• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

you won't be able to "use" a phone on a network without a voice plan
I've got a phone without a voice plan. They basically gave me 1.5 free months of unlimited* data too, when I bought my unsubsidized phone from them. About $39/month. They charge me per minute/per SMS if I use that stuff, though.

*Throttled after 5 gb/month.

gcubed

I've got a phone without a voice plan. They basically gave me 1.5 free months of unlimited* data too, when I bought my unsubsidized phone from them. About $39/month. They charge me per minute/per SMS if I use that stuff, though.

well thats not bad, i'm wrong then.

From a decent carrier?

Husker86

What carrier?

I just got me a Lumia 800 two weeks ago. Switching "down" to feature phone after years of using smart phones feels a bit strange, but other than that it has been great. Are there any decent web sites that are listing the best or most interesting apps that are available? Seems like I'm just finding some really stupid ones...

I just got me a Lumia 800 two weeks ago. Switching "down" to feature phone after years of using smart phones feels a bit strange, but other than that it has been great. Are there any decent web sites that are listing the best or most interesting apps that are available? Seems like I'm just finding some really stupid ones...

how is the 800 a 'feature phone'?

MercuryLS

Banned

I lol'd.

Yeah, but most of the programs don't run on the background, they get suspended. I have been using Symbian and Android before, and while Lumia 800 has been better than any Symbian/Android phone I have ever seen, I'd like to see real multitasking...

maybe you'll get your wish some day. What do you really want to do with multi-tasking that it doesn't do currently? (Just wondering)

maybe you'll get your wish some day. What do you really want to do with multi-tasking that it doesn't do currently? (Just wondering)

There was one pedometer app that didn't work on background. Also, when I play Angry Birds, I'd like to check my mails sometimes, and then return to game. Now when I do that, the game always reloads and goes to the main screen when I switch back, and it's quite slow.

The pedometer app seems like a valid gripe. The Angry Birds delay is the developer's lack of using resources correctly. Quick switching should be pretty snappy in Mango.

PG2G

There are a number of multitasking use cases that Windows Phone 7.5 doesn't support but iOS does. Wish they would have just copied Apple honestly.

I'm sure that these will be addressed with further iterations. Remember, Mango is the first version of the OS with Multitasking. it's addressed quite a few of use-cases, and I'm sure that more will be addressed with further versions.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
There are a number of multitasking use cases that Windows Phone 7.5 doesn't support but iOS does. Wish they would have just copied Apple honestly.

I wonder how many iPhone users even know about multitasking or even use it on a regular basis. If I didn't show my wife she probably wouldn't have found it.

Troll

Banned
I just finished listening to the new Verge Mobile Podcast, they usually dont rub me the wrong way but they were a little bit bothersome this time. At least they dont COMPLETELY discount WP like every other "unbiased" mobile podcast. (well except Mobile Nations I guess.)

MercuryLS

Banned
You don't have to use the app switcher to "use" multitasking on ios.

True, but I have noticed that sometimes if I tap an app from the homepage that was open before it will reload. But if I use the multitasking menu it won't.

There should be a small tutorial when you activate an iOS device that teaches you some of the advanced features IMO. A bit of a failure on Apple's part there.

giga

True, but I have noticed that sometimes if I tap an app from the homepage that was open before it will reload. But if I use the multitasking menu it won't.

There should be a small tutorial when you activate an iOS device that teaches you some of the advanced features IMO. A bit of a failure on Apple's part there.
That's probably a coincidence. If the app is still in memory, it will always load it instantly from there regardless of where you launch it from.

PG2G

You don't have to use the app switcher to "use" multitasking on ios.

Not to mention, there are entire classes of apps that aren't possible or are a lot less useful on Windows Phone 7 because of the limitations of multitasking.

Anyone familiar with how multitasking works in Windows 8 metro apps?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There was one pedometer app that didn't work on background. Also, when I play Angry Birds, I'd like to check my mails sometimes, and then return to game. Now when I do that, the game always reloads and goes to the main screen when I switch back, and it's quite slow.

The pedometer app seems like a valid gripe. The Angry Birds delay is the developer's lack of using resources correctly. Quick switching should be pretty snappy in Mango.

Yeah I'm wondering if Angry Birds just hasn't ever been updated to a Mango app with the multitasking built in.

SmarTone/Vodafone
http://i4s.smartone.com/jsp/iPhone4S/english/bundlepack.jsp
(I'm not in the US)

It looks like it's actually $43/month (less if I use less than 230 mb/month).
$1 USD = $7.75 HKD

We're talking about the evil American carriers here unfortunately. You Euros don't know how lucky you are when it comes to cell carriers.

and the dead battery symbol I presume.

If Windows Phone devices actually lasted longer on the battery than iPhones and Androids, you would have an argument here.

Yeah I'm wondering if Angry Birds just hasn't ever been updated to a Mango app with the multitasking built in.

In general, games on iOS and Android don't support background suspend either, they always unload from memory. This is because games typically hog a lot of memory and Apple and Google would get mad if games hogged all the memory in the background and screwed up whatever the user was trying to do in the foreground. It's good programming practice to unload your app from memory or at least flag your app as unimportant so the memory manager can unload it to free up memory unless it absolutely needs to be there to listen for Steam chat, check your Gmail, check to see if your friends have played yet in Words With Friends, or check if someone sent you a Facebook message, or whatever.

Woffls

Okay I have a problem with my Lumia 800. It keeps randomly rebooting. Had it replaced already, got 2 new sims, and still it reboots every now and then. It's usually when I'm on the move and unlock the phone to use it, but there's no strict patterns.

Anyone know of this issue? If it's not resolved today, I'm taking it back to Vodafone and swapping for something else. Probably an SII if it's getting ICS. I really don't want to, though. Thanks gaf.

Okay I have a problem with my Lumia 800. It keeps randomly rebooting. Had it replaced already, got 2 new sims, and still it reboots every now and then. It's usually when I'm on the move and unlock the phone to use it, but there's no strict patterns.

Anyone know of this issue? If it's not resolved today, I'm taking it back to Vodafone and swapping for something else. Probably an SII if it's getting ICS. I really don't want to, though. Thanks gaf.

I think the IMDB app did this for me, when it was running as backgrund service. You can try disabling some background apps and see if that helps...

Woffls

I think the IMDB app did this for me, when it was running as backgrund service. You can try disabling some background apps and see if that helps...
Hmm, I do have the IMDB app installed, so this could well be it. Not sure why it needs to run in the background anyway :s I have uninstalled it, and there were no other background apps, so I'll try this for a while and see what happens. If it works, then you've saved me a lot of trouble :) Cheers bro. [edit] Or broette...

Magni

tLHg6.png

You'd think they would put their own OS in the spotlight instead on the iPhone.. At least it's there, on the OneNote site they talked about the Android and iOS apps without even mentioning WP. smh

tLHg6.png

You'd think they would put their own OS in the spotlight instead on the iPhone.. At least it's there, on the OneNote site they talked about the Android and iOS apps without even mentioning WP. smh

There is no OneNote "app" for Windows Phone, it's already integrated.

Finnish Windows Phone Lead posted the "Pure" video Nokia dropped a few days ago.

Smoke screen?? Perhaps. Maybe it means nothing, hopefully it is something on the Windows Phone front.

Cant wait til Monday!

The Pure thing is supposed to be Nokia N8 successor and was rumored as Nokia's last Symbian phone. Microsoft tweeting the video makes it a bit weird.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I don't think it got a mango update. Plants vs. Zombies either. There are examples of 3D games that utilize mango and properly switch you back to your previous state through the multitasking screen, so I'll chalk it up to lazy devs.

Cheaper phones are the key for Nokia and Microsoft in their battle to win a larger share of the market, analysts say.

In addition to the new Lumia 610 Nokia will also unveil at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona a global version of its high-end Lumia 900 phone, which AT&T is scheduled to roll out in the United States, the sources said.

Nokia is set to unveil the phones at a news conference next Monday, on February 27.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/22/us-nokia-smartphones-idUSTRE81L0LW20120222

Magni

There is no OneNote "app" for Windows Phone, it's already integrated.

Sure, it's what I thought of as well, but they could at least mention it.

The Pure thing is supposed to be Nokia N8 successor and was rumored as Nokia's last Symbian phone. Microsoft tweeting the video makes it a bit weird.

I hope it's not just MS fucking with us haha

Everyone get excite!
@WindowsPhone8

A large quantity of Windows Phone news due soon

@WindowsPhone8

Details of 1080p Full HD video capture support in Windows Phone expected amongst other announcements soon

Will Windows Phone finally catch up with Android 2.2 and iOS 4/5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom