• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedough

Manga time :eek: Which did she read? What kind are you planning on finding for her?

She brought home one I hadn't heard of called Peach Fuzz.... about a girl in school and her two talking ferrets... thats about all I got from it.

I'm going to be on the look out for girlish style manga that doesn't get too shonin just yet... I'll kind of gauge what makes her interested with different things I show her. I dont want there to be too much romance (she's 8) or violence. Some titles I have in mind to look for while we're there:

Kare Kano
Oh My Goddess!
Fruits Basket
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Ruroni Kenshin (only because its one of my favorites and I think I could get her to take interest in the feudal japan era)
The World of Narue
Yatsuba&!

That's about all I could drudge up that were tame. Kenshin is obviously a little older and maybe a little too violent, but I'm going to show her a volume, if they have it, and see how she reacts. I think she'd enjoy the interactions between Kenshin, Mikoto and Yahiko.

Chuckie

Talking bout nerdy/geeky shit... I am going to Oberhausen, Germany tomorrow to visit the LEGO store....... so I really should be in bed instead of being here on Gaf while drinking a beer and listening to No Doubt.

Davedough

Talking bout nerdy/geeky shit... I am going to Oberhausen, Germany tomorrow to visit the LEGO store....... so I really should be in bed instead of being here on Gaf while drinking a beer and listening to No Doubt.

Take pictures. I would like to live vicariously through you on that visit.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hmm... manga for an 8 year old girl...

I love Utena so I totally agree with that. Also Angelic Layer might be good. It's got a bit of fighting and a love story but it's very light on both. It's mostly just funny and cute. Another good one might be Instant Teen (I think that's the English title anyway...) which is about a young girl who eats these weird nuts to become 16, and finds out how it isn't really that much fun to be older after all.

Davedough

Hmm... manga for an 8 year old girl...

I love Utena so I totally agree with that. Also Angelic Layer might be good. It's got a bit of fighting and a love story but it's very light on both. It's mostly just funny and cute. Another good one might be Instant Teen (I think that's the English title anyway...) which is about a young girl who eats these weird nuts to become 16, and finds out how it isn't really that much fun to be older after all.

Thanks for those. I'll keep those suggestions in mind too. I'm actually not too sure what will even be available. I live in a town who's population is around 40k so I'm not too hopeful that these cowboys will have ordered copies of "Oriental" comics to sit on their shelves

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I was wondering about that. My local library has a ton of manga, but I don't know that they have any of those titles. They have a lot more of the boy stuff than the girl stuff anyway. Also, I feel a bit weird going into the teen section ._. But I guess if people here think I'm 19, it works >>

Watching through this Tim and Ron interview. It was a bit of an odd thing hearing Tim mention FFVII. It's like my worlds colliding.

She brought home one I hadn't heard of called Peach Fuzz.... about a girl in school and her two talking ferrets... thats about all I got from it.

I'm going to be on the look out for girlish style manga that doesn't get too shonin just yet... I'll kind of gauge what makes her interested with different things I show her. I dont want there to be too much romance (she's 8) or violence. Some titles I have in mind to look for while we're there:

Kare Kano
Oh My Goddess!
Fruits Basket
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Ruroni Kenshin (only because its one of my favorites and I think I could get her to take interest in the feudal japan era)
The World of Narue
Yatsuba&!

That's about all I could drudge up that were tame. Kenshin is obviously a little older and maybe a little too violent, but I'm going to show her a volume, if they have it, and see how she reacts. I think she'd enjoy the interactions between Kenshin, Mikoto and Yahiko.

Sounds like some great choices :D

I was wondering about that. My local library has a ton of manga, but I don't know that they have any of those titles. They have a lot more of the boy stuff than the girl stuff anyway. Also, I feel a bit weird going into the teen section ._. But I guess if people here think I'm 19, it works >>

I think going to the library was actually how I got into manga, back when I was like 12 - 13. They had Fruits Basket, Love Hina and Marmalade Boy there. Do you live in Japan Lissar? If not, was it expensive to bring all your Japanese books over? I probably had 10 - 12, and I just about died bringing them back (If I put them in my suitcase it cost extra so I filled up my backpack).

I dont have a need for a bookcase either. My kindle doesn't take up too much space at all.

Blasphemy! Books look so much nicer on a book shelf. I'm kinda depressed that I have to double stack my bookself to save room, because now you can't see half of them (though it is a good place to hide the twilight books I bought out of curiosity in high school. shhhh).

I always considered that geeky rather than nerdy... however I am not a native English speaker so I might be wrong.

In my perception:
Geek: Likes games or comics or funny toys, stuff a bit out of the ordinary. His/her interest might make a 'regular' person smile and think..why the fuck do you collect that.
Nerd: The above but also tends to take it to the next level. Often a bit socially inept.. regards his 'weird' hobbies far more important than normal socail interactions etc.

Again, I might be really wrong... English is not my first language.

I thought it was the other way around >.<

And perhaps Nerds tend to be high achievers in school, Geeks do not.

marrec

Banned
Books look so much nicer on a book shelf. I'm kinda depressed that I have to double stack my bookself to save room, because now you can't see half of them (though it is a good place to hide the twilight books I bought out of curiosity in high school.)

Ya I don't want to get into an e-reader vs. Book debate but I love the way our books look on our shelves.

We should take pictures of our books and post them... -_-

leadbelly

Banned
Watching through this Tim and Ron interview. It was a bit of an odd thing hearing Tim mention FFVII. It's like my worlds colliding.

Tim has good taste. :p

I think going to the library was actually how I got into manga, back when I was like 12 - 13. They had Fruits Basket, Love Hina and Marmalade Boy there. Do you live in Japan Lissar? If not, was it expensive to bring all your Japanese books over? I probably had 10 - 12, and I just about died bringing them back (If I put them in my suitcase it cost extra so I filled up my backpack).

Wasn't really aware of anywhere that sold manga as a kid, although I'm sure there were places. I did love watching manga anime though. Akira, Fist of the North Star, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

I have actually watched some of those movies not so long back. Akira for instance, I didn't know what the fuck was going on as a kid (lol) it just seemed cool to watch. I did actually get the movie when I watched at a later time.

I didn't understand Akira either. Blue children flying everywhere. That's all I remember.

Ya I don't want to get into an e-reader vs. Book debate but I love the way our books look on our shelves.

We should take pictures of our books and post them... -_-

It could be very embarrassing....

I'll go get my camera.

leadbelly

Banned
I didn't understand Akira either. Blue children flying everywhere. That's all I remember.

Yeah. Incredibly convoluted. As a kid I was like, "why is he turning into a giant blob of flesh? what the fuck is going on?" lol

There is a spiritual side to Akira, which there often is with a lot of japanese manga. A lot of the influences of anime and manga comes from that.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

When I was that age our library didn't have comics much less manga. I remember going to Powell's (huge bookstore) and finding a shelf of manga. They only had the one. That's when I got A-A' and Nausicaa (still the only two manga in English I own... oddly enough.)

As for my books, yes it was quite expensive and I've amassed a bit over living there/extended trips:

japaneselibrary.jpg

(Yes I know it's blurry. Phone camera in bad lighting. And I'm not a photographer.)

Manga on the left, novels and textbooks on the right.

I would take a picture of the rest of my book collection, but that would take a bit more effort and cleaning to make things presentable.

leadbelly

Banned
When I was that age our library didn't have comics much less manga. I remember going to Powell's (huge bookstore) and finding a shelf of manga. They only had the one. That's when I got A-A' and Nausicaa (still the only two manga in English I own... oddly enough.)

As for my books, yes it was quite expensive and I've amassed a bit over living there/extended trips:

japaneselibrary.jpg

(Yes I know it's blurry. Phone camera in bad lighting. And I'm not a photographer.)

I would take a picture of the rest of my book collection, but that would take a bit more effort and cleaning to make things presentable.

That's a nice selection of books you have. How often do you read old books though?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Slowly getting over it.

:< *hug*

That's a nice selection of books you have. How often do you read old books though?

Oh, I reread books all the time! I'm quite a fast reader. Some books I've read as many as 10-15 times (I've gone through three copies of Redwall, but I'm pretty sure those books were just not put together very well at all. With one copy the glue melted off almost immediately.)

And this is really only 1/5th of my book collection.

First of all, *punx hugs for Raw*

Second, on the nerd/geek/whatever thing: I like the word nerd. It's a nicer word. They're interchangable for me though.
And I'm a nerd of so many things. Games, films, becoming one for TV, punk, and just general computery, since I'm most of the way through my CS degree.

Third:
Well, to be fair you did only say SOME nerds. Not everyone can have the brilliant ideas that make them rich. Most nerds I know are not rich but still quite important to society :eek: Hell, most teachers and librarians are probably nerds on some level, and they're helping and teaching her :D She should be thankful for the nerds in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_LWmRJK-g

More adventure game nerd time. I love these guys. I wish I could afford the new rewards for the $100 donation tier.

Aw man, I want to go to bed but I want to watch this :C

Fourth: Dead to Me are fucking amazing live :D

Fifth: OH MAN REDWALL WAS AWESOME. I should start calling it Radwall.

No I shouldn't.

But they were great.

SRG01

japaneselibrary.jpg

The bookshelf on the left looks dangerous...!

leadbelly

Banned
Oh, I reread books all the time! I'm quite a fast reader. Some books I've read as many as 10-15 times (I've gone through three copies of Redwall, but I'm pretty sure those books were just not put together very well at all. With one copy the glue melted off almost immediately.)

And this is really only 1/5th of my book collection.

Where do you store the rest of them? In the attic?

I can see it getting out of control. You'll probably be sleeping on them at some point. :p

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The bookshelf on the left looks dangerous...!

I feel like Lara Croft whenever I reach for a book from those shelves.

Where do you store the rest of them? In the attic?

I can see it getting out of control. You'll probably be sleeping on them at some point. :p

Technically my library IS in the attic. Also, my acquisition of books has slowed down somewhat now that I have a Kindle. I tend to only buy physical copies of books I really want (or textbooks) and ebook versions of books I'm not sure of yet.

If I really like a book sometimes I'll get both (but I haven't been able to afford to do that for awhile.)

leadbelly

Banned
Technically my library IS in the attic. Also, my acquisition of books has slowed down somewhat now that I have a Kindle. I tend to only buy physical copies of books I really want (or textbooks) and ebook versions of books I'm not sure of yet.

If I really like a book sometimes I'll get both (but I haven't been able to afford to do that for awhile.)

Technology is nice, but I kind of like the feel of books. I suppose the kindle is good in one respect, in that it doesn't have a backlight. it replicates a page better with less strain on your eyes.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Technology is nice, but I kind of like the feel of books. I suppose the kindle is good in one respect, in that it doesn't have a backlight. it replicates a page better with less strain on your eyes.

It's not just nice, for several reasons. As you said yourself, if I kept buying at the same rate I'd soon run into storage problems. E-readers prevent that (from happening too soon... I'm only 28, I don't want to imagine my collection at 50.) Second, I tend to go for extended trips to other countries. Next month I'll be going to Germany until the end of May. Dragging 15-20 books with me just isn't feasible. With my Kindle I have 400 to choose from and it's lighter than even a single normal book.

leadbelly

Banned
It's not just nice, for several reasons. As you said yourself, if I kept buying at the same rate I'd soon run into storage problems. E-readers prevent that (from happening too soon... I'm only 28, I don't want to imagine my collection at 50.) Second, I tend to go for extended trips to other countries. Next month I'll be going to Germany until the end of May. Dragging 15-20 books with me just isn't feasible. With my Kindle I have 400 to choose from and it's lighter than even a single normal book.

Good point. I'm not sure you'll be reading 15-20 books during your stay though. Although, I don't actually know how long you're staying there.

For convenience purposes and practicality it is a very good piece of technology.

Edit: until the end of May. Sorry, glanced over it. :/

Puddles

Banned
So I wrote some chapters for a fiction series based on the Old Testament that I'm considering doing.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35451268&postcount=59

The premise is: "What if the events in the Book of Exodus really happened, but God was somewhat evil?"

Some of you guys might like it. It's a bit rough, but I think it gives a pretty good idea of what I'd be going for if I turned this into a serious project. Later chapters would deal with the Canaanite genocide, people being struck with plague for daring to complain, etc. Other POV characters would include Miriam, Joshua, and Korah, among others. Probably no Moses POV chapters until at least halfway through the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom