• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not limited to hardware discussion. Anything that comes out related to the Wii U can be placed here. Any Wii U discussions you want to have can be held here. Obviously if something comes out that is very concrete, it should definitely get its own thread.

Countdown to E3 2012
t1338922800z4.png

Countdown to Game Developers Conference
t1330992000z4.png

Will update OP.

Wii U:
  • User accounts: Wii U will have individual user accounts, rather than one system-wide account.
  • NFC: Near Field Communication ("touch" data transmission from accessories, credit cards, etc... sort of like QR/Streetpass combined) will be built-in.
  • Online: Miyamoto: "Network has to have a totally new concept to be different."

General:
  • Third parties: Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.
  • Communities: You haven't seen the last of them!
  • Retail title downloads: 3DS and Wii U both support digital download of retail titles, but... they still aren't quite sure how to implement it just yet.
  • Item billing: "We should not decline third parties if they want to offer item billing" (paying to unlock content).
  • DLC: Still planning to offer DLC (possibly talking about their own software), but needs more time to complete its feasibility study on the market and its needs.
  • More sharing: "Digital will include user to user communications and sharing" (More social networking integration? More Swapnote-like apps? More emphasis on Streetpass/Spotpass?).
  • Better-paced software + DLC: Nintendo has learnt that it shouldn't have stagnant periods between software launches: can fill the gap, and DLC can extend the life of a title.
  • Asia: Planning products for Asia, local partners (WiiQue U?) yet to be announced; still issues of copyright.
  • Miyamoto still around, Iwata angry at Wired. "Miyamoto is saying his basic work is to create a big hit."

Thank you Michan for the summary.

Fredrik

139 days of torture

When can we expect the next bit of info from Nintendo? I've heard GDC in the other thread. When's that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guys my source told me they ported Halo ODST to the Wii U as a test and they had to make the textures blurry and AI dumb cos the Wii U cant handle the same graphics as the Xbox 360 apparently it is a Wii with some shaders I dunno it might be true it might not what do you guys think?

139 days remain.

And between now and then we have to convince ourselves Nintendo isn't going to go for a higher end GPU part.

Really hope they upgraded the components....

crossing fingers for half a year, let's do this!!!!!!!

Guys my source told me they ported Halo ODST to the Wii U as a test and they had to make the textures blurry and AI dumb cos the Wii U cant handle the same graphics as the Xbox 360 apparently it is a Wii with some shaders I dunno it might be true it might not what do you guys think?

Seems legit. Nenteendo can't win the kardcorz with kiddy gaffics.

sounds legit

Fantastical

Death Prophet

My dad works at Nintendo and he said that Wii U is going to be more powerful than a super computer. What are your sources?

wsippel

Banned
Guys my source told me they ported Crysis 2 to the Wii U as a test and it ran smooth as fuck with great graphics cos the Wii U is more powerful than Xbox360 I dunno maybe I made that up what du you guys think?

Christine

Wii with some shaders? I thought it was a tablet controller; they already missed the bus by not releasing in 2011. Of course that was already too late for the Wii, but who's going to care about an un-bundled accessory for a dead console in 2012?

Lol yeah, if you don't want to be able to comfortably grip the controller.

There is still more than enough room. I mean, if the original is comfortable like this:

480px-Nintendo-wii-u-controller-back.jpg

And my mock up only takes out some of the space in between those fingers, then it should be fine. Actually, I'll study that a bit and get back to you.

How are you supposed to use the D-Pad and face buttons that way?

The same way you normally do? I don't understand why it would be any different.

NOTE: I don't really care about the size. I'm just having fun messing with the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom