• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think I may scratch myself in my sleep...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens every time! I assumed it was me scratching in my sleep but scratching myself enough to start bleeding?! I'm a light sleeper and that would wake me up. Plus, I bite my nails so I couldn't be using them but they look like scratch marks to me. :(

EsuHzl.jpg

VdCR9l.jpg

NSseRl.jpg

Any ideas?

Grinchy

Banned
I had a zit or mosquito bite on my leg and did this in my sleep once. I woke up and there was quite a bit of blood on my sheet. It was jarring at first. I thought I had finally become a woman, but then I saw my leg and realize I was still just a boy.

If you bite your nails the edges of them are probably very irregular and sharp, so that might explain the scratch marks. Trim them properly and use some moisturizing lotion in your legs before going to sleep.

It's either that or an angry bear busting into your room every night to sharpen its claws against your legs.

Ballistik

Damn that's crazy. It doesn't happen anymore, but I had a phase a couple of months ago where I would bite myself in my sleep, and wake up in the morning with a bloody lip.

Rapstah

Look at it from the good side: at least you're not scratching someone else until they bleed in your sleep. I would mount cameras to make very sure that is not happening to you though. You might have given someone else the keys to your place in your sleep or who knows what.

jts

...hate me...
Have a cup of hot cocoa just before going to bed.

It won't help you with that, but damn it tastes so good.

way more

Wow, I kind of do a similar thing but that looks brutal.

First, I suggest some of this.
Aquaphor.jpg

But you should see a dermatologist. You solution might be something incredibly simple. Maybe try some OTC benadryl as well.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I used to scratch myself in bed, but I honestly forgot how I got over it. That also looks like a mild rash I used to get that came from the soap i used to wash my clothes in. Switched to Hypo-allergenic and I'm doing a lot better now. That could also be it. Your body reacts at night to the detergents and all that. You scratch yourself at night pretty badly and think it's a mental thing when it's really your body reacting to a physical trigger.

Stretch marks. Your legs are giving birth to new legs while you sleep. It's actually quite common although your symptoms themselves are atypical as most people will only notice that their socks are slowly despairing.

Jasup

I have atopic dertmatitis and do this. These are the three basic rules I live by:

1) remove the irritants: clean bed sheets and regular showers are the first things you have to remember. Shower before going to bed.

2) Use proper ointments to keep your skin from drying, forget the moisturisers sold in supermarkets. Get hydrocortisone cream or similar stuff, consult a dermatologist if you want some proper creams.

3) Clip your nails, do not bite them. Use thin cotton gloves while sleeping if necessary.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Did you have blood on any of your fingers when you woke up? If not... uh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom