• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1st 3DS game to offer paid DLC is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy now ?!

neo2046

the dummy box says it supports Nintendo Network and DLC are needed to pay

http://twitter.com/#!/joshua_x_/status/160345260759859200
IZEoD.jpg

>‎※3 追加コンテンツは有料サービスとなります。
yoPVZ.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We already knew about DLC in Theatrhythm, but the Nintendo Network logo is something new.

chri5t

I really hate the eyes of all the characters. It really makes them look lifeless and without personality.

snap0212

Isn't this the game 8-4 said is ridiculously overpriced? I remember hearing that someone said it was more like a $10 download game than a full price retail one... Now on top of the high price of the game they want additional money for DLC?

Well, the game will have at least 39 songs as far as we know, which is not so bad for a rhythm'n'game. If a bunch of new songs will cost few euroes, I can live with that.

Roto13

Isn't this the game 8-4 said is ridiculously overpriced for the amount of content it offers? Now on top of the high price of the game they want additional money for DLC?

I'm not sure how much content the game has, but Squenix games are hilariously expensive in Japan. Unless they bring their DS Squenix tax over to the 3DS (which they very well might) it will be $40, which might be fair. I dunno, though.

I don't mind DLC if it's a complete game without it. Japanese companies are terrible at DLC though.

EDIT:

Well, the game will have at least 39 songs as far as we know, which is not so bad for a rhythm'n'game. If a bunch of new songs will cost few euroes, I can live with that.
39 songs for $40 is fine with me. If I like the game and the DLC is priced fairly, I wouldn't be opposed to buying more songs.

Isn't this the game 8-4 said is ridiculously overpriced? I remember hearing that someone said it was more like a $10 download game than a full price retail one... Now on top of the high price of the game they want additional money for DLC?

Opinions.
I paid full price for games like EBA and Rhythm Heaven. From TGS and demo impressions, THEATRHYTHM is a nice game, full of fanservice and a lot of contents.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, there's an investor meeting next week. And January is usually such a good month for announcements from Nintendo! :D

P.S. The second game to use NN will be Dynasty Warriors Vs. , I'm so sure of this :lol

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo Network?
Well, Nintendo founded a new team called NSD, or Network Service Development, back in 2008. What we have on 3DS so far doesn't look like it required a new, dedicated team to develop, and a sane company would most likely want to integrate 3DS and WiiU online, so Nintendo Network might be a new, unified system. Or it's just the same old shit with a new logo. We'll know soon enough.

The Nintendo Network logo is kinda nifty, but I hope it ultimately means a bit more like a service like Steam or Live rather than just a rebrand of the old Nintendo Wi-Fi stuff.

Bullza2o

Yes, there's an investor meeting next week. And January is usually such a good month for announcements from Nintendo! :D

P.S. The second game to use NN will be Dynasty Warriors Vs. , I'm so sure of this :lol
Awesome, I'll mark this on my calendar. The logo seems better than WFC, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
...and as we've seen at the investor meeting, NoA Customer Services know jack shit (or aren't allowed to pass it on even if they do)...

;-)

...but they were right? Nintendo Network isn't just WFC under a different name - that's what NOA said, that's what Iwata said at the meeting, there's no conflict here.

Played both demos, like the gameplay, but hate the art style. Pricing this at 6090 yen is NUTS, not to mention paid DLC.

No thanks.

B.K.

DLC info:

On launch day, February 16, Square Enix will release eight songs. Each song can be purchased for ¥150.

The list of paid songs reads:

FFII Battle Scene 1 (Battle Stage)
FFIV The Final Battle (Battle Stage)
FFIX Fighters of the Crystal (Battle Stage)
FFXIII Fighting Fate (Battle Stage)
FFV Hikari wo Motomete (Field Stage)
FFVII Cosmo Canyon (Field Stage)
FFVIII Ride On (Field Stage)
FFX Someday The Dream Will End (Field Stage)

(The "Field" and "Battle" marker indicate the type of stage the music is used in. The game also has "Event" stages.)

Square Enix plans on releasing new songs every two or three weeks. While the first batch consists entirely of music from numbered FF games, there will be music from non numbered games as well.

http://andriasang.com/comzwa/theatrhythm_paid_dlc/

Also, Square Enix's check cleared. Famitsu gave the game 10, 9, 9, 8.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Opinions.
I paid full price for games like EBA and Rhythm Heaven. From TGS and demo impressions, THEATRHYTHM is a nice game, full of fanservice and a lot of contents.

The JP price at the time we talked about it would have come to around $70USD.

Too expensive.

Ouch at that much DLC on the launch date.

Still, if the game is actually good, I can pick and choose only the I-VI stuff and be happy.

...but they were right? Nintendo Network isn't just WFC under a different name - that's what NOA said, that's what Iwata said at the meeting, there's no conflict here.

Ah - just reread your comment. It's a bit ambiguous - I took it to mean "someone from NoA said that it (being a service along the lines of Steam) wasn't the case", but it could be read the other way.

fernoca

So, 6090 yen + 8 x 150 yen = 7290 yen, or $94.92 @ 76.8 yen/dollar.
Well, is not like people need to purchase the DLC in order to play the game. :p

Japanese games are always more expensive, comparatively, to the West (except maybe Oceania). Plus, the most expensive I've seen this game 'selling' for in my local shops is 5470 yen, cheapest about 5200.
That too.
Depending on if there's "the tax" in the US, the game will be $40 plus $1 per song; which totals to $48 at launch (if said person buys the game an every DLC-song at launch).

Plus for a music-themed game; it is good that there's DLC on day one. The main thing would be if there's DLC a year from now, but guess that might depend on the game's success.

Haha, Square-Enix is treating Theatrhythm like it's Rock Band. Amazing.

I can't wait to spend a hundred dollars on a game most people agree should be a 5-10 dollar iPhone/eShop game! Actually, the Ridge Racer Vita model of charging little for it and then letting people add on via DLC is a cool idea for this game... but it's Square.

Ronian

Neo Member
Japanese games are always more expensive, comparatively, to the West (except maybe Oceania). Plus, the most expensive I've seen this game 'selling' for in my local shops is 5470 yen, cheapest about 5200.

What? New HD games are 60 to 70 Euro in mainland Europe. But yeah, for handheld games that is expensive. 3DS games are 45 Euro here. US is the cheapest region I think..

What? New HD games are 60 to 70 Euro in mainland Europe. But yeah, for handheld games that is expensive. 3DS games are 45 Euro here. US is the cheapest region I think..

Sorry, you're right, I should have written America instead of the west.
Americans don't realise or appreciate just how cheap gaming is for them, as a general rule (other factors are involved, like minimum wage, market size, etc, I know).

DR2K

Banned
All this content would have been on the cart for free had it not been for this service.

Top Bottom