• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

African tribes hunting with spears in Africa... most depressing video I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN6C1ur1t8

The part with the elephant killed me. :( I know it's a way of life there, but Jesus Christ it's hard to watch.

I did a search but didn't find anything, so I apologize if the video has been posted before.

Sorry for the redundant title: "African tribes... in Africa." No duh. lol

Derwind

At least they don't make an industry out of confining animals in cages much smaller than they should be and pumping whatever they can out of them till they die(Milk, Eggs)....

Hunting is natural and no more crueler or depressing than how we get meat on our tables today...

Not that I feel at all ashamed at eating grocery meats... I fight anyone who gets in between me and my bacon!

Fritz

I thought they'd be way more efficient. Best cost-benefit ratio was definitely the elephant, albeit sadest as well.

Jacobi

Banned
Do you... eat meat?
If you do, don't complain about this, the animals that die in this video had a much better life than the animals you eat.

.GqueB.

Banned
Wait I'm genuinely confused. Were you depressed that they are hunting animals or the fact that they were so horrible at it?

Do you... eat meat?
If you do, don't complain about this, the animals that die in this video had a much better life than the animals you eat.

This. I kind of wish everyone would go Zuckerberg and only eat meat that they kill, descale, and pluck themselves. I hate it when meat is described as 'protein'...you're eating an animal, think about it as you do it.

Bombadil

Banned
Do you... eat meat?

Yeah, but we recognize how fucked up it is so we hide our atrocities in far off places. Out of sight, out of mind.

Obviously it's not easy for some people to watch this sort of thing in our society (from all the thumbs down), but this is life for these people. Nature and all that. I have no problem with this.

Not even gonna watch. But what do you expect a tribe to do? They can't exactly go to the vegan supermarket.
They are part of the natural food chain, and could well be killed and eaten themselves (e.g. lion, crocodile).
So while this is indeed unsettling and I hope that someday every tribe will have arrived on a civilized level, it isn't that much different from a cheetah killing a gazelle.

/endfuckingthread

bravo good sir

Some people don't eat meat. Amazing, huh?
/openfuckingthread

Not even gonna watch. But what do you expect a tribe to do? They can't exactly go to the vegan supermarket.
They are part of the natural food chain, and could well be killed and eaten themselves (e.g. lion, crocodile).
So while this is indeed unsettling and I hope that someday every tribe will have arrived on a civilized level, it isn't that much different from a cheetah killing a gazelle.

/openfuckingthread

Yep....arrived on a civilized level. We are so civilized with the way we process our meat......

lol

.GqueB.

Banned

What does "civilized" mean? What we do? Lol

I just hope that one day they'll be trained to better incapacite the animal instead of the "stab it until it dies" method they seem to employ.

Do you... eat meat?
True, true.

But you can't fault a man for still feeling bad when he sees an animal dieing a slow painful death.

Add to that the fact that elephants are an endangered species. Not the fault of these tribes off course. They're practically the only people who kill elephants for legit reasons. But again, it makes for a sad video to watch.

/openfuckingthread

Yep, this is why I don't get vegetarians that don't eat meat just because a animal is dying for that meat. I can totally understand it if people don't eat meat because they don't like the taste or don't agree with how the animals they eat are treated. But to not eat meat because animals have to die is bizzarre to me.

alphaNoid

Banned
This. I kind of wish everyone would go Zuckerberg and only eat meat that they kill, descale, and pluck themselves. I hate it when meat is described as 'protein'...you're eating an animal, think about it as you do it.

I think about the animals every time I eat them. I think about how tasty and delicious they are.

VALIS

Where did the OP ever say it was wrong? All he said was it's hard to watch. I swear some of you hit refresh on the OT all day looking for opportunities to scold people.

Derwind

True, true.

But you can't fault a man for still feeling bad when he sees an animal dieing a slow painful death.

Add to that the fact that elephants are an endangered species. Not the fault of these tribes off course. They're practically the only people who kill elephants for legit reasons. But again, it makes for a sad video to watch.

Of course death is sad. No one suggest people be excited or happy by watching things die.

However the sentiment that our methods of putting meat on the table is any less depressing or cruel is beyond me.

akira28

Whats depressing about it? They don't have rifles?

If this is some boo-hoo poor animals angle, I curse you to live forever without grocery stores.

True, true.

I dont think that african elephants are endangered.

Log4Girlz

WTF, do they really need to spear something a thousand times? The meat is going to be dry by the time they eat it. They need to lock in the juices.

Arcteryx

Didn't really feel anything til the elephant part...sad to see it pulling spears out with its trunk, but that's life.

And yea, like above, this is tame compared to the shit that goes on in meat farms.

Derwind

It's the most endangered large animal in the continent but it's not exactly on the endangered list.

WTF, do they really need to spear something a thousand times? The meat is going to be dry by the time they eat it. They need to lock in the juices.

Killing it faster? More merciful than letting it bleed out from a few wounds till it dies.

Of course death is sad. No one suggest people be excited or happy by watching things die.

However the sentiment that our methods of putting meat on the table is any less depressing or cruel is beyond me.

But neither I nor the person I quoted implied this.

I'd say that, in general, we westerners treat our animals far worse during their lives ("product not yet in stores"), but the method to kill them is probably less painful and more swift than stabbing a huge animal slowly until it dies. The end result is still not in our favor though. At least in the case of tribes hunting, the animal had a decent chance at a good life in its own environment. We offer nothing like that to animals.

They are. According to this site. Upon your question I decided to search some more, and this site lists them as "vulernable", one notch above endangered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom