• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon Card game been mentioned yet as a possible idea? Likely the announcement is Gray, but making a full digital version of the card game now would be pretty cool given the online capabilities to play. Its a way better idea now than back on the Gameboy eras.

That would be awesome. I'd settle for an english sequel to the card game on gbc though.
With music like this, you can't go wrong.

clemenx

Banned
Pokemon Card game been mentioned yet as a possible idea? Likely the announcement is Gray, but making a full digital version of the card game now would be pretty cool given the online capabilities to play. Its a way better idea now than back on the Gameboy eras.

This would be awesome. Even their TCG that they have in their website is pretty entertaining.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Masuda arrives with a megaton bomb that could destroy the whole Japan. Can Japanese Hitler stop him in time, or is it already too late?

FIND OUT NEXT TIME ON POKE SMASH ZZZZZZZ"

I hope they stick to sprites. The 3D models are ok but I think sprites have so much more personality. Especially now that they are animating them a bit, it just looks so awesome.

I just watched the ending!
MacArthur was the real villain. He locked Masuda up in the Imperial Palace while preparing Little Boy!

TO BE CONTINUED...
?

We're having a bit too much fun here. All I know is I want the music in Grey to use upgraded samples!

JazzmanZ

So uh..what exactly are you guys expecting?

Because as far as I'm aware the way the tv show works is they'll either reveal a Silhouette of the new thing which is most likely Kyurems alt. forme, or they'll announce a game but probably nothing but that until then.

pramath

Banned
So uh..what exactly are you guys expecting?

Because as far as I'm aware the way the tv show works is they'll either reveal a Silhouette of the new thing which is most likely Kyurems alt. forme, or they'll announce a game but probably nothing but that until then.

Confirmation of a 3DS exclusive mainline Pokemon game is all I want.

If it is Grey I really don't want just upgraded visuals and other small stuff. I want a big addition to the game to extend the gameplay. Let me visit another region Gold/Silver style.

If it's a new pokemon game, then bringgggg it.

botty

Banned
3D models would be a disaster. The 3D battles have never lived up to the charm of the sprite battles, and it might slow down the face paced battles that were finally achieved with B/W.

TreIII

Hey, I'd be down. Next to Mario Tennis GBC, the GBC version of the Pokemon TCG was one of the main things glued into my unit for weeks on end. They could perhaps even add a bit of that AR razzle-dazzle, if they really wanted to.

ZenaxPure

3D models would be a disaster. The 3D battles have never lived up to the charm of the sprite battles, and it might slow down the face paced battles that were finally achieved with B/W.

Honestly I think the battles in PBR on the Wii were fast, but my main concern with 3D models is the fear of potentially cutting tons of side content out of the game for cartridge space since I assume having everything in 3D would take more of it up. But, I dunno I am not a programmer.

udivision

Honestly I think the battles in PBR on the Wii were fast, but my main concern with 3D models is the fear of potentially cutting tons of side content out of the game for cartridge space since I assume having everything in 3D would take more of it up. But, I dunno I am not a programmer.

Textures are what would take up the extra spce. Most pokemon are simple, solid colors so that wouldnt' really be an issue. Besides, Pokemon's content has never suffered from technical limitations in that way, it's not something you'd have to worry about.

Pokemon with a StreetPass battle supplement feature that is like Super Street Fighter IV's (but more robust) would be really fun to see.

Though I would much rather prefer my iPhone had StreetPass. And Pokemon. :( Maybe one day.

udivision

You can do more with polygons though. I enjoy seeing the sense of scale you only get when playing Stadium/Battle Revolution and you see just how tiny a Pidgey is compared to a Lugia and stuff like that.

You can do more with polygons though. I enjoy seeing the sense of scale you only get when playing Stadium/Battle Revolution and you see just how tiny a Pidgey is compared to a Lugia and stuff like that.

That's a strong example of what polygons get you, but I still think a lot of the detail and personality would be lost in transition. My biggest worry though, when it comes to the moment gameplay, is that polygonal representations might slow things down. Black/White run super fast, and losing that would be a real drag.

udivision

That's a strong example of what polygons get you, but I still think a lot of the detail and personality would be lost in transition. My biggest worry though, when it comes to the moment gameplay, is that polygonal representations might slow things down. Black/White run super fast, and losing that would be a real drag.

And that personality can be gained through better animations that a polygon system lends itself too. I never found the Pokemon of Pokemon stadim lacking in "personality." Probalby one of my favorite animations of stadium is Machamps death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrWwzL4ahAM . He could benefit from a Pokedex 3D quality model.

Much of the reason why I like Game Freak is because, while most of their games sell millions of copies, their games have a "made by a small company" charm. Various reasons why I think that, from the stylistic choices in their games (simple pixel art style) to the gameplay choices (the grid-based layout in Pokemon).

Seeing this amazing, cel-shaded 3D game with top tier graphics would kind of ruin that for me. I'd rather not see Game Freak's style die than to see Pokemon "evolve" in this way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Much of the reason why I like Game Freak is because, while most of their games sell millions of copies, their games have a "made by a small company" charm. Various reasons why I think that, from the stylistic choices in their games (simple pixel art style) to the gameplay choices (the grid-based layout in Pokemon).

Seeing this amazing, cel-shaded 3D game with top tier graphics would kind of ruin that for me. I'd rather not see Game Freak's style die than to see Pokemon "evolve" in this way.

While I agree, it's still possible to invoke a quaint art style in the overworld if they went cel shaded (heck, cel shading is probably the best way to preserve it in 3D.) Full analog control would instantly bring in a lot of lapsed fans, I feel, and it's something I'd like to see happen too. The game would instantly become a lot more free and open, which suits the ideals of the series, I feel. I'm imagining a Pokemon that takes cues from the Zelda DS titles, with the overhead view. There's no reason that couldn't work for even the Gen 4 games, considering how those are full 3D in the overworld anyways.

I'm split on sprites vs. models in battle, though. Right now I'm siding with sprites, but models would make better use of the 3DS. Even still, there's no options for preserving the quaintness in battles if they switch to models (as opposed to the overworld.) With the overworld, Game Freak has basically 3D-ified everything already except the characters.

Thanks for the info on date/time guys.

Interesting discussion here. When we talk about Cel-shading, where is the emphasis? On the pastel-like soft glow with rounded outlines, or
defined, black, crisp outlines with vibrant colors? Perhaps both? Sometimes I get confused.

I think they should stick with sprites until the 3DS' successor. I don't think the 3DS is strong enough to do models justice, particularly because of 2v2 and 3v3 battles.

Anth0ny

A new TCG game with online play would be incredible, but I don't see it happening. As far as I know, the TCG is nowhere near as popular as it was during the Wizard days.

Crocodile

I'm just curious. People seem to want a whole new engine with spiffy 3D graphics for a potential Pokemon Grey version but how would you reconcile that with Black and White? Can 3DS and DS games even trade with each other? Why wouldn't you save a new engine for Gen 6?

I think they should stick with sprites until the 3DS' successor. I don't think the 3DS is strong enough to do models justice, particularly because of 2v2 and 3v3 battles.

tumblr_lyonerB6Or1qg3q94o2_250.gif

Thores

I hope they stick with sprites for as long as possible because it's just more aesthetically pleasing to me. I love the Pokemon looking like their concept art. With polygons and what have you the designs just look off, especially in comparison. Whatever extra manpower and technical ability they have to make slightly better looking 3D models, I'd rather they'd put into something like hand drawn animated Pokemon, or at least sprites with more fluid animation and move variety.

Hoenn was pretty great. People knock it a lot for all the surfing you had to do but it was kind of charming going on an ocean adventure in last third of the game, diving beneath the waters for hidden treasures and Pokemon.

Would be nice to go back there.

botty

Banned
Masuda will appear on Pokemon Smash to announce the movie event giveaway for Keldeo...

Why would Masuda announce the details of the Keldeo giveaway now, when Corocoro is scheduled to reveal Keldeo (officially) and possibly detail the giveaway next month?

Luigiv

Nooo way! It at best has the power of a PSP or Gamecube.

Spoken like someone who truly doesn't have the slightest clue about what he's talking about. The gap between the GCN and the PSP is a good half generation's worth, how can the 3DS be at best be equivalent to one or the other.

Anyway, the 3DS absolutely slaughters the PSP, there is no contest. As for "at best GCN", well sorta, I guess. It's weaker in some areas more powerful in other but is also undoubtedly more capable, so it's hard to really grade the 2 systems against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom