• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AwesomeSauce said:
Hey guys!

I had a long talk with Justin Richmond of ND (who was very awesome btw!) about the controls and other issues like the missing motion blur etc. Also met Arne who is also really cool. They couldn't be anymore welcoming. Its still hasn't hit me that I was there at their studio lol. Also met Amy Henning( felt surreal lol) and got her and Justin Richmond to sign my copies of the Uncharted series. My inner fanboy is happy ;-)

Anyway I'll talk more later, I'm chillin' with my buddy around Santa Monica right now.

And yeah they made me sign an NDA, but I'm sure I can talk about what I discussed with ND in regards to the aiming problem.
How do we know it's really you?

eshwaaz

arne said:
We had two folks in Awesomesauce and Cartridgeblower. Unfortunately, they made it out alive.

We think it was really fruitful. Stay tuned.
I know the sentiment has been stated ad nauseam at this point, but I'll throw it out there again anyway - hats off to you and the other Naughty Dogs, arne. This kind of direct interaction with your audience, and taking their concerns this seriously (especially when reviews and the lion's share of sales are already in) is really unprecedented. Much respect.

Truespeed

AwesomeSauce said:
And yeah they made me sign an NDA, but I'm sure I can talk about what I discussed with ND in regards to the aiming problem.

Did you cross your fingers when you signed the NDA? Under California law all contracts are null and void if signed when your fingers are crossed.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
AwesomeSauce said:
Hey guys!

I had a long talk with Justin Richmond of ND (who was very awesome btw!) about the controls and other issues like the missing motion blur etc. Also met Arne who is also really cool. They couldn't be anymore welcoming. Its still hasn't hit me that I was there at their studio lol. Also met Amy Henning( felt surreal lol) and got her and Justin Richmond to sign my copies of the Uncharted series. My inner fanboy is happy ;-)

Anyway I'll talk more later, I'm chillin' with my buddy around Santa Monica right now.

That's amazing!!, can't believe you met Amy Henning as well, totally jelly tbh.

(._.)

Banned
just wanted to say this was some true shyt you guys did. wish more developers were this true to their fans.

jett

D-Member
AwesomeSauce said:
Hey guys!

jealous-o-meter is at maximum

what did they about dat blur btw? is it coming back or it gone forever

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Naughty Dog put out an open invitation, and only TWO guys showed up?

Goddamit, I wish I could have gone. >_<;

Kifimbo

HaRyu said:
Naughty Dog put out an open invitation, and only TWO guys showed up?

Goddamit, I wish I could have gone. >_<;

It wasn't open. ND wanted one Gaffer, they ended up inviting two. Some were too late.

madmook

What kind of shit would they need an NDA for? We're talkin about fixing controls here, not PS4 development, eh?!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Kifimbo said:
It wasn't open. ND wanted one Gaffer, they ended up inviting two. Some were too late.

Ah, my mistake.

madmook said:
What kind of shit would they need an NDA for? We're talkin about fixing controls here, not PS4 development, eh?!

Scenario 1: Maybe while they were there, the ND guys said, "Hey, since you're already here, wanna see what we're working on next?"

Scenario 2: They have this really awesome Naughty Dog brownie recipe, and they don't want the world to know.

Hyuga

Banned
madmook said:
Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint1.jpg

Chiggs

I haven't opened the game yet because I've been too busy with the real GotY 2011, Arkham City. I hope by the time I place the disc into the PS3, the issue has been addressed.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
madmook said:
The other employees are most likely working on something that may not be public yet (ie. DLC maps). NDAs are a necessary precaution.

Also, UnKarted 4x4.

Chiggs said:
I haven't opened the game yet because I've been too busy with the real GotY 2011, Arkham City. I hope by the time I place the disc into the PS3, the issue has been addressed.

Batman doesn't touch this. And it has its own issues too

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
AwesomeSauce said:
Hey guys!

NDA? AH!

First time I went to Skywalker Ranch they had me phone in my car's model, color and license plate and who was going to be in the car with me!

madmook said:

Do you really think everyone else stopped working while the two guests were there? Or that they didn't have pre-production/in-production material (DLC?) on the planners while giving them a little toir of the studio or something? It's perfectly normal.

NDA
When I was at ILM they were working on a Frankenstein CGI movie that never materialised and a CGI version of the A.I. Artificial Intelligence kid! :O
/NDA

Anteater said:
You two are going to regret this

Nope! Elena looks absolutely amazing in this game - way better than she did in U2.

Plus, the more she looks like Emily, the better in my book.

Jocchan said:
The other employees are most likely working on something that may not be public yet (ie. DLC maps). NDAs are a necessary precaution.

Also, UnKarted 4x4.

I'd be so happy if this were true.

jett

D-Member
So are Awesomesauce and Cartridgeblower not gonna share anything from their meeting with ND regarding UC3's issues?

StuBurns said:
There's a thread on their boards isn't there?

I guess arne has his reasons.

Elixist

Jocchan said:

Also, UnKarted 4x4.

Win. Put the 2 ideas together and the title of the game is golden.

What up everyone. Didn't have time to come home and post my thoughts until now. We signed NDAs, but Arne just gave me the go ahead to post some thoughts, so here they are before the hypnotism pills they gave me wore off --

First off, the guys at ND were totally awesome and seemed to be fully genuine in wanting to get a fix together as soon as possible. I sat down and played with a couple tweaked versions of the new controls, and they were definitely more in line with the MP and UC2. They seem to have fixed much of the dead zone problems, and are adjusting the sensitivity so you can go even higher than what 100% is now. They were literally making changes ON THE FLY as we played, and asking us what we thought of them. They would tweak things like sticky radius, sensitivity, etc.

Also, they mentioned motion blur is definitely getting fixed for SP. Very cool. They mentioned more about a patch coming out very soon, but again, Arne has told me not to give anything more specific away.

All in all, I can say that while bringing Gaffers in might be a partial PR move, it didn't feel that way at all. From everything I could gather, they were genuine. I asked if they didn't notice the difference in control themselves, like many gaffers have been wondering, and they said they literally would sit employees down and give them different versions and they would not be able to tell. If the control code was messed up at some point, I don't know, but they are not taking these criticisms lightly at all.

Overall, it was super cool to see how things like this get adjusted and tweaked.

Arne, thanks a ton for being so cool, and thank Justin again if you see him on Monday!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
CartridgeBlower said:
What up everyone. Didn't have time to come home and post my thoughts until now. We signed NDAs, but Arne just gave me the go ahead to post some thoughts, so here they are before the hypnotism pills they gave me wore off --

First off, the guys at ND were totally awesome and seemed to be fully genuine in wanting to get a fix together as soon as possible. I sat down and played with a couple tweaked versions of the new controls, and they were definitely more in line with the MP and UC2. They seem to have fixed much of the dead zone problems, and are adjusting the sensitivity so you can go even higher than what 100% is now. They were literally making changes ON THE FLY as we played, and asking us what we thought of them. They would tweak things like sticky radius, sensitivity, etc.

Also, they mentioned motion blur is definitely getting fixed for SP. Very cool. They mentioned more about a patch coming out very soon, but again, Arne has told me not to give anything more specific away.

All in all, I can say that while bringing Gaffers in might be a partial PR move, it didn't feel that way at all. From everything I could gather, they were genuine. I asked if they didn't notice the difference in control themselves, like many gaffers have been wondering, and they said they literally would sit employees down and give them different versions and they would not be able to tell. If the control code was messed up at some point, I don't know, but they are not taking these criticisms lightly at all.

Overall, it was super cool to see how things like this get adjusted and tweaked.

Arne, thanks a ton for being so cool, and thank Justin again if you see him on Monday!
Thanks for the update, and awesome news. By dead zone problems you mean the cursor slowing down making small adjustments (ie. for headshots) hard?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
CartridgeBlower said:

That's too cool.

CartridgeBlower said:

Added to OP. Not sure if mods want to change the thread title (not sure to what exactly).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
CartridgeBlower said:

Sounds great.
Are they working on UnKarted?

jett

D-Member
CartridgeBlower said:

Awesome. So DAT BLUR is coming back, seems like those who waited got the better end of the deal.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Combichristoffersen said:
Are they working on UnKarted?
If not, they should. Arne, do it!

Major props to Naughty Dog for how they handled this.

Top Bottom