• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2012 Backlog Blitz - Where we give the middle finger to Steam sales

January Post - Score: -3

Current Score: -4

Games I beat this month (but were rented and don't count):

Rayman Origins (waiting on Steam release to buy)
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resistance 3

Bought in February 2012 (-5):

Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (steam)
Alan Wake CE (steam)
Jak & Daxter Collection (retail copy)
The Sly Collection: Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (psn)
Double Fine Happy Action Theater

Finished in February 2012 (4):

Sequence - This was a joy to play. I went on a crusade to obtain all items and see the secret ending, feeling like I might be getting overpowered by all the experience I got in the process, but the final couple of songs still gave a good challenge.

Darksiders - Had to play through the game from scratch on Easy as I got pretty far last year on Medium then quit for a while, and I just couldn't get back into it. Went with Easy because I didn't want that happening again. Anyway, this game is great. Cannot wait for the sequel.

Super Mario 3D Land - I could have called this "finished" last year when I got the first ending and unlocked the special levels, but I took a long break when I realized that so many of the special levels were requiring me to hunt down a lot of gold coins. This month I finally obtained the required 290 coins to open the last castle and continue to get another ending.

Psychonauts - This was my first time to ever touch this game, but somehow I feel like I can say it holds up even today. Maybe it's just the humor and imagination behind the environments, characters, story, and creative gameplay sections, but I didn't feel like I was playing a last-gen platformer. Very unique and entertaining.

Currently Playing:

Syndicate - Rental, may pick up on Origin someday. I hope someday all Online Passes follow the newly released Killzone 3 Multiplayer model, allowing you to play for free for a short time.

Dead Island - Got this on a Steam sale last year and ignored it until recently. Turns out it's a lot of fun, but it's also throwing small annoying technical issues at me left and right. Dotted paths on the map occasionally disappear, controller issue with the Quest interface, quitting the game after a checkpoint occasionally forces me to retrieve a main quest from the quest giver again, one quest seemed to complete itself at a completely inappropriate point, and a couple others I can't remember. They're brief annoyances though, after I bash a few zombie heads I forget all about them.

Asparagus

Currently Playing
Blade Runner
Duke Nukem 3D
Wolfenstein 3D

<3<3<3 those animated Blade Runner backgrounds. I need to figure out how to use them on my desktop.

Beat
Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil

Doom 3 was too long, I was ready for it to end after hell but it just kept on going. The expansion pack was OK, felt more like a mod to be honest, It was short though.

Current Score: 16

Netto-kun

Update

- Bought Ocarina of Time 3D on Monday and found Devil Survivor 2 in the mailbox today
- Been kind of busy with school stuffs, so I didn't get around to play Zero no Kiseki
- I'll avoid buying new games till I have beaten those three games

Games bought in February:
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (DSiW)
Super Mario Land (VCH)
Pullblox (3DSDL)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (NDS)

Games beaten in February:
Street Fighter IV Volt (iOS)
Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki SC (PSP)
The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd (PSP)
Super Mario Land (VCH)
Dead Nation (PSN)
Pullblox (3DSDL)

February
Bought: 6
Beaten: 8
February score: +2

January
Bought: 3
January score: +5

My Backloggery.

SmZA

Beaten in February:

Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Agent 2
Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People
Dear Esther (lol)
LIMBO
Machinarium
Mirror's Edge
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Gears of War 3

Sinople

Update for February

Bought:
Detective Saburou Jinguuji - At the End of the Dream (PS)
Fantasy Zone Complete Collection (PS2, including 5 games I've never finished)
Monster World Complete Collection (PS2, including 5 games I've never finished)
Elder Gate (PS)
Dino Crisis 2 (PS)
Rival Schools (PS)

Finished:
Wild Arms (PS): A very good RPG with nice 2D and fun dungeons. Way better than its remake. 4/5
428 (PSP): Is now officially the best VN I've played. 5/5

Total for the month: -12
Total for the year: -20
Lifetime grand total: -222
I could stop buying games and have enough to play for 10 years, lol.

Kerrinck

Update:
+10

Bought in 2012:
Tales of The Abyss (3DS)

+11
Beaten in 2012:
Ghost Trick (DS)
Star Ocean Second Departure (PSP)
God of War 2 (PS3)
Arcania Gothic 4 (Steam)
Deus Ex Human Revolution (Steam)
Lunar Silver Star Harmony (PSP)
Sonic Generations (Steam)
Dead Island (Steam)
Super Meat Boy (Steam)
Plants vs Zombies (Android)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Steam)

Next on the list:
Legend of Heroes (the crappy one)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Current Status -

My Backlog -

http://backloggery.com/Zerokku

Purchased in 2012: -5
Tomb Raider (PS1)
Okami (PS2)
Xenogears (PS1)
Rayman Origins (360)
Tales of the Abyss (3DS)

Beaten in January +8
Recettear: An Item Shops Tale
Borderlands
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Descent II
Pokemon White
3D Dot Game Heroes
Gears of War 2
Cave Story +

Beaten in February +6
LIMBO
Metal Gear Solid
Secret of Mana
Dead Space 2
Super Mario All-Stars
Half-Life: Opposing Force

Total: +9

Currently Playing:
Sam & Max: Season Two
Super Metroid
Crysis
Tales of the Abyss
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection

vall03

Its March already and I can say that Im doing great so far. Less purchases and more games being finished. Hope this continues throughout the year and finally clear my backlog. Im really loving this system. Good stats for me for Feb especially for clearing some short and fun games on Steam, never even thought that I would be able to get 100% achievements on Sequence which is my first on Steam. This may sound cheating but I marked Tales of the Abyss 3DS as finished even though I haven't. This is technically my 3rd playthrough of the game and slogging through it without the Grade Shop bonuses I got from my PS2 playthrough will take me a very long time.

http://www.backloggery.com/vall03

Purchased: -10

Jan:
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Katawa Shoujo
Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Feb:
Dark Souls
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Tales of the Abyss 3DS
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

Finished: +22

Jan:
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Tales of Vesperia
Katawa Shoujo
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
Metroid Fusion
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
LIMBO
Mighty Milky Way
Bastion
Wario Land 4

Feb:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Sequence
BioShock
Shank
Costume Quest
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
BioShock 2
Tales of the Abyss 3DS
Dungeons of Dredmor

Currently Playing:
just got Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 yesterday and this game will take me weeks, I want to finish Innocent Sin after but Graces f will be coming out already by that time.

Jan: +6
Feb: +6
Total Points: +12

nonnocere

Update - End of February

January 2012
Purchased: 0

Finished: +2
LEGO Star Wars 3 (360) - 100%
Sly 3 (PS3) - Platinum

February 2012
Purchased: -2
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360)
LEGO Harry Potter 2

Finished: +2
Uncharted 2 (PS3) - Platinum
Saints Row 2 (360) - 30 achievements, including co-op all the main missions, probably done with this one.

TOTAL: 2

http://backloggery.com/caduceus[/QUOTE]

Harry Potter dropped to $20 at Best Buy this week and my wife is now halfway through it after purchasing it on Sunday, so we'll probably wrap that up this week.

zeelman

Finished +4
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat
Gears of War 2
Modern Warfare 3 (360)
Skyrim (PC)

Bought -7
Breath of Fire 3 PSP
Crysis 2
Xenoblade
Tales of Graces F
Growlanser: Wayfairer of Time
White Knight Chronicles 2
Dungeon & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection
Halo Wars

Total -3

Couldn't pass up the Platinum Hits version of Halo Wars for $10 at Target yesterday.

And doin' even worse.

Bought: 9
Beaten: 4
Score: -5

End of Feb. update.

Bought: 12
Beaten: 5
Score: -7

Bought (had a few Steam coupons I figured I'd use before expiration):

Portal 2
Doom 3
Torchlight

Beaten:

Company of Heroes (PC, ~21 hrs) - I enjoyed the campaign a lot. The narrative presentation is a bit wonky with the different styles of cutscenes and there's some tonal inconsistencies (quiet, elegaic style cutscene followed by optional in-game challenge to kill as many fucking Germans as I can), but compared to other war games that drop you in various fronts, I really liked the focus here on one operation (Invasion of Normandy) and how the missions go into the details of each battle (gives the campaign a cohesive sense of time, action). The game mechanics are a lot of fun. I haven't kept up with the RTS genre much lately which is why I went back to check this game out, and I'm glad I did; there's a nice sense of continuity from what I remember about RTS games (base building, resource management) to modern aspects of design (selecting squads instead of individual units, using cover, capturing and controlling points). I also love the commander abilities (my favorite being the ability to drop paratroopers around the map).

Haven't invested into multiplayer yet but I figured I'd do that over the course of checking out the standalone expansions. Will probably want to play a couple smaller games or indie games or something first as a buffer before I start playing Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Updating for the end of the month.

Beaten in 2012: 7

February:

No More Heroes (2/23) - I love Suda 51's games but not for any single element. In fact if you look at the parts by themselves the games are pretty terrible. But something amazing happens when all those terrible elements are put together in just the right way.
Endless Ocean (2/24) - If I had known I was less than five minutes from the end (seriously my first dive upon resuming) I wouldn't have stopped playing back in 2009. I love the near total lack of story and the freedom to explore.
Limbo (2/28) - I know a lot of people complained about the game being too short but I felt the opposite. It began to overstay its welcome about 2/3 in and I was pretty much done with it by the time I got to the first gravity puzzle (didn't help that those puzzles sucked ass). I loved the dark and foreboding aesthetic and the minimalist style.

Previous games played:

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (1/1)
Dungeons of Dredmor (1/12)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (1/24)
Bastion (2/2)

The Ball
Beep
Nikpol: Secrets of the Immortals
Sideway: New York
Wasteland Angel
Xotix

Total Score: 1...And I was doing so well too!

Brashnir

Got my first completion for March - Mech Commander 2 - ~16 hours

After all the mech game announcements this week, (seriously, was it Mech Week on the Discovery Channel or something?) I had a hankering for some mech action. I no longer have a stick to play the Mechwarrior games with, so I decided to fire up Mech Commander. After finding that it doesn't like to play nice with modern PCs, I grabbed the sequel from the pile.

I had bought this right when it came out, but I barely have any memory of playing it at all. All my Mech Commander memories are of the first game. Since it came out in 2001, its release coincided with the peak of my Everquest addiction, so I probably played it for 30 minutes and went back to EQ. Thankfully, the game didn't ask for a CD key when I installed it, which saved me the hassle of cracking it.

Once I got the game going, I was greeted by some deliciously cheesy FMV. There was fake news programs, fake McLaughlin Group, and a few other tidbits setting up the situation on the planet Carver V. These segments would return periodically during the campaign to give updates on the world situation. There are also FMV mission briefings before each of the game's 20ish missions. Some are better than others. As cheesy FMV stuff in games goes, this isn't really that bad, but it's a nice reminder of a time that once was.

The game itself still holds up extremely well. Other than the visuals, nothing about the game really feels dated. The formula used really is timeless. For each mission, you deploy mechs up the mission's tonnage limit, stick a pilot in each one, and head out to fight. There are some minor variations and a couple interesting change-ups, but the missions mostly boil down to, "go to the waypoints and kill everything you see." You can capture resource buildings for points which can be used to purchase things like Repair vehicles, air strikes, artillery, or a plane which drops in one of your reserve pilots to take over a downed (but not destroyed) enemy mech.

Once victorious, your deployed pilots gain skill points (and might level up) and you're given the choice to salvage any mechs left on the field. It's a simple but rewarding system that really makes you appreciate the investment put into improving your pilot roster. You also get a chance to become invested in your mech hangar, with the ability to buy, sell, and customize your mechs between battles. Building a mech custom-made to suit a mechwarrior's perks is is not only fun, but it also produces results when deployed on the battlefield.

I don't think this game is available on any download services, which is a shame, because it's still an excellent title and well worth playing if you can find a copy.

Overall Score - 4/5

January +5
Bought - 4
Rayman:Origins
Gears of War 3:
Batman: Arkham City
Zen Pinball 3D

Finished - 9
Batman:Arkham City
Batman:Arkham Asylum
Gears of War 3
Rayman:Origins
Prince of Persia:The Forgotten Sands
Alan Wake
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Fable 2
Super Mario 3D Land

February -1
Bought - 4
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
De Blob 2
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

Finished - 3
Super Meat Boy
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

March - +1
Finished - 1
Mech Commander 2

2012 Total - +5 ( 8 Bought : 13 Finished )

ghibli99

Progressing really slow w/ my backlog playing through P3P and Skyward Sword. 60 hours into P3P and 30 for SS make for no +1s in the last few weeks! Having a great time with both games, though.

zeelman

Bought a Vita, so much for getting this backlog under control.

Finished +4
Gears of War 2
Modern Warfare 3 (360)
Skyrim (PC)

Bought -10
Breath of Fire 3 PSP
Crysis 2
Xenoblade
Tales of Graces F
Halo Wars
Touch My Katamari
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (PSN version for sane load times)
Valhalla Knights

Total -6

February

Bought: 0

Beaten: 1
Bastion

Playing: 3
Demon's Souls
Witcher 2
Geneforge 1

Backlog:
Beyond Good and Evil (GC)
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (GC)
Legend of Zelda:Master Quest (GC)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Devil Summoner 1 (PS2)
Brutal Legend (360)
Geneforge 2 (PC)
Geneforge 3 (PC)
Geneforge 4 (PC)
Geneforge 5 (PC)

For a score of +1

Knuckled down and finished off Bastion last month, been making progress on three fronts, but I've also fallen back into Tactics Ogre:LUCT's WORLD mode for completionists sake. :O

Asparagus

Progressing really slow w/ my backlog playing through P3P and Skyward Sword. 60 hours into P3P and 30 for SS make for no +1s in the last few weeks! Having a great time with both games, though.

That's the biggest problem with RPGs and why I'll probably end up with nothing but them in my backlog in the long run. I know I'll enjoy them but I just don't want to put in the time :(

Glaurungr

Backloggery. New entries in italic:

Bought: -36

• BEEP
  • Bunch of Heroes
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Critical Mass
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Dungeon Defenders: Etherian Festival of Love
  • Dungeon Defenders: President's Day
  • Fortix 2
  • Fractal
  • Hacker Evolution
  • Hacker Evolution: Duality
  • Hacker Evolution: Untold
  • Icewind Dale
  • Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
  • Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster
  • Icewind Dale II
  • inMomentum
  • Lucid
  • Lume
  • Max and the Magic Marker
  • Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • RoboBlitz
  • Sanctum: Slums
  • Sideway: New York
  • Soulcaster
  • Soulcaster II
  • The Ball
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault
  • Wasteland Angel
  • Your Doodles are Bugged!
  • Zombie Shooter
  • Zombie Shooter 2

Beaten: +39

• And Yet it Moves
  • Aquaria
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
  • Bastion
  • Blackwell Legacy, The
  • Blackwell Unbound
  • Blackwell Convergence, The
  • Breath of Death VII: The Beginning
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Costume Quest
  • Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice
  • Cthulhu Saves the World
  • Dungeon Defenders
  • Eets
  • Fallout 3
  • Half-Life
  • Jamestown
  • Lugaru HD
  • Magicka
  • Metro 2033
  • Puzzle Agent
  • Puzzle Agent 2
  • Samorost
  • Samorost 2
  • Sanctum
  • Sanctum: Slums
  • Sanctum: X-Mas Carnage
  • Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
  • Serious Sam 3: BFE
  • Shadowgrounds
  • Shadowgrounds: Survivor
  • Shank
  • Toki Tori
  • TRAUMA
  • Trine
  • World of Goo
  • Zombie Shooter
  • Zombie Shooter 2

Currently Playing:

• Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Current Total: +3

Had a bit of shooter binge lately, finishing up Half-Life, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Zombie Shooter 1 and 2, and the two Shadowgrounds games. I'd played HL: Source years ago, but HL felt fresh. I'm not sure if that is because I'd forgotten most of the levels or if there is any significant difference between the releases. COD 4 was good, but I'm getting a bit tired of the formula. The Zombie Shooter games were fun, but frustrating in that it was a bit too easy to not have the guns needed for the job at hand, and I really hate not being able to save.

ghibli99

That's the biggest problem with RPGs and why I'll probably end up with nothing but them in my backlog in the long run. I know I'll enjoy them but I just don't want to put in the time :(
Quality over quantity, although I feel like P3P could have easily been over by now (or soon). Judging by how many floors I have left, I'll probably be playing this one for at least another week.

I think I'm near the end of Skyward Sword, so it'll probably be about a 40 hour game by the time I'm done. I'm guessing it would have been closer to 30-35 without some of the padding Nintendo decided to put in there. Still, it could end up being my all-time favorite Zelda.

stuminus3

I beat six games in January and haven't come close to beating anything since. I decided to marathon all 7 seasons of Buffy at the end of January and barely played anything for like a month, and I haven't gotten back into a rhythm since then.

BOUGHT
  • Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Reckless Racing 2
  • Dark Souls
  • Alan Wake (PC)
  • Rayman Origins
  • Serious Sam 2
  • Serious Sam Double D
  • Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
  • SSX

BEATEN
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
  • Doom Resurrection
  • Space Miner HD
  • Halo: Reach
  • Gears of War 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1

That puts me at a miserable -4 for the year so far. Ah well, still better than the -286 (!) I finished 2011 with. My Backloggery page says I've got 1092 unfinished games. Yikes. It's time I get back into the swing of things here. Yes, I know I'll never, ever beat all of them.

I do better at beating stuff when I focus (which is hard to do with so many games)... gotta get myself to playing just one or two games at a time. I've really gotta make sure I'm always playing something on PC, too - my backlog on PC is over half of my total collection.

Aiming to beat around 20 - 30 games this year, which should be doable if I focus. Focus, focus, focus.

zeelman

The in-game counter for Touch My Katamari says it took me an hour, twenty five minutes to finish the game. I guess it doesn't take into consideration all the restarts I did for certain levels. I think I actually spent like four hours just clearing the levels.

Finished +5
Gears of War 2
Modern Warfare 3 (360)
Skyrim (PC)
Touch My Katamari

Bought -10
Breath of Fire 3 PSP
Crysis 2
Xenoblade
Tales of Graces F
Halo Wars
Touch My Katamari
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (PSN version for sane load times)
Valhalla Knights

Total -5

ghibli99

Finished Skyward Sword tonight, and updated my list. +2 overall for the year so far.

Overall, SS was a great game. I didn't like the fact that I had to re-center Motion Plus all the time, and there were a couple missions that were obvious padding (although I think that award still goes to Wind Waker), but the world and dungeon design were fantastic. Sure, Fi got a little annoying with the constant "reports", but in the grand scheme of things, she wasn't too bad. Music was also superb.

Brashnir

I'm "done" with Zen Pinball 3D. It's hard to really finish a game like this in any tangible way, but it's been running on my 3DS since it hit the eShop in the US, and I've put enough time into it that I think it's time to move on. The Activity Log in the 3DS says I've spent 10 hours, 32 minutes with the game. That time has been spent divided among the game's 4 tables. Two of the tables are brought over from Pinball FX 2, so I had already played quite a bit of Excalibur and Earth Defense before picking this up. There were among my least favorite tables in PFX2, so I spent a good deal more time with the game's two new tables - El Dorado and Shaman.

Of the two, I prefer El Dorado. I tend to like tables with fairly open playfields and a mixture of close and distant targets on the table to aim for, so this table fit in pretty well with my preferences. I also found Shaman to be an interesting table after learning a few of its quirks, and I think I preferred both of them to the tables brought over from PFX2.

While the 3D screen definitely adds something to the experience, it's unfortunate that the game seems to run at 30FPS. It doesn't feel nearly as smooth as the console offerings from Zen, and a lot of the table elements lack punch on the system's small screen and tinny speakers. The game also features extremely long loading times when starting a new table. This is a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, the load times are quite annoying when looked at on their own. On the other, they serve as a bit of a deterrent to switching back and forth between tables. Starting again on the same table is more or less instantaneous, which encourages the player to make a lot of consecutive plays on the same table and really take the time to learn its features.

Overall, I like Zen Pinball 3D. It's a solid offering from Zen for portables. It's not as good as its console brothers, but pinball and other score attack games are a natural fit for portable systems, which means I'll play this even though I already own a better version of half of the tables elsewhere.

Overall score - 3/5

2012 total: +6 (14 finished, 8 purchased)

I've been reading A Game of Thrones hoping to clear the 2nd book before season 2 starts. Have not played video games since Outland, but I did buy one and wanted to update.

Puts me at +7, for now

Beat: (+9)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland

Bought: (-2)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3

Backlog now at: 25
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

Mass Effect 3 will be top priority until I finish the campaign, after that back to reading. Once the 2nd book of Game of Thrones is done, back to gaming unless I'm super addicted to the story, which is a possibility.

Brashnir

I've been reading A Game of Thrones hoping to clear the 2nd book before season 2 starts. Have not played video games since Outland, but I did buy one and wanted to update.

Puts me at +7, for now

Beat: (+9)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland

Bought: (-2)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3

Backlog now at: 25
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

Mass Effect 3 will be top priority until I finish the campaign, after that back to reading. Once the 2nd book of Game of Thrones is done, back to gaming unless I'm super addicted to the story, which is a possibility.

Not to dissuade you from your backlog, but book 3 is the best one of the series to date.

Not to dissuade you from your backlog, but book 3 is the best one of the series to date.

O rly? I'm happy to be reading good books but yeah, it takes away from my gaming time. In my head I bundle gaming and reading as 1, at a quick glance I have 18 backlogged books on my shelf

Bebpo

Banned
Bought in 2012:
1. Castlevania LoS
2. Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing
3. Ghost Trick iOS
4. Gundam G Generation World
5. Beyond the Labyrinth
6. Resident Evil: Revelations
7. Super Robot Wars: OG Saga Lord of Elemental II
8. Professor Layton 5
9. Gundam The 3d Battle
10. Tales of Innocence R
11. Uncharted Golden Abyss
12. Hot Shots Golf 6
13. Wipeout 2048
14. Little Deviants
15. Super Stardust Delta + DLC pack
16. Escape Plan
17. Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND
18. Twisted Metal
19. Lumines Electric Symphony
20. Touch my Katamari
21. Good People Die
22. Tales from Space: Mutant Blob Attacks
23. SSX
24. One Piece Kaizoku Musou

Cleared in 2012:
1. Dead Space Extraction
2. Uncharted 3
3. Rock of Ages
4. Orcs Must Die
5. Saints Row The Third
6. Outland
7. Final Fantasy Type 0
8. Renegade Ops
9. RAGE
10. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
11. Touch my Katamari
12. Professor Layton 4

Total for 2012 = -12. Back down again :(

My problem is I'm spreading myself too thin. Been playing like 8-10 games simultaneously over the last 2 months and haven't finished almost any of them. I used to just play one at a time, or one console/pc game + one handheld. Need to get back to that, but I feel like I gotta clean up all these games I'm in the middle of!

stuminus3

One down, 1091 to go. Just completely finished Reckless Racing 2 on iOS. First place in all the campaigns, and I got gold in all 40 arcade challenges for shits 'n' giggles. Played for about 10 hours in total, I paid $4.99 for it so that's a good dollar/gameplay ratio (plus it was on sale for a buck recently, what a bargain). I wholly recommend this game to anyone that's a fan of the top-down racing genre, I don't think I've enjoyed one so much since Super Cars 2 on the Atari ST. It just feels damn good zipping around the dirt tracks with a high-end upgraded car. The only major thing I disliked was that the adaptive difficulty thing is a bit crap sometimes. Protip: when buying a new car, ALWAYS upgrade tires first, regardless of what the stats say, else you'll lose too much speed on the windier tracks.

Bought: 10
  • Reckless Racing 2
  • Dark Souls
  • Alan Wake (PC)
  • Rayman Origins
  • Serious Sam 2
  • Serious Sam Double D
  • SSX

Beaten: 7
  • Doom Resurrection
  • Space Miner HD
  • Gears of War 2
  • Reckless Racing 2

That puts me at -3 for the year. Now I face the bone crushing face melting decision of what handheld game to play next. Damn choice paralysis!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
My problem is I'm spreading myself too thin. Been playing like 8-10 games simultaneously over the last 2 months and haven't finished almost any of them. I used to just play one at a time, or one console/pc game + one handheld. Need to get back to that, but I feel like I gotta clean up all these games I'm in the middle of!

I usually have 5 games in my "Now playing" list, but the trick is to only really focus on 1-2 of them at a time. The others are for a change of pace here and there, and for something to focus on after you finish focusing on the 1-2 in your list.

For the ones you're in the middle of, shelf any that aren't story heavy or that you couldn't jump into any time in the future without anything more than a couple mins remembering the controls. Get to them after you finish the story heavy games you're working on right now, and then get back to doing just a small handful at once.

That puts me at -3 for the year. Now I face the bone crushing face melting decision of what handheld game to play next. Damn choice paralysis!

Use Backloggery's fortune cookie people. No worries about choice paralysis, and you could end up finding games you absolutely love that you wouldn't necessarily have played as soon just choosing by yourself.

ghibli99

Mid-December in P3P... my coworkers said I'm really close to the end, which kind of surprised me since I haven't even begun building social links with my party. :( Although I'm still enjoying it, I do feel like the game is way too long, so it'll be nice when it's over.

Started God of War Collection on PS3 last night. Never beat any of the games in this series. In GoW1, I'm about an hour in. Upgraded my sword once, and the new moves are pretty cool.

Mimir

Backlog: -33
  • Analogue: A Hate Story
  • Bayonetta
  • Beep
  • Bunch of Heroes
  • Critical Mass
  • Demon's Souls
  • DLC Quest
  • Dustforce
  • Fortix 2
  • Fractal
  • Greed Corps 2
  • Hacker Evolution
  • Kenshi
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • King Arthur: The Role-playing Wargame
  • Lair of the Evildoer
  • Max & the Magic Marker
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate
  • Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
  • Pineapple Smash Crew
  • Q.U.B.E.
  • Roboblitz
  • Rochard
  • Sideway New York
  • Sonic CD
  • Stacking + The Lost Hobo King
  • Towns
  • Vanquish
  • Vertex Dispenser
  • Wasteland New York
  • Wyv and Keep
  • Xotic

Beaten: +26
  • Analogue: A Hate Story
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Blackwell Convergence
  • The Blackwell Legacy
  • Blackwell Unbound
  • Breath of Death VII
  • Bulletstorm
  • Costume Quest + Grubbins on Ice
  • DLC Quest
  • Fortix 2
  • Greed Corps
  • Hard Reset
  • Lair of the Evildoer
  • Lume
  • Pineapple Smash Crew
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  • Q.U.B.E.
  • Renegade Ops + Coldstrike Campaign
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Risen
  • Rochard
  • The Shivah
  • Sid Meier's Civilization V
  • Stacking + The Lost Hobo King
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Your Doodles Are Bugged

Total: -7

The indie bundles are a huge obstacle for my backlog. I should probably be more selective in which ones I purchase, and write off some games that I have no intention of ever playing. I tend to do best when I have 1 large game, and 1 game I can play in short bursts, but I usually end up switching games way too often to finish any of them. March has been going well for me, since I completed Risen, Assassin's Creed II and Greed Corps, with no new purchases.

Mimir

It dragged on at some points, but it fixed most of my issues with the original. There are still some problems I have with the platforming system, but the improved variety and structure of the game made it worthwhile. According to Steam, I played it for 24 hours, so it's not something you'll be able to knock off your list quickly, unless you completely ignore all of the optional bits.

ghibli99

2 hours into God of War... I really like finding all the hidden chests; this part of the game feels quite Zelda-like. Traversal, etc. also borrows a lot from that series. I'm getting a little tired of the enemy waves already, but at least the new combos I'm earning are keeping some semblance of variation going.

It dragged on at some points, but it fixed most of my issues with the original. There are still some problems I have with the platforming system, but the improved variety and structure of the game made it worthwhile. According to Steam, I played it for 24 hours, so it's not something you'll be able to knock off your list quickly, unless you completely ignore all of the optional bits.
I'm more curious if you felt it was worth that 24 hours you put into it and whether it stayed pretty fun until the end. I seem to get rather polarizing opinions on this game.

stuminus3

Thanks to taking the advantage of the chance to slack off at work for a bit, I just beat Asphalt 6: Adrenaline. iOS GAF seems to have a bit of a hard-on for this game but it's pretty awful. I guess people just like the idea of playing Burnout on their phone but Asphalt is loaded with terrible physics (which makes the takedown knockdown challenges no fun at all to play), crappy framerates (which makes things difficult at high speeds), and a bucketful of frustrating and occasionally funny bugs. I was neck and neck with my opponent during a duel race when the simple act of receiving an email on my iPhone caused the guy to flip out and fly off into space. It was hilarious. Still, if I remember correctly I got it for free one day so the dollar/gameplay ratio is damn good. It is decent enough fun when it's not being shit, I guess. Took me around 6 hours or so to get through it, which sounds about right for the campaign mode of an arcade racer.

