• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
not liking the OS at all. Swiping in all four directions, launching friends lists etc(do you get notifications if the app aren't running)?

Set up a jpn account to havea look at thestore and download demos, but will switch to myUS account before playing retail games. Also no wifi in our house so need to find a hotspot tomorrow for more demos. Only managedto download ar combat which was confusing. Hopefully it wasnt the same game as in the recent AR showreel, because while playing in your living room is cute, it doesn't seem to use objects as obstacles

I disagree on the OS as it's quite fast and very responsive. Not totally intuitive though after 5 hours of fiddling around with it.
AR is tricky to do and especially registering items "as obstacles". AR is not developed enough to be mass market thing yet, but this is a good way to start. android, ios, 3ds and vita are all mass market devices that can use AR, so I hope it will rapid the ar development.

new reply as editbutton doesn't seem to work on vita browser.

is army of hell really like pikmin? is there a demo?

Dont know about gameplay, but no demo available, only video.

A question to the Vita guys. Have you tried to press the notification when you get a message? If it works does it take you to directly to the message?

Kyon

Banned
I would expect Namco to at least try once on new console before dropping MH support for the West. Don't care much really, want Type-0 more.
idk why ppl still think MH is coming to the US. Not saying it won't but it's not confirmed and it's just not likely imo.

Grimmy

Banned
Think he means MHP3rd being localised for the West, but as a Vita version. Seems unlikely though.

That won't happen. Capcom'll localize the 3DS version. It's one reason why MH is done on PSP/Vita, since I'm sure Nintendo will give it a big push in the West like with Tri.

But why did he mention Namco???

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Fellas, this is a long-shot, and I apologise if it's been asked elsewhere in the thread, but if someone has a Vita, an American PSN account, and a PS2 title, would they please be able to test if it works (with/without remote play)?

Really curious as to whether the PS2 Classics, etc. will work like the PSone games on Vita.

Thanks very much in advance.
Same question, new page.

JoeFenix

Ugh, it seems the networking aspect of Vita is awesome except for the fact that it doesn't always lets you connect.

That's fucking horrible, Uncharted just straight up disables Wi-Fi and 5 minutes of Idle time kills Wi-Fi aswell. Wtf?

Cartman86

Banned
Ugh, it seems the networking aspect of Vita is awesome except for the fact that it doesn't always lets you connect.

That's fucking horrible, Uncharted just straight up disables Wi-Fi and 5 minutes of Idle time kills Wi-Fi aswell. Wtf?

Yep this seems like a huge fucking mistake if it's on purpose. I understand having a range of options for the user. For example turning off wifi if not plugged in to save power. As is this just negates the connected nature of the device. I would think I would want friends to be able to see me playing games, or chat with me like every other modern device. It's got to be some weird bug right? I mean Hot Shots disconnects wifi when you turn on the gyro. I'm not a tech guy, but that's not normal is it?

That won't happen. Capcom'll localize the 3DS version. It's one reason why MH is done on PSP/Vita, since I'm sure Nintendo will give it a big push in the West like with Tri.

But why did he mention Namco???

Messed Capcom and Namco, sorry.

Then again Tri didn't set the West on fire.

JoeFenix

Yep this seems like a huge fucking mistake if it's on purpose. I understand having a range of options for the user. For example turning off wifi if not plugged in to save power. As is this just negates the connected nature of the device. I would think I would want friends to be able to see me playing games, or chat with me like every other modern device. It's got to be some weird bug right? I mean Hot Shots disconnects wifi when you turn on the gyro. I'm not a tech guy, but that's not normal is it?

It seems like it's on purpose, it's a tradeoff in terms of power usage...

It's the dumbest decision they could have made imo, what's the point of great graphics on a portable if it sacrifices social aspects?

Tarin02543

This is sort of off topic but might be related to Vita/PS3 as well, I've been trying to transfer Psone games via USB from PS3 to PSP but I'm not getting any copy options in XMB anymore.

Anyone know if Sony has removed this option? The only way to play your Psone games bought off the PS3 store is to download them via the PSP store on your PSP.

Cartman86

Banned
It seems like it's on purpose, it's a tradeoff in terms of power usage...

It's the dumbest decision they could have made imo, what's the point of great graphics on a portable if it sacrifices social aspects?

Just seems weird if I decide I want to waste my battery why not let me? Considering most people are going to use wifi in a building they are probably going to have a charger close by. Maybe i'm the only one who plays a lot of handheld games in my bed?

JoeFenix

Just seems weird if I decide I want to waste my battery why not let me? Considering most people are going to use wifi in a building they are probably going to have a charger close by. Maybe i'm the only one who plays a lot of handheld games in my bed?

I hear you, it's completely retarded imo. I'm honestly worried about the future of Vita if their priorities are this bad.

Hyuga

Banned
I just mean as a piece of kit, is it totally worth getting the first iteration by what you have seen. I got the PSP 1000,2000, and GO, but skipped the 3000. Just don't really know if i want to wait for a revision or not.
I did the same :) (skipped the 3000)
Will buy the VITA on day 1 ;)

MightyKAC

Do you you have proof of ANYTHING you just mentioned here?

I mean I'm pretty sure that MHTriG will hit the states soon as well but the rest of it just sounds like your own personal speculation since we haven't hear anything from Capcom about its MH plans for the PSP or the Vita going forward.

Grimmy

Banned

I mean I'm pretty sure that MHTriG will hit the states soon as well but the rest of it just sounds like your own personal speculation since we haven't hear anything from Capcom about its MH plans for the PSP or the Vita going forward.

You seriously think Capcom will still continue the series on the Vita/PSP with everything that's going on - TWO new games - on the 3DS?

Unless Capcom is really that thick, dividing the MH portable userbase would be the stupidest, series-destroying thing they've ever done. MH's success on portable is based on the local multiplayer function. It does them no favors to have 2 different versions on different hardware that can't play with each other. They need to concentrate on one portable. Console-wise is different, especially since different consoles can still play with each other on the same network.

Clearly Capcom sees the 3DS as the hardware which will have the most potential worldwide - not just in Japan, but worldwide. They didn't have MH on the DS because of technical limitations. Now that the 3DS solves this, there's no reason to split the userbase.

It's hardly "personal speculation" - it's common sense.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not to mention next year there is 90% chance for MH 3rd Vita and Type-0.
A Type-0 port with enhanced visuals would be nice as I'd rather not play it on the PSP at this point. I have absolutely no interest in Monster Hunter either way, however. I tried to get into it, but it's just too tedious for my taste. I recognize that it's an important game for some markets, of course, but it doesn't do anything for me.

Gacha-pin

-activate vita with my US account.
-purchase Chinatown wars on US store on PS3 and download it.
-connect vita to PS3.
-Chinatown doesn't appear on vita's contents management menu.

bummer

Also, I found psn game store on vita is IP-blocked like the video store on PS3. I couldn't even access to my download list on vita...you can't access to product code input screen as well.

And you don´t have proof of the opposite either. The matter of the fact is that Capcom showed MH on VITA when it was revealed, and Capcom made MHHD on the PS3 but did not port it to the VITA speaks volumes about Capcom´s software direction. That might change in the distant future, but not in the short term future.

You seriously think Capcom will still continue the series on the Vita/PSP with everything that's going on - TWO new games - on the 3DS?

Unless Capcom is really that thick, dividing the MH portable userbase would be the stupidest, series-destroying thing they've ever done. MH's success on portable is based on the local multiplayer function. It does them no favors to have 2 different versions on different hardware that can't play with each other. They need to concentrate on one portable. Console-wise is different, especially since different consoles can still play with each other on the same network.

Clearly Capcom sees the 3DS as the hardware which will have the most potential worldwide - not just in Japan, but worldwide. They didn't have MH on the DS because of technical limitations. Now that the 3DS solves this, there's no reason to split the userbase.

I find it hardly "common sense" to go exclusive in this economy, and after seeing what happened to X360/PS3. You can have different communities on PSVita and 3DS, the type of users Sony and Nintendo go after is much different.

Also, anyone finds it funny that after PS3, and PSP Sony still seems to be Kutaragi-driven? PSVita is a technical marvel, something Kutaragi got bashed for a lot.

decaf

I'm guessing there'll be no way to access the US / UK PSN stores to download PSP games until the Vita's Western launch then?

Grimmy

Banned
I find it hardly "common sense" to go exclusive in this economy, and after seeing what happened to X360/PS3. You can have different communities on PSVita and 3DS, the type of users Sony and Nintendo go after is much different.

Also, anyone finds it funny that after PS3, and PSP Sony still seems to be Kutaragi-driven? PSVita is a technical marvel, something Kutaragi got bashed for a lot.

The type of users that go for MH is exactly the same regardless of portable platforms, so that already invalidates that notion.

And Capcom has a history of going exclusive - does it make any sense for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom to be Wii-only? They never bothered porting that over. If there's a company that does things like this, it's Capcom.

But I'm sure Capcom won't be going exclusive with MH for long anyway - I'm sure the next MH console version will be multi-plat.

But not on portables. As said, the local multiplayer is the game's killer app. I've been saying this even before MH3G and MH4 was announced for the 3DS, so I'm hardly being inconsistent.

It's mostly wishful thinking on Vita users IMO that the game is coming to the Vita.

French

Banned

Nobody cares about MH overseas.

And after 3G bomba ( + its price already cut on Amazon ), Capcom could change its mind. :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hm..not being connected while playing certain single player games is pretty odd. I won't even play a game on my PS3 if I'm not connected to PSN. Must always be plugged into the matrix.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nobody cares about MH overseas.

And after 3G bomba ( + its price already cut on Amazon ), Capcom could change its mind. :)

You have to stop living in your own universe. NeoGaf doesn't mock at you with no reason.

GorillaJu

I really like how when games launch overseas, there are no metacritic scores available yet so people actually have to play the games and form their own opinions.

Of course, when the reviews eventually do come out and the consensus differs, we all have to tell the people who bought it that they were wrong and it's actually a bad game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
-activate vita with my US account.
-purchase Chinatown wars on US store on PS3 and download it.
-connect vita to PS3.
-Chinatown doesn't appear on vita's contents management menu.

bummer

Also, I found psn game store on vita is IP-blocked like the video store on PS3. I couldn't even access to my download list on vita...you can't access to product code input screen as well.

The US store for Vita doesn't exist yet. Probably explains the Chinatown wars thing too.

klee123

The type of users that go for MH is exactly the same regardless of portable platforms, so that already invalidates that notion.

And Capcom has a history of going exclusive - does it make any sense for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom to be Wii-only? They never bothered porting that over. If there's a company that does things like this, it's Capcom.

But I'm sure Capcom won't be going exclusive with MH for long anyway - I'm sure the next MH console version will be multi-plat.

But not on portables. As said, the local multiplayer is the game's killer app. I've been saying this even before MH3G and MH4 was announced for the 3DS, so I'm hardly being inconsistent.

It's mostly wishful thinking on Vita users IMO that the game is coming to the Vita.

They were thick enough to ignore another 4+ million sales of another entry on PSP, but just keep ignoring that then!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sales report postings on japanese sites [azalyn.blog22/ameblo.jp]

- Select stores report sellouts of Vita WiFi models.

- Estimated sellthroughs; Vita WiFi 85%, Vita 3G/WiFi 56%

- Top selling launch software Mogol6, Uncharted, Dynasty Vita. Ridgeracer "uncharacteristically" slow

- Memorycard stock low; 32G and 16G soldout, over 90% Vita buyer also bought memory cards

- software-Vita tie ratio 1:1

The link isn't right. It conduct me to the Google search. I can only find this http://azalyn.blog22.fc2.com/ , which is classic azalyn's blog where he reports about his own situation.

klee123

they had to move their fanbase over to new hardware at somepoint.

If 3P's popularity was of any indication, the franchise could definitely have one more entry on PSP before it really needed to move to another hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised if MH4's unveiling was Nintendo's doing more than anything.

Wazzim

Banned
If 3P's popularity was of any indication, the franchise could definitely have one more entry on PSP before it really needed to move to another hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised if MH4's unveiling was Nintendo's doing more than anything.

It's not only Nintendo, Capcom just wants maximum revenue with as little money spent as possible. They don't want to redo all their models in HD so the 3DS is perfect. They'll keep doing this until all systems require higher resolution textures.

French

Banned
You have to stop living in your own universe. NeoGaf doesn't mock at you with no reason.

Sorry if in my universe 500k for a handheld MH is low. :)

Yeah I know, incoming damage control about the userbase. It may be a good score for a 3DS game, but it's a bad one for an MH.

But it's off topic. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom