• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TellTale Damages the Jeep of Something Awful's Boomerjinks

FatalT

Banned
EDIT 2: Boomerjinks has had a website set up for the construction and life of his Jurassic Park jeep. He now has an insert about this incident on it.

You can go now here for a consolidated place with all the news and info regarding TellTale damaging the Jurassic Park jeep:

http://www.jurassicjeep.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3314547&pagenumber=29#post397521437

Boomerjinks posted:

FUN STORY!

Earlier this summer TellTale Games was all like, "Hey we want to use your jeep to promote this Jurassic Park video game at PAX in Seattle."

Last year they used a friends DeLorean at PAX, covering all costs and in addition to paying an amount that I won't disclose here. So I was all like "That sounds terrific! If you provide enclosed, insured shipping both ways, airfare, badges for the con, hotel, and per diem then you've got yourself a deal!"

So they booked transport for my Jeep and we were on our way.

The morning of the pickup I walked aaaaaaall the way around my Jeep and took quite a few pictures of the condition I gave it to them in. Like these:

pgq89l.jpg

8SkbCl.jpg

Then I was off to meet the enclosed transport! Except the transport showed up and was not enclosed! I could have been a dick and said, "No dice, friends" and not given them the Jeep. But unfortunately I'm not a dick.

The Jeep goes on it's way and I fly out a week later. The Jeep was delivered that morning and signed for by one TellTale's employees, a self-professed "person who doesn't know anything about cars and in fact does not even own a car!"

Here's what I saw during my walkaround.

9erp1l.jpg

zbc4fl.jpg

DH63dl.jpg

Op4fXl.jpg

gqadPl.jpg

After the walkaround, and before the convention, I talk to the guys at TellTale. I tell them, "Look I could be "that guy" and throw a fit, threatening to take my Jeep out of here tonight unless you cut me a check right now, but I know this is a huge fucking weekend for you guys, that you need to promote your game and you've gone a ton of shit to worry about. So, we can but this on a back burner until the expo is over, but I'd like your word that you'll take care of this immediately afterwards." They were pretty appreciative, and even though I received no per diem or additional badges, I decided to not be a dick about things.

Then the Jeep came home, I didn't hear from TellTale. A week later I reached out to them, and it was a few more days before they got back to me, telling me that I'd have to file a claim with the auto transport company (Advance Car Carrier Corp.). I told them that I did not arrange for the transportation, and that I should not have to be the middleman. They insist that they are not responsible for the damage in any way, and that only the car owner can file a claim.

So I send all my claim information (scanned receipts and delivery invoices, before and after photos) to the car carrier, and they reply with:

Advance Car Carrier Corp. said:
We have completed our assessment of the above loss and have determined that this is not car carrier damage. After carefully reviewing the damage pictures that you have sent to us, we found that all the damages was noted on the Bill of Lading before transporting your vehicle. Also please note that vehicle was inspected in rain and possible that not all the damages were visible. For that reason the box, where it says that vehicle going ASIS was marked.

Enclosed with this letter is a copy of the Bill of Lading signed by "Serge" on August 30, 2011 in where was noted that vehicle had pre-existing damages before transporting from WA to CO.

We have completed our assessment of the above loss and have determined that this is not car carrier damage. After carefully reviewing the damage pictures that you have sent to us, we found that all the damages was noted on the Bill of Lading before transporting your vehicle. Also please note that vehicle was inspected in rain and possible that not all the damages were visible. For that reason the box, where it says that vehicle going ASIS was marked.

Enclosed with this letter is a copy of the Bill of Lading signed by "Serge" on August 30, 2011 in where was noted that vehicle had pre-existing damages before transporting from WA to CO.

Now, the damage was done on the way TO Seattle, not FROM. And here's a photo of it "raining" while they loaded up my Jeep. Boy it sure is hard to see stuff with all that rain!

So TellTale hired the sketchiest-possible carrier company, and then one of TellTale's employees(who admitted she doesn't know the first thing about cars) signed the bill of lading upon delivery without inspecting the Jeep for damage, thereby releasing the car carrier from responsibility.

I'm disputing their decision, but I have the sinking feeling that I am going to be one of those cases that is just ignored until I go away. Bullshit man.

I guess my lesson is "next time get stuff in writing and be a big dick."

When a car is delivered by a carrier, you have to sign a "Bill of Lading" which basically is an acceptance of the car in the condition it is delivered. If you sign the bill of lading, you've accepted the car.

I pushed for TellTale to wait until I was present to load the Jeep, but they insisted that they would be capable of receiving the car.

I was told I would get an enclosed transport, so I brought the weather cover to protect the interior of the jeep from oil dripping from whatever car is above it. I hounded the car carrier employees about whether or not it would be okay to transport the Jeep with it's weather top on. The car carrier said the cover was fine and that they check they cargo regularly. It appears that the damage happened from a strap or chain that must have come loose on the trip to Seattle, and smacked the side of the car for 2,000 miles.

When the Jeep arrived, the TellTale employees were supposed to inspect the Jeep for damage before signing for it. Apparently they did not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What can Boomerjinks do in this situation? I believe TellTale should be responsible for paying for all the damages caused to his jeep, regardless of whether or not it happened during the transport. He could have caused an issue with them and not let them use the jeep during PAX but he chose to be a nice person...then he got screwed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Boomerjinks has sent me higher resolution pictures of the original two he took of his jeep before he had it transported!

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/Jurassic Park Jeep/JPJeepLeft.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/Jurassic Park Jeep/jpjeepright.jpg

markot

Banned
He realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly took photos of it just before?

Also low rez wide shots v higher rez close ups is hmmmmmmmmmm?! Everything looks good zoomed out.

At this point the best he can do is spread the word and guilt TellTale into taking responsibility. Aside form outright suing the company for...something (I'm sure there's a case to be made) there's not much he can do

Heysoos

markot said:

Also low rez wide shots v higher rez close ups is hmmmmmmmmmm?! Everything looks good zoomed out.

You wouldn't take pictures of what appears to be your expensive car before lending it out? lllllllllllllllllolllllllllllllllllllll

markot said:

Also low rez wide shots v higher rez close ups is hmmmmmmmmmm?!

I would.

Hell, I take photos for insurance purposes on a regular god damn basis, and I own nothing of this sort. Lending a unique collector's item to another company for an enthusiast show is the exact sort of thing you take reference photos for.

And you can see in these "low rez wide shots" that the damage shown here isn't present.

Zomba13

markot said:

um... who wouldn't?

If I was letting a company borrow my quite possibly expensive vehicle (or anything for that matter) for a promo event I'd sure as hell make sure to have pictures etc of exactly how it looked before I let them have it.

Bento

markot said:

Why wouldn't he? :S

pj

Banned
markot said:

It's pretty easy to tell even from the zoomed out "before" pictures that at the very least the damage to the sides is new.

What reason would this person have to try and scam a couple thousand bucks from a small game developer?

markot said:

Good God, reading this gave me a headache. Formatting, how does it work?!

Not that this justifies the conduct, but the mistake was lending it out in the first place if it was something the person really cares about. Dealing with claims with any company after the fact on something like this is always going to be a massive clusterfuck.

bubnbob

Banned
markot said:

Somebody doesn't own a car~

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
markot said:

Are you one of those people who sells something on eBay and sends the item out before the buyer has paid?

markot said:

if i had a jurassic park jeep i would take pictures of it every day like it was my newborn child

and yeah probably before lending it to another party

Boomerjinks is a generous man but he isn't stupid (well not in this case) - anyone can and should know to take pictures of your vehicle before a stranger borrows it.

Pay up TellTale.

Mechazawa

markot said:

If you went through the trouble of owning a Jurassic Park themed Jeep, you're damn right you're going to take pictures of that thing before handing it off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EmCeeGramr said:
if i had a jurassic park jeep i would take pictures of it every day like it was my newborn child

and yeah probably before lending it to another party
If I had a jurassic park jeep, I wouldn't lend it to another party.

I don't care if Burt Reynolds himself wants to borrow my god damn Firebird '77. Not happening.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
markot said:

He probably took the time to get the right exposure on those pics and took the film to a photo place for prints. What a waste of time. Definitely fake.

Just wondering, was this Jeep from the movie or just one that he painted to look like that?

He should consider suing Telltale or bringing them to small claims court.

saunderez

LordPanda said:
Just take TT to court.
Yup certainly what I'd be doing. They should be going out of their way getting this mess sorted out and it sounds like they don't give a crap. There's only one way to make them.

Chiggs

The Jeep brand is seriously one of the biggest pieces of shit to grace the roads. Unreliable hunks of trash in so many areas. Telltale should just cut him the check for $500.00 and be done with it.

markot

Banned
But if you were taking photos, youd want them to be clear >.< if you cant see in detail in the 'before shots' then how does an appraiser know that they are new?

The fact is, most of that damage looks like normal wear and tear imo. Was the car in perfect condition? hard to tell from the photos with such a low resolution.

And yeah, he should go after telltale, since they organized it all and seemed to ass him around abit. Also, was there a contract between the two? I assume there would have been. An angry letter from a lawyer should be enough to get em to pay, and to avoid bad publicity before launch!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm pretty sure he has the pics in original resolution. Unless he was taking photos with his 3DS.

pj

Banned
markot said:
But if you were taking photos, youd want them to be clear >.< if you cant see in detail in the 'before shots' then how does an appraiser know that they are new?

Do you really think he took pictures with a 640x480 camera? Obviously they were resized for internet purposes.

Think for like two seconds, jesus

markot

Banned
pj said:
Do you really think he took pictures with a 640x480 camera? Obviously they were resized for internet purposes.

Think for like two seconds, jesus
Well excuuuuuuuse me princess!

But why can I have access to the high resolution damage and low resolution 'before' shots?! Im not professor CSI with a computer that can 'enhance' to infinty dpi!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
markot said:
I also do this before renting a car so they don't try pulling shit saying I caused any damage that the car already has.

Heysoos

markot said:

The fact is, most of that damage looks like normal wear and tear imo. Was the car in perfect condition? hard to tell from the photos with such a low resolution.

He has the full original full resolution pictures still. Not only that, but he only uploaded some choice shots to show to us, he took more than just those.

markot said:

But why can I have access to the high resolution damage and low resolution 'before' shots?! Im not professor CSI with a computer that can 'enhance' to infinty dpi!

Please be joking.

Chiggs said:
The Jeep brand is seriously one of the biggest pieces of shit to grace the roads. Unreliable hunks of trash in so many areas. Telltale should just cut him the check for $500.00 and be done with it.
But if it wasn't a Jeep then it couldn't be a Jurassic Park Jeep. Unless he wanted a Jurassic Park Ford Explorer, and that'd just be embarrassing.

markot said:

*sigh* Look at the chipping in this image:

gqadPl.jpg

It can not be seen in any of the first two provided pictures. These chipping are big enough to be seen even for a photo of that size.

There is no conspiracy here.

It's wear and tear, and Telltale should pay for it. Simple as that.

Chiggs

EmCeeGramr said:
But if it wasn't a Jeep then it couldn't be a Jurassic Park Jeep. Unless he wanted a Jurassic Park Ford Explorer, and that'd just be embarrassing.

They should have used Hummer H1s for Jurassic Park. Way to go, Spielberg!

markot

Banned
Well, he should get it fixed, it doesnt look like it would cost alot, then send the bill with an angry letter promosing legal action with a deadline to Telltale unless the matter is resolved. And then tell them you will be any help in recouping the costs from the carrier company, but his deal was with telltale, not them.

FatalT

Banned
markot said:
Well, he should get it fixed, it doesnt look like it would cost alot, then send the bill with an angry letter promosing legal action with a deadline to Telltale unless the matter is resolved. And then tell them you will be any help in recouping the costs from the carrier company, but his deal was with telltale, not them.

Boomerjinks said:
Progressive estimator thinks it will cost less than $2000 will fix all the damage to the done to the Jeep during the PAX trip. Thank god I still have my original paint cans for color-matching, however it comes out will be far less-fucked than if the paint shop has to guess.

$2,000 is a lot to me!

Top Bottom