• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a *new* copy of NFS Hot Pursuit - online code expired? [EA Responds]

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Has to be a psn issue. No other reason would explain why the new code doesn't even work.
Be sure that the game region and PSN ID region are compatible
ie: My BF3 code was invalid on my Argentinean account but it worked fine on my US PSN ID

I think its more of a SCE Region handling issue than EA's fault.

In before: OH MAH GAWD FERSIS DAT EA SEALOT!

itsgreen

I'm just preparing to bitch about the inevitable bi-annual pulling of the servers for a game with an online code.

Now that should get some media attention...

falconzss

Be sure that the game region and PSN ID region are compatible
ie: My BF3 code was invalid on my Argentinean account but it worked fine on my US PSN ID

I think its more of a SCE Region handling issue than EA's fault.

In before: OH MAH GAWD FERSIS DAT EA SEALOT!

Don't think it's an SCE issue. Could redeem my uk online pass of Uncharted 3 on my german account but can't do the same with Saints Row: The Third (uk) on the same account unless my codes (preorder bonus + online pass) are invalid to begin with. My guess is that this gets decided by the publisher.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Don't think it's an SCE issue. Could redeem my uk online pass of Uncharted 3 on my german account but can't do the same with Saints Row: The Third (uk) on the same account unless my code (preorder bonus + online pass) are invalid to begin with. My guess is that this gets decided by the publisher.
It depends on the region.
For instance theres no PSN Store assigned to Argentina so i cant log into the Playstation Forums or any website that uses SCE validation like Battlelog.
If i try to log into those services i get a 'No PSN Store on your region lolz' message.

falconzss

It depends on the region.
For instance theres no PSN Store assigned to Argentina so i cant log into the Playstation Forums or any website that uses SCE validation like Battlelog.
If i try to log into those services i get a 'No PSN Store on your region lolz' message.

Well that's really a SCE issue in your case.

Kayo-kun

Something something it's your fault for buying it cheap/later/second hand something.

I am boycotting every type of game that has any of these online passes and other type of stuff that screws the consumer. I can't believe people defended these methods awhile back.

Spaulding

Do your account's region and the game's region match? You can't redeem a code for the US version of game with a German (for example) PSN account.

M3d10n

This is the used-games version of DRM which screws legit customers. Really, this and a load of other bullshit is why my gaming this gen has been limited to Steam, GoG and handhelds.

Happened to me a lot of times. Online code are only good for one year or 18 month. After that, you are screwed, even if you buy the game new

This is a prime example of how fucking stupid this industry gets. (just to be clear not you UnluckyKate that online passes expire)

Fuck over the people paying for your product, then act surprised when gamers don't give a shit about you "not making enough money".

Good luck. I had 2 codes that came with a new Copy of Dragon Age 1 that I never did manage to get working. I didn't even buy that game late - I picked it up a few weeks after it came out.

Haven't bought an EA game since.

Same thing happened to me to! The code for the Dragon armor worked but not the one for the DLC. Been really careful with expiring codes since then.

I just last week bought the Assassins Creed Brotherhood Limited Codex Edition and was really nervous whether the codes were still valid. Luckily they did and AFAIK the Ubisoft Uplay codes never expire.

SykoTech

Been chatting with EA live chat for the last couple of hours....

In short, they issued a new code....didn't work again. Told me to create a new PSN account....lol. I even tried that. Code didn't work still. Now apparently they're going to launch an investigation and possibly get back to me...

I hate this online code garbage.

Lol.

I was never a fan of this Pass stuff, but it didn't really affect me since I always buy new anyway. But now making people go through hell just because they didn't buy it early enough (or didn't activate it earlier enough)? Despicable.

I swear, if I have to pay for the rest of the campaign in Arkham City when I get around to buying it for $30 or so, then I'll probably just buy used. Nice going, publishers. Looks like you're Passes could be having the opposite affect and turning a "New" buyer into a "Used" one now.

Fantasmo

Let this be a warning. Buy new only if the terms are fair. And make sure to skip or buy used for bargain prices. Screw the pubs right back. And devs, stop working for EA and stop blaming us. These practices suck and you're expecting us to bend over? For shame!

The codes seriously expire? That is such bullshit.
ow yeah happend to me also with some XBL gold 48 hour cards, saved them up for 2 years wanted to keep them all in when I had a week off and they all expired....
I was like.
poker_face_RE_Picture_Challenge_2_v2_0-s478x424-174438-580.jpg

Cels

The saga continues!

I opened four tickets before giving up on online tickets.

