• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Redford

aka Cabbie
Finally finished OT1, really nice brainstorming on some of the blurry pics.

Curious, Powerhouse was the first Reach map we saw, right? Funny how it turned out to be arguably the only good disc map. Hype aside, do you think we have a winner in either of these new ones? Could you sort of tell, Devo? (Wraparound is an okay name and I like it, but I think it could be better, especially if it is one of the more competitive ones.)

Computron

Curious, Powerhouse was the first Reach map we saw, right? Funny how it turned out to be arguably the only good disc map. Hype aside, do you think we have a winner in either of these?

Clearly it will be the Valhalla remake

GhaleonEB

I hope the hype/media train is consistent from here on out and not where we get another blackout until E3 or something.

I'm really hoping for follow-up press coverage. Edge is said to have a preview in their next issue; my hope is they had closed-door press events at the show where follow-up information and media will release through. And of course, supplementary material can now flow via the podcasts and Bulletins now that they have revealed the game.

Falagard

You guys switched threads on me and I got beat by a minute.

Can't believe we are nerding out and overanylizing some pxels in a video.

I think I saw multiple gunmen trying to kill JFK in there somewhere too. :)

I can, this is all we're going to be able to do for the several weeks until they decide to share another scrap or two of information.

100 post master race.
Only newbz want to scroll down more every time they open a thread.

I'm really hoping for follow-up press coverage. Edge is said to have a preview in their next issue; my hope is they had closed-door press events at the show where follow-up information and media will release through. And of course, supplementary material can now flow via the podcasts and Bulletins now that they have revealed the game.
I'd really love a campaign trailer before E3, and maybe a Game Informer cover for May?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hey Comp, where did that animation of MC with the grenade psitol come from btw? If it was in the ViDoc I totally missed it. :p

---

(I'm with Enzo on the multiplayer canon thing, I really hope it's more than just "training" and I'm sure it will be.)

Curious, Powerhouse was the first Reach map we saw, right? Funny how it turned out to be arguably the only good disc map. Hype aside, do you think we have a winner in either of these new ones? Could you sort of tell, Devo? (Wraparound is an okay name and I like it, but I think it could be better, especially if it is one of the more competitive ones.)

Hard to tell without playing these yourself and since there were no weps on the map flythroughs, even harder to gauge what areas will be coveted.

Wait, is the other team Green in this picture, or is that an effect from it being off screen? If so, things like loadouts may only be present in certain gametypes.

Also notice grenade logo next to Grenadier, with 3 Frags, that must be a perk/class that give you an extra grenade.

Another thing is that logo in the top left of the screen looks like it could be a logo for a jump pack/thrusters with a meter below it.

I think we're underestimating 343 if the existence of forge would somehow negatively impact what they've got going on with maps thus far. I hope some map stuff comes out soon so people can be much less wary of that.

Regardless of people's confidence in 343's map making ability for Halo 4, people (including myself) are going to be understandably concerned about Forge impacting the rest of the maps because of what happened with Reach's maps due in part to Forge.

That doesn't mean I think that 343 is shipping half the maps as Forge maps.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I remember people going nuts over the "amazing sight lines" on Boardwalk when it was first shown. :lol

So, am I going crazy or do I see eyes behind the visor?
03BNy.jpg

M-Slayer = Multi-Slayer = Multi-Team?

Probably explains green team.
That also makes sense.

Yup, I really hope as the week goes on they share some more direct feed screens and some b-roll footage similar to what the press saw with a little more later this month. I am a little surprised we didn't get a tad more today, as this was more akin to a teaser of a teaser, with decent substance.

The rate of fire of the DMR (and any weapon that would ideally be inspired by it) was too slow at long range to kill anybody, because they could easily get to cover to recharge their shields. As such, it was good for pestering and assisting teammates in battle from a distance, not great for actually racking up kills at a distance.
The DMR's range always puts the player on edge because at any point in the map they can start getting pinged by DMR fire even though they may not be killed (and that's still annoying). The DMR pushes the combat farther apart than they otherwise would be, making for less interesting and dynamic combat (no chance of greande use, melee).

Only 2x scope, please.

Computron

I can, this is all we're going to be able to do for the several weeks until they decide to share another scrap or two of information.

So, have you made halo maps or used UDK/other?

Hey Comp, where did that animation of MC with the grenade psitol come from btw? If it was in the ViDoc I totally missed it. :p

---

(I'm with Enzo on the multiplayer canon thing, I really hope it's more than just "training" and I'm sure it will be.)

Yea, its 1:38 into the making of vidoc, on the right.

Computron

Show me the ropes guys, I can barely even tell what thread I am in usuallly. What thread are we sticking too and are there any NeoGAF enhancement suites for chrome? What about on iPhone?

While I'm going all stream of consciousness, outside of the gameplay concerns, the sound of sprint is just irritating.

If I have to deal with it in Halo 4, please just keep the character silent, I don't want to hear constant wheezing asthma Spartans again. Give sprint another kind of audio cue.

Havok

Show me the ropes guys, I can barely even tell what thread I am in usuallly. What thread are we sticking too and are there any NeoGAF enhancement suites for chrome? What about on iPhone?
They're fairly interchangeable, or at least they have been in the past. Administration just wants new news to have new threads. Nirolak is great about splitting them off if other people don't.

I think Gaming side threads are a neat avenue to debate design with people that otherwise wouldn't post in a community thread, since there is a barrier to entry to get things going in threads like this.

GAF on iPhone begins and ends here: http://secondapps.com/neogaf/

Redford

aka Cabbie
I remember seeing a screenshot of someone's iOS homescreen and it had a GAF app icon, did we ever have a dedicated app? (not web-based)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I remember seeing a screenshot of someone's iOS homescreen and it had a GAF app icon, did we ever have a dedicated app? (not web-based)
No. Not needed. Also helps that secondapps, being web, works on just about anything that isn't a desktop user agent.

Raide

Who here votes for forge being axed in exchange for better and more original MP maps? Other then Grifball and a few maps that shine I really think the forge experiment failed overall in Halo 3 and Reach. Complete editor or nothing....go big or go home. Also leave it for Halo 5 and just concentrate on the basics for Halo 4.

Hell no. Reach Forge was awesome but the colour palette was really limited, which ended up giving us lots of very similar looking maps. Some of them were actually awesome but having lots of gray maps really grated after a while.

If 343i can expand on it with way more variety, plus make lighting an important factor, it will lead to some awesome maps.

As suggested many moons ago, they should just make a PC map editor and let it transfer to the game.

Disregard my earlier thought of eyes behind the visor, while going through the footage it just seems the light bunches up and reflects from some angles, which give the appearance of eyes-

3epZa.png

Computron

---

New |OT| so ill post it here for those who haven't seen:

Q9kXZ.gif

Really guys what is that thing?

Oh, and new SlowMo GIF I made to show off Wraparound:

ibclIQcwxNV8jk.gif

Redford

aka Cabbie
Kind of need some form of Forge for community edits, but I wouldn't mind if, like you say, we got better maps. Although I don't see that as being a necessary trade-off.

I don't have a single FW map that I consistently enjoyed...

New |OT| so ill post it here for those who haven't seen:

Fanny pack!

GhaleonEB

So, where is Waypoint on the new dashboard? I never found it after the redesign, and having spent five minutes just now trying, I still can't.

The new dashboard is...not good.

senador

Banned
image.php

Using Homeboyd's avatar image since I'm too lazy to get a bigger one... There's a lot of white on these models. Possiblity that these could be replaced with a play picked color à la Halo 2? Would be awesome.

They're fairly interchangeable, or at least they have been in the past. Administration just wants new news to have new threads. Nirolak is great about splitting them off if other people don't.

I think Gaming side threads are a neat avenue to debate design with people that otherwise wouldn't post in a community thread, since there is a barrier to entry to get things going in threads like this.

GAF on iPhone begins and ends here: http://secondapps.com/neogaf/

The new one is slick but limited right now: http://secondapps.com/mockup.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, where is Waypoint on the new dashboard? I never found it after the redesign, and having spent five minutes just now trying, I still can't.

Somewhere in Games, there's a tile called Game Hubs.

New Dashboard is brilliant.

NOKYARD

While I'm going all stream of consciousness, outside of the gameplay concerns, the sound of sprint is just irritating.

If I have to deal with it in Halo 4, please just keep the character silent, I don't want to hear constant wheezing asthma Spartans again. Give sprint another kind of audio cue.
I could live with this as a replacement.

Havok

Had the same problem today. Just use this link to add it to your queue and then Quick Launch it without having to dig through menus. I lucked out in the end because it was in one of the 'Advertisement' slots on the main page when I gave up.

Also, ads now showing up before videos in Waypoint is a totally lame thing.

GhaleonEB

Somewhere in Games, there's a tile called Game Hubs.

New Dashboard is brilliant.

That's....rather counter-intuitive. Thanks.

It's one of worst, most badly designed UI's I've ever used. Took me 10 minutes to find the new Arcade. Most of the space is ads, while critical categories are buried in odd places.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Had the same problem today. Just use this link to add it to your queue without having to dig through menus. I lucked out in the end because it was in one of the 'Advertisement' slots on the main page when I gave up.

Also, ads now showing up before videos in Waypoint is a totally lame thing.

That's Microsoft for you. Shouldn't surprise anyone that they're shoving ads in there. If anything I'm surprised it took them that long.

Top Bottom