• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOCKING NEWS: Final Fantasy X for PS3/Vita is an HD Remaster, according to Square

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Shinji Hashimoto was interviewed at Taipei game show. They asked him if FFX was to be a remake or a remaster, and he said it's a remaster.

http://www.ff-reunion.net/ff/2012/02/05/sqex_news_662

I'll translate what is actually said in the interview for clarification.

Q: I would like to ask Mr.Hashimoto regarding the Final Fantasy X announced for the PS Vita at last year's Tokyo Game Show. Is the game being devleoped like a HD Remaster or like a remake?

A: The game is being developed like a HD Remaster, but the visuals will be much more improved compared to the original game, please look forward to it!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not surprised. I'm actually surprised that they didn't just release the regular FFX and charge 20 bucks for that.

So, the original game with HD effects? Fucking sign me up. FX was the most addictive FF for me. I don't if they downgrade it to 2D, I'll play whatever they do with it.

Raonak

Banned
SHOCKING NEWS indeed. it was so obvious.

On the plus side, it means it won't take 5 years to come out :p
I'm not kidding.

Well duh.

But whatever, a great game in HD is still pretty awesome. I bet they will put more effort in it then Capcom would.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unless it's the International version I don't see much point in picking it up. Can just play my PS2 copy in PSCX2 and get the same results (or better).

Though I'm not even sure what FFX added with the International version, are the changes as significant as the ones in XII? I'd be interested in XII if they did this with the IZJS version.

As expected. And after this they'd better do FFXII and Kingdom Hearts. I've never bought an HD rerelease of a game I already own, but I would for those two. In spite of myself I will probably by X HD as well just because I am an FF whore.

Squishy

Aren't HD remasters required by SCEE/SCEA to have at least two games in a retail package? Maybe it's going to be downloadable only, unless something significant content-wise has been added. It IS Square Enix though...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd like to know how they'll deal with X's CGI and pre-rendered backgrounds.

Aren't HD remasters required by SCEE/SCEA to have at least two games in a retail package? Maybe it's going to be downloadable only, unless something significant content-wise has been added. It IS Square Enix though...

Might be one of those weird Vita/PS3 game combo things, where both versions are in one case.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
10 years later i kinda wished for a Remake - damn SE.
If its just a HD remaster they should include X-2 at least.

Instro

Well that clears that up, even though it was pretty obvious. Seemed like a lot of people fell for the "remake" line when it was announced.

iavi

Expected, but disappointing nonetheless. I'll buy it for the vita during a psn sale or something.

I am ok with that once they dont crap it up.

so basically what it needs is

real 16:9. no cutting off the top/bottom of the image and moving the UI around.
redrawn UI.
if possible re render the CG at HD.
1080p at 30fps or 720p at 60fps. none of that 720p at 30 BS.

They probably should have got bluepoint to do the heavy lifting since this is there bread and butter recently... plus they have dont a great job with all of there HD remasters while most publisher in house ones tend to be super lazy and perform like ass. (resident evil 4 HD, PoP, Splinter Cell HD)

Also I hope this means a XII remaster. Never finished it. was playing it when I got a HD console and it was lost forever.

duckroll

Q: I would like to ask Mr.Hashimoto regarding the Final Fantasy X announced for the PS Vita at last year's Tokyo Game Show. Is the game being devleoped like a HD Remaster or like a remake?

A: The game is being developed like a HD Remaster, but the visuals will be much more improved compared to the original game, please look forward to it!

They probably should have got bluepoint to do the heavy lifting since this is there bread and butter recently... plus they have dont a great job with all of there HD remasters while most publisher in house ones tend to be super lazy and perform like ass. (resident evil 4 HD, PoP, Splinter Cell HD).

Since Buzz Monkey Software did the Tomb Raider HD collection you would think they would already have some ties to them as well.

Rad-

I won't, thanks.

Mario007

I wonder if they are redoing the background stuff so that you can rotate your camera because if no then that's the area that's gonna get bashed in the reviews

Eusis

I imagine it's mainly better textures and effects with some degree of a polygon count update. Either across the board or gameplay models become the same as cutscene models.

I personally can't justify purchasing the PS3 version when I can play my International copy on PCSX2 in HD already. That said, if I pick up a Vita I may consider it. If for no other reason than in the (vain) hope it inspires SE to remaster XI and XII IZJS for it too.

RpgN

By remaster it can still be like OOT on 3DS, right? It doesn't have to be a straight port with HD tacked to it.

Eusis

Playing through this game now for the first time. What's the point of Kimahri?
To piss you off later when
, after neglecting him most of the game, you're forced to use him. Alone.

Just gameplay there, but being safe. More seriously he's meant to be whatever you want him to be, perhaps leaning towards being a blue mage-ish character, but I ignored him and I think most others did too.

Seda

Playing through this game now for the first time. What's the point of Kimahri?

He doesn't excel in anything, but the way he starts in the sphere grid, you can take him down any other character's path. I usually send him down Wakka's, as his path is loaded with STR nodes nearing the end.

Top Bottom