• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Depends on the game and the tournament rules. At Evo for example, DLC characters were banned for Mortal Kombat, but not for Blazblue or Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Fair enough.

Of course, much of the practice comes from playing with friends. It's not uncommon to throw down at a buddies house only to discover that the DLC character you may have been playing isn't available on their system. For me, at least, that would kill any interest I would have in using a DLC character.

V_Arnold

Fair enough.

Of course, much of the practice comes from playing with friends. It's not uncommon to throw down at a buddies house only to discover that the DLC character you may have been playing isn't available on their system. For me, at least, that would kill any interest I would have in using a DLC character.

If you are playing a fighting game even semi-seriously, this is not even an issue as it does not matter if that character is available in your buddies house or not, as you will spend most of your time in training mode or online playing, or playing with other serious players who have the DLC. Daily trainings will not come from parties at other's houses anyway, or if it does, well...consider yourself lucky. Or buy a DLC for that friend of yours. :p

Depends on the game and the tournament rules. At Evo for example, DLC characters were banned for Mortal Kombat, but not for Blazblue or Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
They were only banned because the release date didn't give people enough time to become acclimated with them before the tournament, not because DLC is inherently anti-competitive. If SoulCalibur V has DLC and it's released at least three months before EVO it'll be allowed.

FinKL

Can't wait, got the CE and regular preordered until I figure out which 1 I want to cancel from amazon.

Will try Pyrrha and Viola.

Definitely with you on this one. Wouldn't be picking up the game were it not for Viola personally. Everything about the Soul series has impressed me from a presentation point of view and I'm very much looking forward to jumping into this as my first serious venture into 3D fighters.

7 days!
Viola and Hilde are my reasons. She looked cool in SCIV, but the game burned out fast and they both look pretty cool to me so far.

iNvid02

ahh i cant buy this yet, need to focus on backlog
LLShC.gif

Zomba13

Decided to preorder this from shopto as it seemed the best deal. It was around £37 everywhere but £40ish on shopto and came with bobble head things and character art card things which seemed worth it for like £3 more and it will probably come a day before release.
<3 the Soul Calibur games.

Skilletor

DLC is such a bad idea for a game like this, though. These games are meant to be played on any console for tournament play (or even just playing with buddies). Having to deal with anything external would ruin that.

DLC characters would pretty much become disqualified as a result.

There hasn't been a major fighting game released recently without characters as DLC.

iNvid02

Fighting games are the most backlog friendly games.

not for me, i tend to stick with one game for a long time, jumping in and out would not be an option

plus i just know its gonna be cut by 50% in price in a few months, its the UK retail market

OSHAN

not for me, i tend to stick with one game for a long time, jumping in and out would not be an option

plus i just know its gonna be cut by 50% in price in a few months, its the UK retail market

You'll buy it and you'll like it! (On your shelf.)

HYPED! Got the Collector's Edition preordered at BB, because I'm a shameless whore like that.

Has there been any impressions on the Hori stick?

TDLink

Re: The Devil Jin tournament legality we were talking about at the end of the last topic, I think thedarkphoenix on 8wayrun put it the best way:

http://8wayrun.com/threads/demon-souls-soul-of-devil-jin-general-discussion.9742/page-4#post-377403

thedarkphoenix said:
Honestly this isn't a big as of a deal as your all making it out to be. Usually I'm against this type of stuff, but clearly this play style was ment for competitive play as stated by the producer himself.

Couple of points

If it was suppose to be a play style why not just make a new character?

The competitivecommunity crapped on the added characters every single game, but the have been a major success casually they could effectively kill two birds with one stone. Instead of adding a new "King of Iron Fist character" which would anger the Soul calibur fans, they added the style.

It'll take to much time to setup

Not true at all, for the most part it would be a one time deal, usually those that support there scene with systems for tournaments are the ones that ALWAYS bring there system for tournaments. So at max you have might have to create it 3-4 times max at tournament. Once the default male is chosen with the default outfit your good to go on that system for all tournaments to come

If you think your going to having people tweaking characters in order to win matches the you have a much bigger problem within your community than wanting to Ban this CAS. Not only that I would be pretty obvious if some person ALWAYS wanted to play on a particular system no matter what.

It's more trouble than its worth

This is what makes me the most upset, this is a huge potential series bridge, sure it was possible in two, for PS2 users. But this is a "new age of heroes" (where my marvel heads at) There are more people playing fighters than ever now, and what you do will set the standard for the future of this game.

If I allow one I have to allow all

No you don't as tournament organizers the standard rules are LAW just because one CAS is allowed doesn't mean they all have to be. Its just as simple as the pre-created default male DJ CAS is the only one allowed.

OSHAN

HYPED! Got the Collector's Edition preordered at BB, because I'm a shameless whore like that.

Has there been any impressions on the Hori stick?

From the website:

ps3main.jpg

ps3_image.jpg

http://stores.horiusa.com/-strse-137/SOULCALIBUR-V-Stick-for/Detail.bok

Important parts:

Stick: JLF-TP-8YT-SK(Sanwa)

Buttons: (Circle,X,Triangle,Square,L1,L2,R1,R2) OBSF-30(Sanwa)

I have this stick and button combination at home. No complaints. I have two already but may pick this stick up because I think it looks fantastic. We'll see.

Even though I am looking forward to this game, it does kind of bum me out that I know it won't be as good as SC2 (GC version) was at the time. Can't beat Link as a guest character and Weapon Master mode was so sweet. Also no silly character customization, which always looked goofy in my opinion.

Skilletor

Even though I am looking forward to this game, it does kind of bum me out that I know it won't be as good as SC2 (GC version) was at the time. Can't beat Link as a guest character and Weapon Master mode was so sweet. Also no silly character customization, which always looked goofy in my opinion.

It's funny that you commend link and condemn CaS for looking goofy in the span of one post.

Important parts:

Stick: JLF-TP-8YT-SK(Sanwa)

Buttons: (Circle,X,Triangle,Square,L1,L2,R1,R2) OBSF-30(Sanwa)

I have this stick and button combination at home. No complaints. I have two already but may pick this stick up because I think it looks fantastic. We'll see.
Awesome. I think I'll wait to hear more impressions, but I really do like the layout of that stick.

Yeah, I've sort of given up on SC returning to II's glory, but I still get excited for every new release. I would love to see SS's Link show up in a SC as a guest, haha. At least Ezio makes sense.

vg260

ahh i cant buy this yet, need to focus on backlog
LLShC.gif

Same here. So tempted, but I'm still learning UMvC3 characters.

The $10 Amazon offer might push me over, but it would probably sit and be $10 off somewhere before I got to put some time into it.

Aeonin

I'm considering holding off on this game for the lack of SP content. I don't have roomies who are serious about SC - so the Weapon Master mode was a great way to experience SC. This game doesn't seem to have anything remotely close to a full fledged SP mode. Its crazy because CaS characters should be easier now than ever to create and add interesting buffs/nerfs/constraints to. But Namco just doesn't do it.

I'm hoping for a SCV: Special Edition - now with SP content.

It's funny that you commend link and condemn CaS for looking goofy in the span of one post.
Allow me to submit some evidence.

Link:

Soul%20Calibur%202%20Link.gif

I'll admit he looks a little out of place with the rest of the cast, but I wouldn't ever go so far as to call him goofy.

Now, a medley of created characters:

SheHulk_288x288.jpg

Mario_288x288.jpg

Leonidas_288x288.jpg

RonaldMcDonald.jpg

I rest my case.

TDLink

I'm considering holding off on this game for the lack of SP content. I don't have roomies who are serious about SC - so the Weapon Master mode was a great way to experience SC. This game doesn't seem to have anything remotely close to a full fledged SP mode. Its crazy because CaS characters should be easier now than ever to create and add interesting buffs/nerfs/constraints to. But Namco just doesn't do it.

I'm hoping for a SCV: Special Edition - now with SP content.

Weapon master hasn't existed since SCII. It was a great mode and it is a shame they stopped putting it in the games, but it isn't like this is the first time. Additionally, there is still plenty of single player content. Best character creator and training mode in the series aside there is still a full fledged story mode, arcade mode, quick battle mode, and boss rush mode.

They were only banned because the release date didn't give people enough time to become acclimated with them before the tournament, not because DLC is inherently anti-competitive. If SoulCalibur V has DLC and it's released at least three months before EVO it'll be allowed.
Oh yeah, good point.

Everyone buy DRIVE!

Anyway, very nice OP, attractive, all the information is there, but it's not too busy. Although I'm not sure what the thread title is referring to, other than street fighter II Guile.

I would have pre-ferred Soul Calibur V l OT l 100% Star Wars Free.

OSHAN

Thread title is amazing.

Guard Impacts require meter now?

The timing of this is fairly strict, and instead of interrupting your opponent - as was the case previously - Just Guard lets you relive those Third Strike moments by parrying the individual hits of a sustained assault. Successful deflections will also bag you valuable metre in the new Critical Gauge. This can then be spent on three different manoeuvres, including a revised Guard Impact that no longer distinguishes between high and low attacks.

Tap the block button at just the right moment and you'll be rewarded with a blue flash. Otherwise, it's hurting time.

The other Critical Gauge systems are more offence-orientated and require a fully charged bar to perform. The Critical Edge supers are the more beginner-friendly of the two, ranging from Astaroth using a command grab to drill the opponent into the curb to Nightmare throwing out a special Guard Impact, which, if interrupted, sees him bringing down Soul Edge with enough force to make your opponent less mash-happy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-19-soulcalibur-5-preview

Actually the main problem I have with CaS was (at least in SC4), it seemed one costume per character was made specially for them (and looked really good) and one costume was made in CaS (and the quality just wasn't there).

Hi. Let's be friends.

Playing as Link in Soul Calibur II was probably the greatest video game moment for me.

soulcalibur210.jpg

SCII.jpg

The first character I completely mastered. And definitely my favorite game of all time. Not to mention best logo in the series.

Soul_Calibur_II_logo.jpg

<3

But yes, I will buy this game. It reminds me quite a bit of SC1 and 2, and the lack of Star Wars is definitely refreshing. DAY ONE

Top Bottom