• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition announced - Summer 2012 [Up: BG2:EE also announced]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition announced - Summer 2012 (pic announcing game):

@TrentOster:
- Given the point and click nature of BG, we won't be supporting controllers. Pointer devices only
- it will be better. We've got the code to rework the UI and rendering (re: vs Widescreen mod)
- 100% chance of new voice actors for new characters
- We're going to fix the broken bits. (re: Multiplayer)
- We're 2D isometric all the way
- There will be two games. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (includes Throne of Bhaal expansion)
- Infinity Enhanced is based off the latest Throne of Bhall codebase
- Screenshots & other platforms: Same time, next week
- Beamdog exclusive on PC (uses Beamdog client, not Steam/Origin/GOG/etc).
- We're using the 2nd Edition D&D rules.
- Mods both current and future are important. More to come.
- Beamdog exclusive. As for other platforms, tune is same time next week hopefully with 100% less explosions
- Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition will include the Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion
- Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members

Beamdog is working on the Baldur's Gate project, though the developer's Overhaul Games division is taking lead. Atari is handling publishing duties, and Wizards of the Coast is licensing its (D&D-based) IP.

Update: Beamdog reps tell us that the team at Overhaul is adding "new, original content" to the original game to make up the Enhanced Edition. "This is the Enhanced Edition, it's not a repackage. We have the original source code and are doing a significant update." He also confirms that no platforms have been announced just yet.

Update 2: A Beamdog rep also confirms that the company is self-publishing. Though he wouldn't go into detail regarding the new content, he says that "it's being lovingly crafted in the spirit of the original with the help of some of the original developers." Additionally, Cameron Tofer and Trent Oster have been working on the project ("planning and organizing") for "over a year now." We'll also hear more soon, as the team is planning "regular announcements every week with more details."
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/15/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-arrives-this-summer/

www.baldursgate.com - Not too much up yet.

Will update when more info is released.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This could be amazing.

If it's just an enhanced version of the games, like the title implies, it probably will be. BG could benefit from some graphical and interface improvements. If the developers attempt something more, they'll probably fail horribly.

jett

D-Member
lp8aG.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm gonna need to at least see a screenshot before I feel one way or another about the prospects of whatever "enhancements" this release will include.

nickcv

damn misc XD you closed the other thread while i was sending my post, now i have to write it all over again q.q

anyhow, no way they are going to change the rule set to something other then those of BG2, it would take too much work and this really smells like a small budget project to cash some quick money...

and if the only think we are going to get is just a major graphic/resolution update plus the use of BG2 rule set no way i'm going to pay more then 20€ for this... and i'm being generous...

epmode

Wouldn't a PC releases of whatever this is require Beamdog's client instead of something like Steam? If there is a PC version, I mean?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just update the graphics. That's all that's really needed.

I need to get around to playing Baldur's Gate.

Nairume

Banned
I rather have nothing to lose.

And knowing the current state of the game industry and this silly cartoon comics...
How does the cartoon say *anything* about the game? If Sarevok was shown to be in the same style as the cartoon, then there'd be cause for worry. Otherwise, it's just a silly way for them to make the announcement.

Best way to approach this until we have is "Baldurs Gate rerelease. Neat."

Perkel

Banned
Wait wat ? Why now ? Whaa.

I don't know what to say.

Most of people who care about BG are BGTrilogy with modded resolution and fully patched with a lot of aditional content they won't buy something that will be bad.

In my opinion it's bullshit. And site is 500 now.

What is portfolio of beamdog ?

But if they don't fuck it up and add things like locations and fully working multiplayer over internet i will buy it.

BG2 multi is hell to run on modern computers. For a few years i had one PC with win 98 just for bg2 to play multi.

dude

dude
How does the cartoon say *anything* about the game? If Sarevok was shown to be in the same style as the cartoon, then there'd be cause for worry. Otherwise, it's just a silly way for them to make the announcement.

Best way to approach this until we have is "Baldurs Gate rerelease. Neat."

Eh, I rather think this is going to be some horrible abomination and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around.

Especially since there's a bigger chance of me being right than wrong.

Especially because you can already play the definitive version of BG1 with tutu right now.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Site loaded for me for a moment and it was just the same as it was be4, with empty countdown... Blew my load in the other thread so eh, meh until further notice, this could be all sorts of awful or all sorts of indifferent due to minor updates, before it has a chance of being all sorts of awesome that it needs to prove multiple times before I'll buy the same games a 4th time (unless gog updates to the new versions like they have Broken Sword old & new together or I happen to get it added to my Steam etc)...

From the last thread:

No, this would be just as horrible.
BG is an AD&D game, I don't see it working as anything else.

And Minsc is a Ranger, why would he be a Barbarian?

1) His stats make him a horrible ranger (6 Wis?), 2) they would serve him much better as a barbarian, 3) one of his skills is berserker rage, and 4) it fits into his character archetype.

Barbarians didn't exist in AD&D 2.0. They were one of the last minute additions to BG2 as D&D 3.0 had just come out.

Nairume

Banned
Eh, I rather think this is going to be some horrible abomination and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around.

Especially since there's a bigger chance of me being right than wrong.
Actually, I'd say there's a bigger chance of you being wrong by virtue of this most likely just being a high-res port that is basically BGI done through Tutu.

dude

dude
From the last thread:

1) His stats make him a horrible ranger (6 Wis?), 2) they would serve him much better as a barbarian, 3) one of his skills is berserker rage, and 4) it fits into his character archetype.

Barbarians didn't exist in AD&D 2.0. They were one of the last minute additions to BG2 as D&D 3.0 had just come out.

If they wanted him to be barbarian but couldn't because of AD&D, they would have made him a fighter or something. Him being a Ranger is part of what makes him a cool character :|

Muddimar

Well it seems as though Wizards of the Coast are in on this thing. So I imagine they would update the rule set right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom