• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD [Official Review Thread]

Yagharek

If Golden Helmet is posting/lurking, hope you had some luck with the Australian classification. The old 2004/05 certificate it had was G8+, which is a defunct rating but that equates to PG.

Well, look at the bright side. They learned a real lesson last year about how to communicate with, and the expectation levels of PC gamers, so the extra 3 or so months could actually be used to benefit the PC version greatly. Hopefully the total opposite of Arkham City.
After the utter debacle last year, I don't have any faith.

kamspy

What a piece of shit developer.

Sell PC gamers broken game to fund development of the PSN version! Possibly maybe someday maybe port the HD version to PC!

Great business JAW. Can't wait to not buy your next game.

wwm0nkey

What a piece of shit developer.

Sell PC gamers broken game to fund development of the PSN version! Possibly maybe someday maybe port the HD version to PC!

Great business JAW. Can't wait to not buy your next game.

Except they fixed the PC version and the HD version is 100% coming to PC versions for free. I get the inintal anger at JAW but get over it all problems besides the ATI issues have been sorted out and the ATI issue is going to be fixed in the HD update.

Still patiently waiting on the PC version to get this update considering I bought the entire Oddworld pack more than a year ago and haven't been able to play it, seeing as:

A) At first, despite having hardware enough to run games like Crysis and whatnot, I could not run Stranger at a playable framerate.

and then

B) After upgrading my hardware later that year, still could not play Stranger as I upgraded to a Radeon GPU and apparently JAW nor ATi/AMD wanted to budge and fix anything so that the game would display properly.

And so, I've waited. And waited.

And waited...

JAW said that they didn't know whether it was happening, but they were not developing it. So theoretically, the game could find its way onto the 360, but it would be a port by someone else, and nothing has been announced so far.

Nah, if it comes to 360 we (JAW) will do it...

Currently the problems with getting it and/or Munch HD on the 360 are as follows ...

1. Stranger is 3.2GB on PS3, this will be reduced to 2.5GB in Feb. - So that's XBLA out the window, but we MAY be able to squeeze it to 2GB dead.

2. To qualify for G.O.D. You need to have sold 1m+ units at retail, Stranger XBox did around 480k :(

So as you can see, it's ot that we don't want to do it, it's the MS won't bend for us, saying that we have a conf call with them soon, to try and persuade them ;-)

Why do devs and publishers hate PC gaming so much? =(.

Because of the Piracy. If we had to rely on PC gaming only we would lose money hand over fist...

E.G. Recent BitTorrent figures show that both Assassins Creed: Rev and CoD (latest) we're pirated in excess of 3m times each!

So that's around 80% to 100% piracy rate JUST on the PC version :-/

Still patiently waiting on the PC version to get this update considering I bought the entire Oddworld pack more than a year ago and haven't been able to play it, seeing as:

A) At first, despite having hardware enough to run games like Crysis and whatnot, I could not run Stranger at a playable framerate.

and then

B) After upgrading my hardware later that year, still could not play Stranger as I upgraded to a Radeon GPU and apparently JAW nor ATi/AMD wanted to budge and fix anything so that the game would display properly.

And so, I've waited. And waited.

And waited...

As it stands, ATI DID fix one of the 2 issues in their OpenGL drivers, but refused to budge on the other (ZDepth issues) saying we were doing it wrong, so when we pointed out to them that the game ran perfectly on nVidia chipsets, AND that one of the basic OpenGL ZDepth examples you can find on the net didn't work, they stopped talking to us...

This is the same issue that Quake3 OpenGL drivers also has with ATI Drivers...

As it stands we are dropping OpenGL for the PC HD update in favour of DirectX, hence the 2-3 month wait ;)

R1CHO

As it stands, ATI DID fix one of the 2 issues in their OpenGL drivers, but refused to budge on the other (ZDepth issues) saying we were doing it wrong, so when we pointed out to them that the game ran perfectly on nVidia chipsets, AND that one of the basic OpenGL ZDepth examples you can find on the net didn't work, they stopped talking to us...

As it stands we are dropping OpenGL for the PC HD update in favour of DirectX, hence the 2-3 month wait ;)

What a bunch of spoiled idiots amd are... good to hear the DirectX update, keep up the good work!!

You couldn't have just written a "detect AMD GPU, enable workaround" exception? What's more important: sticking to standards or making sure your customers, who paid for your product over a year ago, can actually use it as intended? I know my answer.

Not that it should be an "either/or" scenario.

You couldn't have just written a "detect AMD GPU, enable workaround" exception? What's more important: sticking to standards or making sure your customers, who paid for your product over a year ago, can actually use it as intended? I know my answer.

Not that it should be an "either/or" scenario.

Have id fixed their code to work with ATI drivers? don't think so.

Top Bottom