• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
CountZeroInt said:
Looks good but not $650 good. It's just one ATV game, and doubt it has much scope.

's next gen ATV for the scope. Rainbow's games you can easily dump 100+ hours into.

That was brilliant... dump on a game you know very little about, and instead trumpet again we know absolutely nothing about....

I think it will be a great title to get the casuals interested. There's nothing like this on 360 and "the kids" went mad over the completely average Smugglers Run, so this could fill that void.

It looked good, but nothing like the target renders. Hopefully they can up the visuals before launch.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
SolidSnakex said:
ATV getting revenge on the buggy....somewhat

13210000368.gif

That's amazing

Dav2k said:
I think it will be a great title to get the casuals interested. There's nothing like this on 360 and "the kids" went mad over the completely average Smugglers Run, so this could fill that void.

It looked good, but nothing like the target renders. Hopefully they can up the visuals before launch.

Meh. I'm not holding my breath over CGI. All in in all this game is looking fantastic in it's own right in comparison to what's actually out, the physics all over the place just takes the cake. I say more cars for more mayhem and make sure to get this puppy to 60 fps.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Meh. I'm not holding my breath over CGI. All in in all that game is looking fantastic in it's own right in comparison to what's actually out, the physics all ove the place just takes the cake. I say more cars for more mayhem and make sure to get this puppy to 60 fps.

I think it's hard for them to reach the cgi one. I just had a look at the trailer from e3 2005, and the image qualtiy and detail are better but the new stuff looks so much fun and has implemented the mayhem and the crashes from the original trailer, I just can't see them reaching that, to a critical eye, if they add more particle effects I think most people will be happy.

Pimpwerx

Did they show what some of the other tracks might look like? I sure hope there's a variety of environments and not just a desert setting. Dust trails are cool and all, but I'd also like to run through snow drifts on a frozen lake and other shit like that. PEACE.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pimpwerx said:
Did they show what some of the other tracks might look like? I sure hope there's a variety of environments and not just a desert setting. Dust trails are cool and all, but I'd also like to run through snow drifts on a frozen lake and other shit like that. PEACE.

It all takes place in a valley, but they're suggesting there'll be a lot of variety. One of the talked-about tracks previously was inside a volcano, for example..

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Pimpwerx said:

The developer stated that it will take place exclusively in the desert, but he's confident that the game will still offer the level of variety that gamers are looking for.

Pimpwerx

Thanks gofreak and mashout. I was hoping for more than that, but I'll wait to see what variety is offered in the final product. I suppose different environments might be something for MS2. ;) PEACE.

CurlySaysX said:
not to nit pick, the game looks great.
but i've spotted a flaw.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/starpet1/ms.jpg
Note how the window is up but the dude is poping out of not only the window, but thru the door.
I think the potrusion is right, his arm is just hanging over the window edge, not actually clipping through the door itself. The window not being rolled down looks like the only flaw I think.
SolidSnakex said:
ATV getting revenge on the buggy....somewhat

13210000368.gif
Mmmm that one is awesome.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ok I'm tired as fuck and I wanted to get the info here ASAP since no one else seems to have remarked on it.

- Game takes place in Monument Valley
- There will only be 12 race tracks
- One of the tracks takes place on the Mesa, another track is a figure 8 in a canyon
- Cars are destructible however the body frame stays in tact
- Online mode (aiming for 8 - 16 players)
- DLC with new tracks and vehicles
- 35 different vehicles, they are upgradable
- There is no real-time deformation, that's all a parallax map
- The physics however react accordingly to the textures
- They are aiming for 20 cars at once on the track
- They will use the motion sensing controller as a means to attack other players or taunt
- The point of the game is to be simple and fun

sol_bad

Paralax mapping?
What?
No, the tyres leave actual grooves in the road, this was shown at GDC.
I hope your talking about the tyre grooves anyway.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
sol_bad said:
Paralax mapping?
What?
No, the tyres leave actual grooves in the road, this was shown at GDC.
I hope your talking about the tyre grooves anyway.
Parallax mapping looks very convincing if you need an effect like this. It's hard to discern whether the geometry has been really changed or parallax mapping used.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I asked the Producer, I think he knows his game well. At GDC it was also a parallax map.

Anyways why bother going with real-time deformation when you can do a parallax map and just calculate the physics adjustments along with it? Cuts down on bandwith and gives you the same effect, very intelligent of them I'd say.

Udde said:
Anyone happen to save this animated Gif and able to re-host it? (I can't even remember which one it was exactly but based on our response it was great.)

I can throw up a re-host for it soon after if the first re-host will only be temporary.

TekunoRobby said:
I asked the Producer, I think he knows his game well. At GDC it was also a parallax map.

Anyways why bother going with real-time deformation when you can do a parallax map and just calculate the physics adjustments along with it? Cuts down on bandwith and gives you the same effect, very intelligent of them I'd say.
Is it total parallax mapping and syncing the physics up with it or does the parallax mapping just play the role of assistant to some core deformation.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Didn't you guys find the motion sensing controller support interesting? You can thrust the controller left or right while playing and that causes the rider to lash out similar to Road Rash.

The game controls fine but it needs more cars on screen. I kept pushing that they should add in some sort of free-roam mode since the lack of tracks might hurt it a bit before they get the DLC up and running. Fortunately he thought it was a good idea but lamented the lack of time in order to get that up in time for launch. Also he thought it didn't jive with the focused nature of the project and deviated a bit too far from the simple and fun nature of straight up racing.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
KyanMehwulfe said:
Is it total parallax mapping and syncing the physics up with it or does the parallax mapping just play the role of assistant to some core deformation.
Physics synch up with it but unfortunately I couldn't ask him any hardcore technical questions since he was literally screaming everything about the game in my ear since we were up in the media section on the show floor.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TekunoRobby said:
Didn't you guys find the motion sensing controller support interesting? You can thrust the controller left or right while playing and that causes the rider to lash out similar to Road Rash.

The game controls fine but it needs more cars on screen. I kept pushing that they should add in some sort of free-roam mode since the lack of tracks might hurt it a bit before they get the DLC up and running. Fortunately he thought it was a good idea but lamented the lack of time in order to get that up in time for launch. Also he thought it didn't jive with the focused nature of the project and deviated a bit too far from the simple and fun nature of straight up racing.

The controller support does sound interesting. With that aspect added, it sounds much more like Road Rash but with Buggys, Cars and Semis.

The freeroaming sounds cool too, its unforunate that this is a launch game though. Evolution must be scrambling to finish what they've got now just to meet launch

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Docpan said:
Ho ly shit, that looks like trash compared to the renders from e3 05

Also looks like tons of fun....forgot that part, didn't you....

TekunoRobby said:

SOLD!!!!

TekunoRobby said:
Physics synch up with it but unfortunately I couldn't ask him any hardcore technical questions since he was literally screaming everything about the game in my ear since we were up in the media section on the show floor.

Did he mention anything about possible racing wheel support?

sol_bad

I feel ripped off if the ground doesn't actually deform.
They boasted real ground deformation ........ but it's not?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SolidSnakex said:
Did he mention anything about possible racing wheel support?
Nope, not at all. I didn't ask about it though.

Oh right, I forgot to mention that they will have a taunt system in place.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
sol_bad said:
I feel ripped off if the ground doesn't actually deform.
They boasted real ground deformation ........ but it's not?
Imagine how utterly insane that would be with 20 cars in a race and after two laps. Actually I think it's cool how they're acheiving the exact same effect by being intelligent about its implementation.

TekunoRobby said:

Yeah, thats the part thats missing. If its simply parallax mapping (2D illusion) how are they getting the tires to seemingly "fall into" the grooves then? Even up close at GDC it doesnt look like there's trickery going on, it looks like the wheels interacting with "changed geometry". Any rendering gurus have a better idea?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Yeah, thats the part thats missing. If its simply parallax mapping (2D illusion) how are they getting the tires to seemingly "fall into" the grooves then? Even up close at GDC it doesnt look like there's trickery going on, it looks the wheels interacting with "changed geometry". Any rendering gurus have a better idea?
Yeah, they actually calculate and update the physics model with every groove. It's not just a parallax map that's being laid down. If you look closely the tires are partially in the ground most of the time and dip in and out of the geometry slightly when going over a groove.

TekunoRobby said:

I doubt that you actually asked the producer. It doesn't make the statement true if there is no evidence to back it up.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
acousticvan said:
I doubt that you actually asked the producer. It doesn't make the statement true if there is no evidence to back it up.
I love you junior members.

I spoke to Simon Benson, you can ask him if you like.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TekunoRobby said:
Yeah, they actually calculate and update the physics model with every groove. It's not just a parallax map that's being laid down. If you look closely the tires are partially in the ground most of the time and dip in and out of the geometry slightly when going over a groove.

It sounds like it might still be Geometry Deformation then. I'm thinking that Paralax Mapping is happening for the textures but the geometry under the texture is being deformed. So it could be Geometry Deformation and Paralax Mapping in conjunction.

teiresias

acousticvan said:
If Carmack appears in this forum the first time, he'd still be a junior member.

Well Carmack doesn't read this forum, that's why he's finished four Quakes and you still have yet to ship Duke Nukem Forever.

I have no idea who acousticvan really is.

teiresias said:
Well Carmack doesn't read this forum, that's why he's finished four Quakes and you still have yet to ship Duke Nukem Forever.

I have no idea who acousticvan really is.

You'll know me very soon. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

TekunoRobby said:
I kept pushing that they should add in some sort of free-roam mode.
Aye that's definitely something it would greatly benefit from.

Something a la ATV Offroad Fury.

That game was brilliant as my first PS2 game and how damn fun it was to rip around what was an incredible and awesome 3D environment.

I must of spent 90% of the +200 hours I must of played all in the pointless Free Roam mode. Just ripping around at high speeds, launching off of massive slopes, and simply enjoying the fun air-time and physics of the game.

TekunoRobby said:
Ok I'm tired as fuck and I wanted to get the info here ASAP since no one else seems to have remarked on it.

- There is no real-time deformation, that's all a parallax map

realtime geometry deformation 60fps.

sega rally revo Xbox 360, ps3 pc. :)
segarally10ln.jpg

Top Bottom