turning it off and never, ever playing it again.

Getting the S Rank for Sonic's last mach speed section brought me to tears, as did one of Shadows stupid vehicle levels (Shitty speed boat) and THAT Silver fight smh.

mik83kuu

Banned
Anth0ny said:
-Why does the music in this town sound like the Star Wars theme song? The resemblance is pretty damn clear. Did they not have enough time to compose new music for this game or something?

Haha just listened to the hub world music and it does have a SW vibe to it. Go Sega!

PS Who is the man/woman in the first .gif on this thread? Rick James :-D

jman2050

Anth0ny said:
Peer pressure mostly. From GAF and friends in real life. With the way people described this game, I expected it to be bad. And I mean BAD. Like E.T 2600 bad. The game isn't that bad.

Then again, I haven't played the Shadow and Silver stages yet O_O

Crisis City is the best stage in the entire game.

Let that sink in for a moment.

AniHawk said:
the lp was amazing. i loved the part where it broke their brains.

I assume you mean the Last Story stage? I loved that, you could pinpoint almost to the second the moment when the entire group transitioned from fun sarcastic humor-driven hate to dead serious frustration.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
A good contender for the worst game I've ever played. Thank god I got it for free.

Anth0ny

SwiftSketcher said:
Surprisingly there are glimmers buried deep deeep in Sonic's gameplay resembling something fun. Even the pokecapn LP admit it at one point. But then the load times make you wait. The framerate enters bullet time. FUCKING SHADOWS ARE GENERATED ON THE FLY NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. WHY. The level design works against you. Collisioning issues. Shitty uncontrollable friend sections. More load times. Out of control Mach-Speed sections. Coding that would embarrass a teenager making a flash games. Lifeless town and side missions. The list goes on and on.

I think this sums up my feelings pretty damn well.

Playing through Sonic Colors was pretty much this:

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

Whereas Sonic 06 is more like this:

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

"SAVE PELE, THE BELOVED DOG."

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

"IT'S NO USE, TAKE THIS."

It's so shit that it loops back around to fun. Will it loop back to shit again? Keep an eye on this topic >_>

Yeah but the one time they admit something isn't that bad in their LP was fighting Egg Genesis, which seemed like an actual competent boss fight where the camera wasn't broken and things made sense.

Varjet

Anthony said:
Having said that... there's something about this game. I'm not sure what it is. Charm? Maybe that's the word. Maybe not. For some reason, I still want to play this game. I want to finish the whole thing. I want to see just how far the rabbit hole goes. I get a sense of excitement while playing. Between the loading times and losing progress, this game is... fun.
I don't think that's it. You probably just have really bad taste :p

WillyFive

Anth0ny said:
It's so shit that it loops back around to fun. Will it loop back to shit again? Keep an eye on this topic >_>

I understand.

Sometimes something is good, but not particularly impressive, so you don't end up thinking a lot about it.

But a really bad thing will make you think, and get you attached to it in a way that really shouldn't be done.

Rain_ng said:
Got the 1000/1000 when it first came out, just to prove that it could be done. I remember collecting the last Achievement, saving then turning it off and never, ever playing it again.

Getting the S Rank for Sonic's last mach speed section brought me to tears, as did one of Shadows stupid vehicle levels (Shitty speed boat) and THAT Silver fight smh.
i hope you can get treatment for your aspergers. as a condition it isn't treated seriously enough.

Anth0ny

Willy105 said:
I understand.

Sometimes something is good, but not particularly impressive, so you don't end up thinking a lot about it.

But a really bad thing will make you think, and get you attached to it in a way that really shouldn't be done.

Pretty much.

Varjet said:
I don't think that's it. You probably just have really bad taste :p

I think RobbieNick does a better job of describing what I was trying to say:

RobbieNick said:
The word is morbid curiosity. Actually, it may be a new definition "self-abusive appeal". It's the Dark Souls of Sonic games. It beats you into submission at every turn where winning a level or getting past an incredibly tough part feels like a huge accomplishment.

I felt like a god after beating the end of Crisis City.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mr Touchdown said:
Sonic Colours is worse than this?

06 broke your brain didn't it?
Sonic 2006 breaks everyone's brains at some point during the playthrough. Anth0ny is probably suffering from morbid curiosity or Stockholm Syndrome
I'm just playing with you, OP. I get it; I didn't think it was going to be even worse later on. :p
, and Pokecapn and co got so insane that they started singing songs in monotone like Rocketman.

In my case, The End of the World in Last Story broke me so that: a) I disliked the camera control so much that the game made me physically ill, b) I started taking Gravol so I could finish the game (!), c) I started humming the stage themes and making up lyrics to them, and d) my friend decided to take a swig every time I died or whenever a loading screen popped up, thus becoming so jolly and happy that he proclaimed that this last bit of Sonic 2006 was the best part.

Do note that the villain's plan in this game pretty much boils down to
making a young girl cry.

Regulus Tera said:
Why people play this game instead of watching Pokecapn's let's play is beyond me.
I didn't know it existed before I played it. :/

SykoTech

Only thing to appreciate about this game is that it got Sonic Team to (slowly but surely) wake up. A lot of horrible trends like friends and filler gameplay ended here, and Sonic's latest Anniversary celebration looks like the first great Sonic game on a console since....well, the Genesis days.

OMG Aero

RedSwirl said:
I still feel some kind of obligation to play this game, as a Sonic fan. Talk me out of it GAF.
At this point I think we should stop talking people out of it.
You want to have a shitty time? Go right ahead.

Mael

If you want to know what I see during my nightmares :
Dark Schala said:
This puzzle in Silver's Story, in particular, is awful.

34mOG.jpg

When I did that thread I was moving between flats so when my web access was killed I didn't feel like continuing and putting up hugeass posts about my progress....so I'm pretty much were I left...
That Train Sonic level is basically the worst thing my eyes ever saw and that my hands ever played.

What I like find interesting in this game is how it's complete surprise after complete surprises.
You're in a horrible level with Sonic and you never feel in control of anything....and then you change character and the Sonic passage in retrospect is like playing Mario Galaxy.
You're in a bad level with Silver and it seems a bit short?

34mOG.jpg

3 FUCKING HOURS LATER you can hope having passed that....if you're lucky.

If there's one game I'm confident knowing that there's enough content to fuel a full 4 years thesis, it's this game.

And despite all that I've had more fun laughing at this terribleness than slogging through Other M...(hey we're talking about bad games here).

OP, don't play this game it WILL break you.

There's nothing to save in that game but the awesome soundtrack, do the smart choice : get the soundtrack, trash the game.
edit :
Ozone said:
Radical Train.
This posts actually makes me want to puke literally.
That's how bad that level is.

SykoTech

RedSwirl said:
I still feel some kind of obligation to play this game, as a Sonic fan. Talk me out of it GAF.

Eh, I say just go ahead and play it. It's dirt cheap now and you'll probably be more entertained than fustrated by just how bad it is.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Regulus Tera said:
Why people play this game instead of watching Pokecapn's let's play is beyond me.
Like some twisted rite of remembrance I rewatch the lp in its entirety before the release of a new major Sonic game.

And another poor soul has fallen victim to the temptation of "seeing just how bad it can be".

Sonic 06 was the only game I had for my 360 for an entire month. Think about that. I spent so long saving to buy that system that I felt the need to wring every last drop of gameplay from the game to feel like it was worth the money. In the end I found that the way to cope with Sonic 06 is to stop looking at as you would a normal game. Instead of wondering how it wants you to progress, always think about how your action could potentially screw you over and what glitch you can abuse to prevent that happening.

Oh, and Radical Train. You'll understand those words soon enough.

Top Bottom