• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ikuu said:
Looks like Dota2-GAF has been introduced to getting Sanjay'd.

Get a Vanguard and Radiance on Omni when the other team has primarily magic damage. GGGGGGGGGGGG

Bento

How do you make it so that auto-join the NeoGAF channel on start up? A Google search makes me look for an autoexec.cfg which I simply can't find. Anyone have a clue?

EDIT2: Found how to access the console and used the chat_join NeoGaf there but it isn't automatically making me join the channel on start up. Sure typing it in every time isn't that much of a hassle but would like to know if there's a way to make it hassle free :p

x3r0123

Bento said:
How do you make it so that auto-join the NeoGAF channel on start up? A Google search makes me look for an autoexec.cfg which I simply can't find. Anyone have a clue?

EDIT2: Found how to access the console and used the chat_join NeoGaf there but it isn't automatically making me join the channel on start up. Sure typing it in every time isn't that much of a hassle but would like to know if there's a way to make it hassle free :p

NeoGAF not NeoGaf

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Simply put a file called autoexec.cfg in your cfg folder in the dota folder (Which is in common for some reason)

Sanjay

Archie said:
Get a Vanguard and Radiance on Omni when the other team has primarily magic damage. GGGGGGGGGGGG

So where was your BKB. Oh wait. GGGGGGGGGGG.

But when in doubt, blame me.

Artanisix said:
dang yuber why so easy man, 2-0 in favor of me

Best out of 5.

Artanisix

TUUbV.png

stay free yuber

Uchip

Banned
heh
there seems to be just as many griefers in the dota2 beta that there are in HoN
valve were cool enough to include a mute feature <3

Swag

Nabs said:
they hang out in the hon room
That's cause we're still HoN-Gaf ;P

Also Furion is such a ridiculous hero once you get him started, if you don't get pressured in the jungle you can easily hit 500+ GPM before a single base tower falls.

Cheeto

shagg_187 said:
Alright boys... moment of truth!

New, Familiar or Experienced?

I am very familiar with DOTA but I've always sucked at it... :/
I did familiar and I've never played dota before... and I'm doing fine so far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have seen the light and it is Arta's Pudge.

Puppet you better back up that trashtalking with results.

Swag

That game, needs some backstory.

We were down 3-10, I was level 2 as Drow when Slardar was 7 because of a Slardar Vengeful Spirit Sand King Tri-Lane, Slardar had an 8 minute Blink Dagger, Mid was under constant gank pressure, and Furion was forced to go into enemy jungle due to fear of gank.

Milkman pulled us out of the dumpster with big hooks, and we had some amazing team play, with early silence Drow build and good Ancient Apparition ults / Cold Feet stuns, combined with Kunkka Torrent's.

Funnest game that I've played in a while.

Hylian7

What is this that people are saying about an input delay in this game? I haven't felt it at all, and it feels just as responsive, if not better than Heroes of Newerth.

CreativeSK

Neo Member
Hylian7 said:
What is this that people are saying about an input delay in this game? I haven't felt it at all, and it feels just as responsive, if not better than Heroes of Newerth.

See for yourself. Latency test.

i only felt it the first couple of games though. i have to admit feels pretty good now.

Five really good games today. Lich, Tidehunter, Tidehunter, Dazzle, and Lich.

25 wins, 19 losses.

BOSS.

GhostRidah said:
You do know that was before the input delay patch?

Works fine now for me
There are still people complaining about it on the dev forums. Seems fine to me, though.

CreativeSK

Neo Member
GhostRidah said:
You do know that was before the input delay patch?

Works fine now for me

oh it seems much better already. still feeling it though. i'm not saying it's a bad lag. i'm totally fine with it too. Just saying if you go back to wc3 dota you'll see what I'm talking about. very minimal differece though.

MrKnives

In a day I switch multiple time from Dota to Dota 2 and you can notice the difference. It's not as bad as it was though. I guess it's a little bit like going from BW latency to SC2 latency. It was a big deal until you played it for a few days/weeks and then it was the new norm.
I doubt it will bother me in the long run.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got a string of 6 wins tonight, making my Win:Loss ratio 1:1.

So, does any one have plans on how we will handle the in house league with Dota 2 once we get enough people? I know HoN changed from some sort of team based thing to trying to rank each individual person between the two "Seasons" of their

If we can get enough people, I would love to actually try and set up a bunch of 5-8 man teams, and simply have them face each other every few days, throw some tournament from some token prize every few months ("A Copy Dirt 3 for each winner!"), and try to have "exhibitions" between people from GAF and maybe other websites (Something Awful and Reddit come to mind).

Maybe try to have each team face each other 5 to 10 times, and use the results from those games to try and seed a tournament of sorts.

Though with that many games, the number for each team to play could quickly get to a huge number of games. At even say 8 teams having to play 5 matches between each team, you would end up with 35 games per team.

Swag

The reason we changed from Teams to Tiered on the fly setup, is because when we ran Season 1 of the In House League we would have times where we couldn't play games because not enough people from a single team were present to fill the game, the tiered system got rid of this problem because games could be made regardless of who was online.

However we should do some HoN-Gaf vs League Gaf games sometime soon :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What I want to see is how the rest of TF2 Gaf does at the game.

I really think a Team Based system would be best, but coordination would be difficult though. It really depends on the number of people actively playing, though form the looks of the Dota 2 Key topic, that may not be such a huge issue. You would need at least 50 people to make a Team Based system work. If you actually have teams, you can work on strategy at a bit of a higher level, and it would be so much more fulfilling as a play experience.

You would just need to have the balls to call a game a forfeit if one team couldn't make it (Or to play it out if it was 5 v 4 or something, and hope for the best), and maybe even kick a team out of an "official" ladder if they miss to many games. You would just need to figure out some way to determine who Won, and give rankings (Though simply counting up the number of Wins to Looses may do for that).

Also, just how the matches would be done. I think 1 a week may be a bit low, so 2 or 3 games a week would likely work best. Maybe just give each team 2 or 3 other teams to play a game against in a one week time, and have them work out when. Have the list drawn up for two or three weeks in advance, to give people more time to coordinate and such. Do 12 to 16 weeks per ladder, and do a little tournament.

One fragment of an idea I can't get out of my head is trying to challenge other websites and communities, and maybe trying to set up some matches or tournaments with them.

Swag

Oh sorry I didn't make myself clear, I'm not saying a team system is bad, just that you need a lot of active people to make it work, which we didn't have at the time, it works extremely well if you have the numbers.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I know, I am just 'thinking out loud' here a bit. I think the game has a good chance of getting a fairly large Gaf player base, and was wondering if anyone had some ideas of how to try and managed the community to try and add a layer of depth.

I was hoping some people from other games like HoN and Starcraft would be able to share how their community things have gone, pitfalls they have run into, suggestions. I just would love to see gaf to really make a little in house sport of the game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The tiered list is a much better way of doing a league (pretty sure it's the way most IHL do things) than trying to get teams going, trying to balance a whole bunch of teams is much harder than a captain drafting.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Do the team have to be balanced? Rather then the teams made on the spot or anything, I was thinking that people would make the teams them selves and. I just figured most people tend to play with the same few people primarily, have "Go to teammates" and all.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You'll end up with like a Loki/Thor team and everyone will get super salty that certain teams are crushing everyone.

SamVimes

Is there any way to check your ping during a game? Also i noticed that some guys are able to ping on the map but i can't find the key on the controls screen, how do you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom