• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2012 |OT| - Tablets and TVs and Tech...Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

The phone being waterproof out of the box is dramatically more interesting to me than being thin. I suspect all of the inputs must have a snap-enclosure built into them by default or a rubber insert...a bit cumbersome if that's the case, but still interesting.

def sim

Kinect is impressive when it works. I figured if these companies put enough R&D into the tech, we'd finally perfect the technology and have the futuristic televisions we deserve. So yeah, I'm down for that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kinect is impressive when it works. I figured if these companies put enough R&D into the tech, we'd finally perfect the technology and have the futuristic televisions we deserve. So yeah, I'm down for that.

I dunno, I just have a hard time seeing gestures and VRS being better then a remote control, that Minority Report shit looked impressive but was also clunky and kludgy as hell. It is like trying to say motion controls are better then a dual analog or a touchscreen is better then a mouse and keyboard. No, just no, a thousand times no.

RubxQub

Voice controls in general are clunky when it comes to this type of activity...but only when you think of it in terms of doing things that current remotes can already do.

"Change the channel up" is way less interesting than "Can I watch Mad Men right now?" and having it check live and streaming sources that you have access to and just instantly switching over to something that can play it if you can, or telling you it can't if it can't...or when it's playing later...or offer to record it later if you want it.

Voice is only cool when it's doing complex tasks. Same goes for gestures in my opinion. Navigating around on an XBox with your hands is idiotic. It isn't more efficient. It isn't easier. It doesn't do anything faster. Waste of time.

Asus officially announced the Transformer Prime TF700T with a 1080p screen and fixed GPS antenna.

The new Transformer Prime isn't sacrificing quality for quantity with its move to a much higher pixel density — its display is still made of the SuperIPS+ stuff that impressed us so much when reviewing the TF201. Another highly significant upgrade is in the tablet's rear cover design, which has been altered to allow for better GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth performance. Great for new buyers, to be sure, but we wonder how happy owners of the current-gen Prime will be with this news.

Android 4.01 will be the shipping OS on the Transformer Prime TF700T, which should cost between $599 and $699 when it hits North American shelves in the second quarter of 2012. Compatibility with the TF201's keyboard dock is retained, as are most of the internal components, including the 1.3GHz quad-core Tegra 3 system-on-chip. Onboard storage on the new Prime will be either 32GB or 64GB, depending on your preference. The only other notable step-up for the slate is in the front-facing camera, which has been upgraded from 1.2 to 2 megapixels.

Asus hasn't provided us with pictures of its new high-res tablet just yet, but we'll get those to you as soon we can.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/9/26...r-prime-tf700t-1920-x-1200-android-4-ces-2012

I thought the OG TP came out like two weeks ago?

RubxQub

What is it with RC helicopters lately? They've become all the rage in the past year or so.

Yeah, I have no idea. I pretty much have next to no desire to fly a helicopter...with phone controller or otherwise.

They're neat, I'll give them that. The ones with vertical takeoff and all look cool...but the utility is pretty much non-existant isn't it?

def sim

I dunno, I just have a hard time seeing gestures and VRS being better then a remote control, that Minority Report shit looked impressive but was also clunky and kludgy as hell. It is like trying to say motion controls are better then a dual analog or a touchscreen is better then a mouse and keyboard. No, just no, a thousand times no.

Voice for everything, simple gestures for changing channels would be great if perfected.

I don't understand the comparison to video game controls. The most complex thing we do with a remote control is push buttons at a slow pace, I can see how that can be replaced in 5 years.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Voice for everything, simple gestures for changing channels would be great if perfected.

I don't understand the comparison to video game controls. The most complex thing we do with a remote control is push buttons at a slow pace, I can see how that can be replaced in 5 years.

Well ,that is kind of the rub, VRS is among one of the most unrefined techs I have ever seen, also gesturing through menu after menu after menus is not going to be as fast as pushing a bunch of buttons. More to the point, this set-up kind of goes against the grain of what a remote control does already, the lazy factor, if you will.

Well ,that is kind of the rub, VRS is among one of the most unrefined techs I have ever seen, also gesturing through menu after menu after menus is not going to be as fast as pushing a bunch of buttons. More to the point, this set-up kind of goes against the grain of what a remote control does already, the lazy factor, if you will.
Why would you cycle through menus when you can just say the name of whatever you want to watch?

Kinect gesture control is mostly a gimmick for menu navigation. It's definitely much more usable with the current dashboard, but it certainly isn't quicker than a controller. Voice control on the other hand is quicker. It's my main way of navigating 360 content now, even if I have a controller in my hand and it's quicker for selecting most things, aside from the default highlighted option which just requires a single button press.

It's not coming for another 6 months--roughly the same amount of time between the first and second transformers. This isn't like the Bionic and the Razr.

"Second quarter" could be April, could be July. Still surprised that they announced it so early.

gcubed

well hey, if they want to bring back one failed 70s technology (3D), lets just go all out. Motion and voice controls for a TV are a fun for the 30 seconds of "look what i can do" and then thats it. It doesnt fit in to broadcast TV watching. Apple at least sorta has the right angle in that they need to change the way watching TV works.

VIZIO PC line.....
viziofamilyf3.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/vizio-officially-introduces-pc-line/

PR
Vizio said:
VIZIO Bursts Into the Computing Realm with Five Innovative and Sleek PCs Set to Redefine Consumer Entertainment

Irvine, CA and (CES) Las Vegas, Nevada -- January 9, 2012 -- VIZIO, America's #1 LCD HDTV Company*, announced today an innovative line of five premium personal computers designed to turn the PC market upside down and accommodate the entertainment needs and wants demanded by consumers. Set to launch with Windows 7 in spring 2012, the elegantly designed PCs will provide an entertainment experience only VIZIO can deliver, complete with top notch 2.1 audio and video quality. The personal computing line consists of two all-in-one computers, two thin + light notebooks and one notebook. VIZIO's line was developed to raise the bar in personal and home entertainment while also keeping powerful performance at the forefront.

Much like its entrance into the HDTV category nearly a decade ago, VIZIO believes it has identified a need in the PC world for a device that addresses a recent change in consumer behavior. Growing popularity in video streaming services has resulted in the need for personal computers that can stream content for a family movie night and put together an important business presentation the following day. The VIZIO PCs address this change by meeting both the entertainment and productivity demands.

VIZIO PCs will be a continued progression of the VIZIO Internet Apps (V.I.A.) Ecosystem, which provides a seamless, cohesive entertainment experience across multiple screens. As the V.I.A. experience spans across the brand's HDTVs, Blu-Ray players, tablets and more, today's announcement represents a natural extension of the experience over to the PC as well. Together with Windows, VIZIO's PCs will deliver power, mobility and familiar ease of use, ensuring a fast, fluid and immersive user experience that distinguishes them from devices that function and those that are truly entertaining.

"PCs are often associated with productivity and the workplace, routinely lacking the excitement that would be expected with what and how consumers want to use their PCs today – as an extension of their entertainment experience," said Matt McRae, Chief Technology Officer. "VIZIO wanted to change that. Our new line of VIZIO PCs are truly high quality and consumer focused, delivering enhanced multimedia capabilities while upholding our high standards of performance, style and design."

Complete with high-performance hardware, the VIZIO PCs boast a clean system image optimized by Microsoft and an elegant industrial design incorporating authentic, high-quality materials that is sure to turn heads both on-the-go and in the living room. Known for HDTVs that boast stunning high-definition pictures, VIZIO engineered its new line of PCs to meet the same high-quality standards.

Always committed to pushing the envelope, VIZIO believes their groundbreaking PCs will alter the way consumers view computing. With entertainment at the heart of the VIZIO PCs, users will find that consuming content will be just as desirable as on their HDTV. With an already high demand for devices that are able to multitask between work and play, the consumer's choices are limited. VIZIO accepted the challenge and has elegantly bridged both worlds to provide a Windows-based PC that offers a rich entertainment experience alongside tools needed for getting work done.

"We're excited to see VIZIO enter the PC market and the positive impact they will have on the Windows ecosystem," said Steven Guggenheimer, CVP OEM Division, Microsoft. "With their expertise in providing connected entertainment experiences and an innovative go-to-market approach, we look forward to working with VIZIO to bring premium consumer PCs to market."

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
That trackpad looks glorious. So flat! *please have palm rejection*
"Second quarter" could be April, could be July. Still surprised that they announced it so early.

Given Asus's track record which do you think is likely :|. They announced it 'early' because it's CES (the first Transformer was announced here too). Not every company can be an Apple that announces a product and gets it on Best Buy shelves within two weeks.

Wow@ those Vizio PC's. Wow @ the new design direction of PC's and notebooks/ultrabooks in general. That beeing said, as much as I love Windows 8, I just don't see that color clusterfuck matching the new slick designs of ultrabooks and PC's.

Btw, 10k for that TV is much cheaper than I expected. Last year I saw a 15" OLED screen beeing sold for that price...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's not coming for another 6 months--roughly the same amount of time between the first and second transformers. This isn't like the Bionic and the Razr.

Yeah but it's still kinda shitty that they shipped the prime with broken 3G, and this is their "fix"

dem

lol at people surprised at 10k

Give it a few years. How much do you think Plasma tv's were when they came out?

Did you really think OLED tvs were going to just plop into the market in line with LCD and Plasma?

Divvy

This is really cool, if only to store in your car's glove compartment in case of emergencies

k5DDs.jpg

If your car's broken down, nursing your smartphone's short battery life can be a real nightmare when waiting for rescue. Of course, that might not be much of a problem if Xpal Power (the company behind Energizer and PowerSkin) has anything to do with it. It's developed the SpareOne, a super-cheap phone that runs from a single AA Battery and will reputedly maintain its charge for up to fifteen years. The dual-band GSM phone is designed for emergencies, transmitting its location alongside its call ID, or as a loaner phone for big corporate events. You'll get an Energizer AA battery and a microSIM in the bundle which will set you back $49.99 when it arrives at some point this quarter. At that price, we can imagine throwing a few in the trunk for breakdowns, when we're doing our Bear Grylls routine, or during the Robopocalypse.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/spareone-15-year-cellphone/

def sim

well hey, if they want to bring back one failed 70s technology (3D), lets just go all out. Motion and voice controls for a TV are a fun for the 30 seconds of "look what i can do" and then thats it. It doesnt fit in to broadcast TV watching. Apple at least sorta has the right angle in that they need to change the way watching TV works.

I think the problem here is that some of you are seeing these techs as they are now and never progressing. I don't like 3D content right now but I'm interested in the glassless variation that are exclusive to those ridiculously priced sets coming out soon. In a couple of years it'll be affordable and, maybe, completely eliminate the disorienting effect it has on people like me. Same with motion and VRS. I feel like people are attaching them to Kinect which is greatly hindered by the console it runs with; the Xbox 360. The tech itself is impressive and opens up many possibilities, which is why there is a separate SDK out for it without the Xbox branding.

big_z

lol at people surprised at 10k

Give it a few years. How much do you think Plasma tv's were when they came out?

Did you really think OLED tvs were going to just plop into the market in line with LCD and Plasma?

it's going to take more than a few years. it took plasma a good 10 to get to where it is today price wise and in todays market people buy budget priced tvs. to these consumers oled offers nothing worth the high price. it's going to take a long time for oled to become affordable unless they can find a way to phase lcd out and move oled in without affecting prices much.

Divvy

How are Vizio televisions? I've never used one before, but I thought they were a budget brand.

jagowar

Don't suppose vizio is going to have a live stream (same for nokia later today)?

Really interested to see what both and have and as nice as the pictures are you get a much better idea on video.

How are Vizio televisions? I've never used one before, but I thought they were a budget brand.

I really like mine. I think they're starting to move away from being a budget brand (which they undoubtedly were a few years ago) to being a little more prestigious.

RubxQub

Don't think this has been posted yet.

Tested's feed is here:

Tested suite:

http://media.tested.com/uploads/0/5/33337-bts_suite1.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.tested.com/profile/norman/all-images/51-5/tested_ces_2012/50-33198/"]Tested CES Wallpaper[/URL][/QUOTE]

Just got this updated to the OP now when I got the RSS notification :P

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why would you cycle through menus when you can just say the name of whatever you want to watch?
Because most of the time you don't know what you want to watch.
I ended up watching the mechanic last night, but until I scrolled through my movies I had no inclination to watch it at all. I wasn't even necessarily going to watch a movie.
Voice has its uses, but the remote is still the best option for scrolling through lists of things.

gcubed

Not bad at all. They have solid TV's full of features....I heard nothing but good things about them. Not sure about the PQ department.

they are a very very good general purpose TV for an affordable price. They are slowly starting to try to make a higher end model, not sure how close they are coming yet

Blackhead

Redarse
This is really cool, if only to store in your car's glove compartment in case of emergencies

k5DDs.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/spareone-15-year-cellphone/

Interesting idea. I would buy that in a second if it could handle phonecalls and text messages properly. There has been little innovation in the feature phone department. Not every user wants to play music and browse the web. I still have my motofone although i can't find the charger :/

Kraftwerk

The VIZIO Pc's are fucking sexy. I hope the build quality is good. Also, the trackpad looks good, hopefully it works good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom