• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anno 2070 |OT| Time to Face the Future

H9Uzs.png

Yl8Ff.png
bf6MK.png
SULPf.png
1zmVU.png

Developer: Related Designs, Ubisoft Blue Byte
Publisher: Ubisoft
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X
Release dates: EU - 17 November 2011, NA - Q4 2011, OSX Q1 2012

LRUAl.png
FcloZ.png

Collector's Edition contains:
• Anno 2070 game
• Soundtrack
• Artbook
• Tech-tree poster
• Premium collector's box packaging

R9PCE.png

• A new era: while adhering to the fundamentals that made the Anno franchise a success, the near-future setting will bring numerous new gameplay mechanics, architectural breakthroughs, and all new challenges. Additionally, players will be able to build massive cities, the scope of which has never been seen in prior Anno games.
• A dynamic world: the world of Anno 2070 will evolve differently depending on each player's playing style and choices. Players' decisions will have an impact on the environment, the architectural look of their world, and the needs of their populations, leading them to refine and better understand the impact of their personal approaches to managing the world's resources.
• Factions: players will be able to select between two factions when building their empires. Players can choose between an industrial and efficient course by joining the Tycoons or a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly direction by siding with the Ecos.
• Rich and varied game modes:
o Single player campaign: a story-driven single player mode with a deep variety of challenges.
o Single player "continuous mode": the renowned endless game mode where the objective is to build the biggest civilization possible without time constraints.
o Multiplayer and Online features: Anno 2070 will include innovative online modes offering players brand new possibilities to get in touch with gamers all around the world.
• Outstanding graphics: A new version of the game engine, developed specifically by Related Designs for Anno 2070, allows the game to deliver a breathtaking visual experience never before seen in the Anno franchise.

Bf1ms.png

Minimal PC configuration to play:
• CPU: Intel DualCore 2Ghz or equivalent
• RAM: 2 GB
• GPU: 512 MB, DirectX® 9.0c compatible with Shader 3.0
• Minimum disc space: 5 GB
• DVD-ROM: Only needed for installation
• Soundcard: DirectX® 9.0c compatible
• DirectX®: Version 9.0c
• Input Devices: Mouse, Keyboard

Recommended requirements:
• CPU: Intel Core2 Quad or equivalent
• RAM: 4 GB
• GPU: 1 GB, DirectX® 9.0c compatible with Shader 3.0
• Minimum disc space: 5 GB
• DVD-ROM: Only needed for installation
• Soundcard: DirectX® 9.0c compatible
• DirectX®: Version 9.0c
• Input Devices: Mouse, Keyboard

TnwzY.png

X6XIn.png

Q: Is this Ubisoft title also protected by a rigorous and anti-consumer DRM?
A: Anno 2070 requires a one-time activation on install. There is no “always on” DRM.

Q: Is there a demo?
A: Yes, you can download it here, or here.

Q: From which digital distributers can I order this game?
A: All listed stores have the Sea Leopard pre-order bonus (ability to give all commando ships a special look). The UbiShop have an additional pre-order bonus, the Biosphere Generator (Special ark item. Attracts all kinds of marine life).

Steam - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe
GreenManGaming - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe
GamersGate - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe
UbiShop - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe
Direct2Drive - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe
GetGamesGo - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe
Gamestop - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe
Gamestop Impulse - Regular Edition | Digital Deluxe

Q: So like, I need help with that thing, you know?
A: This wiki might help you with that.​

MpLXA.png

Metacritic - Metascore 87 | User score 8.3

Destructoid Preview said:
Destructoid Review said:
Gameplanet said:

NeoGAF User said:
[This could be you! Apply today.]

If you're missing anything from the OP, please let me know.

Meier

Looks beautiful. I'm kind of perplexed why this isn't on Steam though.. can we expect that to change at a later date?

It's also available for most of the world on D2D UK - http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/11686/product/Buy-Anno-2070-Download

I'm surprised it isn't available on Steam though. Although I guess after the whole Anno 1404 fiasco, there's some tension between Valve and the devs/publisher. Either way, I'm really looking forward to the game. Anno is one of those series where you aren't rushed into anything and you can really lose yourself in the experience... lovely graphics and music and the settings.

COULD THAT OT BE ANY MORE BLOA-...oh!

No, seriously, great work. Fantastic game by the demo, so looking forward to nabbing the full version at some point. Really enjoy the personality that filters through in the Anno games, especially 1404 and at least from those two Industrialist missions in 2070.

Can't wait to read some impressions from the GAF Anno-heads.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Meier said:
Looks beautiful. I'm kind of perplexed why this isn't on Steam though.. can we expect that to change at a later date?

new Steam TOS. that means unlikely

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Joseph Merrick said:
time to play some anno1404 again. noticed yesterday settlers7 is cheap on gamersgate now btw. really awesome dlc for that. http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=settlers 7 for some moronic reason dlc3 isn't included in the cheap, which is the only one I'm missing. of course.
does it still require constant internet to keep it from breaking down and having a panic attack?

ctrayne

Any reason this isn't on Amazon.com? I will happily go digital or import, but it would be nice to grab it locally.

Can I ask what the 1404 Steam fiasco was? I noticed the game is listed there but not for sale? What did Ubi do (this time)?

Kabouter

Have Anno 2070 pre-ordered, shame it isn't on Steam, but I can deal with that. I really enjoyed the demo a lot, and I'm looking forward to checking out all the new gameplay elements that they added. The only thing I didn't like, and this I pretty much expected from the start, was that it's just not as fun to look around in the world. It's not as fun seeing a machine spray some rice paddies as it is to see a farmer harvest his crops was in previous Anno games. Maybe it's better if you play with the eco-guys instead of the Captain Planet villains. I can live with it either way though, gameplay more than makes up for it.

Nice OP by the way!

ctrayne said:
Any reason this isn't on Amazon.com? I will happily go digital or import, but it would be nice to grab it locally.

Can I ask what the 1404 Steam fiasco was? I noticed the game is listed there but not for sale? What did Ubi do (this time)?
something to do with the patching, I think. they didn't patch the steam version or something.

ctrayne said:
The exact North American release date is yet to be announced. All we know for now is Q4, 2011.
ctrayne said:
It took Ubisoft several months to patch the Steam version.

ctrayne said:

Something related to the latest patches for the game. Either UBI didn't patch the game on Steam or the patch they gave was broken/incompatible and they didn't fix it. Valve yanked the game from Steam.

Kabouter said:
Have Anno 2070 pre-ordered, shame it isn't on Steam, but I can deal with that. I really enjoyed the demo a lot, and I'm looking forward to checking out all the new gameplay elements that they added. The only thing I didn't like, and this I pretty much expected from the start, was that it's just not as fun to look around in the world. It's not as fun seeing a machine spray some rice paddies as it is to see a farmer harvest his crops was in previous Anno games. Maybe it's better if you play with the eco-guys instead of the Captain Planet villains. I can live with it either way though, gameplay more than makes up for it.

Nice OP by the way!

Actually, funny you should mention that, because those articulated dusting/spraying boom systems in the paddies were a highlight for me early in the demo. I dunno, I love the basalt crusher arm/grinder coring around in its hole...the walking dragline scraping away at the coalface...

I love 1404 for the same reasons - the minutiae, but I'm a sucker for these cute little speculative fiction/near future designs and animations.

Kabouter

Pylon_Trooper said:
Actually, funny you should mention that, because those articulated dusting/spraying boom systems in the paddies were a highlight for me early in the demo. I dunno, I love the basalt crusher arm/grinder coring around in its hole...the walking dragline scraping away at the coalface...

I love 1404 for the same reasons - the minutiae, but I'm a sucker for these cute little speculative fiction/near future designs and animations.
Well, I should make clear that it's still better than most games of this sort. Related Designs understands that it's all the tiny little details and animations that make a game world come alive. I guess it's just preference in setting too anyway. Then again, there isn't much they could've done with a similar setting that they didn't in 1404/1701, so it's good they're trying something new, and I hope it works for them.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Should that read "tech-tree poster" rather than "tree of technology poster"?
That's probably a better translation. It seems like Ubisoft used Google Translate for their English site. I even had to remove a few 'mit' from the system requirements section.

Ikabu

Neo Member
Played the faecal matter out of 1404, but have been unable to download the demo due to my rubbish university internet. Not quite sure how the futuristic aspect will work - part of my love for 1404 is its medieval charm - and not sure about the two eco factions. But still will definitely need to buy this some once I find some way to get some money.

Anyone here rich and need a kidney, by the way?

Kabouter said:
Well, I should make clear that it's still better than most games of this sort. Related Designs understands that it's all the tiny little details and animations that make a game world come alive. I guess it's just preference in setting too anyway. Then again, there isn't much they could've done with a similar setting that they didn't in 1404/1701, so it's good they're trying something new, and I hope it works for them.

Agreed. Although it IS hard to beat that little maid crushing fruit in the oak barrel in 1404.

KaYotiX

Banned
ALways meant to play these game but never found the time, maybe this will be the one i get into. The demos have always made me want to get them.

Ryan_

I wonder if this one will have the same addicting vibe to it as Anno 1404.

I played the demo but I still don't know.

Due to lack of money I won't get this on day one, but I still wanted to say that I bought my current sexy beast of a PC just because this game was announced.

Here's hope that it comes to Steam.

I wish it looked nice on my laptop. The demo looked and ran like dogshit for me, which is disappointing because Anno whatevernumberthelastonewas ran decent enough and looked very nice.

Wasn't so keen on that annoying AI voice in the demo mind.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
snoopeasystreet said:
They should really put this and 1404 on steam. It seems like they're leaving money on the table.

1404 was on Steam but Ubisoft didn't want to put the miniscule amount of effort necessary to make the latest patch work with the steam version (and as such fix a save game corruption bug) so Steam told them to go fuck themselves and pulled the game.

xgb1a2ok4l.gif

So many good games coming out but this is probably the one I am looking forward to the most, miss this genre or well good games in the genre.

Zzoram

Is there unlimited or at least a really high number for re-activation upon reinstalling?

I never bought the other Anno because it had like 3 re-installs maximum.

I'll probably pick this up when it's on Steam and ~$25.

Ryan_ said:
I wonder if this one will have the same addicting vibe to it as Anno 1404.

I played the demo but I still don't know.

Demos always feel so restrictive when it comes to titles that revel in the sprawl. I dunno, I think it'll be just as good.

ctrayne

Kabouter said:
Then again, there isn't much they could've done with a similar setting that they didn't in 1404/1701, so it's good they're trying something new, and I hope it works for them.
Yeah, they've done quite a few games in the old time periods. It's cool to see something new and I applaud the effort. I enjoyed the demo.

I'd love to see an industrial era Anno, though. :)

Zzoram said:
I never bought the other Anno because it had like 3 re-installs maximum..
Are you talking about Anno 1404? I imported the UK disc version and I haven't noticed any DRM whatsoever. I don't even need the disc in. Did I miss something?

Just got done with the demo. Damn, wanted more.

Looks great, hints at all the new resources and stuff. Loving the concept and it's still got that Anno 1404 feel, so I felt right at home pretty quickly.

Bring it on..

TheExodu5

Banned
Sinatar said:
1404 was on Steam but Ubisoft didn't want to put the miniscule amount of effort necessary to make the latest patch work with the steam version (and as such fix a save game corruption bug) so Steam told them to go fuck themselves and pulled the game.

It really was ridiculous. I had to end up rebuying the game for me and my friends off Impulse (thankfully, for $7 during a sale) to have it work properly.

I haven't tried the demo for this one yet...but, I really don't know about the visuals this time around. What's with the ugly bloom? Anno 1404 is looking a fair bit better to me.

example:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/542900342936628601/1ED06AEC9DD01F8FA2F8B5E1EE0B36C63B1D0876/

Top Bottom