• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss |OT| Drake arrives at a smaller screen near you!

Bebpo

Banned
Is there any way to see your stats (like how many kills you have so far with each weapon?) that's nice when going for some of the trophies, so it seems a bit lame if it's not in this one.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished this tonight. Couldn't put it down for the last 4-5 hours or so. Ran out of battery and had to finish the final 2 chapters plugged into the wall.

It's a very good game overall and I have to admit it surprised me because it doesn't open very well. The first impressions are that this is an uglier, worse controlling, smaller environment, not as well written Uncharted. I don't think they should have started with that prologue chapter. And then it doesn't help that right after it you get a couple of chapters of TOUCH AND MINI-GAME tutorials. And the game is constantly making you touch things. I have to admit I was a little worried.

It started getting better around chapter 4 or 5, still felt very Peace Walker-ish, smaller, bite-sized uncharted.

Then around chapter 14 or so it got into its own rhythm and the battles started getting exciting and fun and the pacing was hitting the right notes of exploration and combat.

Then chapter 21 hits and woooooooooooooooooooooooow. From 21 until the end the game is a REAL CONSOLE UNCHARTED game, that even outdoes some of its console brothers. The final 1/3rd of the game is excellently paced full of gorgeous environments, witty dialogues, lots of varied scenarios, GREAT combat, platforming, exploration, story, everything is just right. And I need to bring up the music because I thought it was some of the best in the series and really built up some of the action scenes to feel truly epic movie scenarios where you're totally pumped to go through the climax of this tale and be the hero character saving the day.

Also graphically, I was kind of down on the visuals early on because of the sub-HD and the framerate and smaller environment and IQ. The areas looked ok, but definitely not like Uncharted console. But damn, the last 3rd of the game is just one incredible looking location after another. Incredibly impressive visuals from a tech perspective AND an art direction perspective. I know they wanted to save the best for last, but in a lengthy game like this, and especially being a launch title, they should have opened with some incredible visuals like the end areas to give off a better first impression to people trying out the system. The final area in the game is just stunning and easily on par with the best looking areas from Uncharted 1.

It also had some really nice movie like memorable scenes.
exploring the ghost lake in the canoe, this mysterious ancient setting, in a calm way with low-key music and character development with only the rowing, it felt like I was watching a very good scene from a very good movie. Really hit the right notes.

I think if I had to break it into pros and cons it'd go:

Pros:
+Length, long and meaty
+Graphics/Art - looks amazing
+Music - sounds amazing
+Combat - once you get the hang of the controls, the huge selection of fun weapons makes the combat great (outside melee touch controls :( )
+Hidden collectibles everywhere!
+Story mostly made sense
+Chase was a good sidekick
+Touch climbing works
+Camera/Photos were kind of fun

Cons:
-Too many forced touch controls. Namely, touch QTEs were lame. Especially at the end
having the boss fights be touch QTEs was a cop out. Would rather have just had a cutscene if it was going to be like that so at least I could sit back and enjoy watching it.
-THE PUZZLES THAT STOP THE CHAPTER IN THE MIDDLE OF RUNNING FORWARD TO ROTATE AND PIECE TOGETHER SCRAPS OF PAPER FOR NO LOGICAL REASON HAVING TO DO WITH THE PLOT. I never even figured out what the hell they were trying to accomplish by interrupting your game with these; but they were EXTREMELY annoying and destroying the pacing/atmosphere of the adventure.
-The antagonists don't have much development even though they have a lot of scenes. They don't make a whole lot of sense in their actions.
Dante's story is just WEIRD. He's friends with Drake, not friends, friends, wants to go save Chase so Drake shows up and kills the people he hired and they're enemies again. What. The changes in the character were really random
-Trophies suck compared to U1-3. What I like about U1-3 is for the collect-a-thon trophies you get them in increments. Like at your first treasure, at 20% treasure completion, 40%, 60%. So that way even if you don't get 100% you'll still get rewarded for finding a lot of them. Here you get a trophy for your first and then like half the trophies in the game are tied to 100% completion on all the treasures/mysteries so if you aren't using a guide and won't get 100% on practically any of them, you barely get any trophies by the end.

That's about it. There isn't a whole lot "wrong" with the game besides the touch stuff. It's just a very satisfying Uncharted adventure that has good length, combat, exploration, graphics, music, and a solid story to tie the whole package up into a game that imo is a little better than Uncharted 1 or 3 even if it's still nowhere near 2. In order for Bend to do a GA sequel that is as good as U2 or better it would just need 1) more spectacular set pieces, 2) more varied locations (fire/ice/water/city/something besides jungle/cave/temple), 3) better antagonists and support characters. All 3 of which I think they could totally do with a sequel, so I hope they get the chance. Look at the improvement Ready at Dawn made from GoW: Chains of Olympus -> Ghost of Sparta. Would love to see Bend do another take on Uncharted.

Was a great experience and one of the best games I've played this year so far. Looking forward to replaying it in the future and very happy that, like with Resistance, Bend has done good with another team's franchise.

Oh and the game has some craaazy good lighting effects. Between flashlights and torches and just the lighting outside in certain areas, the lighting is probably the most impressive lighting I've seen on a portable. Makes me want a portable Silent Hill on this engine, haha.

Defuser

I beat the game and I'm satisfied with it. It was very slow and unimpressive at the beginning but then it ramp it up when nearing the climax which returns to true uncharted form of heart stopping action and adrenaline. I'm very pleased of what Bend has done I hope they continued to make Uncharted vita games.

+ Gun combat is good and takes a while to get to use to.
+ Beautiful environments and lightning which I can't believe it's on a handheld
+ Witty and funny dialogue bantering between Drake,Dante,Chase and
Sully
. Hugh amount of it too which puts UC1/2/3 to shame.
+ Touch climbing and bow rowing is a nice feature to implement.
+ Over 30 chapters which is the first for Uncharted.

- Charcoal rubbing can die in the fucking fire.
- Touch melee combat can die in the fucking fire.
- Machete cutting can die in the fucking fire.
- Forced rotating puzzle pieces can die in the fucking fire.
- - - - - - NO UNLOCKABLES,NOT EVEN A CINEMA MODE!! This shit is unforgivable.

SToRM

I started playing yesterday and I have to say that chapter 1 blew me away. I'm very impressed to see such graphics on a handheld.

Raonak

Banned
About 27 chapters in...

really, liking it. I was afraid i might've gotten tired of it quickly since U3 just came out (and i just platinumed it a week before the vita came out) but no, really enjoying it.

Touch controls are hit and miss; swiping actions are lame (including the bamboo cutting) rotating picture stuff is meh. it was nice the first 3 times, but got annoying.
I still enjoy charcoal rubbings though. they're quick, easy, it feels good doing it.
The touch climbing stuff, i didn't use at first, but i started liking it a lot. It's quite neat. it's not like climbing required any skill in the first place.

Gyro Aim... is amazing. Makes headshots such a breese to pull of. I'd been using it all throughout the game, but the last chapter it just clicked with me. actually chose M4 over the Dragon Snipers in sniping sections, just because headshots were so easy to pull off.
Even easier than dualshock aiming on PS3.

the vita analogs themselves have a bit of a learning curve, but i've gotten pretty good with them now.

I constantly have to remind myself that this isn't a PS3 game. graphics constantly wow me. It feels like a full fledged uncharted game.

Can't wait to see what happens. Seems like something interesting is around the corner.

I'm glad to hear it picks up a little later. I'm only in Chapter 6, and while the last couple of chapters were better, I've just been putting the game down after completing each chapter because I just wasn't having too much fun. Like Bebpo said in his post, the touch stuff is just non-stop in the beginning.

I know it's probably a matter of getting adjusted to the analog sticks on the Vita, but I'm still having a lot of trouble aiming accurately. Based on impressions in the thread, I'll try using Gyro a little more.

20120224003213.jpg

20120224002105.jpg

20120224001837.jpg

20120224001819.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The only time I had a problem where it wouldn't advance is when I killed
the guy shooting the huge gun at Sully with a grenade before I did the platforming to where I was supposed to kill him from.
I had to quit and pick the chapter from the chapter select to be able to do it again and proceed.

Bebpo

Banned
Ugh, I have to farm enemies to complete bounty sets? This sucks.

Yeah, I wouldn't go for a platinum in this. It's obvious with the bounty stuff they were depending on a thriving black market where you can trade bounties to complete your sets, but that's not very realistic for everyone.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, I wouldn't go for a platinum in this. It's obvious with the bounty stuff they were depending on a thriving black market where you can trade bounties to complete your sets, but that's not very realistic for everyone.

Well the near stuff uses your friend list too...but I hardly get trades. Will probably need to add people who have everything already

matmanx1

Toys r us finally delivered my copy yesterday that I ordered back before the Vita FEB had even launched. I'm liking the full game fat better than the demo and despite the jaggies the game really does look good in motion. Can't wait to dig in deeper with the game even though I'm juggling more Vita games at once than I really should he at this point.

- J - D -

Just realized the photo missions I've been doing didn't count because I pressed the 'back' icon instead of the check mark icon every time. Will need to go back and re-do them, which is a prospect that I loathe, because the game is really finnicky about what constitutes a 100% grade photo when sometimes it means one that is very dissimilar to the example/target photo.

Probably the worst part of the game to me.

UberTag

Well the near stuff uses your friend list too...but I hardly get trades. Will probably need to add people who have everything already
Feel free to add me fellas (same name as on GAF).
Don't let all of my bounty grinding for my own profile be wasted on just my own Platinum.

Shane86

Holy Christ, the mandatory six-axis controls avoiding the rocks in the river, what the fuck were they thinking? I've died six times in the same fucking spot.

Holy Christ, the mandatory six-axis controls avoiding the rocks in the river, what the fuck were they thinking? I've died six times in the same fucking spot.

Drake talking about how "who doesn't love a good charcoal rubbing" made me actively hate the game.
I'd really like to know if Sony mandated these terrible touch controls or if Bend thought it was a good idea.

Raine

Drake talking about how "who doesn't love a good charcoal rubbing" made me want to tear my fucking eyes out.
I'd really like to know if Sony mandated these terrible touch controls or if Bend thought it was a good idea.

Nope. Bend said Sony didn't mandate anything. It was all them.

Bebpo

Banned
Really? That makes me think a lot less of Bend. They're obviously a great developer, but how could they think all the touch stuff was good? The charcoal rubbings especially since there are dozens of them and it gets old. The stop the game and rotate puzzle pieces are the worst. Especially since you can just cheat but moving the pieces around and it'll auto-lock them lol.

For those having trouble with balancing, it's actually the easiest balancing I've seen in a game...ever. The trick is just to hold the system vertical and still. It'll sit in the middle and never even move. Then you just wait 5-10 seconds and it's over. If you try moving around that's when it gets crazy and you have to keep up with it. Seriously, just hold it straight once it starts and don't move the Vita.

Just realized the photo missions I've been doing didn't count because I pressed the 'back' icon instead of the check mark icon every time. Will need to go back and re-do them, which is a prospect that I loathe, because the game is really finnicky about what constitutes a 100% grade photo when sometimes it means one that is very dissimilar to the example/target photo.

I found the main thing it cares about for photos is just the zoom level. So once you have it right, just zoom in or out and the % will raise and then you'll get it. I stopped bothering with framing because it really doesn't care about the little details, just that you're pointing at the thing and have the right zoom level. Photos got really quick and easy when I figured that out.

I think about i'm about halfway through...

Loving this game so far. Nolan North's one liners continue to get me.
"Nice Jeans.."
lol.gif

6FfcOl.jpg

bjCmZl.jpg

Drakes gonna Drake.

Holy shit, I just came across an in-game blooper / easter egg in my Crushing playthrough while trying to mop up every collectible. I'm not sure if it's the Crushing run that did it, but VERY late in the game, on Chapter
31 when you find the Golden Throne, the cutscene plays out a bit differently...
The best part is that it was rendered in-game so I didn't see it coming at all. Awesome, and hilarious!

Edit: Went ahead and recorded + uploaded it to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6kcKNjFbw
Spoilers, obviously.
Edit2: Edited the description of the video out, so the surprise isn't ruined.

hayejin

And they had the nerve to put 3 treasures during the river level. F'ing bastards. Only saving grace was once you got the treasure it saved immediately so you didn't have to get it again on retry.

hayejin

It only cares about zoom level. Make the zoom level same as the photo tells you then you get 100% regardless if it's exactly like the photo or not.

WTF why can I not walk across a LOG in this game? There is a spot in my hell for the designer who puts gimmicky balance puzzles in a game in 2012. Scratch that, 2011 (i'm looking at my unfinished copy of Skyward Sword).

I have no idea how to cross the log over the river in chapter 2. UI gives no help and motion/ touching doesn't seem to have any effect. I've died here like six times because he doesn't grab the log the first time he slips.

I feel completely stupid right now. Not a good feeling this early in the game :/ (Not to mention your wise-crackin sidekick. Even DRAKE is annoyed by him.)

Help?

EDIT: Got it first try after venting. Almost made me angrier LOL. Enjoying the game so far but echoing everyone - way too many touch puzzles. Having Trophy reminders pop up on every one of them isn't helping either. It's a constant reminder that I'm wasting my time to earn a Trophy that isn't real. "Except it is." Damn you Kevin Butler!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
WTF why can I not walk across a LOG in this game? There is a spot in my hell for the designer who puts gimmicky balance puzzles in a game in 2012. Scratch that, 2011 (i'm looking at my unfinished copy of Skyward Sword).

I have no idea how to cross the log over the river in chapter 2. UI gives no help and motion/ touching doesn't seem to have any effect. I've died here like six times because he doesn't grab the log the first time he slips.

I feel completely stupid right now. Not a good feeling this early in the game :/ (Not to mention your wise-crackin sidekick. Even DRAKE is annoyed by him.)

Help?

Are you tilting the controller left and right to avoid the meter going to one side completely?
You say the motion doesn't work but that's what you're supposed to do. I haven't fallen yet, it's just a nuisance really.

Bebpo

Banned
Got to Chapter 31 but my battery died! Was hoping to finish it up tonight. Just loving it so far.

Yeah, my battery died around there and I had to play the final chapters plugged into the wall. Last bunch of hours are so engrossing you just keep playing and then battery dies :(

Will the second generation of Vita games be a step up visually?
Golden Abyss looks amazing and would be damn near perfect with AA

Are you tilting the controller left and right to avoid the meter going to one side completely?
You say the motion doesn't work but that's what you're supposed to do. I haven't fallen yet, it's just a nuisance really.

Problem was i was way overcompensating and turning the Vita almost sideways (both ways as i wasn't even sure which direction to go). You're supposed to hold it totally still. Blurg.

I hope I get out of this jungle soon. I kinda hoped they'd take the series somewhere new. Plus,it lessens the blow of the direct comparison to the PS3 games. GA looks great, no doubt, but all three console games best it handily so far in the jungle setting head-to-heads.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

A friend offered me something of his for trade, I took his item then I couldn't suss out how to give him one as a trade. Win/win
for me

Apath

-Trophies suck compared to U1-3. What I like about U1-3 is for the collect-a-thon trophies you get them in increments. Like at your first treasure, at 20% treasure completion, 40%, 60%. So that way even if you don't get 100% you'll still get rewarded for finding a lot of them. Here you get a trophy for your first and then like half the trophies in the game are tied to 100% completion on all the treasures/mysteries so if you aren't using a guide and won't get 100% on practically any of them, you barely get any trophies by the end.
I agree completely. I've gotten a ton of collectables and hidden treasures, but if you don't get all of them you see no benefit. This leads to exactly what you described: not a steady, progressive flow of trophies, but rather a grind to try and find every last one. I explore every level pretty thoroughly to make sure I don't miss anything, and I've still missed one or more in just about every chapter so far. Eventually I will have all of them so it's kind of moot in the end, but I'd still like to see the little trophy indicator pop up a little more often as I advance through the game.

Ugh, I have to farm enemies to complete bounty sets? This sucks.
Yeah, seriously. I thought there were only two bounty sets, so I didn't get the hate. Then I realized that killing hundreds of enemies hasn't even netted me half of the bounties in the game. I have 19/30 in one, and 5/whatever in Arcana Major. All of the rest I haven't found anything for yet. This is going to be a real pain to get through =\
I've actually like the photo stuff a lot. The Vita makes it an intuitive experience, just like using a real camera. It's also a nice break between exploring, platforming, and combat. In fact I've enjoyed all of the puzzles and touch screen mini-games, save the lock stuff. I definitely prefer the puzzles and the like so far a lot more than what we saw in Uncharted 1 and 2.
I liked that part. I didn't have a problem with it, and I only died when I failed to grab a treasure so I'd kill myself to restart. I really liked the change in gameplay, and it's quite short anyways.

However the balancing shit that pops up every time you walk across a narrow bridge type object really annoys me. It's not difficult, it's just a tedious and annoying. It's like "Oh shit! I'm now 3/4 across the bridge and now it's time to sway back and forth randomly!" Why couldn't they just make you have to balance as you walked across, rather than interrupting gameplay to have you balance back and forth?

Completed this last night. Some impressions...

So Golden Abyss is my first game for the Vita, and thus my introduction to this brand spanking new piece of hardware. Upon starting the game up and playing through the prologue, my heart immediately sank and I got a wretched feeling that buying the handheld was a huge mistake. Jaggies everywhere, a notable downgrade from the graphics of the first Uncharted (despite the ludicrous claims of some folks on here) and the controls... oh Lawd the controls. The game just chucks you into the deep end nearly straight away with a sizeable gunfight that I failed three times, despite being an Uncharted veteran with 3 platinums under my belt. I was wrestling with analog sticks and wayward control scheme and failing miserably.

Perseverance though, is the key. From about Chapter 4 onwards, things slowly started to click. Gunplay was less of a lottery, and my aptitude for aiming with both the right stick and gyroscope was increasing significantly. The plot started to pick up the pace and became more involving and I swear, the game was even starting to look better too. Maybe it was a case of the daylight segments being a better showcase for the Vita's graphical capabilities, but nothing looked as flat and generally unimpressive as that prologue. By about Chapter 12 (at a guess) I was very much relieved to find myself completely won over. Overall I'd say Golden Abyss is a great game, worthy of the Uncharted name. The mind boggles at what Bend could achieve with a follow-up more ambitious in scope, and with many of the creases ironed out.

Random thoughts...

- Marisa Chase >>>>> Elena Fisher, seriously. Way more likable, less whiny, more compatible with Nate; she's the Marion Ravenwood to Elena's...whoever. Willie Scott isn't a very apt comparison but I'll just go with that one anyway.

- A lot of the touchscreen stuff is gimmicky, but at least adds a bit of variety to the action. Charcoal rubbings were oddly satisfying, and some of the interactive puzzles were great. Balancing on logs was eye-rolling however.

- Those two colossal-sized QTEs towards the end were an abomination. With a sometimes unresponsive touchscreen and little room for error, they had me tearing my hair out on the umpteenth attempt. There's a right way to do QTEs and a wrong way and this was most definitely a case of the latter.

Uncharted 3 - 9/10
Uncharted 2 - 8.5/10
Uncharted: GA - 8/10
Uncharted - 7/10

I'll get the platinum and then it's onto Super Stardust Delta next.

Top Bottom