• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmj

So... this is the new Reach thread? I'm very late to the Reach party, and I'm not having a very good time. Part of it is that I'm just not a fan of all of the additions they made to modern Halo, but I found ODST to be a lot better than this. On the flip side though, I'm surprised at how good it looks most of the time. From the way some people speak about this game I was expecting a lot worse.

I'm sure my issues have been discussed ad nauseam already, but the weirdest one I think is how the game does checkpoints. It has happened that it doesn't checkpoint me for a long time, and when I die I have to replay a good amount. But then when I replay, it checkpoints normally along the way. More often than that, though, checkpoints are too frequent, and in inappropriate places. Sometimes in a protracted battle it'll checkpoint me multiple times, right in the middle of the battle, and a few times I've felt like I was digging myself deeper and deeper by wasting resources and not making any headway while the game is unhelpfully checkpointing that lack of progress. Every time there's a big battle I'm afraid of fucking up and then be punished by a checkpoint. Other times after I've done something good, I loiter around, doing nothing, in hopes of a checkpoint.

A question, if I may. I think I'm almost finished with the Pillar of Autumn level, I'm at the spot where you have to clear a landing zone for... something or other. I haven't paid any attention to the story. I don't see how I can possibly beat the 6-ish brutes, one with roughly a trillion health and shields, with the (lack of) weapons I currently have and I think I may have to lower the difficulty in order to move on. Do you have to play the entire chapter in one go on legendary for it to count?

What I'd like to do, if this works, is to lower the difficulty so that I can finish the level, and then later change the difficulty back to legendary and continue from the last checkpoint of the chapter. If I do that, would the entire chapter be certified as being finished on legendary?

Overdoziz

Banned
So... this is the new Reach thread? I'm very late to the Reach party, and I'm not having a very good time. Part of it is that I'm just not a fan of all of the additions they made to modern Halo, but I found ODST to be a lot better than this. On the flip side though, I'm surprised at how good it looks most of the time. From the way some people speak about this game I was expecting a lot worse.

I'm sure my issues have been discussed ad nauseam already, but the weirdest one I think is how the game does checkpoints. It has happened that it doesn't checkpoint me for a long time, and when I die I have to replay a good amount. But then when I replay, it checkpoints normally along the way. More often than that, though, checkpoints are too frequent, and in inappropriate places. Sometimes in a protracted battle it'll checkpoint me multiple times, right in the middle of the battle, and a few times I've felt like I was digging myself deeper and deeper by wasting resources and not making any headway while the game is unhelpfully checkpointing that lack of progress. Every time there's a big battle I'm afraid of fucking up and then be punished by a checkpoint. Other times after I've done something good, I loiter around, doing nothing, in hopes of a checkpoint.

A question, if I may. I think I'm almost finished with the Pillar of Autumn level, I'm at the spot where you have to clear a landing zone for... something or other. I haven't paid any attention to the story. I don't see how I can possibly beat the 6-ish brutes, one with roughly a trillion health and shields, with the (lack of) weapons I currently have and I think I may have to lower the difficulty in order to move on. Do you have to play the entire chapter in one go on legendary for it to count?

What I'd like to do, if this works, is to lower the difficulty so that I can finish the level, and then later change the difficulty back to legendary and continue from the last checkpoint of the chapter. If I do that, would the entire chapter be certified as being finished on legendary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Davbc0bqvWs

MrBig

with the (lack of) weapons I currently have and I think I may have to lower the difficulty in order to move on. Do you have to play the entire chapter in one go on legendary for it to count?

There is a hidden ammo box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3MqPM7ynqFo#t=42s

You cannot change the difficulty while in progress, and you must restart the level.

I actually know exactly what you mean, and surprisingly the checkpoints haven't been one of the main arguments here. There are a couple of things you can do for the last brutes. First off: try and get a good checkpoint where you're safe, stay on Legendary. Don't give up. Use that checkpoint to run around the area and look for weapons of interest: headshot weapons, in particular the Needle Rifle, are your best bet. It only takes three shots to kill an unshielded Brute provided they don't Armor Lock. If none are around, run around behind the main building with the health and armor abilities. Look to the left of the two "wired windows;" it's kind of hard to describe. Punch the wall at a certain point, and an ammo box will fall out containing several DMRs and a Shotgun.

Try to avoid close-range combat, unless you have a very good window to assassinate the Brutes--it's nearly impossible to assassinate Chieftans (big, shielded ones with beards, and either heavy weapons or a hammer). Save your ammo for them. If there are just golden or even normal brutes left, try and use hologram to trick them into getting somewhere isolated. Then keep hologramming until you can assassinate them. Be SURE you only beat down, though, as the animation leaves you incredibly open to fire. The Chieftans may be tough, but Plasma Pistol ammo should be everywhere--not just for draining shields. As long as you have enough range to keep hiding, it can also be a deadly weapon just firing normally as long as you're fast with it.

Ultimately, if all else fails, just save and quit, and try in the morning. It'll feel like a lot less of a grind. Trust me, on my first legendary playthrough I spent about an hour trying to kill all the things and gave up, saved and quitted. Tried again when I woke up in the morning and did it in about 10 or 15 minutes. You're just getting fatigued trying to kill that much. Don't worry, it's completely understandable where you're coming from.

pmj

There is a hidden ammo box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3MqPM7ynqFo#t=42s

You cannot change the difficulty while in progress, and you must restart the level.

Oooh!

Sadly, I'm far from that building and where I'm checkpointed the brutes have already landed right where that stash is. But I think I may have to try to get there anyway.

Bummer about having to do the whole level again.

Oooh!

Sadly, I'm far from that building and where I'm checkpointed the brutes have already landed right where that stash is. But I think I may have to try to get there anyway.

the checkpoints are fine.

It ain't supposed to be easy son, so sack up, and kick some Covenant ass.

Oooh!

I'm assuming you got checkpointed where the dropship puts a whole bunch of Brutes (including a Chieftan with a Plasma Launcher) on top of that building. You're getting very close to being finished. While I can't really offer much else advice, just know that the platform that you enter that area from is your friend. There's a shielded piece of fencing that blocks Plasma Launcher shots that you can just barely shoot through. Go there and start spamming hologram back into their general area and try to get a few shots in. At the very least, you might luck out and have the Chieftan stick a few of his brute buddies up there, it's happened to me plenty.

FyreWulff

Halo: Anniversary made it fairly obvious how much the later Halo titles improved the checkpoint conditions/algorithms. So annoying to have to restart an entire level because you can't suicide out of a bad checkpoint.

Is it odd that i beat every Halo (with the exception of wars) on Solo Halo Legendary without much difficulty at all, Id consider myself of middle to middle upper tier at the game but honestly some of the things i read make it seem like im godlike, Checkpoints for example where never a issue, every battle encounter i had i was pretty much the top dog all the time, even Halo CE:A which alot of people complained about due to difficulty i had no real problems with at all, bar my insane quest to do Library Legendary under 30 mins no deaths.

No a stealth brag post just a curious question, Is halo really that hard a game? For me Mythic is the only real challenge and thats because of silly things like No shield recharge.

Hardest Legendary to easiest for me:

Halo 2 (I've never gotten past Delta Halo, and can't even escape the first room on Gravemind. Sometimes I die even before the cinematic black bars go away. JACKAL SNIPERS.)
Halo Reach ( Harder points, but doable)
Halo Wars ( SCREW YOU ARCADIA CITY)
Halo ODST (Difficult enough)
Halo 3 (Can skip a shitton of the game)
Halo 1 (Massively skippable, if you stand around long enough the Flood and Covenant in the second half of the game will thin each other out for you)

Is it odd that i beat every Halo (with the exception of wars) on Solo Halo Legendary without much difficulty at all, Id consider myself of middle to middle upper tier at the game but honestly some of the things i read make it seem like im godlike, Checkpoints for example where never a issue, every battle encounter i had i was pretty much the top dog all the time, even Halo CE:A which alot of people complained about due to difficulty i had no real problems with at all, bar my insane quest to do Library Legendary under 30 mins no deaths.

No a stealth brag post just a curious question, Is halo really that hard a game? For me Mythic is the only real challenge and thats because of silly things like No shield recharge.

Overdoziz

Banned

Truth and Reconciliation can be a bitch.
But yeah, most Halo games have maybe a few hard levels but are mostly not that hard. Even Halo 2 was surprisingly easy when I played through it on Legendary just recently.

Nope, definitely not stealthy at all.

pmj

Thanks for the advice, all. I've spent so much time here that the game has cleaned up almost all weapons dropped by enemies. There is, as far as I know, only a single energy pistol and a mostly full needler on the ground. I have nothing that works at range, except the pistols in the main bulding. The hidden weapons will come in handy if I can get to them, though!

Hiding hasn't seemed to work at all so far, as when you kill the first brute their scripting tells them to hunt me down. I can spend as much time as I want behind a rock, but as soon as they see me they all come running and after that they never let up.

As far as the difficulty goes, I finished Halo CE and ODST solo on legendary and I was never stuck this long, not even in the cargo bay on Truth and Reconciliation. In Halo 2 I gave up on the first level. I'm probably weaksauce.

Thanks for the advice, all. I've spent so much time here that the game has cleaned up almost all weapons dropped by enemies. There is, as far as I know, only a single energy pistol and a mostly full needler on the ground. I have nothing that works at range, except the pistols in the main bulding. The hidden weapons will come in handy if I can get to them, though!

Hiding hasn't seemed to work at all so far, as when you kill the first brute their scripting tells them to hunt me down. I can spend as much time as I want behind a rock, but as soon as they see me they all come running and after that they never let up.

As far as the difficulty goes, I finished Halo CE and ODST on solo on legendary and I was never stuck this long, not even in the cargo bay on Truth and Reconciliation. In Halo 2 I gave up on the first level. I'm probably weaksauce.

It took me a whole year to tackle solo legendary.

As far as the difficulty goes, I finished Halo CE and ODST solo on legendary and I was never stuck this long, not even in the cargo bay on Truth and Reconciliation. In Halo 2 I gave up on the first level. I'm probably weaksauce.

Brute AI can be... weird sometimes. One of the main things to prioritize is killing the Brutes when they're isolated, or at least make sure you can get somewhere safe as soon as you kill one. Eventually they'll stop being alert and go back to their regular "patrol" AI. Focus on getting that Needler, too. Don't bother using it on Chieftans, but the combine explosion should be enough to kill at least one Brute depending on how much ammo there is.

Gui_PT

5SsWR.gif

Hey gui....

That filthy whore bitch.

You know what? I'm going to do that thing again, this time with a giant wooden spoon.

I'll teach her to challenge me

pmj

Turns out brute AI is highly abusable around that building and its stairs, which is a good thing because no matter how many times I smacked that wall the gun box wouldn't fall out.

The secret to winning was to hide behind the stairs and shoot from the gap between the stairs and the building. They never circled around to kill me. Encounter finished.

Havok

Don't worry, it's just a shitty section of the game. There have been only a few great 'hold this position' sections in the series, and this is definitely not one of them.

Now do that section but LASO - this area is the only part of those runs that is really, truly painful for me.

blamite

So I was going for some Anniversary achievements the other day, and apparently for ones where you have to finish a level without doing something (don't kill any grunts, don't take health damage, etc.) you can't correct mistakes by reverting to the last checkpoint? That sucks. I made it 90% of the way through Two betrayals without killing a single grunt, but accidentally killed one in a turret, quickly went back to my checkpoint, and didn't get the achievement after finishing the level. Frustrating.

Can you get around these achievements by going through with someone in co-op and having them kill the grunts for you?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Should I set up my xbox and play with HaloGAF tonight?

Or Ocarina 3D?
Option C: Super Mario Land 3D and/or Mario Kart 7. I'm reallllly close to getting a 3DS cause of how awesome those games are.

3D Zelda sucks.

Except for Wind Waker.

Edit : I just checked the prices for the OoT bundle, and hooooly shit, $272 new on Amazon. I had no idea. I want that model so bad. I'd sell off OoT right away, of course. :p

kylej

Banned
You mean there's a thread with over 18,000 post about cartoon ponies?

That pony shit is way weirder than fapping to teenage Nickelodeon girls. If you're a grown ass man who watches cartoon pony tv shows designed for 8 year olds, you need to be on the Chris Hansen Registry for Creepy Assholes.

Ramirez

Should I set up my xbox and play with HaloGAF tonight?

Or Ocarina 3D?

No, Ocarina>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reach

I've played two Zelda games: Twilight Princess and the beginning of Ocarina. I stopped playing Twlight around the time where I had to solve a puzzle involving blocks of ice. I guess I got bored with the game. I stopped playing Ocarina because...well, I don't remember why.

Not leveling any criticisms at either game, mind you. I don't think they're for me.

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game. (And my favorite game of all time.) The dungeons might be a little easy, but the characters, setting and art style are phenomenal. Also, if you haven't watched Wind Waker in 1080p, do it.

Ramirez

WW, best Zelda ever? ugh, no.

You guys like waving your wand around constantly to change wind direction while sailing around a vast pointless ocean? GTFO!

Twilight Princess is my favorite boss fight ever, that last phase against gannondorf... just fucking, you him, the music, the lightning, it's just so... epic.

Honeslty I always thought the "Boss Fights" in Halo 2 and 3 were terrrrrrible.

Ramirez

Twilight Princess is my favorite boss fight ever, that last phase against gannondorf... just fucking, you him, the music, the lightning, it's just so... epic.

Honeslty I always thought the "Boss Fights" in Halo 2 and 3 were terrrrrrible.

What made CE so good was that there were no "bosses". I loved that, went against everything I had ever known about games up until that point. The Tartarus fight is probably the lowest the series has ever felt for me personally in campaign.

For the longest time the only Zelda I've completed was Link to the Past, but I owned all the console Zeldas after that up to Twilight Princess. I've only just started to chip away at that shameful Zelda backlog and recently beat Ocarina of Time. It definitely feels like a product of the time, 'cause a lot of the annoyance I had from it came from the plodding pace of movement and janky controls when going for Z-targeting.

It also had some stupid adventure game moments, like before the Fire Temple where the Goron City is completely empty except for one rolling kid and everything about the game is telling you to go to the top of the mountain to progress. There's nothing at the top for you to do, and going back to talk to the kid makes him tell you to go away because he suspects you're Ganon's henchman. So what do you have to do to make progress here? Bomb the fucking kid.

W3poJ.jpg

I will say that I do not understand how the Water Temple became infamous in that game, it was probably the least frustrating most straight-forward dungeon in the entire game.

I'll get around to Majora's eventually.

heckfu

Banned
I've played all console Zelda games since OoT (haven't beaten Skyward Sword yet) but Twilight Princess is my favorite so far. Just really engrossing.

Don't judge me.

Oozer3993

Option C: Super Mario Land 3D and/or Mario Kart 7. I'm reallllly close to getting a 3DS cause of how awesome those games are.

3D Zelda sucks.

Except for Wind Waker.

Edit : I just checked the prices for the OoT bundle, and hooooly shit, $272 new on Amazon. I had no idea. I want that model so bad. I'd sell off OoT right away, of course. :p

Confession time: Wind Waker is the only 3D Zelda I like. I've tried to get into OoT multiple times, but grew bored rather quickly every time. Oh, and Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 are totally awesome. Made my 3DS totally worth it.

P.S. Beating Cairo Station on Legendary gives you chest hair.
See, this post is totally on topic :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom