• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there a thing that shows all the thief skills out there somewhere yet? I saw one for guardian and elementalist...

Ferny

Can't decide between elementalist or engineer for my first character. Someone sway me?

Haven't seen enough engineer footage to really sway you that way. His general idea and gameplay sounds really cool. Elementalist seems like its going to be popular and from the videos, they look amazing.

Complistic

yeah thankfully they're going to tone down the spell effects a little.

WvW is always going to be a cluster, but you should still be able to see what's going on.

gunbo13

Does anyone else think that two Hammer warriors would be a pretty abusive combo?

Knockdowns! Knockdowns everywhere!
Knockdowns are short and have large CD. You won't be able to do that.
Can't decide between elementalist or engineer for my first character. Someone sway me?
Engineer will likely be much more difficult to master and apply towards PvE. It may feel like more of a chore at times based on the abilities. However, it may be way more interesting and at times effective in PvP/WvW. Ele is more of safe choice and should not have any instances where your abilities don't exactly fit well. I don't sway though. Just pick whatever fits better for how you like to play.

PewPewK

I dunno, I'm still swaying between Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, and Thief. I also can't decide between Human, Charr, Slyvari, Asura, or Norn...

Fuck; I haven't eliminated almost anything.

20yearoldnerd

Neo Member
I dunno, I'm still swaying between Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, and Thief. I also can't decide between Human, Charr, Slyvari, Asura, or Norn...

Fuck; I haven't eliminated almost anything.
I'm not even going to bother pre-choosing a class. The beta will tell me everything. Anything but a Warrior.

Forkball

I have a feeling warrior will not be a popular class, merely cause it seems the least interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

I always go warrior whenever there's a game where I can choose my class, but I want to try something new. But if no one is a warrior, then being a warrior will be unique and new. THE CONUNDRUM. Hopefully warriors have some anti-pew pew counter since so many classes seemed to have a lot of ranged attacked.

Arken2121

I always go warrior whenever there's a game where I can choose my class, but I want to try something new. But if no one is a warrior, then being a warrior will be unique and new. THE CONUNDRUM. Hopefully warriors have some anti-pew pew counter since so many classes seemed to have a lot of ranged attacked.

In some videos, the warrior is extremely effective damage wise with a bow. Switch it up if your foe is a bit of a distance from you.

gunbo13

That's why the warrior has multiple leap burst skills.

Arken2121

I'm not sure I want to play my release profession during beta. But then I'm not really sure what profession to go so I really have no clue what to do.

Each class can do everything in terms of damage, control and healing but the way they execute it is completely different so don't be discouraged if you think one class can't heal or deal damage as compared to another.

Retro

Don't mind me, just tossing shit out there...

NeoGAF (Short, simple, to the point. Represents the forums without question)
Gaming Age Front (as suggested by birdchili, "Gaming Age Forums" with a substitution for the "Forums" part.)
Gaming Age Force (ditto)
Guilded/Gilded Age (I kinda like this one.)
Guild Age Front /Gilded Age Force
New Golden Age (since, you know, it's a new era for MMOs)
Geeks and Freaks (Well, it certainly describes NeoGAF)
Guilty Pleasures (roll over the GAF logo)

Not serious at all:
Gentlemen Ask First.
Guess Again, Fuckhead!
Goon Assassination Force (obvious bait)
Garfield and Friends (lol)

I'm not sure I want to play my release profession during beta. But then I'm not really sure what profession to go so I really have no clue what to do.

If I get in, I will be trying all of the classes, but none of the races I want to play as. I'd rather have my personal story fresh but know for certain which class I want to play. I know every class can fill every role, but I don't know which particular flavor I want.

Ferny

Gaming Age Front (as suggested by birdchili, "Gaming Age Forums" with a substitution for the "Forums" part.)
Gaming Age Force (ditto)
Guilded Age (I kinda like this one.)

My fav ones

Forkball

Can't we just call the guild GAF? Everyone will just call it that anyways, we don't really need it to stand for anything. It's more of a state of mind!

Valnen

I like the spell effects when there are only a couple of people in one spot, but once you get 10+ it becomes an indecipherable clusterfuck. Toning them down is a necessity.

Why is toning them down for everyone a necessity? Just make it a graphics option to tone them down so people like me who like the clusterfuck can keep it.

Arken2121

Why is toning them down for everyone a necessity? Just make it a graphics option to tone them down so people like me who like the clusterfuck can keep it.

Agreed, give people options. I personally want to see all the flashy effects especially in WvWvW.

Ferny

Can't we just call the guild GAF? Everyone will just call it that anyways, we don't really need it to stand for anything. It's more of a state of mind!

That's kinda my thinking behind it. Don't really see why we need to call it a specific name. GAFers gonna GAF.

Helmholtz

This please. Tag can be GAF (of course). If the name of the guild has to be more than one word, it can be Neo GAF/Gaming Age Forums/Neo Gaming Age Forums.
Nobody can really complain about this name and it represents the guild's origin/home base.
I never said for everyone. But there must be a way to tone them down. It might be less of a problem if they fix the performance issues that were in the last closed beta, but in that WvW video as soon as a lot of effects went off the framerate took a nosedive. A lot of these effects at once obscures enemy players/targets and makes it incredibly hard to figure out what's going on.

Ashodin

The warrior also has good ranged attacks. Fight fire with fire :)

The info for this game moves way too fast for me, and there's so damn much of it that I don't know where to start.

With that said, this is the first time I've been excited for an MMO in forever. I've posted in every Guild Wars 2 thread I've seen, just here and there, just to keep it on my radar. Looking to maybe play Guardian, not sure yet.

Jira

You are comparing a screenshot from GW1 which is a direct-feed to a screenshot of a video of GW2. I think it's a bit unfair.

Also the GW1 screen is of an area out in the distance that you can't even traverse.

Nevertheless I hope it scales really well because my dual-core laptop with geforce 8600m needs to be able to play it. Can't upgrade just yet...

I ended up going to take a screen of an actual area right outside there and it still looks a bit better than the GW2 screen on low. Character textures are better as well as some distant landscape textures. My point being is that I'm praising ANet for being able to scale their game so well, not shitting on them because it looks bad. The only other companies that scale their games this well is Valve and Blizzard.

cripterion

With Guild Wars 2 becoming much more MMOish than it's predecessor, I sure hope those of us who aren't in Europe or in the US won't get burned when it comes to playing.

I could literally play the first one in Canada, France, Japan and Taiwan and never got any lag and could play with whoever I wanted.

Jira

He was chasing a ranger around for a good few minutes. I think he needs to utilize his leap better or at least change his weapon.

No surprise there, the press are idiots. You notice they only had a single siege weapon that entire time on the door rather than getting supply and building more to take down the door faster. Simon wasn't even attacking the door 95% of the time as he was out of range spamming 1. Then that group comes in and just wipes them. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom