• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Red

Emulation is not perfect, it's the price you pay for having better graphics catering games to a system not natively setup for them... there will always be problems even if you have super powerful hardware

In some games, sure. Many work without issue, or with minor enough bugs that the advantages far outweigh any potential problems.

I'm updating my SS album with images up to and around dungeon 4. Spoilers abound.

Scarecrow

Really tempted to Dolphin up Skyward Sword. I haven't used Dolphin before, but how long would it take to get it up and running to play games? Playing on a tv feels so blurry right now with the wii.

Varna

Really tempted to Dolphin up Skyward Sword. I haven't used Dolphin before, but how long would it take to get it up and running to play games? Playing on a tv feels so blurry right now with the wii.

About two minutes. Assuming you already have the game ripped of course.

Peterthumpa

With the correct hardware, dumped ISO and correct settings? 2 minutes.
EDIT - lol, beaten.

Caelus

Something weird, putting 4x AA on TWW actually made it go faster... went from 73% average to about 85% to 90%. Worked consistently. By the way, what else should I disable?

Scarecrow

Bluetooth adapters cost almost nothing. What's to stop you from getting one?

Never dicked around with a BT device before. I'm checking out this list from the OP, but there's a ton of choices. Can anyone recommend a dependable, fairly cheap one and where to get it (say, a quick trip to Target/Walmart sort of dealie)?

Also, thanks for the help.

Jtrizzy

Wanted to ask for some advice here. I recently built a high end pc (2600k/580) and would love to get dolphin going. Problem is, I sold my Wii and games about 6 months ago. The games just looked terrible on my 50" plasma, even with the component cables. Also, I really didn't like waggle, especially with DKCR.

The only games I owned for the system are the ones I want to play with Dolphin...DKCR, and the Mario Galaxy games. I am fervently against piracy, but I'm wondering if there is a way I can do it with without re buying a wii, and games. Again, I am all about devs getting their money etc, I don't buy used and would never play a game that I didn't own. I even have pics playing DKCR on the plasma, so please don't say I'm trying to do anything illegal.

WiiU is still a year away right? I am dying to play these games, I just couldn't get through them with SD/waggle. My understanding is that you can play DKCR and MG with a 360 controller...but I think my mobo has a blutooth adapter anyway.

Wanted to ask for some advice here. I recently built a high end pc (2600k/580) and would love to get dolphin going. Problem is, I sold my Wii and games about 6 months ago. The games just looked terrible on my 50" plasma, even with the component cables. Also, I really didn't like waggle, especially with DKCR.

The only games I owned for the system are the ones I want to play with Dolphin...DKCR, and the Mario Galaxy games. I am fervently against piracy, but I'm wondering if there is a way I can do it with without re buying a wii, and games. Again, I am all about devs getting their money etc, I don't buy used and would never play a game that I didn't own. I even have pics playing DKCR on the plasma, so please don't say I'm trying to do anything illegal.

Well if you don't own the games then it is illegal and would be considered piracy... no way around that.

domlolz

Banned
I owned the games within the last 6 months, I guess you have to have them in your possession currently?

Yes you do, to rip them. I'd end the discussion here though, you'll end up getting banned.

e:even ripping the games is probably against some law, if breaking the law ain't your thing.

So running in bootcamp how well can my iMac handle this or at all?

3.4 Ghz i7 quad core
8GB 1333 ram
AMD 2 GB 6970m

Never had any interest until I saw skyward sword pics. Holy hell. The Wii could look amazing if it only had enough horsepower to run in higher res.

I don't think this is possible. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. I played with the swings mapped to a 360 controller's right analog stick for about half the game. But "swinging" in TP is just replacing a button press. It is literally doing the same thing as an input. There are no "different swings," there's just Link's regular sword slash, like in any 3D Zelda.
Let' see crunched:

I played Twilight Princess at launch so i might be recalling it wrong, but it was possible to change the directions of the sword swings by shaking the remote and pressing the thumbstick in different directions.

I'll ilustrate with an example. To make Link slash horizontally from left to right, the user shakes the controller while holding right on the thumbstick. So im asking if anyone has managed to map that input combination to a Wii remote gesture. Like say for the past example (the left to right horizontal swing) move the Wii remote from left to right. Or for a vertical slice moving the Wii remote up/down and down/up.

Think its a bit more clear what i was asking later :)

jediyoshi

Let' see crunched:

I played Twilight Princess at launch so i might be recalling it wrong, but it was possible to change the directions of the sword swings by shaking the remote and pressing the thumbstick in different directions.

I'll ilustrate with an example. To make Link slash horizontally from left to right, the user shakes the controller while holding right on the thumbstick. So im asking if anyone has managed to map that input combination to a Wii remote gesture. Like say for the past example (the left to right horizontal swing) move the Wii remote from left to right. Or for a vertical slice moving the Wii remote up/down and down/up.

Nope. You have the regular attack, jump slash, and spin attack. They couldn't have had any unique controls be relevant either way since the GameCube version is mostly gameplay identical.

Schlomo

Nope. You have the regular attack, jump slash, and spin attack. They couldn't have had any unique controls be relevant either way since the GameCube version is mostly gameplay identical.

There's not just the regular attack. Even in OoT you could do vertical and horizontal swings, and stabs. It just didn't have any really impact except for attack range.

Tried out the MH3 demo again. It still has the old bloom glitch, but I can live with it.

Intel i3-2100
Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme
Gskill 8GB DDR3 1600

Running fullspeed on 2.5x scaling with 4x AA and some AF setting I forgot.

mh3eyfqr.jpg

Beats

Tried out the MH3 demo again. It still has the old bloom glitch, but I can live with it.

Intel i3-2100
Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme
Gskill 8GB DDR3 1600

Running fullspeed on 2.5x scaling with 4x AA and some AF setting I forgot.

mh3eyfqr.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can get rid of the bloom or whatever that is. The shots I posted earlier don't look like that. (link)

Is the bloom glitch only for the demo build?

Is there some sort of specific setting for the latest version that fixes bloom? I'm too lazy to rip the full game right now but before I upgraded, I remember the demo and full version had the bloom issue. I checked out the Dolphin wiki and it still mentions it.

Vinlaen

Is it possible to run Super Mario Galaxy at 60 fps @ 1080p?

Here's my hardware:

i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz
nVidia GTX 480 (x2) [SLI]
8 GB RAM
Win7 x64

As you can see, it's a fairly strong system but Super Mario Galaxy running at 1080p is giving me slowdowns. For example, on the very first galaxy (not the intro scenes, but the first galaxy you go to yourself) it varies from 35 - 60 fps.

Is this normal? I'm not complaining but I just want to make sure I don't have anything configured incorrectly causing the slowdown...

(I'm running the latest revision from Git as of about a week ago...)

Paracelsus

That sort of stuttering effect when suddenly rotating the camera in Xenoblade is normal, isn't it? Framerate tells me it's still 29-30.

Bit-Bit

Hey guys, I was looking to get some artful shots of Skyward Sword and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get rid of the HUD?

Please and Thank You!

Beats

Is there some sort of specific setting for the latest version that fixes bloom? I'm too lazy to rip the full game right now but before I upgraded, I remember the demo and full version had the bloom issue. I checked out the Dolphin wiki and it still mentions it.

You have to right click the game on Dolphin, and go to properties. The patches tab should have a bloom off option (it was checked by default for me on r7719). I'm not sure if this would work for the demo build.

Ok, i know that jediyosh. I blame my lack of comunication skills since it seems i haven't stablished my point ;)

I'm asking if someone using the emulator, as i understand, it has buttons and gesture mapping, or say a program like "glovepie", to have the Wii version of Twilight Princess recognize swing directions with the remote gestures. Think of it as a primitive version of Skyward Sword sword combat or like MadWorld, where you do weapon attacks in different directions by gesturing.

Instead of hitting left thubstink + shake for the horizontal slash right to left, has anyone managed to just swing the remote left to get the same slash?

FreeMufasa

The Skyward Sword screens look amazing.

I was wondering if I could request a pic from someone playing the game. Late game spoiler
There are a few scenes where Link's on top of the sky whale. I was hoping someone could take a pic of that without any text bubbles
. It would look really great at the resolution I think.

Mudkips

Banned
I had a perfect dolphin setup with that latest 'dirty' build, and Skyward Sword ran really smoothly...then I updated to the latest numbered build to take care of the graphic glitch in SS and now it stutters like crazy. I feel like all my settings are identical, anyone know about this?

Yeah, I have both the latest release and the latest dirty build, and I can't get the game to not slow down unless I use the "Texture" (vs "RAM") option for EFB somethingorother.

And if I use the "Texture" option, shit looks fucked up.

I've got a 2600K at 4.5 GHz and a 6970 with 16 GB of RAM.
I guess I'll try different builds tonight.

Red

The Skyward Sword screens look amazing.

I was wondering if I could request a pic from someone playing the game. Late game spoiler
There are a few scenes where Link's on top of the sky whale. I was hoping someone could take a pic of that without any text bubbles
. It would look really great at the resolution I think.

I will try to. I took a chance highlighting this spoiler. Haven't reached this part of the game yet, but know about it from media. I'll upload pics whenever I run into it.

Right now I'm heading to dungeon 5, how close am I?

reektann

Anybody successfully using Bluetooth built into their motherboard for Dolphin? Mine is ok but it seems you go over 2 meters away and it becomes flakey. I guess I'll invest in a regular sized USB one...

jediyoshi

Ok, i know that jediyosh. I blame my lack of comunication skills since it seems i haven't stablished my point ;)

Instead of hitting left thubstink + shake for the horizontal slash right to left, has anyone managed to just swing the remote left to get the same slash?

This isn't in the game. You have the regular attack, jump slash, and spin attack. No more variation than what was in the GameCube version. Imagine as if they've taken the regular attack function from it and mapped it to a generic shake.

Red

This isn't in the game. You have the regular attack, jump slash, and spin attack. No more variation than what was in the GameCube version. Imagine as if they've taken the regular attack function from it and mapped it to a generic shake.

I think he's asking about mapping multiple inputs to motion controls. Like Z target + forward on stick + attack = jab. What Refreshment is asking is "is it possible to map all these commands to a single motion?" I'm not sure how glovepie works, but I don't think this is possible.

I think he's asking about mapping multiple inputs to motion controls. Like Z target + forward on stick + attack = jab. What Refreshment is asking is "is it possible to map all these commands to a single motion?" I'm not sure how glovepie works, but I don't think this is possible.
Thanks you crunched that is what i was asking :)

I was looking for some videos and i just found a guy that mapped one of the lerned techniques, the ones you learn from the wolf, to a gesture. But not the normal swings.

I also have a question on skyward sword, how well does it run on dolphin? is it based on my hardware specs, if so then this is what I have

THERMALTAKE ELEMENT T | CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX | ASUS P6X58D
INTEL CORE i7 930 2.8GHz overclocked @ 3.8 GHz | CPU HEATSINK COOLER MASTER RR-UV8-XBU1-GP
RAM CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) | SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 5850
SAMSUNG SH-S223F | WD CAVIAR INTERNAL l HDD |SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 HD103SJ 1TB | INTEL X25-M MAINSTREAM SSD
WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT | ASUS VW246H | RAZER MAMBA MOUSE

Why not just update the OP with different specs and what performance levels to expect from them. The thread is diluted by the thousands of "can my systen run" questions.

I mean they are not for even set up the emulator or the Wii controller. :(

wabo

Banned
Okay. First things first. I have a mid-2011 MacBooK Air, i5 1,7 + shittytel HD 3000.

-Download last build. Realize that crashes badly on Lion. Nice...
-Download 3.0. Configure pad (DS3), configure everything else, create ISO of Twilight Princess... run it on MAX settings (internal res x3, 16 anisotropic). 10 FPS. No more, no less. Not bad.
-Repeat, but this time lowering to 0,3x internal res, no anisotropic and get... 10 FPS.

WTF? Am I missing something?

FreeMufasa

I will try to. I took a chance highlighting this spoiler. Haven't reached this part of the game yet, but know about it from media. I'll upload pics whenever I run into it.

Right now I'm heading to dungeon 5, how close am I?

Thanks. I think you're still quite a while away.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What's this rev 7719 thing?

I went to the Dolphin website and just grabbed the latest update, which is 3.0-2.04(Nov. 21, 2011).

The revision is some MASSIVE number, and 7719 is nowhere a part of it. I'm probably not going to play Zelda on it(will just play it on my Wii and deal with jaggies), but I would like to snag a cheapo copy of Sonic Colors and possibly Xenoblade to use on Dolphin(stuff that I can use a 360 pad for). SMG2 as well given how outstanding the 1080p pics look.

Will I need r7719 for those three? Or is that just a specific Zelda SS build?

Medalion

Banned
What's this rev 7719 thing?

I went to the Dolphin website and just grabbed the latest update, which is 3.0-2.04(Nov. 21, 2011).

The revision is some MASSIVE number, and 7719 is nowhere a part of it. I'm probably not going to play Zelda on it(will just play it on my Wii and deal with jaggies), but I would like to snag a cheapo copy of Sonic Colors and possibly Xenoblade to use on Dolphin(stuff that I can use a 360 pad for). SMG2 as well given how outstanding the 1080p pics look.

Will I need r7719 for those three? Or is that just a specific Zelda SS build?

Go here, it was in the archives section http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html?list=3

Top Bottom