• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years old & fluent in 11 languages, I'm jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verelios

I speak two languages. English and Spanish.

I feel like a failure. I also know weaboo level Japanese/Korean. Don't judge me.

Bleepey

What kind of bullshit is this?, I am fluent in 4 languages yet I speak to my son in my mother tongue, not because I don't speak the other languages good enough, in fact, the only time I get to use my mother tongue is at home with my kid, you tent to speak to your kids in your mother tongue because it comes natural plus you are giving them an extra language for free (if you live in a different country where a different language is spoken)

Parents who don't teach/pass along their mother tongue to their kids just because they live in another country are making a huge mistake, kids will pick-up whatever the official language is at school, your mother tongue however might be lost forever or will become increasingly hard to learn as kids grow up.

My 2 and a half years old son speaks spanish to me and switches to german right away when speaking to his mom (my wife is german), that's 2 extra languages he'll have besides the 2 official ones from here (we live in Montreal), he just started daycare in french and his teacher already told me he understands a lot and he had begun to repeat and say some words in french.

not to shabby for a 2 and half years old

Let me explain. I know a lot of Africans living in London. However the number of kids my age that speak their mother tongue fluently is upsettingly few. The oriental kids i know almost all speak their parents' language, as for South Asians their kids are hit and miss with regards to native tongue fluency although far higher than the African kids.A part of me wonders why this is? When in Nigeria although the official language is English everyone speaks their own language at home, but when these parents go abroad they seem to reserve their mother tongue only for simple domestic chores or an ass-whooping. I wonder why this was cos you'd think parents would want their language as well as the culture passed down. I think that African parents due to them thinking that speaking to their kids at home might impair them developing their English, as well as them being more comfortable with the language than say other immigrants means that it's more likely that the kids don't learn the language.

amrihua

Learning languages like Catalan and Afrikaans seems like a waste of time to me. I know some languages are easier to pick up than others especially if they are close(r) to your native tongue.

I really want to learn French and Spanish. I'd start with Spanish since it is the up and coming de facto language of the US.

The official languages of the United Nations are the six languages that are used in UN meetings, and in which all official UN documents are written. They are:
  • Arabic
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • English
  • French
  • Russian
  • Spanish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_the_United_Nations
Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

Learning languages like Catalan and Afrikaans seems like a waste of time to me

and keep it to yourself

that type of attitude is real shit, respect the languages and the people who would wanna learn them for whatever reasons they have. If the dude has no interest in Portugese but in Catalan, then guess which is x1000 more useful to him than Portugese despite Catalan being smaller?

your list of UN spoken languages and number of native speakers means jack shit even in some empty pragmatic mindset. If you are moving to Iceland guess how useful those 6 languages are, wanna watch the movies, read the lit, better yourself, etc.

i hate this mentality so god damned much. You going to work at the UN or something? if it's for some check mark on your CV then there are a lot better things you can do with your time then learn the 6 UN languages so you can claim that :lol Languages take a lot god damned more than shit like "projected economic value" to become useful in them, they are literally a part of you, your mindset, and each one reflects an entire culture and way of life and thinking.

and keep it to yourself

that type of attitude is real shit, respect the languages and the people who would wanna learn them for whatever reasons they have. If the dude has no interest in Portugese but in Catalan, then guess which is x1000 more useful to him than Portugese despite Catalan being smaller?

your list of UN spoken languages and number of native speakers means jack shit even in some empty pragmatic mindset. If you are moving to Iceland guess how useful those 6 languages are, wanna watch the movies, read the lit, better yourself, etc.

i hate this mentality so god damned much. You going to work at the UN or something? if it's for some check mark on your CV then there are a lot better things you can do with your time then learn the 6 UN languages so you can claim that :lol Languages take a lot god damned more than shit like "projected economic value" to become useful in them, they are literally a part of you, your mindset, and each one reflects an entire culture and way of life and thinking.

Estás loco?
أنت مجنون؟
Ju i çmendur?
Você está louco?
Du gal?
Sen deli?
Du verrückt?
Вы сошли с ума?
Ka baliw?
Jy mal?
Μπορείτε τρελός;
Te demens?
You mad?

Loonz

Languages take a lot god damned more than shit like "projected economic value" to become useful in them, they are literally a part of you, your mindset, and each one reflects an entire culture and way of life and thinking.

I find that languages are useful because they allow you to access to a new subset of human culture that it'll be far and away from one otherwise. Translations are usually fine enough, but the real beauty of the original text is lost in the way.

That said, I only find useful to learn languages that grant you access to a new vast cultural content. Namely, international languages. It is my opinion, not to be necessarily shared of course. Life is short and learning languages is quite an effort, at least for me. Even then, I love it.

BTW, I find that the guy discussed in the OP had a convincing German accent, as well as his Russian sounded good... to my ears, I know neither. His Spanish wasn't perfect, but it was better than that of 95% of the foreigners I usually have contact to.

sphinx

the piano man
His German is mindblowing.

ICH HAB DARAUFHIN AUFGEGEBEN

his accents are just out of this world good, i'm honestly emberassed red with my american accent in german but he's just 'herp derp a skerp' like a native

btw if you guys are inspired you can always come over here!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446208

eh, I don't know, the non-english languages I can judge because I speak them as well (German, Spanish and Italian) didn't really blow me away, I didn't find it as mindblowing.

It was about what is expected from a good language student. all three languages sound like they are not his mothertongues, which is fine but just o.k

and not to bring this down, but everything he said was rather easy, in every language. For instance, he carefully avoided using verbs in complicated conjugation forms and tenses in spanish (habria, hubiera, hubiese, hubiera habido, and a couple more), plus he messed up a word because he was trying to speak too fast. I can make that video with at least 3 more languages, like french, Portugues, Bulgarian, which I don't count in my fluent languages, cause I can just ask for the price of stuff in stores and such.

godnorazi

Banned
I need to learn another language besides english.

What should I learn? I am totally serious.

spanish is probably the easiest to learn in america since there is alot of spanish speakers and media and it is very similar... the most useful language in about 5 years will probably be mandarin chinese.. but good luck learning that competently

KuroNeeko

yet I speak to my son in my mother tongue, not because I don't speak the other languages good enough, in fact, the only time I get to use my mother tongue is at home with my kid, you tent to speak to your kids in your mother tongue because it comes natural plus you are giving them an extra language for free (if you live in a different country where a different language is spoken)

Yeah, I do this with my son as well. I agree that if you're not passing on the mother languages of both parents - you're missing out on a great opportunity, especially in multicultural families.

In terms of money to be made. Chinese is better.

You're probably right.

Oh.....Well, I can't say that I'm surprised. Still thanks for the heads-up.

You read too much GAF.

Probably;D I'm not really worried about being detained, but I don't like the atmosphere of censorship and repression that is commonly depicted on the news. Nor do I like how "free thinkers / speakers" are being incarcerated simply because of their beliefs. For me, one of the key factors for learning a language is whether or not I like or am interested in the culture.

What about Taiwan, Singapore and all the other places that speak Chinese? You can always go there.

Oh, good point;D

they (languages) are literally a part of you, your mindset, and each one reflects an entire culture and way of life and thinking.

Yeah, this is true. I don't get it as much anymore, but I had a lot of times when my brain would lock up when trying to switch between English and Japanese. Learning a language is just a great way to expand your perspective and way of thinking. Almost feel like I have split personalities sometimes. :p

Arjen

Wow that was really impressive
I know Dutch, English, Frisian and German.
I hardly ever use Frisian but i think it's pretty cool i know a language spoken by so little people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom