• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2011/2012 Off-Season Thread |OT| The Year of the Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Last time I checked, Kamui had twice the points at the end of the season.

Gm1Uo.png

Like. A. Webber.
Looking at the points is half the story, and a very myopic thing to do. You have to look at all the evidence presented. And with the evidence available to us, that isn't team telemetry; it suggests that Kobayahi is slower over a single lap, but has a slight experience and racecraft advantage. That will dissipate as Perez gains more experience. Where does that leave Kobayashi?

Edmond Dantès;34882533 said:
Looking at the points is half the story, and a very myopic thing to do. You have to look at all the evidence presented. And with the evidence available to us, that isn't team telemetry; it suggests that Kobayahi is slower over a single lap, but has a slight experience and racecraft advantage. That will dissipate as Perez gains more experience. Where does that leave Kobayashi?

But at the end of a season, points matter. It's not about beautiful overtaking or fastest laps. It's about the end-result. And I'm not even convinced that Perez got the talent. At least Kobayashi had an impressive season, Perez' season was nothing like DiResta's for example. But hey, there must be a reason for Ferrari's interest in him.

You know, besides the money.

Lucius86

Banned
I love days like these. Can't keep away from this thread, even though I currently have a server on fire*.

* May not actually be on fire, but it is causing major heartache for my customer atm - oh well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
But at the end of a season, points matter. It's not about beautiful overtaking or fastest laps. It's about the end-result. And I'm not even convinced that Perez got the talent. At least Kobayashi had an impressive season, Perez' season was nothing like DiResta's for example. But hey, there must be a reason for Ferrari's interest in him.

You know, besides the money.
That's the thing: Perez doesn't seem to be anything but a tier two driver at best from what we've seen of him so far. There hasn't been any bona fide flashes of genius. We've seen other drivers at this stage of their F1 careers (Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button, Schumacher etc.) produce moments of sheer brilliance, that have given us an indication of their supreme talent and potential. We saw those moments with Kobayashi and it gave a lot of people hope that he might be something special. Another driver in the same vein as Montoya (without the attitude problem), who was willing to take risks and to laugh in the face of the established hierarchy, just as Montoya did when he first went toe to toe with Schumacher many moons ago. The point being that the Kobayashi we wanted has failed to materialize. He's stagnated at Sauber and he must do something to put himself back on the radar of the top teams.

McLaren to introduce new nose by Melbourne.

Can they, I thought the chassis had already been homologated when it passed the crash tests and they have had to lower the front end of the chassis to compensate for the smooth transition to the nose. Unless they can come up with a really good excuse, they could be screwed.

S. L.

Can they, I thought the chassis had already been homologated when it passed the crash tests and they have had to lower the front end of the chassis to compensate for the smooth transition to the nose. Unless they can come up with a really good excuse, they could be screwed.

they can re-homologate until the first race

dalin80

Banned
You guys are presuming mclaren even want the new nose, the front of the chassis and nose is a fair bit different in other ways and was last year as well.

Adamm

I really hope red bull make a poor car this year.
I want see vettel fighting for 5th/6th on the grid, so we can see what a driver he really is!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I want see vettel fighting for 5th/6th on the grid, so we can see what a driver he really is!
It would be better if the top three were on par with each other. That would be s true test of ability for Vettel and the others.

Omiee

thats a terrible thought to have.

vettel will surely dominate again !!

EDIT: it looks sooooooooooooooo gooooooooooood!!

Not sure I agree, I think the car look a hell of a lot better than the Ferrari overall.

Edit - I guess it could be the paper bag effect. :D

Shaneus

so marco was talking shit.

it looks almost the same as the ferrari nose.
Pretty much. But I think that improving dat hump makes a massive difference. On the other cars, it just looks like they're following the regulations as close as they can, a la "Okay, so at this point we can go this much higher. So go this much higher, then!". RB8 at least looks a bit classier in that regard.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ewwwwww!

No likey!

Can't wait to see a proper picture, but it almost looks like the pitot tube is mounted on some sort of cross member between the ridges. Very strange and horrendously ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom