• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

nordique

Very happy I picked this and Tales of the Abyss up for my 3DS. Have a CPP....

I must say despite all the "LOL that thing is UHG-LEE" the thing got, its actually quite comfortable.

Wish it worked with every game to be honest. The dual circle pads are great. More impressed with the CPP than the Vita's twin stick setup, other than the fact Vita's are standard

OmegaZero

Edit: Is there a way to restore suppressor/silencer strength?

Nope. Just collect them, or wear Desert Tiger camo.

EDIT: IGN review, guys:http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1219426p1.html

In many respects, Snake Eater is the perfect Metal Gear Solid title. It takes the core mechanics of the franchise and twists them, making for a far more tense and savage experience that focuses on nature and the environment over hiding behind walls and watching a radar screen. Likewise the game's story and characters are expertly crafted, in some ways topping what the original MGS entry did so well. The addition of touch screen commands and menus, plus the improvements to the overall control scheme, are certainly welcome, making an older game play reasonably well almost a decade later.

However the game isn't without its flaws. The design does have its limitations, particularly in the face of other more modern offerings. The camera, despite being fully controllable, still gets in the way, and the fact that you really need the 3DS's Circle Pad Pro accessory is a bit ridiculous. Likewise the game's cumbersome frame rate issues are a significant distraction.

If the chance to play one of the better action-adventure games of the past 10 years appeals to you, there's just one more question to ask yourself - portable or console. On the PlayStation 3, you can get three MGS games, including this one, for roughly the same price as Snake Eater 3D. There are certainly some differences (mainly in control), but the fact that MGS 3 is better suited for a home experience should not go unnoticed. That said, what is on the 3DS is still a great game - one worthy of your attention, particularly if you've never played it.

jokkir

WTFFFF my game froze and I'm almost sure I'm at the end. I haven't turned off this game since getting it two days ago :(

Edit - You're effing kidding. I'm back like 3 hours of gameplay now :\

jokkir

After my game randomly freezing on me, I finally caught back up and beat the game. Sooo gooood.

Also about the ending:
I'm guessing that's Ocelot at the end with the phone calls?

Just finished. Got the Infinity Face Paint.

Also, I noticed that the game lets you shoot the yoshis across multiple playthroughs now. Neat, I may go for that now.

pa22word

I feel like 3DS is a keeper thanks to remodeled stuff and, believe it or not, 3D.

Honestly the new textures and models are nice, but undercut by the terribly low resolution of the 3DS.

And as long as I keep dying in boss fights on Extreme because my inputs are lagging behind about a second due to the horrible framerates (THE FURY I'M LOOKING AT YOU...
actually every cobra boss fight suffers from framerate problems
) then the other versions with more consistent framerates will always be better in my mind.

Also peaking. No peaking makes this arguably the worst version of the game as far as sneaking goes >_O

To the guy wondering about
Guy Savage
, don't worry, I'm almost there! I should be able to confirm within the hour.

The intro to the game is over half an hour long man, and filled to the brim with cutscenes.

Unless you're planning a trip to Hawaii or something, I can't in good faith recommend this game to people looking for a good 'game on the go'.
Not to mention if you go to quickly save the game, you could end up in a 2 minute conversation with the save lady. Game is definitely not designed for "on the go" play. However, the 3D and gameplay improvements make it a good choice for a version to play when not "on the go".

pa22word

Took a little longer than expected, but I can confirm that
Guy Savage
is not in this version of the game.

I don't get it. Game supports sleep mode. Perfect for on the go.

So what are you going to do, watch half of the 30 min intro on the way to school/work/buddy's house/whatever, put it in sleep mode, watch the other half on the way home?

sfried

Took a little longer than expected, but I can confirm that
Guy Savage
is not in this version of the game.
How would you traditionally get this? I believe I'm in that part...
So what are you going to do, watch half of the 30 min intro on the way to school/work/buddy's house/whatever, put it in sleep mode, watch the other half on the way home?
To be frank, who says it couldn't be done?

No, because the battery would die before you were able to watch the other half. Sleep mode does not mean infinite battery life :)

pa22word

How would you traditionally get this? I believe I'm in that part...

Save immediately after the torture scene and quit to the main menu/soft rest/whatever. Load up the game and boom, Guy Savage.

Only works on the PS2 versions though.

To be frank, who says it couldn't be done?

That's not really the point.

Dreamwriter said:
No, because the battery would die before you were able to watch the other half. Sleep mode does not mean infinite battery life :)

Amen to that, haha

sfried

Save immediately after the torture scene and quit to the main menu/soft rest/whatever. Load up the game and boom, Guy Savage.

Only works on the PS2 versions though.
I've been thinking about this. Perhaps it reads your internal clock, seeing how "quiting" a 3DS game is as simple as Home Button + X?

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
Regarding down the sight aiming, all they need to do is ask which eye is dominant when you play. Then, line up the sights based on that eye's position when in first person. I did that while messing around with Modern Warfare 1/2 in 3d Vision, works great.

48 out of 64 Yoshis shot.

I will finish the Massacre Yoshi run tomorrow.

I'm hoping there's a Yoshi rank, but I assume it will just be Kerotan again.

pa22word

What exactly carries over in New Game+? Equipment? Camouflage? Everything?

Same as all past versions asfaik + one thing.
Camo, unlocked equipment (patroit, stealth suit, etc), and in the 3DS version the Yoshi's carry over from game to game

Just finished my hard run:

PT: 4:39:47
Saves: 14
continues: 0
Alerts: 0
Kills: 0
Injuries: 11
Total damage taken: 3 bars
Medicine used: 0

probably not going to put myself through a BB run of this version due to the FPS problems will cause me to tear my damned hair out during the boss fights. but who knows.

Ahem...

IMG_20120226_161214.jpg

Am I the first again? :)

pa22word

Ahem...

Am I the first again? :)

Niiiiice.

I was thinking of doing a Yoshi run myself now that I've done the zero kill/alert/LM + sub 5 hour run, but eh. Does the game track and somehow show you which Yoshi's you have and haven't shot yet? I know they carry over, but it seems pretty pointless if they don't have a little Yoshi icon pop up on the pause screen map somewhere telling you if you've found it on that particular map (or something of that nature).

Oh and hey, is there a unique Yoshi for every time you go through a previously visited location? Eg, is there a new Yoshi every time you
revisit Grozny Grad?

I never did a Kerotan run in the original version of MGS3 due to it seeming too tedious, but due to the portability it's seemingly easier to put up with imo.

Niiiiice.

I was thinking of doing a Yoshi run myself now that I've done the zero kill/alert/LM + sub 5 hour run, but eh. Does the game track and somehow show you which Yoshi's you have and haven't shot yet? I know they carry over, but it seems pretty pointless if they don't have a little Yoshi icon pop up on the pause screen map somewhere telling you if you've found it on that particular map (or something of that nature).

Oh and hey, is there a unique Yoshi for every time you go through a previously visited location? Eg, is there a new Yoshi every time you
revisit Grozny Grad?

I never did a Kerotan run in the original version of MGS3 due to it seeming too tedious, but due to the portability it's seemingly easier to put up with imo.

The only time that happens is between Virtuous Mission and Snake Eater. Those first five zones have Yoshis in different locations each time.

Also, the game doesn't seem to track how many you've shot and where, even on repeat playthroughs. So, you're right; it is useless that they carry over.

pa22word

Never mind solved it myself.

Aaaaaaand just got my Yoshi rank. Only two things left to do now: play very well and score me a FH rank, or play intentionally bad to score the ranks I don't have XD

sfried

What's the trick to
CQCing Volgin
? I'm not used to how insta-throws are done.

Edit: Kinda figured it out. I still have problem with
Phase 2 of the fight

pa22word

What's the trick to
CQCing Volgin
? I'm not used to how insta-throws are done.

for CQCing him:
once the electricity clears his body you can grab him. the electricity clears his body after an attack. That being said, the best way to down him is to enable auto-lock and get behind him after an attack and just keep firing until his v ulnerability phase ends. The quickest (and cheesiest) way to down him is to equip your gun of choice just long enough for him to begin his magnetized lightning bolt move, uneqiup your weapon, and then run behind him and unload. Rinse repeat.

Edit: Kinda figured it out. I still have problem with
Phase 2 of the fight

for the attack where he charges and throws bullets at you from every direction:
just go prone

for when he ducks and charges the ground with lightning:
just roll over them and unload into his back

for the rest of his attacks just keep to the above^ and you should down him easy. Oh and if you're still having issues just
equip the Raidenovich mask and Volgin will give you a free vulnerability phase to advantage of

Oh and yay all I have to do is beat the
second battle with volgin and onward
and I have me a shiny new Foxhound emblem to look at @__@

EDIT: yay finally got me a Foxhound rank! What an amazing game.

CorvoSol

Anybody have a good tip for hitting the Yoshi statue on the airstrip on the motorcycle? I've tried machine guns, RPG, Sniper, nothing really seems to work. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

pa22word

Anybody have a good tip for hitting the Yoshi statue on the airstrip on the motorcycle? I've tried machine guns, RPG, Sniper, nothing really seems to work. Is there a trick to this I'm missing?

Honestly, I just used the SVD and kept reloading my save until I hit it. The resolution combined with the really bad deadzones on the 3DS and frankenstick (respectively) made that one the Hardest to hit in the entire game IMO.

Honestly, I just used the SVD and kept reloading my save until I hit it. The resolution combined with the really bad deadzones on the 3DS and frankenstick (respectively) made that one the Hardest to hit in the entire game IMO.

100% agreed.

I also used the SVD. It's hard to describe, but there's a part near the beginning of that sequence in which EVA stops for about 5 seconds, near the downed tower, before she begins to drive towards the tower. If you shoot it right then, you'll be able to actually HEAR the Yoshi sound once she drives by it. That's the only way to be 100% sure that you hit it. Otherwise, you just have to trust your vision, and see if it moves.

Top Bottom