I picked up Mass Effect 3 yesterday since this nice deal cropped up. I'm currently playing through the Mass Effect series anyway (about half way through the first right now) so I'll be getting to it sooner rather than later if I don't burn out on it. I may drop something else into the rotation to keep me fresh on Mass Effect... maybe Rayman Origins or SSX or something recent that doesn't require me to follow a convoluted plot.

Bought: 11
  • Reckless Racing 2
  • Dark Souls
  • Alan Wake (PC)
  • Rayman Origins
  • Serious Sam 2
  • Serious Sam Double D
  • SSX
  • Mass Effect 3

• Doom Resurrection
  • Space Miner HD
  • Gears of War 2
  • Reckless Racing 2
  • Asphalt 6: Adrenaline

Still at -3 for the year!

Use Backloggery's fortune cookie people. No worries about choice paralysis, and you could end up finding games you absolutely love that you wouldn't necessarily have played as soon just choosing by yourself.
Heh... I've tried, but it never works out for me. I sit down and insist I'll play the first game the fortune cookie chooses. Then I'm like WTF I don't want to play that right now. So I refresh a few times until I get to something I'm in the mood for. Then I don't play whatever it is anyway. I guess I have too many 'rainy day' games.

ghibli99

About 20 in-game days from the end of P3P... I'm *so* ready for my +1 and for this game to be over. :p One of my friends said they quit playing right around this point, and it's easy to see why. It basically feels like a mindless grind to the end of January... at least the story and characters are decent. It's the only thing keeping me going right now (and some of the musical changes are good).

This is sad when I look back on my enthusiasm about this game before. :(

Murkas

Update:

Finished Rayman Origins, WIpeout 2048, Escape Plan and Super Stardust Delta.

Games I bought in 2012 so far
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles -1
Final Fantsy 9 -1
RayMan Origins Vita -1
Escape Plan -1
Super Stardust Delta -1
WipEout 2048 -1
Half Minute Hero -1

Games Finished in 2012
InFAMOUS 2 +1
Mario Kart 7 +1
Starfox 3D +1
Hard Reset +1
Bastion +1
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles +1
New Super Mario Bros Wii +1
Saints Row The third +1
Serious Sam HD First Encounter +1
Zelda Spirit Tracks +1
Red Faction Guerilla +1
Alice Madness Returns +1
Inazuma Eleven +1
RayMan Origins Vita +1
Escape Plan +1
Super Stardust Delta +1
WipEout 2048 +1

Score so far= 8

Currently Playing
Half Minute Hero

Damn Vita messing up my score!

Just getting started so I'm in the negative at the moment.

http://backloggery.com/juiceboxhero

Current Score: -6

January 2012
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Soulcalibur V

Finished: 0

February 2012
Purchased: -3
Rayman Origins Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Vita
SSX

Finished: 0

March 2012
Street Fighter x Tekken
Mass Effect 3

Finished: +1
Mass Effect - An amazing journey and to think it was just the beginning of a trilogy. Loved the cast of characters.

Currently Playing:
Mass Effect 2

Mimir

I'm more curious if you felt it was worth that 24 hours you put into it and whether it stayed pretty fun until the end. I seem to get rather polarizing opinions on this game.
If it wasn't for the DLC that came with the PC version, it would have been the perfect length. Those two sequences dragged down my experience a bit, but even with those, I'd say it was worth the time I put into it.

ghibli99

If it wasn't for the DLC that came with the PC version, it would have been the perfect length. Those two sequences dragged down my experience a bit, but even with those, I'd say it was worth the time I put into it.
Very cool... well, it's on the list, and maybe I'll bump it up the queue a bit. :) Thanks again!

dolphx

Neo Member
What are your conditions for beating that one? 1CC?

My Backlog: it isn't even complete...

http://howlongtobeat.com/userpage.php?username=dolph

Purchased in 2012: -7

LA Noire DLC (XBox 360)
Bulletstorm (XBox 360)
Yesterday (Steam)
The Next Big Thing (Steam)
Memento Mori 2 (PC)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Lost Chronicles of Zerzura (PC)

Beaten in 2012: +12
15 Days (PC)
Halo Anniversary (XBox 360)
LA Noire Main-Story (XBox 360)
Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
DJ Hero (XBox 360)
DJ Hero 2 (XBox360)
The Next Big Thing (Steam)
Tales of Monkey Island Episode 3 (Steam)
Tales of Monkey Island Episode 4 (Steam)
Tales of Monkey Island Episode 5 (Steam)
Grim Fandango (PC)

Total: +5

Currently Playing:
Bulletstorm
LA Noire DLC
Skyrim
Tales of Monkey Island Episode 4

Beat the "main story" of DJ Hero 2 and then lost my save, so I consider that beaten...

Finally managed to get 100% in Super Mario 3D Land.
Clearing that bonusstage with both characters was a bitch.

Arukado

Updated 03/14/12

Purchased in 2012: -7
Ridge Racer Type 4
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Ace Combat Joint Assault
Infamous Festival Of Blood
Wipeout 2048
Motorstorm RC
Uncharted Golden Abyss

Beaten in 2012: +9
Infamous Festival Of Blood
Sonic 4 Episode I (pc)
Wipeout Pulse + 4 DLC
Ridge Racer Type 4
Ace Combat Joint Assault
Wipeout 2048
Motorstorm RC
Mass Effect 2
Sonic 4 Episode I (android)

Total: +2

Currently Playing:
Wipeout 2048 (Multiplayer)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Uncharted Golden Abyss

On Hold: (I'll keep playing them when the time comes)
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Oblivion GOTY
Child Of Eden

Netto-kun

Update

- Finished The Legend of Heroes: Zero of Kiseki.
- Playing through Ocarina of Time 3D and Devil Survivor 2 rather slowly.
- I got a free promotional copy of Twisted Metal on Thursday, so there goes my +1! Plus I probably won't be playing that game anytime soon.

Games bought in March:
Twisted Metal (PS3)

Games beaten in March:
The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki (PSP)

Current score: 0

February
February score: +2

January
Bought: 3
January score: +5

Backloggery

Brashnir

Another one bites the dust. Finished Chrono Trigger tonight. I've started playing this game probably half a dozen times over the years, but always got distracted by other things and never finished it.

I finally got the desire to finish it after watching the Giant Bomb Endurance Run of the game a couple months back, so I pulled out my DS copy and knocked it out of the backlog.

It's one of those games that's so beloved and such a revered title that I'm not sure I feel right even reviewing it. Suffice to say that once I got into it, I enjoyed it and played through it over the course of a few days. I don't think it needs more said about it than that.

Completion time: 21 Hours on the game clock.

Overall Score - Chrono Trigger / 5

+7 now for 2012. 15:8. One more and I'll be back to a 2:1 ratio. (which means I'll feel OK buying games again, so I'll ruin it.)

Everdred

Backlog on HowLongToBeat.com

Bought In 2012:
Crysis 2
Duke Nukem Forever
GTA 4

Beat in 2012:
1. Renegade Ops
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Missing Link
3. BioShock

Total Score: 0

Backlog Priorities:
BioShock 2
Crysis Warhead
Crysis 2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Duke Nukem Forever
GTA 4
Medal Of Honor
Supreme Commander 2

Asparagus

Currently Playing
Duke Nukem 3D
Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny
Chrono Trigger

I've beat Chrono Trigger before but I feel like playing through it again and maybe even going for a completion?

Beat
Blade Runner
Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein 3D peaked at the 3rd episode with Hitler imo, the later episodes became too maze like for me. Blade Runner was just fantastic from start to finish.

Current Score: 18

Kerrinck

Fell into the hype and bought ME3. Totally worth it though.

Update:
+10

Bought in 2012:
Tales of The Abyss (3DS)
Mass Effect 3 (Origin)

+12
Beaten in 2012:
Ghost Trick (DS)
Star Ocean Second Departure (PSP)
God of War 2 (PS3)
Arcania Gothic 4 (Steam)
Deus Ex Human Revolution (Steam)
Lunar Silver Star Harmony (PSP)
Sonic Generations (Steam)
Dead Island (Steam)
Super Meat Boy (Steam)
Plants vs Zombies (Android)
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Steam)
Mass Effect 3 (Origin)

ghibli99

Laaaast battle in P3P. Can't believe I'm finally here. 6 weeks and 70 hours later. Looking forward to my +1. That will be erased in a couple days, though, since I'll be picking up Journey this week.

Zabuza

Banned
I'll give it a try! All on PS3 this time.

Bought: -3

Asura's Wrath (Haven't started)

SSX (Pretty fun, only played a few hours)

Street Fighter X Tekken (Enjoying so far, just started)

Beaten: +2

Twisted Metal (Pretty good campaign, and I'm done with multi)

Mass Effect 3 (Didn't care much for the series; ending was lame)

Score: -1

Bebpo

Banned
Bought in 2012:
1. Castlevania LoS
2. Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing
3. Ghost Trick iOS
4. Gundam G Generation World
5. Beyond the Labyrinth
6. Resident Evil: Revelations
7. Super Robot Wars: OG Saga Lord of Elemental II
8. Professor Layton 5
9. Gundam The 3d Battle
10. Tales of Innocence R
11. Uncharted Golden Abyss
12. Hot Shots Golf 6
13. Wipeout 2048
14. Little Deviants
15. Super Stardust Delta + DLC pack
16. Escape Plan
17. Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND
18. Twisted Metal
19. Lumines Electric Symphony
20. Touch my Katamari
21. Good People Die
22. Tales from Space: Mutant Blob Attacks
23. SSX
24. One Piece Kaizoku Musou

Cleared in 2012:
1. Dead Space Extraction
2. Uncharted 3
3. Rock of Ages
4. Orcs Must Die
5. Saints Row The Third
6. Outland
7. Final Fantasy Type 0
8. Renegade Ops
9. RAGE
10. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
11. Touch my Katamari
12. Professor Layton 4
13. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
14. Escape Plan

Total for 2012 = -10. Getting better. Need to finish up a few more and might even get to -5 or under!

Top Bottom