• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy HD Remasters... of 16-bit classics?

ScOULaris

When done right (GOW: Origins Collection, MGS Collection, Ico/SotC Collection), HD remasters of previous-gen classics are awesome, IMO. They give new players a chance to experience these great games on current hardware, and they allow fans who played the original releases to have multiple entries in a series all in one, definitive collection. I can understand the argument against them (e.g. "buying the same game twice"), but I personally find a quality HD Collection of games that I love to be a worthwhile purchase.

It's fun to speculate about what PS2/Xbox/GC releases might see an HD update, but I got to thinking... What about the 2D classics of yesteryear?

I'm not talking about simply releasing ROM dumps (ala Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition), but rather taking all of the original code and simply updating the pixel-art assets with HD ones.

The only game that comes to mind as an example of this type of remaster/remake is Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix.

super_street_fighter_ii_turbo_hd_remix_3.jpg

I know that Udon's new artwork wasn't completely well-received in that game, but it was still an interesting example of how a project like this would work. Just take a look at Orioto's artwork for a visual reference as to how some of our favorite classics would look with updated 2D assets.

BirdChaseTime.jpg

BeastsReunion.jpg

ToxicPlanet

If you would like to see some HD remakes of classic 2D games, which games in particular would you want to receive this treatment?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nope. Would take too long to release and usually looks worse. More collections for all platforms please.

stuminus3

Yes I'd be interested in this. Especially late 80s/early 90s Capcom arcade games that had that cartoony art style.

It depends on the quality and the price. I wouldn't mind paying $5 for my favorite 16-bit games or for gems I've missed out on.

Yes. I would buy every one of them. Can you imagine a HD Castlevania collection remix? Damn that would be awesome. Castlevania 1 through SotN.

That's something that's never going to happen, since they can't just change one line of code to make the games look better like they do with the HD ports of 3D games.

ShaneB

As mentioned, ST:HD Remix is a very bad example in this case knowing how divided the opinions are of it on GAF, I love it, so ah well.

I would buy said remakes, but with an asterix. I love pixel art, so it feels a bit blasphemous to think a remake has to feature all new art and all that, so it simply may end up being a case by case basis instead of a blanket yes statement. Would I love nice HD pixel sprites, hell yeah.

RPGCrazied

Phantasy Star I - IV please! 2.5D of these games, so good. I'm aware they were released on a collection disc, but they weren't remastered, were they?

Hiltz

I'd buy them depending on the game but only if the developer includes the original graphics you can switch to via options menu. You know, like how its done in games like Cave Story.

I purchased SF2T:HD and The Secret of Monkey Island HD and enjoyed them, so yeah, I'd buy any good HD remasters of the old 2D games. However, I think I'm set apart from most of GAF because I didn't play them in their original form.

Since I never played them, I'd love an HD remake of Grim Fandango or Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2.

VanWinkle

About those Orioto screens, HD remasters would be unlikely to look that good. It would take a lot of time. If the same attention and care would be put into them that was put into Rayman: Origins, then maybe. It just seems unlikely.

I can not think of a single example of pixel art redone that satisfied me. In every case, it's worse than what the original art left to my imagination. Something like a brand new game that looks like those Orioto paintings would be cool, but leave original sprite art as it is. I wouldn't want to play Shinobi 3 with anything more than the amount of pixels it has now.

It's not like with 3D remasters... higher framerates and better resolution are always an advantage there. And there's no such thing as "bringing out the flaws", like I've seen some people say. Even 3D PS1 games look and play worlds better with cleaner resolution, and it's the same art.

Bioloff

Neo Member
Honestly?

No.

And here is why - the jump from 2D to 3D is too large. I feel like a lot of games (such as metroid prime or even FFVI) would suffer from high resolution graphics. It would be too different, alienating those gamers who fell in love with the games to begin with.

The difference - just sharpening up last generation games a bit and totally changing how a 2D game looks. I wouldn't want that personally.

