• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Awards 2008 (2012 edition)

jett

D-Member
D'aww, you still crying over it jett?
Yeah, I'm bitchmade, whatever the fuck that means. I'm not the one instantly resorting to telling the other person to fuck off while disregarding everything.

It quite funny seeing a grown man rage xD

dat empty ignore threat

Chinner

Banned
In MGS4's case Rax is right. I also remember him posting long ass posts in the voting thread detailing what he didn't like about it. That's not "whining". And of course, nobody refuted him.
pretty much. i still haven't seen a good argument as to why mgs4 is good, well, except for the babbies trying to deflect the games shortcomings onto the person themselves.

Tookay

I don't really care what tags people have, if the best you can do is bring mine up, then you can go fuck off. In MGS4's case Rax is right. I also remember him posting long ass posts in the voting thread detailing what he didn't like about it. That's not "whining". And of course, nobody refuted him.

pretty much. i still haven't seen a good argument as to why mgs4 is good, well, except for the babbies trying to deflect the games shortcomings onto the person themselves.

What are you talking about? Rax (and you Chinner) said the same thing, and you guys were wrong then too. There's been plenty of people who explained what they liked about MGS4.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=35111135&postcount=597

This subject has been beaten to death. What else is there to explain or defend that hasn't already been said? You have your opinions, we have our's.

Chinner

Banned
What are you talking about? Rax (and you Chinner) said the same thing, and you guys were wrong then too. There's been plenty of people who explained what they liked about MGS4.

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=35111135&postcount=597

This subject has been beaten to death. What else is there to explain or defend that hasn't already been said? You have your opinions, we have our's.

yeah sure everyone is entitled to opinions but your taste in videogames is basically the equivalent of twilight. i'll make a post later go into detail but gonna sleep now.

edit: yikes jett is banned

Chinner

Banned
i was never fond of lbp. i always found the platforming really dull and uninspired, although stephen fry was cool in it.

Chinner

Banned
Fair enough. I never said that MGS4 was the best game ever or even my favorite MGS game. Just the best game out of a weak year of disappointing sequels.

well, that is certainty true. i think 2008 was a really weak year, nothing in my mind really sticks out apart from the witcher. mgs4 was an AAA game in terms of budget, but putting aside my complaints about the story, gameplay and so on, i really dislike the retcon it does to the entire series. i mean the story was for the most part full of shit, but kojima tried to do things with it in mgs1/2 (themes etc) which he just abandoned in mgs4 which makes the franchise really convoluted.

The ban hammer is here!?
ijlntgnyS4pIt.gif

Haunted

And that's why you don't go all ad hominem on each other. I'm sure they'll be back after a short cooldown.

I wonder if GB's endurance run had any part in Persona 4's boost. :p There were some aspects to the battle system I really liked, such as the really involved analysis/weaknesses thing and actually useful buffs (how many jRPGs really rely on those?) - but the whole dating/school aspect and general pacing of the game - so heavy and slow - is a big turn off.

I'd be interested in a more focused and more streamlined experience with that same battle system.

BosSin

Woah, I knew people were gonna start flinging shit back and forth after being in the voting thread for a little while but you guys take it to another level.

Does it really bother people so much that others like something in particular?

Woah, I knew people were gonna start flinging shit back and forth after being in the voting thread for a little while but you guys take it to another level.

Does it really bother people so much that others like something in particular?

It's the same kind of mentality these people get when a review of THEIR BELOVED GAME DOESN'T GET A HIGH SCORE. People need to get off their high fucking horse.

Tookay

well, that is certainty true. i think 2008 was a really weak year, nothing in my mind really sticks out apart from the witcher.

This is the moral victory. 2008 just wasn't that good of a year.

Yep, I couldn't even work out a full top ten. 2008 was the year I learned to back away from the hype machine, because more often than that, being so invested in something burned me. MGS4, Brawl, GTA, MKWii all disappointed me in some way. Not that any of them were bad, but there was a lot of potential that was squandered.

mgs4 was an AAA game in terms of budget, but putting aside my complaints about the story, gameplay and so on, i really dislike the retcon it does to the entire series. i mean the story was for the most part full of shit, but kojima tried to do things with it in mgs1/2 (themes etc) which he just abandoned in mgs4 which makes it really convoluted.

The retconning was crap, agreed. Never did like what they did with the cast of MGS3 in turning them into the Patriots.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Very happy to see Persona 4 and Valkyria Chronicles up in the top 10. They deserve it. :D

i was never fond of lbp. i always found the platforming really dull and uninspired, although stephen fry was cool in it.
Yup. I was close to giving my negative vote to it but then I recalled that I liked GTA4 less. At least LBP had the community levels as its small redeeming factor, as much as I don't really like the rest of it.

Haunted said:
I wonder if GB's endurance run had any part in Persona 4's boost.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case. That ER made me want to play the game again.

boingball

Surprised by the rise of Mirror's Edge (I was thinking of including it in my Top 10 as well).
Saddened by the fall of LBP.

So which year is next?

AniHawk

Surprised by the rise of Mirror's Edge (I was thinking of including it in my Top 10 as well).
Saddened by the fall of LBP.

So which year is next?

in a couple of months.

mgs3 will probably win again. the only one that might challenge it will probably be half-life 2.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm always surprised when people get so actively worked up about people liking something they don't. MGS4 isn't perfect, it has some very major issues, but it's incredible in so many areas that it's worthy of praise, as is GTA4, as is FFXIII, etc.

In a way maybe it's a testament to those games that they can instill such passion in polar positions. Ultimately any of those heated debates come down to someone stating something is objectively bad, because they don't like it, and someone else saying the opposite, both looking bad. I think Super Smash Bros is garbage, but I accept people adore it, as bizarre as I find that. People care too much to ever have discussion about those games go well.

AniHawk

2004's standings

halo 2 might go down (i have no idea what people think of it now, but i remember some backlash a little after launch, especially with regards to the campaign), so hl2 could go up. kotor ii might go way down. not sure if the games in the top five would actually change. i think all of them still have good reputations eight years later.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
2004's standings

halo 2 might go down (i have no idea what people think of it now, but i remember some backlash a little after launch, especially with regards to the campaign), so hl2 could go up. kotor ii might go way down. not sure if the games in the top five would actually change. i think all of them still have good reputations eight years later.
MGS3 and HL2 battle for #1 would be tight imo

Dynedom

This thread has made me want to replay the game (MGS4), lol. First game I played when I bought my PS3 (2009er in here). Still have fond memories of it, even though it wasn't my GOTY from that year (that goes to Valkyria Chronicles).

Requeim

Yo guys, what's going on in h-

Well then, i must say i like pretty much all of the changes for the better. Mirror's edge really does deserve a sequel. Persona 4 and TWEWY (almost) getting the recognition they deserve is also amazing. Hell, even Devil May Cry 4 went forward three spots.

Ridley327

2004's standings

I like how the RE4 demo placed higher than Doom 3.

But goddamn, there were a lot of amazing games to have come out in 2004.

mxgt

Banned
2004's standings

Halo 2 above Half Life 2 is a wrong that must be righted.

HL2 and MGS3 should run away with it. I think HL2 takes it but MGS3 is no joke. Both would obliterate MGS4 - the people whining about it winning don't seem to realize that 2008 just isn't a very strong year and something has to win. Mirror's Edge getting third place kinda says it all, even if there are some vocal defenders here (hello).

Hopefully Zero Mission and Shadow Hearts 2 do well in a re-vote. Halo 2 should drop off pretty hard while Nocturne probably does a good bit better thanks to Persona blowing up here. I wonder how World of Warcraft does.

Top Bottom