• Pradeep said EA cannot generate codes and to contact Toys R Us. (this is the worst one here imo, this person straight-up lied to me about code generation)
  • Kapil asked me to show proof of purchase even though I had preemptively done so on the first ticket.
  • Govind told me to make a new PSN account in the same region on my PS3 and use the code there, then login to my main account and that this was a "sure shot" solution. (It wasn't, and I knew it wouldn't work from the outset, but I did it anyway)
  • Finally, on the fourth ticket, Kitu finally gave me an online code. Which didn't work. So I go to bed a little pissed because I had to deal with four people and still don't have a working online pass.

After waking up I decide to try phone support. They get to me real fast (probably the only thing I can compliment them on, but then again it's pretty early in the morning so they must not have that many callers), and a lady named Dawn answers.

I give her my EA account e-mail so she can look at my old tickets to catch up on the situation, and she puts me on hold while she investigates. She puts me back on and asks me to try a new code she reads to me...which doesn't work. She is about to put me on hold again to get a different code but I quickly assert my suspicion that all their online codes are expired and they won't work. She sounds unconvinced and asks to put me on hold while she investigates. When she gets back to me she says that there's something wrong with their system and that the online codes won't work.

She says to call EA back next week. At this point I tell her that I don't want to play phone tag and waste my time calling EA when EA is the one that should contact me since they'll know when they fix whatever is wrong. She gives me a very reluctant ok, and here we are...

TL;DR EA Online support is shit, and their phone support thinks it's a good idea to have their customers play phone tag. And I confirmed over the phone that the online pass codes for NFS HP are screwed up.

Dude that sucks. I'd be so pissed.

I don't care if the problem is on Sony's end or EA's; it's completely unreasonable either way and EA is the root of the problem for having the Online Pass in the first place.

ultron87

I'm kind of tempted to go buy a copy of Hot Pursuit just to see if it is somehow just the OP that is getting screwed over or if it is everybody.

Mastperf

Better get used to it. I expect that next-gen you'll see *New copies come with 3 months of Origin Online for free!* with the option to purchase more for a fee.

EYEL1NER

"B-b-b-b-b-but...USED GAMES!!!"

Fuck online passes. These kind of issues and problems are only going to be more frequent in the future. I can't wait to see what other kind of unforseen issues will arrise, things we haven't even thought of that will occur and fuck us over.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I haven't bought a single game that has used any sort of online code/pass yet, and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

I'm with you on that. The only way I'll ever have a game that does is if it's a gift from someone that I didn't ask for. I refuse to support this bullshit.

B-Dex

The saga continues!

• Pradeep said EA cannot generate codes and to contact Toys R Us. (this is the worst one here imo, this person straight-up lied to me about code generation)
  • Kapil asked me to show proof of purchase even though I had preemptively done so on the first ticket.
  • Govind told me to make a new PSN account in the same region on my PS3 and use the code there, then login to my main account and that this was a "sure shot" solution. (It wasn't, and I knew it wouldn't work from the outset, but I did it anyway)
  • Finally, on the fourth ticket, Kitu finally gave me an online code. Which didn't work. So I go to bed a little pissed because I had to deal with four people and still don't have a working online pass.

After waking up I decide to try phone support. They get to me real fast (probably the only thing I can compliment them on, but then again it's pretty early in the morning so they must not have that many callers), and a lady named Dawn answers.

I give her my EA account e-mail so she can look at my old tickets to catch up on the situation, and she puts me on hold while she investigates. She puts me back on and asks me to try a new code she reads to me...which doesn't work. She is about to put me on hold again to get a different code but I quickly assert my suspicion that all their online codes are expired and they won't work. She sounds unconvinced and asks to put me on hold while she investigates. When she gets back to me she says that there's something wrong with their system and that the online codes won't work.

She says to call EA back next week. At this point I tell her that I don't want to play phone tag and waste my time calling EA when EA is the one that should contact me since they'll know when they fix whatever is wrong. She gives me a very reluctant ok, and here we are...

TL;DR EA Online support is shit, and their phone support thinks it's a good idea to have their customers play phone tag. And I confirmed over the phone that the online pass codes for NFS HP are screwed up.

Yeah, there is a post on the forums about people not being able to redeem the codes. I think there is a problem at EA or PSN to EA.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
The saga continues!

See that is total bullshit. That is exactly why I hate companies that do this online pass shit. Talk all the shit you want about Activision, Microsoft, and many other publishers but they don't pull this shit YET. In fact Kotick for example has said he'd take to overpricing DLC before he would consider Activision using online passes.

Better get used to it. I expect that next-gen you'll see *New copies come with 3 months of Origin Online for free!* with the option to purchase more for a fee.
I'm pretty sure EA did that with Tiger Woods for PC already.

Yeah there we go.
When Tour 12 did grudgingly allow reconnection, I poked around online and discovered something sickening: this game doesn’t even have a dedicated online mode. It has a three month’s membership to Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online, after which you’ll have to pay either £3 a month or £25 per year. That’s on top of the £30 this glorified demo costs in the first place.
:D

EA dabbles in so many questionable anti-consumer practices and policies I can't keep track of it all either. If you predict something shitty happening in the future, odds are EA is already doing it.

Murkas

I haven't redeemed my Alice 1 code for PS3 yet, the paper says it expires in 2021. I wonder why Alice was given so much extra time to redeem.

Guy Legend

The saga continues!

Thanks Cels, I went through the exact same procedure you did, short of calling them. The chat guy (Pradeep) told me that EA would probably get back to me after giving me another non-working code.

Does seem like its an EA/PSN problem. I'll hold off a bit before re-contacting them again.

btkadams

i don't understand why they make this stuff expire. it really pissed me off when i bought a "bluray + digital copy" movie from blockbuster's closing sale and the download code had expired. why have that on the cover of the movie if it doesn't work? at least have it as a removable sticker or something.

Rorschach

Butthurt gaffer - "I am boycotting any and all games that use online pass!"

TeethMummy:
http://i.imgur.com/JnLp1.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

How does it create more copies for you? Has any major title sold out in the last 2 decades? I can finally buy that second BF3 copy!

[quote="junkster, post: 33117554"]Paging Ninja Scooter...[/QUOTE]

He'll be here shortly to remind you all that you're all nerds and that he is superior to you.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
How does it create more copies for you? Has any major title sold out in the last 2 decades? I can finally buy that second BF3 copy!

Thats not the point. People's "boycotts" are stupid. Its a customer service issue that they are helping the OP to resolve.

The same people who bitch about online pass are also the ones who bitch about used game sales not sending profit to the developers. You cant have it both ways.

EDIT: I am wrong, there are more than enough 12 digit codes to go around

Its inconvenient at times, but mostly just 10 seconds of your life to enter a code and go on. Deal with it.

Thats not the point. People's "boycotts" are stupid. Its a customer service issue that they are helping the OP to resolve.

The same people who bitch about online pass are also the ones who bitch about used game sales not sending profit to the developers. You cant have it both ways.

A 12 digit code can not last forever, there are not enough different code combinations to allow for it. Online passes will sometimes expire. Its the state of the games industry and one person refusing to buy any game with an online pass will not make any difference.

Its inconvenient at times, but mostly just 10 seconds of your life to enter a code and go on. Deal with it.

You let off a lot of hot steam but you're really not saying anything at all.
Being scammed by a company that sells faulty products, and is unwilling to do something about it is criminal behaviour. EA is a criminal organization for all I care. An online scam, the nigerian prince of videogames if you want.

Be as apologetic as you like, but online passes don't need to be expired to not work. They sometimes don't even work on day one, like my brother had to experience.
EA still refuses to give him a new and working code, scamming him.

But please, do take up with online passes, cause who cares if some people get scammed out of their money as long as you get a working copy. Tough world eh.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member

A 12 digit code can not last forever, there are not enough different code combinations to allow for it. Online passes will sometimes expire. Its the state of the games industry and one person refusing to buy any game with an online pass will not make any difference.

And it's that kind of attitude that allows them to get away with this shit. Sure one person making a stand may not do shit but if more and more stand up and say enough is enough it eventually will. Sadly too many are sheep and just bend over and take it instead of having a set and taking a stand. Also I think you're wrong. Most of us who are bitching about this also have supported used games sales and hated on the fact that these passes even exist in the first place. In fact this is a perfect example of why these passes are bad to begin with because not only do they screw a used game purchaser they're now screwing first hand buyers buying it brand spanking new too. They're just anti consumer all around be it a used copy purchaser or a new copy purchaser.

km3k

Neo Member
A 12 digit code can not last forever, there are not enough different code combinations to allow for it. Online passes will sometimes expire.

What?

A-Z,0-9 across 12 digits = 4.73838134×10^18 combinations

Even ruling out similar looking characters, you'd still have more combinations than people on earth. These codes only need to be unique per game, not completely unique across all games.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Boycotts aren't dumb, but complaining but buying it new IS dumb.

I've never complained about used game sales hurting devs and hate online passes so sorry not here and most people fit in one side or the other.

Online passes are disgusting and anyone buying them is part of the problem even if they are the majority.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
You let off a lot of hot steam but you're really not saying anything at all.
Being scammed by a company that sells faulty products, and is unwilling to do something about it is criminal behaviour. EA is a criminal organization for all I care. An online scam, the nigerian prince of videogames if you want.

Be as apologetic as you like, but online passes don't need to be expired to not work. They sometimes don't even work on day one, like my brother had to experience.
EA still refuses to give him a new and working code, scamming him.

But please, do take up with online passes, cause who cares if some people get scammed out of their money as long as you get a working copy. Tough world eh.

In what way is it a scam? Pay for online access if you buy used, thats what Gamestop has done to the industry. And the gaf hivemind wants you to buy new to make sure developers profit from the sale.

This guy got a faulty code. EA is working to correct his issue and will assuredly offer him some discounts/bonuses for his trouble. This is how customer service works. Its an EA customer service issue. There is no scam.

And it's that kind of attitude that allows them to get away with this shit. Sure one person making a stand may not do shit but if more and more stand up and say enough is enough it eventually will. Sadly too many are sheep and just bend over and take it instead of having a set and taking a stand. Also I think you're wrong. Most of us who are bitching about this also have supported used games sales and hated on the fact that these passes even exist in the first place. In fact this is a perfect example of why these passes are bad to begin with because not only do they screw a used game purchaser they're now screwing first hand buyers buying it brand spanking new.

This first hand buyer is getting screwed, but as his posts say, its a problem with EA/PSN communication and they're gonna fix it. These things happen.

I am not being a sheep, I'm being a realist. Gamestop and used games sales steering profit away from the people who make the game caused this to happen. It's not going away, and most gamers couldnt care less about having to take 10 seconds to enter a code (which you only have to do once, by the way) before playing online. This poor guy has a faulty code. It sucks, but its not the end of the world, nor is EA trying to scam him. They'll fix the issue and probably toss him a bonus or discount for his troubles.

And if youre gonna let this minor, 10 second inconvenience prevent you from playing fantastic games like Uncharted, Battlefield, etc. Then you're just cheating yourself on a misguided vendetta that won't change anything.

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I'm just being realistic.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
What?

A-Z,0-9 across 12 digits = 4.73838134×10^18 combinations

Even ruling out similar looking characters, you'd still have more combinations than people on earth. These codes only need to be unique per game, not completely unique across all games.

I stand corrected.

InertiaXr

A 12 digit code can not last forever, there are not enough different code combinations to allow for it.

Lol, idiot. A 12 digit code with 10 available characters per digit (0-9) encompasses about 62 billion different combinations. That's disregarding any letters you want to use, which would make it 6.27821185 x 10^15. This kind of lying and straight making shit up should probably be bannable. How many games do you think EA sells?

The problem, TeethMummy, is that Online Passes don't really benefit anyone. Even EA said recently they're not making much money off it. It's at best a momentary inconvenience for paying customers, at worst a clusterfuck when paying customers can't access what they paid for and expected. And used customers generally don't give a fuck.

Everyone loses, no one wins. The whole thing is stupid.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Lol, idiot. A 12 digit code with 10 available characters per digit (0-9) encompasses about 62 billion different combinations. That's disregarding any letters you want to use, which would make it 6.27821185 x 10^15. This kind of lying and straight making shit up should probably be bannable. How many games do you think EA sells?

Why don't you chill out, man? I was wrong about that, another poster pointed it out in a far more mature manner.

And that doesn't really alter my argument. I still think its a very minor inconvenience, and trying to get profit off used game sales for those that made the game is a cause I agree with. Code problems suck, and are annoying, but its part of modern gaming, just like day one patches and 100kb downloads.

And neuromancer has a point, but $10-15 million in "found revenue" is still a pretty good turnaround from what would have just been nothing to those who buy the game used.

InertiaXr

Why don't you chill out, man? I was wrong about that, another poster pointed it out in a far more mature manner.

Nah, no thanks. I refuse to believe you are capable of the english language and able to type out your thoughts for others to read and understand, and then look at a 12 digit code and think, 'man I bet there is only like 400,000 total possibilities here, if you buy it too long after release you should just deal with it!'

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
My mathematical skills aside, and I was the first to admit I should have researched that comment before making it, the point I'm trying to make:

"Boycotting" any game with an online pass will only cheat you, the gamer, out of some of the finest experiences you can have on a console. Online passes are here to stay thanks to Gamestop and similar outlets. Taking 10 seconds to enter a code the first time you boot your game is no big deal. It is now something we all have to deal with. I feel bad for the OP, but as he pointed out, its not even a problem with the code, its EA's servers, and I'm sure they'll reward him for his patience with the matter.

Don't pass on great games like Uncharted because you're opposed to the online pass. There are more important things to get upset about.

Top Bottom