• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the benefit of going digital over physical for PSVita?

There is a thread dedicated to Vita questions.

Benefits: Some games are cheaper, no need to go to store or wait for shipment, no need to change carts, no need to throw them away when a new handheld is released similar to UMDs on PSP.

None for you, unless you don't have a fast internet connection. It's to stop piracy.

edit: I misread that. Digital has lots of benefits that you can see by just opening up Steam or grabbing an app off iTunes of Android Market. It forces you to always be connected, so it becomes more of a service than a product.

Don't have to carry around separate game cards
Have instant access to any game
Don't have to worry about losing or breaking your game
Price
Better prospects for BC

Duxxy3

You're supporting the developers more by not going through various middlemen.

Honestly, people that support retail are scum and barely above people who buy used or pirate games.

That fanatical enough? :)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
speed

oh wait
LgkmK.jpg

None for you, unless you don't have a fast internet connection. It's to stop piracy.

edit: I misread that. Digital has lots of benefits that you can see by just opening up Steam or grabbing an app off iTunes of Android Market.

Don't feed him that, he'll expect closed system DD to be as good as open system DD.

Kyoufu

I like how I can carry games I want to play on the system itself without having to swap carts etc. Very convenient.

If you're in EU you get to pay more for the privilege of not having boxes and instruction manuals... hey, wait a damn minute!

Remember how much Memory Stick prices have gone down and capacities have gone up over the life of the PSP. 32MB was a decent size at its launch and 1GB sticks were about $100 IIRC. Presumably the same thing will happen over the life of the Vita and make digital a better deal later on.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Choose wisely young padawans. One cannot simply trade his digital games in at Mordor.

Retail games that have a massive replay value are worth getting as digital but single player games like Rayman that have hardly any replay value (Unless you're trophy hunting) you'll be stuck with. It's worth paying retail and having the ability to sell them or swap with friends rather than pay 10% less for a game you can't swap or trade. Of course, if it's something you play heaps of, such as MLB, Madden or Monster Hunter Vita Edition *snicker* by all means means digital. Plus if the following years version is broken or you don't like it as much it will always be in your download history after you delete the game.

Is it easy to set up a US/JAP PSN account and buy games when you live in Europe ? Because if yes it would be awesome : no need to wait for a game to be released in your country, you could buy it as soon as it is available on PSN.

kodt

Banned
Pros:

1. Don't have to carry games around.
2. Don't have to switch out cards
3. Don't have to worry about losing them as you can always re-download.
4. If a PSPVita 2 comes out someday and is backwards compatible with digital games (but not the physical games) they will still work. Just as it is right now (digital PSP games work on Vita but UMDs do not)
5. MSRPs are often below retail (if only by 10%)

Cons:

1. Can't resell
2. No retailer discounts means some games may stay at a higher price vs discounted retail prices.
3. Need more memory card space
4. Theoretically a game could be pulled from online and you could never re-download
5. Can't let your friend borrow a game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Convenience. Was going to go mostly physical, but now I've decided to buy games digitally since it's so nice to just have everything with you on the go.

If I want to play something truly disposable (short singleplayer experience with little replayability), then I might go physical.

You know, I always wondered. This is like the only pic of Grace Chen that I've seen. Why was it taken? Why is she holding a PS3 controller? I would like the story behind this. Future Blogcast question?

I think it was taken when she was explaining the new format of the psn store..

UberTag

All of the key benefits have been covered but one big sticking point for me on the digital front (for Vita, in particular) is that a lot of the primary benefits of going retail no longer come into play. Those cases are empty. The manuals are always digital and easily accessible while playing. I open up one of those things to get out the tiny cartridge and my first reaction is "what a waste". Same way I felt when Best Buy shipped my charging dock in a giant 11x17" padded envelope for something that is no longer than my thumb.

The future compatibility and not having to worry about where I shelved a game or whether I loaned it out to a friend are huge plusses for me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I would happily go digital if the physical ones didn't exist... it's just that if there's a pretty box... I feel compelled to get it :/

Zee-Row

Banned
Buying digital games is like a marriage you can't get divorced from since you can't sell or trade unwanted games.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Convenience.

This. I love buying full games off PSN, even ones I have owned before, for the ease of launching it off the XMB rather than having to switch discs. Problem is most are terribly overpriced. Once ME3 is like 19.99 on PSN, I'll grab it there.

The only real benefit of digital is convenience. You may or may not be able to play those on the next system so it may or may not be a benefit.

The benefit of retail is, cheaper price, ability to sell or trade your game, the ability to borrow or loan a game, and the only real guaranteed way to future proof yourself if you want to play your games in the future.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It is also always available to purchase and use instantly. With retail not everyone has everything in stock all the time, and even when they do you need to either drive to that store. And with delivery you have to wait 5-7 days for pretty much everything unless you pay extra or get everything at launch, and sometimes the situation makes for actually signing for the thing a little difficult.

- J - D -

What are you talking about? Remove cart, replace cart. You don't even have to turn the system off. Quick and easy.

I'm talking about the cartridge slot cover. I have to use my finger nail to pry it open, that makes it harder than it needs to be, compared to past gaming handhelds. The little notch/space to open the covers on the top of the system are smaller than those of the SIM card slot and memory card slot covers. Why? My guess is to keep the aesthetics of the silver rim, but I'd take practicality over looks in this regard.

If I were really wishing, I'd wish the cover was spring loaded or had a larger notch. Or it could be opened by a sliding mechanism. Heck, not having a cover would be okay with me.

It is also always available to purchase and use instantly. With retail not everyone has everything in stock all the time, and even when they do you need to either drive to that store. And with delivery you have to wait 5-7 days for pretty much everything unless you pay extra or get everything at launch, and sometimes the situation makes for actually signing for the thing a little difficult.

Pending 10 to 180 min download..... I could drive to the store and be back before a game is downloaded sometimes.

Top Bottom