• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

bhlaab

I have a 64-bit cpu and a 64-bit OS but the 64-bit version of Dolphin crashes whenever I try to load a game or configure my controls. 32-bit Dolphin works fine.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Ledsen

So I'm going kinda crazy here with performance issues. I want to ask you guys:

Has anyone played Xenoblade or Skyward Sword with a CONSTANT 30 fps in a high resolution (3x or 4x native ) without any framedrops whatsoever? If so, what kind of rig do you have, and what build did you use? I thought 2500k@4,5GHz would be sufficient, but even after tons of googling for optimal settings, trying different builds etc, I still have to lower to 2,5x native res to get rid of 99,9% of framedrops. Ideally I would like to play at 4x. Are other people simply less picky than me, and it's in fact impossible to get perfect emulation, or am I doing something wrong?

dani_dc

So I'm going kinda crazy here with performance issues. I want to ask you guys:

Has anyone played Xenoblade or Skyward Sword with a CONSTANT 30 fps in a high resolution (3x or 4x native ) without any framedrops whatsoever? If so, what kind of rig do you have, and what build did you use? I thought 2500k@4,5GHz would be sufficient, but even after tons of googling for optimal settings, trying different builds etc, I still have to lower to 2,5x native res to get rid of 99,9% of framedrops. Ideally I would like to play at 4x. Are other people simply less picky than me, and it's in fact impossible to get perfect emulation, or am I doing something wrong?

I couldn't play without FPS drops during battles at 4x native res with SSAA, it was either 4xSSAA and a lower native resolution or a higher native resolution with no SSAA.
Right now I have internal resolution set to "auto" and the AA to 4xSSAA, though I believe I used to play with the native resolution set at 2.5x and 4xSSAA with only very rare drops of 30fps.

With that said I believe that the AA and native resolution are depent on the GPU, not the CPU.

My build is a 2500K@4.3GHz and a GTX 560ti.

BlackBeetleKing

Neo Member
FFCC The Crystal Bearers
1.music glitch / sound desync
2.water glitch / some floors flickering
3.huge slowdown while "auto save". "subtitles description", "area change"

FXAA+Sharpen

ibqgXaUWuWVSAY.png

iycXbo3k7C9eN.png

ii88aQsZ3UFmJ.png

ibuUHtFl7nqb8h.png

iFoELC0NS8ftX.png

ijw2FM55cRaTd.png

ibmM1hMj61Ajde.png

ibxLenJ3sEVwmp.png

iVNz0ojunN7Wf.png

ibaClAKtpjSaUO.png

I just dropped another 8GB of ram into my system to bring me up to 16gb (along with GTX 570 and i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz) does having more ram improve performance at all?

Wichu

I just dropped another 8GB of ram into my system to bring me up to 16gb (along with GTX 570 and i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz) does having more ram improve performance at all?

As far as I'm aware, no. The most important thing for running Dolphin is CPU speed.

If you're not transcoding several HD videos simultaneously while you play games then you have about twice as much RAM as you actually need, just FYI.

Dizzy-4U

So how many people have extensively played Xenoblade on Dolphin?
I'm running my 2500k@4,5GHz, have tried at least three different builds (two hacked HLE sound fix ones made specially for Xenoblade), Dx9 and Dx11, 2,5x and 3x native res, etc etc, and I STILL can't get a perfect 30 fps in all battles. My test case is I warp to the radio tower in Sword Valley, go up the ramp and fight the enemies up there with the camera turned towards the huge structure. When I do this the fps drops to about 22-25 during battle. I want it to be perfect 30 fps all the time :( tips GAF?

I have around 120 hours in Xenoblade. I tried different builds and it always gets choppy the first 5 minutes of the game. After that it's constant 30fps. I think it's because the textures are being stored in memory as they are showing up for the first time. It happens to me in almost every Wii game. If I disable the texture filtering it doesn't happen at all.

I have an i7 950 @ 4.1 with GTX580 and the internal res is set to 2.5x.

I have never seen any other application take advantage of an Overclock more than Dolphin.

OCd my 2600k to 5.0 GHz, and it made a world of a difference for Skyward Sword, I never dip below 30fps on Rev 7719 now, I do get some weird artifacting (black flashes) though, anyone know why? Is it because of the overclock? My gpu is not OC at all.

BTW Flashes are gone when using latest dirty build, but the game does lag a bit during combat which really sucks.

I have never seen any other application take advantage of an Overclock more than Dolphin.

OCd my 2600k to 5.0 GHz, and it made a world of a difference for Skyward Sword, I never dip below 30fps on Rev 7719 now, I do get some weird artifacting (black flashes) though, anyone know why? Is it because of the overclock? My gpu is not OC at all.

BTW Flashes are gone when using latest dirty build, but the game does lag a bit during combat which really sucks.

Try adding just a little AA (x2), and that should fix it, did for me.

ACE 1991

So those of you are able to run SMG2 with DSP LLE with little to no slow down, what settings/build do you use, and what kind of setup do you have?

Any build above 3.0-355 should be able to use the text speed up codes at the least.

Every time I try to use Cheats with Skyward Sword, I get errors, in the latest build i get some DSP error and emulation stops, in build 7719 the game just freezes when a dialog box opens up.

I always end up disabling cheats in Config :(.

Any idea why?

Beats

Every time I try to use Cheats with Skyward Sword, I get errors, in the latest build i get some DSP error and emulation stops, in build 7719 the game just freezes when a dialog box opens up.

I always end up disabling cheats in Config :(.

Any idea why?

Which cheats are you using? Some type of codes (ex. ones that start with C2) weren't supported in older Dolphin builds. I'm not sure where the DSP error could be coming from. Could you post your config settings?

Tomodachi

Why do people continue using 7719 revision to play skyward? It's not true it's the best around, I personally have no issues whatsoever with 3.0-371 (not even the latest), great performance and cheats works fine (I only use the one for black bars and the one for instant text, though).
Almost finished with the game, hasn't crashed a single time in 30+ hours. I have far more issues with proper pc games.

Foffy

Banned
Hey guys. It seems the site that sells the Sensor Bar HD is currently closed and is restocking. Does anyone know of any particular items to get the Wii remote to be recognized by my PC?

catabarez

Hey guys. It seems the site that sells the Sensor Bar HD is currently closed and is restocking. Does anyone know of any particular items to get the Wii remote to be recognized by my PC?

Candles :) They should also sell some wireless sensor bars at Gamestop.

Foffy

Banned
Candles :) They should also sell some wireless sensor bars at Gamestop.

How would candles help my recognize the Wii remote, though? I can use that to make up for a damaged/missing sensor bar, but I don't know how to get the controller to be noticed by the PC.

catabarez

How would candles help my recognize the Wii remote, though? I can use that to make up for a damaged/missing sensor bar, but I don't know how to get the controller to be noticed by the PC.

I don't understand, you connect it via bluetooth. Do you have a bluetooth adapter?

ss_lemonade

Noticed by your pc? The sensor bar/candles/whatever is only there to track the movement of the wiimote. You need a bluetooth adapter to pair up that wiimote with your pc first.

O.DOGG

I'll try to find them.

The Rapidshare link in the wiki is dead because it was marked as illegal. Lesson: Don't call the button pack "Wii-Xenoblade-PAL-XBox360_Buttons_Pack-v1-4.7z " when you re-up it...

If anyone here has a local copy of the latest version, re-upping it on several services would be appreciated.

edit:
Found a Mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfekfqdfrqw2wep

If it doesn't work right away, try again.

Excellent. Thank you!

Haunted

I hope The Last Story will run in Dolphin and some of the cracks can figure out a good configuration for the international version. Reports I've read about the Japanese version weren't so hot.

Lol, I never noticed he has hints of facial hair before... Looks so weird.
Completely invisible in the Wii version.

jediyoshi

Bah. The video is 480p. Screens look great though. I've been shocked at how good Rhythm Heaven looks on my Wii. My only issue at all with the game is some of the low bit-depth gradients, which is a Wii problem, not a Rhythm Heaven problem.
LLE + Capturing + HD = My computer weeps.

Thrakier

Weird, you shouldn't need 5GHZ for a stable 30 in SS..

Torraz

Is it possible to play japanese wii games on the PC via dolphin? Can I just stick the disc in my dvd-drive or do I need to go via a homebewed wii?

Durante

Is it possible to play japanese wii games on the PC via dolphin? Can I just stick the disc in my dvd-drive or do I need to go via a homebewed wii?
Region is irrelevant for Dolphin. You need either a homebrewed Wii or some very specific DVD drives with custom firmware to rip the discs.

Torraz

Region is irrelevant for Dolphin. You need either a homebrewed Wii or some very specific DVD drives with custom firmware to rip the discs.

Thanks, guess I'll have to head over to the homebrew thread to see If I can do that on my wii. The last game I played (that had me update the firmware) was xenoblade I think...

Ok this is confusing the shit out of me. Can someone please link me to the "easy" guide that will tell me how I can use Dolphin to play my Wii games? I followed the guide in the OP but now I don't know how to actually get the discs to be read. OP says to check the massive homebrew thread for how to rip games... yeah... isn't there just an easy guide somewhere telling me exactly how?

Thanks

Theonik

Ok this is confusing the shit out of me. Can someone please link me to the "easy" guide that will tell me how I can use Dolphin to play my Wii games? I followed the guide in the OP but now I don't know how to actually get the discs to be read. OP says to check the massive homebrew thread for how to rip games... yeah... isn't there just an easy guide somewhere telling me exactly how?

Thanks
For ripping your games begin by following this guide. Once you have the homebrew channel installed on your Wii use this app to rip your Gamecube/Wii games to a USB drive. To use it just copy the apps folder to your SD card or the contents of it to the existing apps folder. Then execute the app from the homebrew channel. For any other question you may ask in the Wii homebrew thread.

bhlaab

I don't have a Wii so I bought an 8164B GDR-DVD drive to rip my Gamecube/Wii games to play through Dolphin.

A couple problems, however:
My motherboard doesn't have an IDE port so I'm using an external IDE->USB2.0 bridge. This works fairly well, but it might be the cause of my major issue, which is that most of the time whenever I put a GC/Wii disc into the drive the whole drive disappears from Windows until I take it back out.

About one out of every 100 times I can get it to work (after so much fussing about that I can never be 100% sure what it is I've done to make it suddenly work)

Jesus, that looks complicated as fuck. "Even if you're really dumb" my ass! Anything more than downloading / double-clicking is usually not worth it for me.

Maybe I'll just stick with SD...

Top Bottom