I bought an 8-Bit remake/remaster...

Bionic_Commando.png

ps3_bionic_remake_05.jpg

so if there is a good 16 bit game out there with a decent developer being made I'll probably get that too

RPGCrazied

Oh and I mean I'd want those Phantasy Star games the same way Final Fantasy IV complete for the PSP is.

This:

phantasystar2.jpg

To this:

615911_20110419_screen016.jpg

Yes, please! :)

Dylan

I would totally play Super Metroid in HD. Especially if they re-did the original soundtrack with a modern production quality. Holy mother yes.

StuBurns

Banned
These things are just remakes, but yes, I'd buy remakes of good games. I have FF4CC on PSP for example, and the SF2 mentioned in the OP.

ghibli99

Yeah, 16-bit is a sensitive area. For a lot of gamers, it's considered the pinnacle of handcrafted pixel art, great music when the actual number of channels and type meant something, and sharp refinement of gameplay ideas that started in the 8-bit era.

8-bit and earlier updates I have less problems with since many of them, even at the time, were held back in some significant way by the technology. I would love a modern-day version of a traditional Bard's Tale game, and I'm curious to see what the new Karateka will look like.

Ultimately, I'm only for them if the developers don't half-ass it. I know that goes without saying, but you know what I mean.

however people feel about the first Monkey Island special edition. I thought that the LeChuck's Revenge was pretty unanimously well received.

ScOULaris

Yeah, 16-bit is a sensitive area. For a lot of gamers, it's considered the pinnacle of handcrafted pixel art, great music when the actual number of channels and type meant something, and sharp refinement of gameplay ideas that started in the 8-bit era.

8-bit and earlier updates I have less problems with since many of them, even at the time, were held back in some significant way by the technology. I would love a modern-day version of a traditional Bard's Tale game, and I'm curious to see what the new Karateka will look like.

Ultimately, I'm only for them if the developers don't half-ass it. I know that goes without saying, but you know what I'm saying.

Yeah, I know what you mean with regard to 16-bit pixel graphics. Maybe I shouldn't have worded the title that way, specifically calling out that era.

Also, I think Super Mario All-Stars was the first example of games being graphically updated (assets only), collected, and then released on a current-gen console. And look how great that turned out! Everyone loved it.

mario-all-stars-screen.jpg

It was the original "HD" collection. (⌐■_■)

Goldrusher

Thread title is wrong. You're talking about full-blown remakes, not remasters.

A remaster would be the old game, running in a higher resolution; and that's it. No change in graphics, art, audio, etc.

ScOULaris

I just remembered another example of a remastered 16-bit game:

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection.

FINAL-FANTASY-IV-Complete-Collection-Screens-PSP.jpg

What was the consensus on that? Good or bad update?

Thread title is wrong. You're talking about full-blown remakes, not remasters.

A remaster would be the old game, running in a higher resolution; and that's it. No change in graphics, art, audio, etc.

On one hand, you're right. On the other, I'm just talking about swapping out assets, leaving the original code untouched.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Also, I think Super Mario All-Stars was the first example of games being graphically updated (assets only), collected, and then released on a current-gen console. And look how great that turned out! Everyone loved it.

Except for the guy who wouldn't let kids play it because Mario's controls were wrong

Tain

You don't simply "update" the original art. You throw it out the window and make it again. There's a ton of room for error. There's also no guarantee that any given 2D game can look better in higher resolutions.

It is actually a remake.
Not only the assets changed, it changed also the way it played. Jumps, running, everything was different from the original releases. So it wasn't just a "swap assets" job.

ScOULaris

It is actually a remake.
Not only the assets changed, it changed also the way it played. Jumps, running, everything was different from the original releases. So it wasn't just a "swap assets" job.

Oh, was it? They always felt exactly the same to me, control/momentum-wise.

If every old 2D fighter could look like KOFXII/XIII, then I'd be set for life.

Oldish:
images

New:
images

I'm aware of the UM updates. Not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom