• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiro says he wants to take Phil's comments back to Japan and use them as motivation to develop better games. He says he personally interpreted Phil's comment as a kind of encouragement (a cheer) to Japanese developers.

Also, apparently Hiro didn't leave the room after the panel was done answering, he just changed seats to get out of the spotlight.

I was definitely being facetious with that, but I think you can make a pretty funny narrative that way. And I'm not at all surprised with his gracious reaction. I'm glad there was a positive takeaway.

DaBuddaDa

Fqr9l.jpg

That's all I wanted to see come out of this. It doesn't excuse anything, but it's the best you can ask for.

Codeblue

I'm glad he got to apologize directly to the guy. Everyone's minds are made up on Fish and everything there is to say has been said. I think an apology closes this out nicely.

I think the internet also deserves a pat on the back for being angry at someone and not sending a death threat for once, even if this did get out of hand.

blind51de

Banned
I mean, JRPG combat systems can be very iterative within each franchise, but they very rarely influence the genre as a whole.

Which brings me to my exaggerated post from before. Most JRPGs are based on Dragon Quest in some fashion or another. Emphasis on a stylized storyline, less freeform gameplay, less depth, reliance on gimmicks. It is Japan's king-shit videogame franchise.
Dragon Quest : JRPG :: Call of Duty : Shooters
Except Dragon Quest has been around for over 25 years.
WRPGs have problems of their own, of course.

Fqr9l.jpg

That's all I wanted to see come out of this. It doesn't excuse anything, but it's the best you can ask for.

Was that really so hard? Maybe he'll actually call him by his name instead of "Japanese dude."

He's still trying to act like he's a victim in all this, but what can you do.

Just realized that Game Informer actually did a post about this incident. Respect to them for not ignoring it like the other nuthugging/ballwashing games press out there.

Fqr9l.jpg

After reading about the Japanese dude I felt even worse for the guy. But at least Fish apologized. To be fair, none of us were actually at that GDC panel, but he could have saved himself a lot of hate by Tweeting this first instead of the initial but your games are still fucking terrible Tweet. I'm not even a huge fan of Japanese games these days, but I almost wish I knew Japanese just to Tweet the Japanese guy that not all Americans are so blunt/dicks in public settings.

Riposte

He may be a tasteless annoying individual, but at least he apologized. (I suppose it doesn't solve what really bugs me... That untested indies are treated so highly, maybe higher than all but the most revered gaming developers. That's a gaming media / GDC issue.)

Wow, this thread is embarrassing. GAF at his low.

Well, at least we know where you stand.

EDIT: Eurogamer made a post too. I like that site as far game journos go.

I mean, JRPG combat systems can be very iterative within each franchise, but they very rarely influence the genre as a whole.

Final Fantasy is definitely not a series you could say that is true and it is probably the main representative of the genre in the west. People who try to tell me X, XI, XII, and XIII (and I guess XIV, though it is XI-ish) are all the same make me lol.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Can't believe this went over two days until he clarified instead of posting weirdly agressive retorts (I guess they were meant to be funny, but I didn't get it).
I mean, come on: The press reported about it, big chunks of the gaming world completely freaked out, and he's taking days to deal with this appropriately? How is this possible?

In the meantime, Jonathan Blow lays his points out on a Gamespot video. That's how you say something meaningful in the right way. It's not rocket science. Phil even had the spotlight to get his point across, and I'm sure it would've been worthwhile to hear what he has to say. But no, "you weren't there" and that's it.

And sure, fuckin' try to make me look like a moralist dick nerd weeaboo for posting on GAF about how I wasn't down with the tone. That sure is necessary and keeps the discussion level-headed.

I'm happy with the way it went though. And I've learned a lot from this. Always be polite, be respectful, make your arguments count instead of your manners. It's a huge differentiator.

I'd still like it if he clarified because the topic itself isn't trivial, and it's not unimportant. (I'm of his opinion to a huge degree when it comes to repeated design decisions that really shine through in the majority of Japanese games, but I think our arguments are different.)

Big One

Banned
The "taken out of context" shit is complete BS, even someone on the panel mention how freaking sad the Japanese dude was. The Japanese dude was clearly shot down and he left the room after that. There's nothing out of context about that and Fish was being a very obvious douchebag.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yup, had people not gotten angry he wouldn't have bothered.

Isn't he kind of late to apologize? He "bashed?" the Japanese guy, and then he told people to "suck cock" because they (more like he) won the IGF award.

angelfly

Isn't he kind of late to apologize? He "bashed?" the Japanese guy, and then he told people to "suck cock" because they (more like he) won the IGF award.

Yeah it's definitely too late for an apology. I guess he expected this to die over quickly so now he has to try to calm the waters.

Why would someone apologize for not making people angry?

So you're saying if nobody got angry at what he did there was no reason to apologize?

randomkid

yeah i'm glad the dude apologized too, all this extra info about Hiro was kind of making phil look like a straight cartoon villain. i mean seriously, read this shit:

Apparently he paid his own way to come to GDC for the first time so he could hear some great talks and learn new things. He studied English hardcore beforehand, and even switched his language at home to English just to practice for the conference. Then, on his first day at GDC, he works up his courage to ask Fish a question, and gets berated like that.

Anyway, the guy seems like he's really nice. The response really got to him, though. He posted at 3:00am the night of the incident saying he couldn't sleep.

Found the article where Hiro was interviewed:

http://gadget.itmedia.co.jp/gg/artic...8/news098.html

At the end he asks the interviewer to not turn the article into something that bashes Phil or the industry.

Hiro says he wants to take Phil's comments back to Japan and use them as motivation to develop better games. He says he personally interpreted Phil's comment as a kind of encouragement (a cheer) to Japanese developers.

Also, apparently Hiro didn't leave the room after the panel was done answering, he just changed seats to get out of the spotlight.

This is straight after school special territory.

The dude is obviously gonna keep mouthing off thoughtlessly but whatever, that's his right. At least Noby Noby Boy is his favorite recent game, that's what's up!

Riposte

Yeah it's definitely too late for an apology. I guess he expect this to die over quickly so now he has to try to calm the waters.

It will, though. People outside NeoGAF seem reluctant to dislike him for his ridiculous, obnoxious personality.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It will, though. People outside NeoGAF seem reluctant to dislike him for his ridiculous, obnoxious personality.

A lot of people love a good heel. Though many who do, often don't consider the consequences of the heel, well, being a heel.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So you're saying if nobody got angry at what he did there was no reason to apologize?

If literally nobody got angry, there would be nothing to apologize for, yes.

I'm just being annoyingly literal. I know that you mean if there wasn't an ongoing controversy about it, he would not have apologized. But to be fair, without the ongoing controversy, one would be forgiven for thinking it wasn't a very big deal.

I didn't hear the actual exchange, so I can't speak to the extent to which maybe he meant it as a joke, but I could see someone making a dumb mistake like that. Especially if they are an impulsive, opinionated loud-mouth.

Flavius

Where was Klepek on this?

I get transcripts featuring quote upon quote from some misogynist a-hole fighting game guru, and nothing about this guy acting like a complete jerk?

You're bumming me out, Klepek...totally bumming me out.

I get transcripts featuring quote upon quote from some misogynist a-hole fighting game guru, and nothing about this guy acting like a complete jerk?

Look at his Twitter and Formspring page. His fiance just made plans to hang out with Fish, for God's sake.

Wow, this thread is embarrassing. GAF at his low.

Aside from some troll responses, how is this thread bad or GAF at its low? Guy has apologized already, so I don't want to drag this thing out any longer by this post.

If anything, GAF has taught me that you better elevate the discussion and be prepared to be able to back up any post with at least an opinion or semi-well worded response.

Hypothetically speaking, if someone made a thread asking how past Japanese games have influenced modern western/indie games and someone posted “your (Japanese) games suck" without any qualifying argument or conceit, I'd imagine they'd be banned within an hour. Now imagine if it was a developer with a GAF account and someone called them out on such a post. If the retort was I just won an award suck my dick, I'm 100 percent sure they'd be probably be banned.

I'm not trying to backseat mod the rest of the world or the real world, but what I'm saying is why is it unreasonable to expect the same kind of reasoned discussion at GDC of all places as GAF?

