• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

frontieruk

Does anybody know if the research made in the demo will transfer over to the full release? I've been a bit reluctant to invest any more time in it because of that. I've upgraded my razorback, and kusanagi, but that's it.
From the EA FAQ
Will my progress and unlocks carry over to the full game?
No, anything you unlock in the demo will stay saved until February 21st, but will be erased when the full game launches.

frontieruk

Oh I understand why it doesn't, I just wish it did because I put a good amount of time into the demo lol.

It'd also probably mean you'd have a bunch of spare chips to use if/when DLC was launched. But I know where you're coming from I've level capped the demo maxed out the research on the two guns I use, increased my breach abilities, it's going to be hard going back to a basic Agent.

frontieruk

got a good feeling about how Syndicate will fair sales wise. I STILL never have a problem finding a match on both PS3 and 360.

Yeah, but it could be the same as here on Gaf the same few playing, i know my friends list has increased because I kept ending up in the same people's games when playing with randoms :-/

soultron

Banned
Finally got a chance to play the demo. I enjoyed it. Really liked the UI/HUD. I'm enjoying the game, but it seems like a strange instanced version of an MMO raid done as an FPS. People will ninja your loot. You'll apply damage and shield buffs.

It could really benefit from a dynamic AI director a la Left 4 Dead, because as it stands, it gets very repetitive -- the same enemies and mini bosses will be waiting in the exact same spot as last time. Unless doing a mission on a harder difficulty opens up more areas or a different scenario/arrangement on that map?

Excited for the full game, none the less.

Finally got a chance to play the demo. I enjoyed it. Really liked the UI/HUD. I'm enjoying the game, but it seems like a strange instanced version of an MMO raid done as an FPS. People will ninja your loot. You'll apply damage and shield buffs.

It could really benefit from a dynamic AI director a la Left 4 Dead, because as it stands, it gets very repetitive -- the same enemies and mini bosses will be waiting in the exact same spot as last time. Unless doing a mission on a harder difficulty opens up more areas or a different scenario/arrangement on that map?

There's a larger number of the tougher enemies (Sergeants and shielded dudes) on the higher difficulty so that changes it up a bit. On hard I've also encountered a couple of those stealthed enemies in the room with the closeable roof, I don't know if those are random or if I just didn't notice them in other playthroughs.

There's a larger number of the tougher enemies (Sergeants and shielded dudes) on the higher difficulty so that changes it up a bit. On hard I've also encountered a couple of those stealthed enemies in the room with the closeable roof, I don't know if those are random or if I just didn't notice them in other playthroughs.

Awesome!

I honestly hadn't done any harder difficulties in the demo yet

ced

Alright what is the consensus on the PS3 version? I guess no reviews or comparisons yet.

I trust Starbreeze, and I'm really tempted to get that $20 credit for a preorder, I just don't want a gimped version. My 360 is toast or I would get that version.

Alright what is the consensus on the PS3 version? I guess no reviews or comparisons yet.

I trust Starbreeze, and I'm really tempted to get that $20 credit for a preorder, I just don't want a gimped version. My 360 is toast or I would get that version.

Having played both extensively,

PS3 looks a hair softer and there's a framerate hitch almost everytime you activate Dart mode. Can get only a little framey in spots
360 a hair sharper and transition is smoother into Dart.

PS3 has a fucking furious soundmix if you have the audio setup. 360 is flat in comparison.

Both are vsynced (seemingly) so yay!

That's it. Starbreeze has come quite along way with this engine, considering The Darkness looked so awful. Riddick was better but still superior on 360.

As I said, i'm spring for the PS3 version. Prefer the sound, the controller, and the free online.

iavi

It's much better on hard. There's still a good bit of predictability in spawn positions, but the AI makes up for it in aggressiveness--the extra 'sergeants' adding a lot to that. The co-op game's best there, I've found.

Wub wub, new launch trailer is up.
Launch Trailer

A bit spoilery but it's really cool.

Great trailer. The wait for this game is getting hard.

This just got released in Dubai but i really know nothing about the game or havent really seen any impressions. Im not going to jump in early i think until i see a few reviews. Hasnt been much hype/advertising for this either.

foxdvd

a little worried no early reviews yet...I know that has happened a lot lately, but with preorders so low on this game, if the reviews were going to be ok I think they would have let a few out...I am afraid the sp is going to get blasted...

still....three of us are buying it off the coop demo alone...

a little worried no early reviews yet...I know that has happened a lot lately, but with preorders so low on this game, if the reviews were going to be ok I think they would have let a few out...I am afraid the sp is going to get blasted...

still....three of us are buying it off the coop demo alone...
You need to slow your roll with those ellipses, my friend. Don't worry, it'll all be OK.

pmj

I just pre-ordered. I don't often get games at full price, but Starbreeze has given me enough good times at bargain bin prices for me to be able to justify it.

The focus on co-op worries me a bit as I'm only interested in the campaign. The new trailer is good though.

I just pre-ordered. I don't often get games at full price, but Starbreeze has given me enough good times at bargain bin prices for me to be able to justify it.

The focus on co-op worries me a bit as I'm only interested in the campaign. The new trailer is good though.
You can set up a private room and do the co-op by yourself, if you really want. So just look at like a few extra missions.

pmj

You can set up a private room and do the co-op by yourself, if you really want. So just look at like a few extra missions.

I'm not worried about the amount of content, but rather the type of content we can expect from the single player campaign.

A campaign consisting of all action with Starbreeze storytelling would be all well and good, but I hope there's more than that to it. Granted, walking around some area and talking to people isn't exactly trailer material.

iavi

Watch the 10 min ign sp playthrough vid in the op. Starbreeze's usual atmosphere is there. I don't think that it's going to be The Darkness levels of scene setting, but that may be for the best, IMO. The Darkness got a little caught up on it at times.

Just wanted to confirm co-op on Hard has different enemies. Came across invisible dudes (but aren't that powerful), and a butt-load more enemies out of the monster closets which was perfect for headshot rampage!

I'm not expecting an AI director because L4D was purely focused on co-op, but the co-op here is still as addictive and fun with randoms.

I love gibbing.

Just wanted to confirm co-op on Hard has different enemies. Came across invisible dudes (but aren't that powerful), and a butt-load more enemies out of the monster closets which was perfect for headshot rampage!

I'm not expecting an AI director because L4D was purely focused on co-op, but the co-op here is still as addictive and fun with randoms.

I love gibbing.

The game sounds like a dream. I'm a bit worried about the sales. This OT only 3 pages long so far (not an indicator of sales but still). It almost feels like they revealed the game too late... like it feels it was just revealed recently and now all of a sudden it's out. Didn't give the hype train enough time to get rolling but hopefully im wrong.

frontieruk

The game sounds like a dream. I'm a bit worried about the sales. This OT only 3 pages long so far (not an indicator of sales but still). It almost feels like they revealed the game too late... like it feels it was just revealed recently and now all of a sudden it's out. Didn't give the hype train enough time to get rolling but hopefully im wrong.

I'm wondering the same, but with ME3 around the corner most eyes are looking elsewhere which is a shame as if the coop is anything to go by its going to be a fun game.

soultron

Banned

Awesome. I'll try it again on hard!

It's such a simple risk/reward mechanic, but I love having to close range on dudes in order to breach their shields. More sergeants (and liquids?) in hard mode definitely means more fun, IMO. The regular dudes are pure cannon fodder; they stand perfectly still and are easy head shot kills for anyone with the sniper rifle. However, the regular dudes do perform suicide dives out into the open here and there, which is a nice touch.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Interested to see where this game goes. I was following it, then heard impressions that it wasnt very good, but now im looking at videos again and i think it looks great. We will have to see how much gameplay is in the singleplayer before i buy.

Interested to see where this game goes. I was following it, then heard impressions that it wasnt very good, but now im looking at videos again and i think it looks great. We will have to see how much gameplay is in the singleplayer before i buy.

Most of the impressions in the big demo thread were pretty positive. No PC demo so I'm just basing my purchase on those impressions and they were pretty good.

frontieruk

Most of the impressions in the big demo thread were pretty positive. No PC demo so I'm just basing my purchase on those impressions and they were pretty good.

I'm torn between PC and 360, I know I've raised my flag for 360 but there is that niggle I should get the PC version.

frontieruk

Sooo... asking again, but is our corporate anti-hero mute or does he talk?

Is he the Michael Fassbender looking dude?

No one really knows lol the best bet would be the German play through video and the executive search video, having just watched them I think we've got a mute, be interesting to see how the cut scenes work as the launch trailer hints at quesions being asked to the protagonist.

WOW i love you amazon. The $54 pc download also has the $20 credit so this is perfect. Ordered.

Oh crap I read it wrong, thought the bonus offer box had the $20 credit in it but it doesn't. Looks like the credit is only for the console versions which blows because the PC version is the same retail price.

iavi

I really hope he isn't a silent-protag. Everything I've seen of the SP has him saying nothing though...

soultron

Banned
No one really knows lol the best bet would be the German play through video and the executive search video, having just watched them I think we've got a mute, be interesting to see how the cut scenes work as the launch trailer hints at quesions being asked to the protagonist.

I think it's tough to say. By the nature of the story, the context of being a literal tool of megacorps (thanks to the DART chip) means a silent protag would work, but I have a funny feeling that it will be a tale of rebellion. I really feel that most of the narrative "voice" will be coming from Rosario Dawson's character, however.

I would rather play it on PC than anything, but I'd like to know the lead development platform. So far I hear 360 edges out, which is fine, but StarBreeze does REALLY good PC versions...normally.

Basically I'm running in a circle. I want to play, I want to have a good community, but I also want more information regarding the game. These review embargoes are pretty annoying.

iavi

I think it's tough to say. By the nature of the story, the context of being a literal tool of megacorps (thanks to the DART chip) means a silent protag would work, but I have a funny feeling that it will be a tale of rebellion. I really feel that most of the narrative "voice" will be coming from Rosario Dawson's character, however.

Yeah, I can definitely see this being the case, unfortunately.

I loved the original Syndicate and was annoyed when I heard there'd be an FPS remake. Then I saw some videos and was a little intrigued. I ended up trying the co-op demo and was blown away, just goes to show how useful demos can be to a game dev. The co-op really is a tonne of fun and the demo made this a launch purchase for me (PS3).

Also I see that the game has been refused classification in Australia...

BREACHING...

frontieruk

I loved the original Syndicate and was annoyed when I heard there'd be an FPS remake. Then I saw some videos and was a little intrigued. I ended up trying the co-op demo and was blown away, just goes to show how useful demos can be to a game dev. The co-op really is a tonne of fun and the demo made this a launch purchase for me (PS3).

Also I see that the game has been refused classification in Australia...

BREACHING...

But hasn't R18 just been passed? Could lead to a late release.

frontieruk

Wait this is coming out already? I thought this was like 6+ months off for some reason

Yup. Covered it it the FAQ as well lol.

A year late is a pretty long time. Would EA bother to release for Australia after such a long delay?

I'll be honest I only saw the headlines that it was going ahead when I posted that, from an article I just saw the plans seem to want to start implementation next year. It must suck ass to be an austrailian gamer.

Foil

I started replaying the demo yesterday and had a really good time. I love the feel of the weapons, the upgrades, the atmosphere, and the whole concept of hacking/keeping your team alive during the co-op missions. Hopefully the game does well enough at retail.

Top Bottom