• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Wii U currently at fourth (fifth?) dev kit?

BY2K

Membero Americo
According to this Singaporean government site, Nintendo is currently on it's fourth Wii U dev kit, labelled CAT-DEV.

7P4ED.png

Though this image tells me fifth dev kit, unless one of them is the Controller.

I also wonder what the "low-power" part means.

Gaborn

How typical is that? I've heard before of different generations of dev kits but is this abnormal or in line with other consoles?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wonder who the first to figure out what CAT stands for will be.

Controller and terminal maybe?

watershed

Banned
If its gotten more powerful with each iteration the wii u must be pretty powerful by now! Also I have no idea what that chart means.

Daschysta

low power device?

Does that mean that perhaps the final iteration could end up significantly more powerful than reports from people with access to dev kits have been implying?

Does anyone know how many revisions of devkits other consoles had, just to give us some comparison?

I'm just wondering if this is is abnormally high or not for a console in development. I'm curious if such constant revisions are normal, or indicative that Nintendo is still very uncertain as to what the innards of the final product will actually be.

Its a shame we don't know how different each revised devkit is from its predecessors, it would at least give some insight in to whether Nintendo are making radical or minor changes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Paging lherre.

guek

Banned
If its gotten more powerful with each iteration the wii u must be pretty powerful by now! Also I have no idea what that chart means.

Well we've been talking in terms of DBZ power levels for some time now. Perhaps it is similar to the legendary warrior race known as the Saiyans in that every battle or injury ultimately makes it stronger and stronger.

Quick! Someone blow up a devkit then give it some beans!

Gaborn

The First 3ds dev kit I ever saw was a motherboard with two screens and a classic pro controller hooked up to it.

I could believe it. The question is again, how many more iterations did you see, and what is the typical number of iterations a dev kit will go through, ESPECIALLY prior to release (but after they go out to third parties)

Its quite obvious that Nintendo follows the Japanese way of thinking and doesn't believe in patching software. This means everytime they want to update the feature set you slap it on a new bit of hardware, add a new number and sell for maximum profit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So this is standard stuff, I guess.

Yeah, I feel the biggest revelation here is that they're on the fourth of fifth devkit, and that V4 added the wireless card (or some other form of WLAN broadcast capability), so it's getting further along.

Borman

The 360 went through a few development kits, all with different specs really. Alpha kits were Power PC Apple computers, then beta 1 and 2 at least with different specs, some not accepting wireless controllers correctly, and plenty of other tests inbetween. Plus, multiple versions! And prototypes of the new revisions of motherboards, prototypes of the Slims, XDA kits, the list goes on really.

Of course, the Xbox 1 had Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 PC towers, the beta DVT3 kit, a slightly later DVT3 with a more final green jewel (no longer metal), and DVT4s, plus debug kits and prototypes inbetween.

Even the Wii had a few. Dreamcast had multiple kits, ranging from things like the Set 2 which were installed into PCs, to Katana kits, to later Dreamcast kits, with various versions of course.

So yeah, probably not unusual, depending on what is actually changing ;)

I wish there was a picture of that somewhere.

There are pictures of it, at least part of it. The rumored prototype 3ds kit that some sites leaked, which were big motherboards, are those kits. They didn't even ship with the right amount of cameras installed, and were often added on as Nintendo sent them.

Does anyone know how many revisions of devkits other consoles had, just to give us some comparison?

I'm just wondering if this is is abnormally high or not for a console in development. I'm curious if such constant revisions are normal, or indicative that Nintendo is still very uncertain as to what the innards of the final product will actually be.

Its a shame we don't know how different each revised devkit is from its predecessors, it would at least give some insight in to whether Nintendo are making radical or minor changes.

An old IGN article indicated Wii had five versions if I remember correctly.

wsippel

Banned
Wonder who the first to figure out what CAT stands for will be.

Controller and terminal maybe?
We don't even know what "CTR" stands for yet. And considering the 3DS' codename is supposedly "Horizon"...

"CA" could certainly mean "Café" though, "T" might stand for "test" or something. With the Wii, there are the regular "RVL" devices, but there's also a series called "RVA" (probably "ReVolution Arcade") - that product code is used for arcade PCBs based on Wii hardware.

guek

Banned
V2 and V4 have different amounts of ram. V2W and V4W are 3rd gen kits with updates but the same amounts of ram.

Found the article.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/690/690730p1.html

Insiders allege that some big-name publishers have recently received a more complete Revolution development kit - we call it revision three and a half -- complete with internal hardware more reflective of the 'new generation' system and a wireless Revolution controller. However, most uncommitted third parties will not gain access to this unit for several weeks, if not longer.

Developers making Revolution software that will show up at E3 2006 in playable form - high profile companies like EA and Ubisoft, to name a few - will soon be sent the official fourth SDK prototype, which promises to deliver between 90% and 95% of the final system's performance.

Final, completely finished development kits are expected to be made widely available this June, according to sources we contacted.

I calculated before that if Nintendo is following the same trend with Wii U, then some devs would get the final kit in January at the soonest (assuming a July launch).

Top Bottom