Riposte

He gave it a paragraph/sentence in a story about Inafune comments. Pretty flimsy stuff, but he did mention it. I held the feeling that he put his relationship with Fish before the story and that feeling hasn't been dispelled. (In fact, I'm convinced that's the case at this point.)

EDIT: It was very, very brushed over on the bombcast. Slight joking hints which would tell you nothing if you didn't already know about this.

Phil Fish is an industry friend of his. Klepek even joked on his Twitter about it.

That's how game journalism works!

Flavius

Tongue-slightly-in-cheek on that last response of mine.

But after the follow-up comments...now I'm actually bummed a bit. Dude has a good rep in the industry, and is one of the only guys still doing something akin to investigative journalism in the field.

Am I wrong to think it'd look pretty fucking silly NOT to give this more attention, particularly after the Capcom shenanigans?

Grown men referencing others as "japanese dudes" and making ignorant, blanket statements about an entire country (and appointing a guy genuinely interested in gaining some knowledge their ambassador, ripe for the mocking)?

Ah...I feel myself getting worked up way too much over this, but seriously...fuck this guy.

To defend his actions is to agree with them, and if you agree with them, then brother, I wish you much peace and clarity.

Do I need to add a winky smiley? ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It might not be fair to pile on Klepek, but it definitely stands out for him not to do anything about this incident after he just posted that expose on the shitty bastards in the fighting game scene. If he hadn't done that piece, I don't think anyone would be expecting him to write about this, but that's what happens when you set expectations, I guess.

Hard to take him seriously if his attitude about this particular incident is that "it's just ol' Fishy being Fishy!"

angelfly

It's a joke to him, I think? That's what it sounded like on the Bombcast.

On twitter he laughed at the intial apology and called it "shit phil fish says" and on the bombcast everyone laughted it off as a joke and didn't even explain it:

"Apparently phil fish said something pretty racist lolz"
"damn hipster lolz"
"take off those glasses lolz"

and that was it. In the Inafune article theres a single sentence about it and that's it.

Riposte

It might not be fair to pile on Klepek, but it definitely stands out for him not to do anything about this incident after he just posted that expose on the shitty bastards in the fighting game scene. If he hadn't done that piece, I don't think anyone would be expecting him to write about this, but that's what happens when you set expectations, I guess.

Hard to take him seriously if his attitude about this particular incident is that "it's just ol' Fishy being Fishy!"

More or less my thoughts. It is not like other places haven't written about it either.

On twitter he laughed at the intial apology and called it "shit phil fish says" and on the bombcast everyone laughted it off as a joke and didn't even explain it:

"Apparently phil fish said something pretty racist lolz"
"damn hipster lolz"
"take off those glasses lolz"

and that was it. In the Inafune article theres a single sentence about it and that's it.

Uh... They didn't say anything like that. It has hinted at way more subtle and no real negative remarks were said about Fish (or that his fashion sense is one of a screaming child).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
However Patrick sees the outrage and junk, I think he's missing an opportunity to try to get a good article going about how western indies see modern Japanese games, and to juxtapose it and design decisions and modern western indie games. It obviously is something worth writing about, and you can get sources and stuff.

Maybe he's too busy.

angelfly

Uh... They didn't say anything like that. It has hinted at way more subtle and no real negative remarks were said about Fish (or that his fashion sense is one of a screaming child).
I never said it was negative. It's the joking about that I was pointing out.

Ryan "Phil Fish is saying something offensive about the Japanese somewhere"
Patrick "What a racist"
Ryan "That asshole that hipster asshole. Take off the glasses jerk"
*laughing*
Jeff: "Come on Canada."
Ryan: "French Canada no less"
Jeff: "Home of the lapdance"
Ryan: "Lap dance and worlds greatest bagel and racism apparently"

that was the end of their Phil Fish talk and it's never mentioned again

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Also, someone should do an article on Japanese indies. Unless they're still only making bird dating simulations and pedo bullet shooters lol

What

Misguided

Banned
You guys do realize that Phil isn't the only one who worked on Fez, right? I feel like a lot of you are letting your opinions of Phil cloud your judgement of the game itself. Don't want the game but not buy it because Phil said something he shouldn't have; Renaud Bedard worked his ass off to program this thing, Disasterpeace put together a soundtrack, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom